United's biggest problem - Our spoiled and overly entitled fan base

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
You think Pogba and DDG will be treated better by Madrid fans if they end up there?!
If the limit of our aspirations as supporters is only to be better than Madrid, then we all need to raise the bar. There is undoubtedly a toxic feel around this forum at present.

redIndianDevil

Me i'm not arsed, i'm just going with the flow, BUT whilst it(the spoiled fans)is not the biggest problem at the club it's as much to blame for our current plight as the Glazers, or Ed Woodward are, though for some strange reason most are reluctant to admit it. I guess it's just easier to blame somebody else.
:lol::lol:. How exactly do you work this out?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We are in top 3 clubs in the world when it's comes to wealth and prestige. Yet we have been struggling to get top 4 for years now and our squad is still dross despite spending huge amounts of money and have a huge wagebill. The problem is not the fans.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I didn't know that when United lamenting 6th, fans are the biggest problem.

And if fans in the Caf being nice and polite, the players would become world class and don't act like a prick.

VanGaalyTime

We are in top 3 clubs in the world when it's comes to wealth and prestige. Yet we have been struggling to get top 4 for years now and our squad is still dross despite spending huge amounts of money and have a huge wagebill. The problem is not the fans.
Exactly. I assume the person who created this thread thinks United shouldn't be competing with Liverpool and Man City? That's what the fans demand and it's literally the least they should expect from the world's wealthiest team.

Treble

United's biggest problem is that football plays second fiddle to business and former investment bankers are responsible for footballing decisions.

He'sRaldo

I can see where the OP is coming from, in that the pressure from the fanbase to win a league or champions league has lead to unhealthy decisions from the management, as well as unhealthy pressure on the players, most of which are young and can't handle it.

I wouldn't say it's our biggest problem though; although I suspect the title is hyperbolic, not meant to be taken literally.

Noc-Z

ffs
If there really are "spoiled and overly entitled" fans out there I don't think they are a problem to the club whatsoever. I don't think they have any effect at all on the teams performance or financial status.

But I think things like bad managerial appointments and poor player recruitment and team planning do (for example).

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Exactly. I assume the person who created this thread thinks United shouldn't be competing with Liverpool and Man City? That's what the fans demand and it's literally the least they should expect from the world's wealthiest team.
We will be competing with them this season hopefully.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Its football guys. Give yourself a break.

Old school fans knocking younger fans. Whats new.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'd say our fanbase isn't critical enough. We've shown a lack of ambition since we sold Ronaldo and Tevez and brought in Valencia and Michael Owen. Since then we've missed out on so many quality realistic signings. Real Madrid or Barcelona fans wouldn't tolerate this shit show we've had for 6 years so why should we?

G_and_T

I can see where this OP is coming from, and yet I feel it's unfair on the MU fanbase, most of whom aren't on twitter hurling abuse at the players or club. Fans are frustrated, but each match they have shown up and supported the team. The frustration is largely with the way the club is being run and I share that frustration because there doesn't seem to have been a coherent recruitment policy over the last 5 years. I think Ole is changing that - getting rid of Fellaini and now I think he is moving on other players too. I mostly roll my eyes at the comments on twitter - one person compared Longstaff to Jones, two players who play different positions, which makes me think a lot of these fans don't watch any other team aside from United. But that aside, what's wrong with wanting your team to be the very best? Even if you do sound entitled...
Anyway, I am excited about the new season, I think there will be a few more changes over the next couple weeks and we will have a young attacking team. We might not win the league but I think Ole is going to motivate them more than Jose ever did and we will see some exciting football.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Do you honestly think our supporters are worse than any other cross section of millions of people?
Absolutely yes, but its a different scenario to most - we are in the same phase as the Scousers were for many years. Used to be being the best and struggling to adjust the mindset, and because we aren't the best then everything about the club must be a shambles, and everyone can't help but mention it as often as possible.

A lot of it is perfect hindsight. I had no issues with Van Gaal or Mourinho being appointed - they didn't work out. Same with many of our players. This place was ecstatic when we signed Sanchez - it looked like a huge coup for us - didn't work out. It happens.

Its been a decent summer so far. Certainly no reason to think next season will be anywhere near as bad as the last.

Rusholme Ruffian

Absolutely yes, but its a different scenario to most - we are in the same phase as the Scousers were for many years. Used to be being the best and struggling to adjust the mindset, and because we aren't the best then everything about the club must be a shambles, and everyone can't help but mention it as often as possible.
Hang on, so you think that there is something intrinsically different about our fans that makes them react in a way that is different to how any other group of fans would act if they were in a similar scenario? Don't be ridiculous - people are just people, whatever team they support. It's the circumstances that dictate how they react.

Also, this a discussion forum, of course there are going to be people having a moan - this is exactly where they should be doing it. What about our matchgoing fans (of which I am one - not that it matters a jot) who are as loyal as can be when in the ground?

As a club we are being left behind by our closest rivals, and certain things about the club are a shambles. Should everyone just swallow that down for fear of being seen as disloyal on a bloody discussion forum?!

Its been a decent summer so far. Certainly no reason to think next season will be anywhere near as bad as the last.
We finished 30 points off the leaders last season - you think that a right-back and an unproven youngster from the Championship represents a 'decent summer so far'? Especially given that our 2 genuinely world class players both want out. It's clearly too soon to write the summer off, but I think you are viewing this through a ridiculously over-optimistic prism. And as for the last sentence - did you miss the last quarter of the season? Worst form for 60 odd years?

The thing that frustrates people is that we could be the best again. We make shitloads of money. With a proper footballing structure put in place, a top class manager, and owners that were committed to making us the best in Europe there's no reason why we couldn't be. To want that is not being spoiled. If we aim for that and fall short then that's fine. It's the not even aiming for it that understandably disappoints people.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Me i'm not arsed, i'm just going with the flow, BUT whilst it(the spoiled fans)is not the biggest problem at the club it's as much to blame for our current plight as the Glazers, or Ed Woodward are, though for some strange reason most are reluctant to admit it. I guess it's just easier to blame somebody else.
What did the fans do to cause United lamenting 6th? By moaning on the Caf?

The one that could affect the players on the field are matchgoers. So are they the problems?

tenpoless

If you think the "online" fans who talk shit all the time about the club and players on twitter are the problem, You just haven't visited enough places on the internet. Here let me surprise you, it happens for every thing that exist online, never mind something as huge as ManUnited.

Reddit, twitter, youtube, facebook, They have always been the base for the newer generation who mostly see the world much differently than the older generation. It's also part of meme culture, which is spreading like wildfire.

I remember even when We had Van Persie and Fergie was still here, there were people complaining about how We should have done better in the transfer market and Anderson is only useful for 50 mins, etc, in ManUnited fanpage on facebook. I remember it clearly. Hell, even ManUnited official forum (don't know if it still exists after the website redesign) also consisted of posters moaning.

You can get away saying stuffs on the internet. Most people like attention, the other need an escape from stress in real life and talk shit on social media. If you blame the younger generation for United's problem, then you might as well blame all of them for everything because it's how They fecking live at the moment. Don't like it? You don't have to participate.

Real Madrid has the most spoiled fanbase in world of football and They're doing alright (before this season, excellent). Most of younger City fans didn't know the color of their home jersey 9 years ago and They're doing very good. Liverpool fans talk the most delusional stuffs on the internet and They're doing very good.

Blaming twitter for ManUnited's lack of direction. Baffling.

redIndianDevil

I didn't have to work it out, it's common sense.
More like lack of sense surely. The Old Trafford crowd which can impact on the players have been nothing but extremely supportive these last 6-7 years. Do you really think few Twitter trolls and WUMs on forums have any real impact on the success or the failure of our club?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
More like lack of sense surely. The Old Trafford crowd which can impact on the players have been nothing but extremely supportive these last 6-7 years. Do you really think few Twitter trolls and WUMs on forums have any real impact on the success or the failure of our club?
You are joking yeah? The home support is as poor as the away support is great, it's laughably bad at times and usually when the team needs their support the most, no more needs saying.

And do you seriously believe that United(and every other football club for that matter) don't have a dedicated team that keep their eye on social media to gauge the mood of the fans, and the club(s)use the info gathered to make important decisions based on it(how else can you explain Jose fecking Mourinho becoming the Manager), so yes it does have an impact - I'm sure some fans think posting on social media, usual in the heat of the moment is just the same as somebody posting witty comments on the wall in the bogs at the Dog and Duck, well i've news for you, it ain't.

*Other pub toilet walls are available.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You are joking yeah? The home support is as poor as the away support is great, it's laughably bad at times and usually when the team needs their support the most, no more needs saying.

And do you seriously believe that United(and every other football club for that matter) don't have a dedicated team that keep their eye on social media to gauge the mood of the fans, and the club(s)use the info gathered to make important decisions based on it(how else can you explain Jose fecking Mourinho becoming the Manager), so yes it does have an impact - I'm sure some fans think posting on social media, usual in the heat of the moment is just the same as somebody posting witty comments on the wall in the bogs at the Dog and Duck, well i've news for you, it ain't.

It’s an incredibly succinct point about José. Clearly he never should have become United manager. Yet people on these very forums had begged for years to get him in. He was an overwhelming figure for many ; who can blame the club for hiring him.

Danny Roberts

I think this issue is common in football when teams have success and in life. People take things for granted. No team can be successful all the time, forever. Look at Liverpool's fans, look at Real Madrid, look at Arsenal. We have to accept that now is City's time and we have to rebuild. At least City are stopping Liverpool winning the league!

Rusholme Ruffian

It’s an incredibly succinct point about José. Clearly he never should have become United manager. Yet people on these very forums had begged for years to get him in. He was an overwhelming figure for many ; who can blame the club for hiring him.
Jesus wept, this thread just gets more laughable every day! Mourinho's appointment was all down to fans on the Internet was it?! Nothing to do with him being the most successful and best qualified manager available at the time?!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The clients are the biggest problem of a company.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Football fans on the Internet are not necessarily representative of all football fans.

Crustanoid

Hang on, so you think that there is something intrinsically different about our fans that makes them react in a way that is different to how any other group of fans would act if they were in a similar scenario? Don't be ridiculous - people are just people, whatever team they support. It's the circumstances that dictate how they react.

Also, this a discussion forum, of course there are going to be people having a moan - this is exactly where they should be doing it. What about our matchgoing fans (of which I am one - not that it matters a jot) who are as loyal as can be when in the ground?

As a club we are being left behind by our closest rivals, and certain things about the club are a shambles. Should everyone just swallow that down for fear of being seen as disloyal on a bloody discussion forum?!

We finished 30 points off the leaders last season - you think that a right-back and an unproven youngster from the Championship represents a 'decent summer so far'? Especially given that our 2 genuinely world class players both want out. It's clearly too soon to write the summer off, but I think you are viewing this through a ridiculously over-optimistic prism. And as for the last sentence - did you miss the last quarter of the season? Worst form for 60 odd years?

The thing that frustrates people is that we could be the best again. We make shitloads of money. With a proper footballing structure put in place, a top class manager, and owners that were committed to making us the best in Europe there's no reason why we couldn't be. To want that is not being spoiled. If we aim for that and fall short then that's fine. It's the not even aiming for it that understandably disappoints people.
Spot on

This thread was clearly created to make the OP seem a more superior fan but has clearly backfired.

Kostov

Great post.

redIndianDevil

Home support may not be be as boisterous as the away ones, but it's not a recent thing either, didn't Keane once accuse the home supporters of being poor(he said something about prawn cocktail or sandwich I'm not sure) and that was when we were pretty dominant. I don't hear continuous booing, or the negative gloomy atmosphere like at the end of Wenger's reign at Arsenal.

Oh and as for Mourinho being appointed because of Twitter trolls, it's utter bullshit. The club chose Mourinho because he was the most experienced and high profile manager available at the time. I'm no Mourinho fan but his appointment was not because fans wanted him, that is solely on the club's hierarchy who did exactly the same thing they did the previous time, that is appoint an experienced, trophy-winning manager. Yes Mourinho got huge support from fans after his appointment and that is again because he was a Manchester United manager not because our fanbase liked him, you can see the same blind optimism again in OGS now even though it is clear that he is not up to it.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Jesus wept, this thread just gets more laughable every day! Mourinho's appointment was all down to fans on the Internet was it?! Nothing to do with him being the most successful and best qualified manager available at the time?!
Ah but that's not what I said and if you'd read my post properly you'd have known that, but anyhow, scenario, the United board is 50/50 split(for ease of comprehension) on whether or not to approach Jose Mourinho to replace LvG, or being indecisive on transfers in/out, if you don't believe the club would be swayed one way or the other by comments on social media you're taking being naive to a different level.

Home support may not be be as boisterous as the away ones, but it's not a recent thing either, didn't Keane once accuse the home supporters of being poor(he said something about prawn cocktail or sandwich I'm not sure) and that was when we were pretty dominant. I don't hear continuous booing, or the negative gloomy atmosphere like at the end of Wenger's reign at Arsenal.

Oh and as for Mourinho being appointed because of Twitter trolls, it's utter bullshit. The club chose Mourinho because he was the most experienced and high profile manager available at the time. I'm no Mourinho fan but his appointment was not because fans wanted him, that is solely on the club's hierarchy who did exactly the same thing they did the previous time, that is appoint an experienced, trophy-winning manager. Yes Mourinho got huge support from fans after his appointment and that is again because he was a Manchester United manager not because our fanbase liked him, you can see the same blind optimism again in OGS now even though it is clear that he is not up to it.
Roy Keane was calling fans for not understanding football more than any lack of support, and sadly the more successful we became the more we attracted, but that happens at all clubs presumably, and the situation at Arsenal was different, moving to the new stadium and Chelsea and City suddenly having bottomless pits of money meant they couldn't compete and towards the end the fans turned on Wenger despite winning a few FA Cups for not taking on the board to provide money to make them competitive again, mind you they're a bloody funny(not ha ha)lot any way.

As I said to RR above that's not what I actually said, maybe you two should have got together and asked a responsible adult read it to you first before yous bothered replying.

It was obvious, or bloody should have been that despite his CV Mourinho was never the right fit for United, but the spoilt little rich kids on social media(forums more than twitter which encourages folk to be mischievous )won the day. But we can blame Ed Woodward for appointing him because that's what we do.

Anyhow, its time for some of our more impatient fans to take some responsibility, think before you post because you never know who is reading, beware.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
So City's biggest difference is their incredible fans I assume?

You reap what you sow. The main culprits are at the top of the pyramid, not some random yelling in his house.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Blaming fans is when you know you're just making excuses. The fans haven't ruined the club. The parasites and their yes man have.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Supporters and redcafe warriors have caused the poor results that United have suffered. If we clean up our act and post nice things the men in charge will transform into little Fergusons, our players will bleed red like keano yo and go all old school on us.

Crustanoid

Blaming fans is when you know you're just making excuses. The fans haven't ruined the club. The parasites and their yes man have.
And the compliant fans starting threads like this one who enable the behaviour of the owners

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ah but that's not what I said and if you'd read my post properly you'd have known that, but anyhow, scenario, the United board is 50/50 split(for ease of comprehension) on whether or not to approach Jose Mourinho to replace LvG, or being indecisive on transfers in/out, if you don't believe the club would be swayed one way or the other by comments on social media you're taking being naive to a different level.

Roy Keane was calling fans for not understanding football more than any lack of support, and sadly the more successful we became the more we attracted, but that happens at all clubs presumably, and the situation at Arsenal was different, moving to the new stadium and Chelsea and City suddenly having bottomless pits of money meant they couldn't compete and towards the end the fans turned on Wenger despite winning a few FA Cups for not taking on the board to provide money to make them competitive again, mind you they're a bloody funny(not ha ha)lot any way.

As I said to RR above that's not what I actually said, maybe you two should have got together and asked a responsible adult read it to you first before yous bothered replying.

It was obvious, or bloody should have been that despite his CV Mourinho was never the right fit for United, but the spoilt little rich kids on social media(forums more than twitter which encourages folk to be mischievous )won the day. But we can blame Ed Woodward for appointing him because that's what we do.

Anyhow, its time for some of our more impatient fans to take some responsibility, think before you post because you never know who is reading, beware.
A single human being can be 50/50 split about a decision to be taken.

I also believe that unpaid customers of a company or indirect revenue-generating third parties should be blamed for the decisions taken by the well-paid top management and that North Korea is certainly a great place to speak about football and any subject thanks to its quality censorship.

Roy Keane is also right to think anybody who disagrees with him or x know nothing about football. Just common sense really.

On a more serious note
, people strongly overreact on the Internet and social media: impossible to change that. The top management is also paid to bear and manage expectations of the fans base so if a manager is unhappy then he just has to change of job...

In fact I understand your point: fans influence the management but the media too, the competitors also etc Fans can influence the appointment of a coach in the short run but generally not the structure or fundamentals of the club, and this is the structure which makes the difference in the long run.

Last edited:

lewwoo

Wanting our team to be the best rather than the contingent who applaud mediocrity is definetly the biggest problem the club has.

hollywoodpass

I think that we as fans have been brilliant with our support since Fergie left.

However, the fact is that we have been served up total dross in that time. Mangers and players have come and gone but the results have not changed and the team now looks almost worse than ever with poor performers tied to lengthy contracts and our best performers looking for the door.

The club was well poised to continue successfully but we have made bad mistake after bad mistake.

Now you can point the finger at the manager(s) over that time, or the players, or the fans....but we've tried swapping out manager and it hasn't changed a jot. We have changed the players and it hasn't changed a jot. The accountability for this mess lies higher up the chain. It lies with whoever is responsible for the direction and recruitment of the club.

It is the lack of accountability, the lack of clear change towards the right direction and the lack of good football that is rightly causing frustration amongst the fan base. Quite a natural reaction. In fact you could say that the lack of reaction towards the board from us fans may have contributed to allowing this mess to continue.

My gut tells me that more of the same next season and the public displays will come - there has to be a straw that breaks the camels back.

Reactions: Penna

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We will be fine when saf leaves, we're too big to fail. I'm excited on life after fergie.

Moyes was bad. We shouldn't live in the past, we need to spend.

Lvg was a dinosaur, we have spending power but need a better manager.

Mourinho was deemed failure, outdated, toxic, dinosaur, failed to win the league despite spending close to half a billion dollar.

Ole was a yes men, the owner wants him so they can safe money by letting him spend 135m only.

We didnt spend enough.

Glazer out