United's biggest problem - Our spoiled and overly entitled fan base

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I kid you not, he answered with yes on that question. Yep this whole thread is on WUM mode on.
Why would you be negative on Ole based on what we saw so far?

He came in. Improved on prior regime. Had a negative net spend. Played a more attacking style of football.

As of right now, don’t see why you wouldn’t be behind Ole. The fact he’s a club legend is a massive benefit as well.

C'est Moi Cantona

This is what I mean.

Woodwood absolutely said nothing. You've latched onto newspaper reports and taken it as fact. There was nothing substantial to a lot of these rumours, but because they haven't happened you're annoyed.
It wasn't rumours, it was a clear brief, and the DOF stuff has just been, well, 'embarrassing'.

Giggsyking

You've sort of just confirmed the point of the OP's post. Yeah the football hasn't been great most of the time but we still won more than Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs in the last 6 years. It was only with the CL win that Klopp has finally redeemed himself. Our fans are self-entitled and spoiled. If we don't beat Chelsea at the start of the season, there will be fans shouting for Ole out, I can guarantee it.
The title say the fan base is the biggest problem. How is that right? The fans are not managing the club, not managing the players, and certainly not playing. The fans are the smallest problem we have.

decorativeed

I think the op really is describing the phenomena of modern idiots interacting with modern technology.

My wife works as a curator in a football club's museum. She'll spend six months working on a project or exhibition and when the club puts something up on social media about, nobody engages with that story, they just flood the comments with irrelevant shit like "sign player x!" and "sack the manager!".

In short, the world's biggest problem is idiotic and unreasonable people. I don't think United's biggest issue is the fans, that is a 'problem' largely alleviated by having a well run club and ignoring the idiots.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The title say the fan base is the biggest problem. How is that right? The fans are not managing the club, not managing the players, and certainly not playing. The fans are the smallest problem we have.
Yeah, fair enough. Agree that the fans aren't the biggest problem, not by a long stretch. But my other comments stand.

C'est Moi Cantona

I don't give a feck if people find it frustrating, getting bent out of shape on rumours everyday is stupid. Criticize the Glazers and Woodward all you want ofcourse, but being negative and moaning about everything is ridiculous.
So I can criticise the thing that is killing our club, yet can't be seen as been 'negative & moaning' & doing it, & to be clear that is my only problem with us, not stupid rumours about players, etc, as I believe nothing much will change until this does.

Last edited:

R'hllor

Why would you be negative on Ole based on what we saw so far?

He came in. Improved on prior regime. Had a negative net spend. Played a more attacking style of football.

As of right now, don’t see why you wouldn’t be behind Ole. The fact he’s a club legend is a massive benefit as well.
How the feck you pulled that question out of my reply on your mental "Yes" answer. Actually dont answer that, i have to go and dont have time right now to deal with trolling wuming wombo combo.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Imagine spending thousands of pounds expecting a quality service and being displeased when it fails to live up to expectations... shame on you.

People on twitter comments generally seem like aliens who've never interacted with humans before so I wouldn't take them serisouly. But how can you begrudge someone for not being happy with the way we've operated for the last few years? If fans weren't investing a tonne of money, then it'd be correct to call them spoilt but, holy cow, there are some who've probably spent close to £5,000 over the last few years and for what? 6 or 7 games of entertaining football?

And didn't you complain the day we appointed Mourinho? You must be the leader of the twitter crowd.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Yesterday United's young talented goalkeeper Joel Pereira turned 23. He's a fringe player in the squad and unlikely to ever make much of an impact. He's only been involved in the first team on three occasions and only one of those was a start in a Premier League match. A meaningless end of season game against Crystal Palace. To celebrate the player's birthday, United's twitter posted a fairly innocuous birthday message. And then it began.

"Announce Wan-Bissaka" said the first reply. The next was a picture of the Crystal Palace right back in a United shirt. Posts flooded in saying that the club was 'embarrassing' for not announcing the new Manchester United player. Conspiracies floated around that United would be announcing the signing a day late to coincide with an anti-Glazer protest that is apparently planned. Details of this event seem sparce, but seem to involve tweeting a lot by fans who live in foreign countries. Apparently United would be so upset by a few thousand tweets that they would be willing to change the details of a £50 million pound signing.

This recent idea that United are 'embarrassing' seems to have seeped into everyone's consciousness. United are trying to get new scouts. 'Embarrassing'. United sign a few hungry young players from the Premier League. Embarrassing. United are linked with big money moves for Bale or such like players. Embarrassing. But it becomes painfully obvious reading this forum, reading social media or comment sections on websites, that is the behaviour of the fanbase that is increasingly embarrassing.

United currently spend the most on wages in the Premier League. The club has spent 300 million on transfers in the last three summer windows and recouped about 50 million of that. They are the only big club to have spent money in the Premier League so far. They are the biggest spenders in the league so far this window. But that isn't enough for some United fans. They inundate message boards across the internet asking for more investment, more transfer activity and specifically signing players that they have identified on Football Manager.

The fact is United are currently operating in the right way. We have signed a talented young player from lower leagues. Response to this signing has been mixed, almost as if signing players from Championship clubs is beneath us. Nevermind the small outlay or the potential of the young player, he's already written off by some. We have followed this up by clearly improving a weak area in our squad with a defender who was statistically the best right back in the league last year. We have got him for a reasonable fee with plenty of time left. Still some complain that he isn't announced, like that matters in any way shape or form.

United fans complain about the lack of 'deadwood' moving on, but we have taken steps to sort this with Valencia, Fellaini and Wilson leaving the club. Players such as Darmian and Rojo are expected to join them shortly afterwards. These deals take time, but fans are impatient, desperately trying to get the next hit of dopamine from a transfer rumour posted by a Reddit ITK.

It is not acceptable at this stage to be so miserable about United's upcoming chances. As a fanbase we need to get behind the players. A few years ago we laughed as Klopp had his players celebrate after a 2-2 draw with West Brom. But Liverpool fans bought into what was happening and despite a relatively low spend since then, Klopp has been immensely successful.

United have a new season starting soon. We are spending money, improving the squad and working towards getting back to our perch. It might not work, but please stop being so overly dramatic, especially before a ball is even kicked. Let's get behind our young legendary manager and our new team and see if we can kick on.
Great post.

JK-27

Entitled fan base, or entitled society?

Using the response to a tweet as evidence is a drop in the ocean of the shit show that is social media in general. It's not our fans, it's society.

TsuWave

Why is there always a dig at foreign fans? :confused:

I’m pretty sure I saw local fans getting involved with that tweeting protest too

RoyH1

Entitled fan base, or entitled society?

Using the response to a tweet as evidence is a drop in the ocean of the shit show that is social media in general. It's not our fans, it's society.
This is a real good point. I don't think the United fandom is in any way worse than the rest of society. Most debate nowadays takes place online and social media; there is little nuance or sense of proportion. It's all black or white.

Kostov

I agree with you . We might be spending money but we have been spending money in a scattered crazy way the past 6 years . That is nothing to try and be positive about. We might pay the most in wages but that is nothing to be positive about . It shows the people running the club do not really have a plan. Our signings over that period show we have no plan no strategy ! I do agree we have to back Ole because he deserves time to make it better but to blame fans for being impatient is pathetic. Are we meant to sit back and say nothing while these Americans are pushing our club downwards
We have been spending money generated by the club and so much has been milked by these parasites. My biggest issue is how incompetently they are running the club regarding the team strategy and the football side. I will back Ole but a proper structure needs to be created alongside him.

Andersonson

We've become a worse forum than RAWK. Our fanbase as general aswell. Only whining and ' i know best' mentality.

Great post and I agree 100%

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think the op really is describing the phenomena of modern idiots interacting with modern technology.

My wife works as a curator in a football club's museum. She'll spend six months working on a project or exhibition and when the club puts something up on social media about, nobody engages with that story, they just flood the comments with irrelevant shit like "sign player x!" and "sack the manager!".

In short, the world's biggest problem is idiotic and unreasonable people. I don't think United's biggest issue is the fans, that is a 'problem' largely alleviated by having a well run club and ignoring the idiots.
Yeah, the social media stuff isn't isolated to United. During any transfer window, pretty much every tweet from a football club has loads of replies consisting of "announce so and so".

Rista

Even if the fans are spoiled, which is true for every single big club, how is that in any shape or form the clubs biggest problem? It's a stretch to even call it a problem. Funny how some people can't take criticism just because they don't agree with it and yet they've been negative in the past. So obsessed to be seen as a "good fan" that all rationality goes out the window.

justboy68

Biggest problem in what sense? Idiotic comments on twitter or message boards obviously have no impact on success on the pitch. If you are talking about club image then most fans of other teams hate us anyway for our success under SAF, so what difference does it make?

Tarrou

This is the world today

The difference with United is we have more fans than most so we have more idiotic fans too

As for it being out biggest problem, nonsense. We are being run by clowns, that is our biggest problem.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why is there always a dig at foreign fans? :confused:

I’m pretty sure I saw local fans getting involved with that tweeting protest too
I only meant in the way that the people complaining about the ground are often people who never go. In which case it’s clearly not actually the ground they care about.

thejtrain

You can't have your cake and eat it too. United, nor any other top club, is merely a football entity anymore - they are a brand and they sell a product. When you sell a product, you are expected to deliver. You can't say the customers are acting entitled after attracting so many of them through the years by both footballing and non-footballing means. Don't like them? Just don't worry about the fans, play however you want to, and watch them leave in numbers, but know that you can't complain about your finances afterwards.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Imagine spending thousands of pounds expecting a quality service and being displeased when it fails to live up to expectations... shame on you.

People on twitter comments generally seem like aliens who've never interacted with humans before so I wouldn't take them serisouly. But how can you begrudge someone for not being happy with the way we've operated for the last few years? If fans weren't investing a tonne of money, then it'd be correct to call them spoilt but, holy cow, there are some who've probably spent close to £5,000 over the last few years and for what? 6 or 7 games of entertaining football?

And didn't you complain the day we appointed Mourinho? You must be the leader of the twitter crowd.
I mean there was a period under LVG and Mourinho where I spent about twelve games in a row without a win. :lol:

I’m just going to my mates now where I’m giving him 300.00 to get some tickets tomorrow.

Football clubs aren’t like a traditional business at all.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Considering OP is one of the most hypocritical posters on this forum, this rant shouldn't come as a surprise. If you wanted to rant, at least be transparent about it. Imagine using social media as a barometer to prove your point :rolleyes:

We are run like an absolute joke from top to bottom, where not a single person wants to take responsibility. Be it Glazers, Woodward, Managers or Players. Couple of new signings and 'top reds' like you have conveniently overlooked that its still the same hierarchy who's making these calls. You mentioned we got rid of deadwood in Valencia, Fellaini and Wilson. They should've been booted long time ago and there's plenty of deadwood still around who we actually rewarded with shiny new contracts i.e. Jones, Young and Mata. There's no structure in place, a search for DoF who'd serve as a bridge between the board and manager is long dead. So ultimately, if new signings don't work out. Manager will cop the blame, sacked for wasting money and we'll repeat the cycle again. Our academy is in shambles and we have no sort of philosophy or style for 1st team, never mind hoping for it to be same across all levels.

The only reason you're singing a different tune is because the signings are to your taste and the manager is one you believe in. This will change all very quickly once things go south. There are much much deeper issues than the club, spoiled and entitled fans are in nowhere part of it.

And yet I am happy we are taking a well needed fresh approach now. I am willing to give them time with the hope that they will get their sh*t together. I realise 6+ years of mismanagement will not be resolved overnight, it is ridiculous to think otherwise.
What fresh approach do you see now? The fact we signed couple of young players? You do realize we still don't have a clue who's making the final calls on these signings, whether its Ole or Woodward or some sort of technical transfer committee. On whom do you think the axe will fall if these (and other youngsters) don't work out?

We still don't have any footballing structure at highest level, its basically what CEO and manager deem fit. Any top club after 6 years of mis-management would be establishing groundwork first and foremost, as to what direction the club wants to take. The entire club from first team right to U-16s would work along those lines, a certain set of philosophy or style where the players are bought/sold in line to the football we want to produce in the future. I see absolutely nothing on that front, I just see Ole trying to establish his imprint by buying young British players. If things don't work out, he'll end up getting the boot. Next manager may or may not subscribe to the quality of his signings, and the cycle will repeat itself again.

Last edited:

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Biggest problem is probably a bit of an overstatement but I agree with the general sentiment of the OP. The constant moaning and unwarranted negativity is tiresome. It’s like people would moan over anything and everything the club does. It’s alright not to be in agreement with everything the club does but the moaning and negativity just never seems to end. In fact I don’t think even under Moyes or LvG the whole environment around this club has ever been this negative, when instead I was hoping this summer being Ole’s first would be the opportunity to look forward with hope.

After doing the same thing for six years without success, we’re trying something new now, it should be exciting times yet people will complain no end.

Brazillian_tekkers

OP missed the point, first of all the protest you are referring is to be held at Old Trafford, maybe now you will approve since it doesn't involve fans from "foreign countries"?

Why is that any fan who voices a concern is seen as "Spoiled" and "overly entitled" but when they are proven right it's brushed under the carpet and everyone is told to "get under the new manager" and "fans stick together" when the inevitable happens?

What is concerning some fans is that there seems to be no clear plan to take the club out of this slump. We were fed lies about change in structure and a methodical process to select the best possible manager, instead they hired the manager on a whim based upon a fluke come back over PSG.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
This was written years ago by one of our esteemed Caftards - Glaston. It was hilarious back then and still is now! It's relevant again. Enjoy!

But - oh dear! - some United fans are NOT happy at hearing that Dier will NOT be playing for them next season. They WANT WANT WANT, and stamp their feet and get all huffy because DADDY is not giving them what they WANT WANT WANT.

But DADDY can't give them what they WANT WANT WANT because - and contrary to what they've led to believe - DADDY has to deal with other daddies, some of whom couldn't give a stuffed parrot for what DADDY'S little children WANT WANT WANT.

So DADDY'S little children will have to wait until Xmas for their next batch of shiny new toys, even tho' they got tired of the last lot before the end of January had arrived and soon WANTED WANTED WANTED more.

Eriku

It what world do consumers bend over and accept a substandard product. Only football and only United. Football is still a product. It's is marketed at the top end. We would be fine dining michilan starred if we were a restaurant, an iPhone level phone, a Ferrari level car, A Hollywood a list movie etc

If any of these companies produce a substandard product what would happen? Say the new release of iPhone is rated 6th best phone and that happened for 6 years! Say you went to a michilan starred restaurant and the food was no better than an average restaurant. The consumers would be up in arms. Social media would hammer them.

Same for Utd. We have been fed sub par crap for 6 years. We don't need excuses. If you buy a phone and it's crap you don't care Apple had some difficulties but they spent a lot in development and tried really really hard. You just want a good phone.

And this applies to the top clubs as well. Real, Barca etc fans would be protesting in the street and by now. But at Utd you are hammered for complaining. Stiff upper lip chaps. Pants down, turn around.
You’re happy viewing United as a commodity like this?

Are you taking your business elsewhere if United v20 has a less pleasing user experience than what you see your friends with the new iCity enjoying?

Christ.

Sir Scott McToMinay

To me, our biggest issue post SAF were the complete lack of planning in place, incompetence across the board, the owners, the managers, the scouting system and most of all the bang average players we’ve had and still do, most are nowhere near good enough to play for this club.

Our fans’s supposed entitlement on social media is an absolutely non issue, at a proper big club like Madrid or Barcelona people would be rioting outside the training ground every day if their team went from being successful to a mid-table team, we’ve been shit, really really shit these past 6 years, and it was all salvageable, it still is, but it’s going to take a long time.

But to each their own I suppose.

Swearing Budgie

BS. People are rightfully angry. Our club has been shit for the last 6 years. The quality of the football has been poor, the results just as bad. We don't owe Manchester United anything. Fans pay for a service and have subscribed to a service for years and years. We expect a basic quality of product in return.

Right now our football is dire and our performances are drab. We've been through 4 managers - concensus is that the squad needs an overhaul.

While clubs with similar financial firepower are making leaps and bounds (Real Madrid), we've been dilly dallying. Most of our crap players are still here. Fans should be protesting the dross bring served up at games, boycotting matches if we're still playing Lingard at RW and other daft shit like that. Replying negatively on twitter is nothing.
100% this

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Fans are asking for a clear sensible direction, commitment and never say die attitude we are famed for. The club sold that values to us the fans and reaped billions. When Ole showed improvement over 10 games fans were happy, we secured no trophies there, made no signings then. Fans don't feel entitled, they feeling the club not doing its best to deliver the values it sold. 6 years is a long time.. Most of my sports wear is adidas now. My insurance? AIA.. They impact fans livelihood. And all they are asking is commitment to success. Very few occasions that was evident on the pitch.

Zen86

You’re happy viewing United as a commodity like this?

Are you taking your business elsewhere if United v20 has a less pleasing user experience than what you see your friends with the new iCity enjoying?

Christ.
Indeed.

There are a lot of posts in this thread that only reinforce the OP. Football is not a ‘product’. People can complain all they want about if we were this or that, but the fact of the matter is this is a competitive sport, you are not entitled to win every game, you are not entitled to always win trophies, and you are not entitled to always like what you get. That is the whole point of supporting a club.

If people do not understand that, they are better off following whoever is winning.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Indeed.

There are a lot of posts in this thread that only reinforce the OP. Football is not a ‘product’. People can complain all they want about if we were this or that, but the fact of the matter is this is a competitive sport, you are not entitled to win every game, you are not entitled to always win trophies, and you are not entitled to always like what you get. That is the whole point of supporting a club.

If people do not understand that, they are better off following whoever is winning.
It's fast becoming a product, if it already isn't.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Did the fans pick the previous three managers, make the signings over the last 6 years, give insane contracts to has-beens, overindulge prima donna wannabes and take over a billion quid out of the club!? Because if they didn’t then how exactly are ‘they’ the biggest problem?

It’s the fact the fanbase is so huge that results in the commercial deals which will allow Ed and his gang to embark on rebuild take 4 this summer.

Eriku

Indeed.

Exactly.