United's biggest problem - Our spoiled and overly entitled fan base

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Can we just stop with all the sniping and insulting each other. If you don’t agree with a point either argue against it or just move on. CBA reading about who is a bigger United fan or insults like “shills”.

Rusholme Ruffian

Can we just stop with all the sniping and insulting each other. If you don’t agree with a point either argue against it or just move on. CBA reading about who is a bigger United fan or insults like “shills”.
:lol::lol::lol:

Says the guy who started a thread calling our fanbase 'spoiled and overly entitled'...!?

Seriously, anyone that can't see through your antics must be extremely naive.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
This thread does read a bit like look at me I'm a great fan, so many of you aren't you should be more like me because I'm been positive. Postitivty doesn't = good

Bottom line is every fan wants their club to meet its targets or achieve the best it can, has United done that over the past decade? No! Has the club made a lot of mistakes? Absolutely! So, fans have a right to feel disgruntled that isn't entitlement that's wanting what's best for the club!

Having said that I agree there are some idiots on social media, but most fans just want the club to well run and have faith in the direction it is heading after the amount of cock up's there has been over the past 6 years, its hardly surprising there is a feeling of negativity around the fan base.

Rusholme Ruffian

I don’t get how those points contradict each other in the slightest.
you don't think that starting a thread saying that United's 'biggest problem is our spoilt and overly entitled fan base' is sort of a) insulting and b) implying that you are a bigger/better United fan? Kind of rendering this statement a complete joke:

AllezLesDiables

The fan base is a fault just not for the reasons you listed. By continuing to support the Glazers fans are tacitly approving the manner in which the club is being handled. What is transpiring is much more insidious than what happened at Blackpool or Blackburn.

Those owners didn’t have a massive legacy like United with massive funding so when they made messes of the club and openly mocked the fans it was only a matter of time before they would run their course because the asset, the club, would run out of value.

With United, it’s more like a cancer building its strength and after 20-30 years it reveals itself and the whole club is ravaged.

Rusholme Ruffian

Think it's safe to say that anybody that wanted David Moyes, LvG and Mourinho to be sacked is spoiled, no?
Eh? You called me (I assume) a spoiled little Princess, and then use this as your reasoning?? Firstly, I wasn't on this forum during the Moyes and LVG era, and secondly, if anything I thought that Mourinho should have been properly backed last summer given that the board had extended his contract a few months previously. What you on about old chum?!

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Eh? You called me (I assume) a spoiled little Princess, and then use this as your reasoning?? Firstly, I wasn't on this forum during the Moyes and LVG era, and secondly, if anything I thought that Mourinho should have been properly backed last summer given that the board had extended his contract a few months previously. What you on about old chum?!
Me i'm not arsed, i'm just going with the flow, BUT whilst it(the spoiled fans)is not the biggest problem at the club it's as much to blame for our current plight as the Glazers, or Ed Woodward are, though for some strange reason most are reluctant to admit it. I guess it's just easier to blame somebody else.

Krisbijoy

Most posts in this thread are spot on for the title. The irony.

Rusholme Ruffian

Me i'm not arsed, i'm just going with the flow, BUT whilst it(the spoiled fans)is not the biggest problem at the club it's as much to blame for our current plight as the Glazers, or Ed Woodward are, though for some strange reason most are reluctant to admit it. I guess it's just easier to blame somebody else.
Please can you explain exactly what you mean by this? In what possible way could our incredibly loyal and largely patient fanbase be 'as much to blame for our current plight as the Glazers or Ed Woodward'?! It's frankly mental to even suggest it.

freeurmind

weak willed
Stadium crumbling, squad struggling to beat the likes of Cardiff and Huddersfield despite eye watering wages being dished out, club share price tanking, no director of football as promised but the real problem is people on twitter.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why does this thread keep showing up in the feed when I've ignored it?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Stadium crumbling, squad struggling to beat the likes of Cardiff and Huddersfield despite eye watering wages being dished out, club share price tanking, no director of football as promised but the real problem is people on twitter.
Where on earth do people get that the stadium is crumbling from?

ManBitesDog

Yesterday United's young talented goalkeeper Joel Pereira turned 23. He's a fringe player in the squad and unlikely to ever make much of an impact. He's only been involved in the first team on three occasions and only one of those was a start in a Premier League match. A meaningless end of season game against Crystal Palace. To celebrate the player's birthday, United's twitter posted a fairly innocuous birthday message. And then it began.

"Announce Wan-Bissaka" said the first reply. The next was a picture of the Crystal Palace right back in a United shirt. Posts flooded in saying that the club was 'embarrassing' for not announcing the new Manchester United player. Conspiracies floated around that United would be announcing the signing a day late to coincide with an anti-Glazer protest that is apparently planned. Details of this event seem sparce, but seem to involve tweeting a lot by fans who live in foreign countries. Apparently United would be so upset by a few thousand tweets that they would be willing to change the details of a £50 million pound signing.

This recent idea that United are 'embarrassing' seems to have seeped into everyone's consciousness. United are trying to get new scouts. 'Embarrassing'. United sign a few hungry young players from the Premier League. Embarrassing. United are linked with big money moves for Bale or such like players. Embarrassing. But it becomes painfully obvious reading this forum, reading social media or comment sections on websites, that is the behaviour of the fanbase that is increasingly embarrassing.

United currently spend the most on wages in the Premier League. The club has spent 300 million on transfers in the last three summer windows and recouped about 50 million of that. They are the only big club to have spent money in the Premier League so far. They are the biggest spenders in the league so far this window. But that isn't enough for some United fans. They inundate message boards across the internet asking for more investment, more transfer activity and specifically signing players that they have identified on Football Manager.

The fact is United are currently operating in the right way. We have signed a talented young player from lower leagues. Response to this signing has been mixed, almost as if signing players from Championship clubs is beneath us. Nevermind the small outlay or the potential of the young player, he's already written off by some. We have followed this up by clearly improving a weak area in our squad with a defender who was statistically the best right back in the league last year. We have got him for a reasonable fee with plenty of time left. Still some complain that he isn't announced, like that matters in any way shape or form.

United fans complain about the lack of 'deadwood' moving on, but we have taken steps to sort this with Valencia, Fellaini and Wilson leaving the club. Players such as Darmian and Rojo are expected to join them shortly afterwards. These deals take time, but fans are impatient, desperately trying to get the next hit of dopamine from a transfer rumour posted by a Reddit ITK.

It is not acceptable at this stage to be so miserable about United's upcoming chances. As a fanbase we need to get behind the players. A few years ago we laughed as Klopp had his players celebrate after a 2-2 draw with West Brom. But Liverpool fans bought into what was happening and despite a relatively low spend since then, Klopp has been immensely successful.

United have a new season starting soon. We are spending money, improving the squad and working towards getting back to our perch. It might not work, but please stop being so overly dramatic, especially before a ball is even kicked. Let's get behind our young legendary manager and our new team and see if we can kick on.
Never post here but came on to applaud this. Well said.

Renegade

Isn’t the “announce ...” on social media a tongue in cheek thing all footballs fans are doing?

predator

Youth NITK
I'd love to agree but the club is in a worrying state of affairs right now and to think otherwise is admirable, actually.

I cant really argue with our spending since fergie retired. I think we've splashed out considering we broke the world transfer record and also have one of the worlds highest wage bill. We should be in a better position than we currently are though.

Imo, facebook comments, tweets and even this forum have little affect on our players actual performance. From my experience footballers thrive of the stadium they play at, the players they play with, the management they play for and the wages they are paid. For instance when you go to OT and you've seen the vast majority of the crowd singing Jose's, Pogbas or De Geas praises you wont see them referring to social media opinions in post match interviews. It's crazy to see the stark contrast in feelings towards the team from the match going crowd to the internet folk.

Having said all that it's easier to vent behind a screen than it is in person. All the hashtags and social media are just giving the club more hits, more exposure and ultimately bad press is good press.

predator

Youth NITK
To add from my previous post -

What will it take before the board (I say board and not owners because the owners, with all due respect, aren't fans but American businessmen) take action? At least the board, despite how incompetent they are, probably acknowledge how big a club this is not only commercially but historically.

I'm only 24, I wasn't old enough to see the demise of liverpool or even Leeds but what is currently happening at the club is definitely worrying. We are in a different era now with state sponsored oligarchs owning clubs but we as a commercial monster have shown we can spend, we can pay top wages yet we are not progressing at all.

We are being managed terribly in all aspects and ultimately the glazers are culpable, despite them allowing such money to be spent. They would go up in my estimation if they actually showed more interest in the welfare of the club if that meant they were more frugal.

Apokalips

I really struggle with this place these days. The hysteria is crazy, so many mood swings!

The latest craziness surrounding DDG really gets to me. Yes the lad had some poor form at the end of the season, but some of the revision art statements about his ability are appalling.

As fans we demand loyalty, yet we talk about and treat players like DDG and Pogba (see last game at OT with the fan) this way? Is it any wonder that players will naturally want away from the constant negativity.

Rusholme Ruffian

I really struggle with this place these days. The hysteria is crazy, so many mood swings!

The latest craziness surrounding DDG really gets to me. Yes the lad had some poor form at the end of the season, but some of the revision art statements about his ability are appalling.

As fans we demand loyalty, yet we talk about and treat players like DDG and Pogba (see last game at OT with the fan) this way? Is it any wonder that players will naturally want away from the constant negativity.
You think Pogba and DDG will be treated better by Madrid fans if they end up there?!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
The problem is unfortunately United seems a strange club. In that, we had a problem after Busby, now the same after Ferguson. A bit of a pattern......
To try and break away from that culture seems to cause us problems historically. Hell even Liverpool had a problem for years before Klopp. It's just one of those things.

I don't doubt we'll get it right. Will probably take a while knowing what we're like, but we will be ok eventually. I just hope they get it together before I die:lol:
:lol:

You're not that old are you?

VanGaalyTime

The difference: we're paying their wages. We deserve a certain level of respect and hardwork. And if fans feel like they aren't getting that, they have every right to have a go at the player. It's why Diego Forlan was never jeered despite his lack of ability. Fans, especially matchgoing fans, know when a player isn't putting the effort in on the pitch. And they also know exactly how much these players earn in a week. If the players expect a certain level of respect, they must in the work on the field and give that respect back to the fans. Otherwise it'll continue to get ugly.