United vs City = Catholic vs Protestant?

redzeppelin

Manchester, unlike the rest of Lancashire, owes its large Catholic population to Irish immigration. There is a strong anti-Catholic tradition in Manchester which finds peculiar expression in Football with Manchester United traditionally representing the Catholic immigrants and Manchester City representing the native Protestants. Even today many supporters of the more overtly Protestant Rangers also claim to support Manchester City for this reason.
Is there any truth in that?

born&raisedred

from what my grandad used to say (a catholic) there used to be an aspect of this. plus i think busby was a staunch catholic

Small Paul

The Legendary Pool perve
It is known that United were the more Catholic club. My dad moved to Manchester(from Dublin) when he was 10, they were all more or less pushed towards United (Thank feck)!!

Edit: Although he did end up being a city fan after going to see them more regularly later in the 70's, must have been when all this religious stuff died down. Anyway all my uncles and older brothers ( bar one scouser), remained United fans.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
saw a thing about Trautmann recently. seems he was a pretty good player in his day. a goalie, iirc.

why would the jewish fans pick City over United (before the Trautmann era) - Plech?

R*v*N

Ruud's agent, United's biggest shareholder, loves
United vs City = Beauty vs Beast

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
utdalltheway said:
saw a thing about Trautmann recently. seems he was a pretty good player in his day. a goalie, iirc.

why would the jewish fans pick City over United (before the Trautmann era) - Plech?
I never heard that before.

Thinking of people I know, my dad's United, the rest of his immediate family's City, and the family up there in general is pretty much split. The only other Manchester Jewish family I know are City.

It could be simply that City were the glamour club up until the late forties United were the "rags", so they had more support generally? I don't know to be honest.

In Glasgow, where there's also a large Jewish population, the majority support Celtic but not by that much, surprisingly given Rangers' fascist links. It may be that some have drifted away from Celtic since they started bringing out Palestinian flags...and Rangers have followed suit with Israeli ones. :lol: spastics

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
speaking of Trautmann. it seems if a name has 2 "nn"s at the end like his it's German, if it's only one "n" then it's jewish? Is that true and if so, what's up with that?
did the extra "n" cost more?

Plechazunga

Hehehe...cnut. It's probably because "-mann" is the German and "-man" is the English, so when German Jews came here and anglicized their names they made it "-man".

My mate's cousin was a big Rangers supporter, used to follow them home and away. When he died, a load of hard bastard Rangers heads turned up at the funeral, which apparently looked pretty odd next to all these orthodox Jews...though they behaved impeccably, apparently.

Spoony

The People's President
Plechazunga said:
I never heard that before.

Thinking of people I know, my dad's United, the rest of his immediate family's City, and the family up there in general is pretty much split. The only other Manchester Jewish family I know are City.

It could be simply that City were the glamour club up until the late forties United were the "rags", so they had more support generally? I don't know to be honest.

In Glasgow, where there's also a large Jewish population, the majority support Celtic but not by that much, surprisingly given Rangers' fascist links. It may be that some have drifted away from Celtic since they started bringing out Palestinian flags...and Rangers have followed suit with Israeli ones. :lol: spastics
Most Jewish folk from the Manchester area support United.

But it;s true about United being a Catholic club historically and City a Protestant one.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
The Kippax Kid said:
many years ago it was the case.

City also had a large jewish support which apparently waned for a time after the signing of bert trautmann
He played with a broken neck didn't he?

Spoony

The People's President
Plechazunga said:
Right. Yep, I'd never heard that about more of them being City till Kippax said it

Everyone wants us on their side cos we have klezma music, and helicopter gunships

The reason is because the Jewish population of Manchester historically has been concentrated. . .(orginally) in Cheetham Hill, and the affluent parts of Manchester, such as Broughton Park, Prestwich and Whitefield. Those areas are red through and through. Hence why United has a huge Jewish following.

Plechazunga

I see. I thought they went from Cheetham Hill out to Prestwich etc as they got better off, being replaced by a newer influx of Pakistani immigrants.

My family's from Cheetham Hill, which was certainly far from well off at the time

Spoony

The People's President
Plechazunga said:
I see. I thought they went from Cheetham Hill out to Prestwich etc as they got better off, being replaced by a newer influx of Pakistani immigrants.

My family's from Cheetham Hill, which was certainly far from well off at the time
Have to say, those middle class Jewish areas are well nice.

Plechazunga

Are the Hasids well off? The ultra-orthodox sorts with the silly hats?

Down my way they're well shabby, look like they live in a box in the cellar...but I went to Antwerp a while back and they're all sharp as feck, they actually looked cool. Diamond trade, I think.

Spoony

The People's President
Plechazunga said:
Are the Hasids well off? The ultra-orthodox sorts with the silly hats?

Down my way they're well shabby, look like they live in a box in the cellar...but I went to Antwerp a while back and they're all sharp as feck, they actually looked cool. Diamond trade, I think.

The ultra-orthodox types are well minted. Live in mansions, the lot of them. Obviously not ALL of them, but you get the picture. Not all in those parts are ultra-orthodox though. The modern types are probably even more wealthier.

dicko

Donado said:
He played with a broken neck didn't he?
In the 1956 FA Cup Final. He dived for the ball at the feet of Murphy, a Birmingham forward. It was fairly late in the game and there were no substitutes in those days. Trautmann didn't realise the extent of the injury until a few days later.

Apparently he was unlucky not to play for Germany. He must have been a remarkable man to overcome the prejudice of former enemies and become one of City's most popular players. He was also named Footballer of the Year a few days before the final.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I remember the visuals from that game...he saved a few more by diving at the forwards feet.

Drogba with a broken neck would be a sight to see...

Spoony

The People's President
The Kippax Kid said:
have the biggest city supporters club.

to say it around there is red is false.

Don't be silly. M25 and the whole area is Red. Check the percentage of season tickets for both clubs in that area. That old pdf is proof.