United to introduce a wage structure capped at 200k per week

RuudTom83

This strategy means that we won't be able to sign the likes of Bellingham, Enzo Fernandez, Harry Kane or essentially any players that City, Real Madrid or Chelsea want.
I’d argue there would still be a good chance United would lose out on those players going to RM, PSG or Chelsea even if United offered crazy money.

But I’m never one to get overly excited about the next big thing costing 100+ million.

It’s a part of football that puts me off watching rather than foam at the mouth in the transfer thread tbh.

Bebe

I love what ETH seems to want for this club, but I do worry about whether it's viable in football's age of moral bankruptcy and absurd financial excess.

glasgow 21

Its an interesting strategy which i agree with. Maybe we can also employ contacts of martinez/ fred/ casemiro etc and buy from the tree instead of the middle man in portugal at inflated prices.

JustinC00

This will officially kill us as being option for the better players. Can't wait to read "United's 200k salary cap is a hurdle" for future deals.

Amarsdd

This can be very possible if the wage cap is on the base wages only as incentives already form a big portion of the total wages.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yeah depends how it's set up. If the bonuses or rewards are in addition then ok. If you literally can't earn over that it's just going to stop us keeping or signing the best players.

It would lose us Rashford as pretty much guaranteed someone like PSG would just offer way above that.

How about just don't offer people wages thqt are idiotically above what they're worth to the team? There's a fairly big middle gap between not wanting to pay a good player less than a better one, and not paying £500k a week for a 38 year old who doesn't want to play for you anyway

Stadjer

Pogba crap? Again? Mate you should join the Juve forum because he is not playing here anymore and rightly so. I was just making a few examples of high salaries going wrong and they did. Di Maria should not have joined then because I do think he is quality but ultimatley if you are being paid a ridicilous amount of money I really dont care how you fancy your life in England or not. You are supposed to be a professional.
The point of my post was that players should earn their 350 000 pounds a week through their example on the pitch not taking such a pay for granted and this club as a temporary location as Di Maria did.
Would you be okay with Manchester United paying a midfielder who scores 13 goals and assisted 9 times in just the Premier League more than 200k a week? That is what Pogba did during his better years. Hate him or not but Pogba during his earlier seasons was based on his performances (and certainly if you added his commercial value) deserving of atleast 200k. It is annoying that people act that Pogba was a huge flop. He didnt live up to expectations but he performed, at the very least, okay until he became a injury prone player.

For di Maria it was well worth the risk to offer him a big contract. World class players cost money and nobody knew he wouldnt like England or that his house would be robbed. If di Maria performed like he has before and after Manchester United nobody would complain about him receiving a massive amount of money. Offering di Maria big money was worth the risk. You could hardly attract a better player at that time.

I dont care if good players are getting a lot of money or that the club takes a risk with offering a big wage to a good player to attract that player. To me it is more annoying when average players are receiving loads of money. The money Lingard was receiving was ridiculous for such a limited player that couldnt score or assist. Or Phil Jones receiving any money at all and not giving anything back in return.

MrBest

Here we are writing and considering these poor footballers that must only earn a base of 10 mill a year rather than 18m a year. I think a salary cap is a brilliant idea and those that don't want to be part of it, can leave. De gea will never find a 200k a week contract, let alone the 350k he is on now.

Here we are writing and considering these poor footballers that must only earn a base of 10 mill a year rather than 18m a year. I think a salary cap is a brilliant idea and those that don't want to be part of it, can leave. De gea will never find a 200k a week contract, let alone the 350k he is on now.
Would never work, cap yourself at around 50% of what other clubs “cap” at and you’ll be second rate in no time. Just look how the scousers were forced to break their cap for VVD and Salah and how they lost Mane.
Varane & Casemiro, our two best players this season wouldn’t be here if we had that cap.

MrBest

Would you be okay with Manchester United paying a midfielder who scores 13 goals and assisted 9 times in just the Premier League more than 200k a week? That is what Pogba did during his better years. Hate him or not but Pogba during his earlier seasons was based on his performances (and certainly if you added his commercial value) deserving of atleast 200k. It is annoying that people act that Pogba was a huge flop. He didnt live up to expectations but he performed, at the very least, okay until he became a injury prone player.

For di Maria it was well worth the risk to offer him a big contract. World class players cost money and nobody knew he wouldnt like England or that his house would be robbed. If di Maria performed like he has before and after Manchester United nobody would complain about him receiving a massive amount of money. Offering di Maria big money was worth the risk. You could hardly attract a better player at that time.

I dont care if good players are getting a lot of money or that the club takes a risk with offering a big wage to a good player to attract that player. To me it is more annoying when average players are receiving loads of money. The money Lingard was receiving was ridiculous for such a limited player that couldnt score or assist. Or Phil Jones receiving any money at all and not giving anything back in return.
Pogba was a flop through means under his control and out of. I guess the out of part is easier to align, he cost 80m, had a big wage and joined at a time where our squad was changing and we didn't really have a consistent style of play. He also never really had a solid role under each manager, always played various roles.

Things he could control was his individual performance. I think 10 or 20% of the time he played like a boss, gave us some very high level performances which caused us to dream what could be if he did it all the time. The other 90 to 80% he was either average or woeful. The amount of times he would do a bad pass, or over dribble, lose the ball in front of the defence or in general not look like he cared.

I'm so happy he has gone, right player at the wrong time with the wrong manager for me. It could have been so different.

MrBest

Would never work, cap yourself at around 50% of what other clubs “cap” at and you’ll be second rate in no time. Just look how the scousers were forced to break their cap for VVD and Salah and how they lost Mane.

Varane & Casemiro, our two best players this season wouldn’t be here if we had that cap.

There are always exceptions to be made. Most clubs including top ones have a wage structure. They look at what each player is earning, and the difference to others. The aim is to minimise the gap to avoid conflict. Goal congruence is far more important hence the salary cap and assuming a revision of how bonuses are paid and to incorporate full year and periodic performance at a team and personal level.

Woziak

How will this work if we are bought by new owners, especially Middle Eastern owners. They will want to make a statement immediately In the summer and go big with 4 or 5 players. If the new owners are buying a top CFW like Kane, An elite Midfielder like FDJ or E Fernandez these players want £300k per week, now I’m all on board with the concept and when you think someone like Ivan Toney earns 20-30k per week with his incredible numbers at Brentford, we have to accept at united there is huge overpaying and overvaluation of certain players.

The idea is great in principle but with new owners earmarked for end of March I can’t see this getting traction.

Thepinhead

It would be a stupid rule. I think a team salary cap would be better. So a percentage of the average income over the last 5 years or something like that.

Giggsy13

I think this is all being overblown. I can guarantee there won’t a wage cap under new ownership. This is all a ploy for our current shithead owners to give the impression they’re controlling costs and reigning the free spending in.

norm87cro

To summarize this long post of yours I think we both agree players SHOULD earn more than 200 000 pounds ( if they are good enough) a week we just happen to disagree who those players actually are.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The post says that Bruno, Varane and Casemiro are already within that structure.

LordSpud

I think this is all being overblown. I can guarantee there won’t a wage cap under new ownership. This is all a ploy for our current shithead owners to give the impression they’re controlling costs and reigning the free spending in.
On the contrary, I think they are setting up cost cutting measures to ensure investors coming in will know their money is not just being used to pay players. We arent getting sold.

Andy_Cole

This is because of de Gea. We’ve told him this squad wise cap so he agrees a pay cut. It’s a good thing when keeping players, so we’re not torn a new on in renewals.

Signing new players though, we’ve lost our edge.

TsuWave

Terrible idea. Yes have a trophy bonus but you need those other achievable incentives too.
You read posts in this thread and you realize how dumb the idea of fans - of the forum ilk - running a club would be. Guy said "No. Only a big bonus when we win a trophy." :lol:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
On the contrary, I think they are setting up cost cutting measures to ensure investors coming in will know their money is not just being used to pay players. We arent getting sold.
Said with your chest. Confident?

PieCrust

I agree with the sentiment of getting wages under control, but for a big club like United, an artificial £200k/wk cap is too low. Club needs the ability to attract top talent.

The problem isn't really with paying high wages to top players, it's that we keep paying high wages to mediocre, below average or unproven players, which then makes them impossible to move. Scouting has been a major problem for a long time now.

MrPaxtons

Seems pointless to bring this in when the club will be sold within 6 months, to probably a very wealthy owner who will just repeal this. Anyone think it a last ditch attempt at money grabbing ?

Shai-Hulud

I think United are being a little bit more clever here than some assume. There won't be a hard cap at 200k. 180-200k will be the cap on base salaries. With bonuses our best performing stars could probably still get over 300k. I can't imagine anything else. What, we would institute a hard cap of 200k and likely lose the likes of Casemiro shortly after he settled in here? Nah.

JamesCurran

He knew he wouldn't have liked England.

Angel di Maria's wife reveals 'nightmare' England experience after Man United move - SundayWorld.com

Laurencio

Bonuses will be where the money comes from. Not the worst idea in the world. Would prefer a 300k cap to compete for some of these players, as I think most clubs will offer larger wages AND large bonuses - but not opposed to the concept.

IRONTUSK

Seem`s an odd time for this to be implemented when the club is up for sale....

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
I think what is happening currently is clubs are offering young players long contracts on reasonable money. Haven't Chelsea just signed Mudryk on an eight year deal? But I bet it was on under 200k per week plus perfomance related enhancements.

I think Man United are right to adopt such a policy.

Vapor trail

I think what is happening currently is clubs are offering young players long contracts on reasonable money. Haven't Chelsea just signed Mudryk on an eight year deal? But I bet it was on under 200k per week plus perfomance related enhancements.

I think Man United are right to adopt such a policy.
United have been one of the worst examples for handing average players lucrative contracts. It's ridiculous how long it's taken and it seems that the hierarchy are insufficient with the manager seemingly forcing more changes than those who are employed to do the very same things. It's definitely a good idea.

fallengt

I support this
Look what happened to Sancho. Mega contract kills his motivation.

Stacker

I like the idea, but this leaves us so open to exploitation if we follow it with strict measures.

Hypothetically, Let’s say Mbappe became available, us and Man City were in the race for him. City know we don’t pay 200k a week for a player now, so they easily solve that part of the negotiations by offering a higher wage.

The only way we could keep the scales even would be to offer exceptional bonuses for scoring, assists and cleansheets from a defensive perspective. Although I do feel some of the bonuses, especially scoring, would bring out a lot of selfishness in front of goal where a pass would have been a better option.

I’m loving my life

This is fine but we need a clause that if a player is a waster they get less money.

Without this change you could have Rashford 22/23 performing his bollocks off every single game getting paid similar to Phil Jones for gurning and spending the rest of his time with his feet up.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Stupid clause.

Just be more aggressive and firm in negotiation and evaluation. Break the bank for some but stick the gun with others.

Players like Jones cant and have no where to go he'd take any offer with both hands and two feet.

We need to get ruthless but at the same time savvy if we have too.

No need to cap our own knee with self impossed rule

wolvored

Is this 200k a week cap set in stone anywhere or is it just a rumour off someone 'ITK'? Its probably bullshit if not, and even if it is there are easy ways to get round it. The player gets 100k everytime he plays, gets 50k every time we win, 50 k every goal or clean sheet etc etc.