United v Chelsea 2006-2008

thepolice123

A bit off topic but the 07/08 season was really an excellent season in terms of the quality of the top teams in the league. United were probably the best in the world with Chelsea not too far off but even Arsenal only ended 4 points off United and lead the season for most of the way. Liverpool's team with Gerrard and Torres at the peak was also very good. Think this was backed up by the fact that the Champions League final was United vs Chelsea with Liverpool knocking Arsenal out to make the semis.
Liverpool and Chelsea had their strongest XI of the decade. For Arsenal it was probably their second strongest XI.

Robertd0803

We were the better side. The trophies prove it. The only way they won in 2009 was because of shit referring decisions in both games against them.

But that Chelsea side was better than some sides that actually won the league. They were rock solid and were just immense. Them dropping points was a massive surprise whenever it rarely happened.

The Champions League final was between the 2 best sides in Europe at the time no doubt.

They always felt like bigger rivals than Arsenal.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I think their lack of flair in an era when attacking football is elevated (Barca 04, Utd 08, Barca 09-11, Bayern 12-14, Dortmund 11-13) works against them in the general perception.
The one thing that Chelsea team of 2006-08 lacked was a player like Hazard.

Otherwise they were immense. World class goalkeeper, defence, midfield and striker.

thepolice123

On a sidenote, how good was Ballack for them? I remember we were close to signing him but he chose Chelsea instead(?). He was pretty shite for them in his first season and I was convinced he would be a Sheva-like flop. Amazingly enough he managed to turn it around and become a key player for them.

Shame our own German legend did not work out as well.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
On a sidenote, how good was Ballack for them? I remember we were close to signing him but he chose Chelsea instead(?). He was pretty shite for them in his first season and I was convinced he would be a Sheva-like flop. Amazingly enough he managed to turn it around and become a key player for them.

Shame our own German legend did not work out as well.
Tbh I don't think he played particularly well over four years in terms of a consistent basis.

He practically dragged us into the title race in 2008 and did a good job covering DM in the title run in of 2010 but in his first and third season's I thought he was pretty meh all in all.

thepolice123

Tbh I don't think he played particularly well over four years in terms of a consistent basis.

He practically dragged us into the title race in 2008 and did a good job covering DM in the title run in of 2010 but in his first and third season's I thought he was pretty meh all in all.
He was already past his peak when he came to London. Considering the fact you got him on a free, I'd say it was a decent deal. One of my favourite players, I was dead cert he was going to sign for us back then. I even had him in my FIFA team. :lol:

AshRK

They were a top side from the 2004 days. Hated playing against them even when we had Ronaldo Rooney Tevez trio. I will always rate Jose 2004 to 2006 as one of the best in PL. They were very unfortunate to not win CL during those time.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I always felt like every time we played them they were at full strength & we’d have players like O’Shea, Fletcher, Park etc in. I’d be interested in seeing the team sheets from our games with them from that period. I remember us beating them 3-0 at OT in that game Ronaldo & Giggs did that excellent corner goal straight from the training ground which was incorrectly disallowed.

Cloud7

That Chelsea side was really fearsome. Not many sides have truly worried me in the PL the way they did. Even Pep's city and Klopp's Liverpool, good as they are, haven't struck fear in me the way that Chelsea team did.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
We should’ve faced each other in 2 consecutive CL finals, not sure if it had ever happened before, even including pre-CL years. Barca was a better team than we were in 2008/09 and probably, on paper, better than Chelsea but Chelsea should’ve gone through instead of them in 08/09.

I absolutely dreaded every game against them at the time, it always felt like Mou had Fergie’s number. It got a bit better after he got sacked, but not by that much. Historically we have a slight advantage — not only because of the trophies, but because we had Cristiano, who was probably the X-factor that made the difference in a very tight race. A combined XI would be a fun exercise — but it would be a coin-toss in so many areas like between, say, Rio/Vidic and Terry/Carvalho & Cole and Evra...

thepolice123

We should’ve faced each other in 2 consecutive CL finals, not sure if it had ever happened before, even including pre-CL years. Barca was a better team than we were in 2008/09 and probably, on paper, better than Chelsea but Chelsea should’ve gone through instead of them in 08/09.

I absolutely dreaded every game against them at the time, it always felt like Mou had Fergie’s number. It got a bit better after he got sacked, but not by that much. Historically we have a slight advantage — not only because of the trophies, but because we had Cristiano, who was probably the X-factor that made the difference in a very tight race. A combined XI would be a fun exercise — but it would be a coin-toss in so many areas like between, say, Rio/Vidic and Terry/Carvalho & Cole and Evra...
Their team was miles better than us in both their title winning season. We were slightly better in 06-07, that was also the season when the Mourinho and Abramovich relationship started to go south.

We really should have beaten his Real Madrid team in the CL too. Nani's red card turned everything around for them.

Wanderlust_09

The Bridge was such a strong fortress back then.
I hated us playing there. 86 game unbeaten run at home, and no body is anywhere close. That's just mind-blowing.

bsCallout

I believe that Chelsea team would be the hardest match up for any team throughout history. Hated playing them.

Web of Bissaka

Never felt confident playing against that Mou's Chelsea, even when we're with all our best players available. Cech's unfortunate head injury weaken the side a lil bit as he wasn't just the same no more, then Shev and Ballack joined and disturbed their first 11 momentum to my eyes, but they're still damn strong and always dangerous with core players eg. Terry, Drogba, Lampard etc. Rise of Vidic and Evra calmed my nerve a small bit.

Mou sacked and I feel so much better, more confidence vs them.

The flip side is each time we score, it felt so damn great! considering how tough their defenses are.