United Women sign Lotta Ökvist

Lightbringer

This is a quick translation from the swedish press release to english that I just made, the following was a joint statement from Hammarby and Lotta Oqvist:

Also see post #13 in this thread for a more in depth interview.

Lotta Okvist to Manchester United

Hammarby and Manchester United have agreed on a transfer for Lotta Okvist. The left back came to Hammarby from Orlando Pride in the summer of 2018 and even decided to stay with the club after Hammarby was relegated to the swedish 2nd division last season. Lotta has kept her place in the swedish U-23 national team despite playing in the 2nd tier division. Lotta leaves as Hammarby leads the league and is on track for promotion to the top division again. Now, a new adventure starts in england. -" We are hoping Lotta has had such a great time with Hammarby that she wants to come back in the future", said sport chief Johan Lager.

Lotta Okvist played six 1st division games for Hammarby in 2018, scoring one goal. Okvist has not only impressed with her defensive work, she has also been a vital force that has Hammarby scoring a lead leading 48 goals, providing many crosses and passes that lead to goals. She has had 9 assists, and scored in her last 2 games against ASSI and Borgeby last sunday. A brilliant way to say goodbye.

The transfer to Manchester United means United buys out Okvist from her current deal with Hammarby, the contract with United is for 2 years, with an option for a 3rd.

Sport chief Johan Lager:

"- We are happy that we can produce and supply players to the biggest clubs in europe. We are very pleased with Lottas time with Hammarby, both on and off the pitch. She is a pro that always gives everything for the team.

Lotta Okvist:

" I want to thank Hammarby for a great year for my development, from being relegated to fighting for promotion, it shows the club are heading the right way. I hope to return to Stockholm this fall to celebrate promotion, and my performances has contributed to that.

Leaving Hammarby was not an easy decision to make, I have during the summer decided between other swedish clubs and also other foreign clubs in germany and spain. I realized quickly I did want to play for any other swedish team than Hammarby. Manchester United feels like the exact right step in my career at this point. United showed the greatest interest and it feels like their scouting has been and thorough"

https://www.hammarbyfotboll.se/aktuellt/nyheter/lotta-okvist-till-manchester-united/

Last edited:
Reactions: jojojo

Gordon S

Great to have a swedish player in our womens team as well!

Lightbringer

Should I translate the swedish press release from Lotta and Hammarby to english?

Andersons Dietician

I know nothing about her but her instagram account looks decent even if it looks like her boyfriend wears crocs.

Lightbringer

That would be wonderful and much appreciated. Google translate doesn't really do justice to these things!
My pleasure. I just updated the first post with the translation. I can probably provide some photos and videos of her in action as well as I follow Hammarby very up close. I will provide my general thoughts of her as player later.

Sorry if I posted the content in the wrong thread btw, I could have sent a PM to you with the information as I cant start threads as of yet!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
My pleasure. I just updated the first post with the translation. I can probably provide some photos and videos of her in action as well as I follow Hammarby very up close. I will provide my general thoughts of her as player later.

Sorry if I posted the content in the wrong thread btw, I could have sent a PM to you with the information as I cant start threads as of yet!
Thanks for the translation. It was an interesting read. It sounds like she has some of the same characteristics as Alex as well - a good defender but also good at assisting the attack.

How much longer does the Swedish season have left? Will Hammarby still get promoted?

Lightbringer

Thanks for the translation. It was an interesting read. It sounds like she has some of the same characteristics as Alex as well - a good defender but also good at assisting the attack.

How much longer does the Swedish season have left? Will Hammarby still get promoted?
One of the main swedish newsapers aftonbladet just ran a lenghty and interesting article about Lotta Okvist joining Manchester United, I will have make sure to translate it tonight and post it here. Its much more interesting that the press release, more of a deep dive. And from that article you will learn much more about Uniteds plan for Lotta and her as a player etc.

Oh, ITS FRONT PAGE NEWS on the swedish biggest newspaper. "CHOCK TRANSFER TO MANCHESTER UNITED" :-)

Hammarby has 8 games left on the current season and sits tied 1st on goal difference, with the 3rd team trailing by only 3 points, and the 4th team just 4 points off. So it will be very very tight. Losing Lotta will be a big blow, so for that reason I am a bit torn, just hope we can manage still to get promoted.

Womens football is pretty big in sweden and on the uprise, womens sports and equal rights for women and men in sports are very much trending, so thats why this is big news.

Hammarby just broke the league record in the 2ND division last week with a crowd of 2293.

Last edited:

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Nice to see we've got a replacement in for Greenwood quickly. Any idea if she'll be our first choice LB, or back up to Kirsty Smith?

Grande

One of the main swedish newsapers aftonbladet just ran a lenghty and interesting article about Lotta Okvist joining Manchester United, I will have make sure to translate it tonight and post it here. Its much more interesting that the press release, more of a deep dive. And from that article you will learn much more about Uniteds plan for Lotta and her as a player etc.

Oh, ITS FRONT PAGE NEWS on the swedish biggest newspaper. "CHOCK TRANSFER TO MANCHESTER UNITED" :-)

Hammarby has 8 games left on the current season and sits tied 1st on goal difference, with the 3rd team trailing by only 3 points, and the 4th team just 4 points off. So it will be very very tight. Losing Lotta will be a big blow, so for that reason I am a bit torn, just hope we can manage still to get promoted.

Womens football is pretty big in sweden and on the uprise, womens sports and equal rights for women and men in sports are very much trending, so thats why this is big news.

Hammarby just broke the league record in the 2ND division last week with a crowd of 2293.
Great with some local insight, even though it’s tough to lose a player in a title fight. Be interested to hear about her as a player. Is it true her talent is mostly going forward?

Lightbringer

Great with some local insight, even though it’s tough to lose a player in a title fight. Be interested to hear about her as a player. Is it true her talent is mostly going forward?

I am happy to assist - I dont expect Hammarby to sell any more players to United in my life time :D This will probably be the only thing I can bring some insight that other fans cant.

Here is the longer interview I promised below - it took longer time to translate that I expected - and please pardon the not perfect english, its not my native language. Its a good practice though to translate something like this as best as I could.

Swedish talent Lotta Ovkist to Manchester United:

2019-08-20

Manchester United is making a huge splash with their newly started womens team. When the club had to replace their captain Alex Greenwood, they picked swedish talent Lotta Okvist.
The 22 year old is bought out of Hammarby. In an interview with us the promising left back reveals details of the unique transfer, her most important career choice and the hope of making the swedish olympic team 2020.

"- It feels incredible exciting to be a part of Uniteds project with womens football.
---
Complete calmness sets the tone at Vegagatan in Sundyberg. Lotta Okvist is enjoying the last few days in sweden. The future feel alluring, a big step in the career is around the corner and only details remain before the unique transfer is complete.

A life without a civil job and full focus on the football in an environment that is growing rapidly both football-wise and economical. The 22 year old left back is moving from Stockholm and playing for Hammarby in "Elitettan" to Manchester and one of the ladies womens footballs latest ambigious projects. On tuesday afternoon Manchester United confirmed they have recruited Lotta Okvist, which will the clubs first swedish player.
---
Manchester United was without a womens football team for 13 years, and choose to prioritize its academy. But changing times brought back a womens team and last season the new team won the 2nd tier with Casey Stone as the manager. In september its premier in the highest league, a derby vs Manchester City.
---
And it will be with a complete fresh left back on the pitch, Lotta Okvist is bought directly to replace Alex Greenwood, who joined United last year and now has left for Lyon.

When Okvist visited Manchester it was made clear to her that she was replacement for Greenwood.

"- The coach said that to me, its important for me and an oppurtunity I could not say no too.

The contract is for 2 years, with a further 1 year option, is more proof that Lotta is part of the clubs long term plan. The meeting with the club made an impact on Lotta:

"- I was positively surpised, it was a very professional. It was me and my fiance Jacob Sagmeister and my agent Michael Kallback who went there. They came and picked us up at the airport and took us to the mens training facility. There awaited the coach, sporting director and media personel. The guy who handles the housing of all players were all there, the came with the entire army.

Lotta describes the meeting as well planned:

"They told me about the clubs history and showed us some videos. Then the coach took over and gave a presentation, the first thing she did was to show a photoshopped picture of me in a Manchester United shirt. She explained why they wanted me as a player, and the thought process behind. They are playing very offensively 4-3-3 and is pushing high and forward with the wing backs. The coach said my best abilitys fits well with their system, which feels great because that means the coach has good knowledge about me as a player.

Real Madrid also showed interest.

The United managment also pointed out the possibilites that comes along with such a strong brand and economical power. "- They said they would also build me up as a personal brand, and not just as a player.

Q. How do you feel about being a part of one of the biggest clubs in the world?

- "It feels amazing. I had not realized completely how big of a club United is before I visited. To be part of that and the ladies team that is just in the beginning of the journey and to have the whole organization behing is fantastic.

Real Madrids newly started womens team also showed interest, but Uniteds interest were more concrete and tempting.

"-Madrid is supposed to win the league and is recruting world class players, while it feels like Manchester is building more long term. They won the 2nd tier last season and has many young british players in the team.

United is buying out Lotta from her contract with Hammarby, according to our sources 25 500£, which is pretty big fee in womens football. Lotta Okvist did not want to mention any amounts, but is well aware her club Hammarby gets compensated.

"- It feels good, I had contract the year out and if I had left then Hammarby would have gotten nothing. At least now they get something and feels like a fair solution for both clubs.

Q. You will be club teammate with Victor Nilsson Lindelof, do you know him?

-" I see matches with him playing, but dont know him personally. But is fun that there is a swede at the club, and I follow Victor and his wife on social media.

Lotta Okvis have been a key component of Hammarby and has delivered. 18 assists and 2 goals this season, Hammarby is fighting for promotion back to the highest league (Allsvenskan).

This season has had a huge impact for Lotta personally. Last fall she made an important decision to return to sweden after a problematic USA-time. She picked Hammarby to get plenty of playing time and after some injury concern she got on the right way.

When Hammarby were relegated from the 1st division the top clubs were lining up for her signature. It went as long as Lotta sitting in front of contract with Linkoping, but changed her mind at the last second.

"- Deep within me I always knew I wanted to stay at Hammarby. To play for the top club in sweden was maybe a chance I would never get again and I felt pressure from the outside - but I felt I need one more year with Hammarby and take even more responsibilty and be more confident as player.

Her decision got mixed reactions as some were supporting while others condemned her choice.

"- They told me I had ruined my career, but I just focused on myself, that its up to me how good I can become".
---
Facing this new adventure in Manchester, she carries the strength and experience gained from her time abroad in USA. In the spring of 2018 she joined Boston, but a late owner change upended the plans brutally.

"The league were required to offer us a new team. I had 24 hours to decide if I wanted to be part of their draft or not. "I just said, lets go. Houston picked me in the 2nd round, but there was a misunderstanding. They already had a left back and traded me to orlando who just needed to fill out the roster. As a person to come to a new country with all the changes without anyone to ask, made me grow as a person. In Orlando Alex Morgan and Marta played, so it was a really good team"

Q. How were Morgan and Marta towards you?

"- They were nice, but it was tough training. But I got some tips and I also felt what it was like to be a professional football player, which was really motivating.
---
In Manchester Okvist will get the chance to be a professional full time player. The move to United is also a strategic decision to improve her chances of reaching the swedish national team. She played in the swedish U-19 team that won the EUROs 2015.

"Obviously, I have that in my thoughts, and its also a factor in this decision. To play games in the 2nd tier division and break into the national team is a big step. Now I will ge the chance to train and play against world class players every day. I will get all the conditions to show that I can play at this level.

Next up is a U-23 national team tournament in Loughborough, two hours from Manchester. Lotta Okvist is looking for a place to live and on monday she passed the medical exam. Lottas fiance who plays floorball, will travel back and forth to sweden to start with.

"We have found a neighboorhood where we want to live, its close to town. It feels like United is really trying to help us and wants us to fit in.

With the practical stuff sorted its soon time to deliver on the pitch.

"I think the physical and direct game in england should suit me"

Lotta Okvist about:

Herself as a player: "I am a very offensive minded left back, I cross well with my left foot. I have made 16 assists this year. I am also a very hard working player, very physical who likes to attack on the flanks. I am not a dribbler, I prefer combination plays.

Favourite team in england: "I have not had a favourite team really, but now I have one."

Her new salary: "Its always been a goal to live by playing football only and I will be able to do that now. Its going to be great just focusing on the game. But we google what the men are making and its a bit of a difference......."

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolandofgilead

Stadjer

Sherida Spitse said no to a United transfer .
She did. A while ago actually.

I dont like her when i watch some of our national team. She knows how to take a free kick (most of the time) and has a good shot and long pass for women football but she is so slow. Female Matic would be a insult to Matic.

Lightbringer

A few videos if anybody is interested in seeing her in action for her swedish club Hammarby etc:

Highlights from Lottas last game for Hammarby (Hammarby - VS ASSI) Lotta scored the game winning goal in the 79th minute: https://htv.solidtango.com/video/se-hojdpunkterna-fran-segern-mot-assi--2

Highlights: Hammarby VS Lidkoping: https://htv.solidtango.com/video/se-hojdpunkterna-fran-6-0-krossen-hemma-mot-lidkoping

Highlights: Hammarby Vs Umea IK - league leading Umea vs 2nd placed Hammarby clash in Stockholm: https://htv.solidtango.com/video/se-hojdpunkterna-fran-3-2-segern-over-umea-ik

Aftonbladet TV interview after signing for united: https://www.aftonbladet.se/tv/a/293631/komma-till-landslaget-ar-ett-langsiktigt-mal

Interview: https://htv.solidtango.com/video/lotta-kanns-valdigt-spannande-bra-energi-i-laget?
Interview: https://htv.solidtango.com/video/lotta-infor-premiaren-kommer-bli-magiskt?qid=5385581

Last edited:

Lightbringer

Great stuff @Lightbringer quality posts.

PS: She's hot. :drool::lol:
Thank you. I am happy to contribute.

This is probably Lottas best goal for Hammarby, beauty of a strike: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=255880758616049

And below is a great video of the stadium and crowd Lotta has been playing for in Hammarby - the best fans in scandinavia. The womens team even have fans singing songs and cheering the entire games, just as the mens team has.

At the start of the video the teams enter the stadium, you can hear Hammarbys team anthem, pretty much like a national anthem, at the end when the music stops you can hear the whole stadium singing acapella, its great.

---
Some pics: