United's biggest problem - Our spoiled and overly entitled fan base

Rusholme Ruffian

Ah but that's not what I said and if you'd read my post properly you'd have known that

As I said to RR above that's not what I actually said, maybe you two should have got together and asked a responsible adult read it to you first before yous bothered replying.
Sheesh, this is what you wrote:

And do you seriously believe that United(and every other football club for that matter) don't have a dedicated team that keep their eye on social media to gauge the mood of the fans, and the club(s)use the info gathered to make important decisions based on it(how else can you explain Jose fecking Mourinho becoming the Manager), so yes it does have an impact
And then, in the same fecking post where you denied saying it you doubled down on by saying the following:

It was obvious, or bloody should have been that despite his CV Mourinho was never the right fit for United, but the spoilt little rich kids on social media(forums more than twitter which encourages folk to be mischievous )won the day. But we can blame Ed Woodward for appointing him because that's what we do.
If that's not absolving Ed of any blame and putting it all on the 'spoilt little rich kids' (WTF?!) on social media' I don't know what is.

Even if we take your imaginary scenario where the board are totally 50/50 on a decision as gospel - what are you saying, that nobody should ever put forward an opinion just in case the CEO of a multi-billion pound business is undecided and needs to take to social media to get a clue as to which direction to go in?! And then, if said CEO should do that and the decision turn out to be unsuccessful then the fans are at fault? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds? If that's truly your view then I would suggest that hanging out on discussion forums might not be for you cos like it or not you are going to encounter quite a few pesky fan opinions there.

ThinkTank@Cafe

There's nothing worse than watching someone dear to you fall. I share the emotions of the fans who feel like they are falling from the cliff since 2013. We are now in 7th season without Fergie and it feels like there's no end to this falling.

We, United fans, have been used to be the Kings of the fan community. I enjoyed watching United games with my Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal supporting friends :D We were Kings of England and represented English football at the European summit. Only Real and Barcelona could match us in terms of financial power and star players, and football glory. But even they were not as consistent as we were.

It hurts to fall but falling is part of life. Football changed dramatically. Even the most powerful football club is nothing compared to Qatar Investment Authority or Abu Dhabi Soverign Fund. Our financial might is not an advantage anymore.

We lost one of the greatest managerial talents in history of the world business. I am not exaggerating. He's at the same level as, say Akio Morita, founder of Sony. Sony was the biggest brand in 1990s. Sir Alex Ferguson created a monster brand known throughout the world in 1990s. He was not just a coach. And, unlike Morita, he didn't own the club. So, first he managed to concentrate power at the club (it's a huge achievement on its own), and then wisely use that power to build United. Sony's might waned as Internet and mobile revolution changed landscape of the industry.

However, United is in better position than Sony. There's difference between fanbase and customer base. We, fans, remain loyal. And during our lives, United will stay as the biggest club in England because of our love.

Reactions: nimic

El Jefe

Typical OTT bollocks from the OP.

"United currently spend the most on wages in the Premier League. The club has spent 300 million on transfers in the last three summer windows"

This is a terrible thing yet being spun into a positive :houllier:

Robbo*

Do get the impression that some (not all) fans project misery and negativity onto United as they’re so accustomed of doing the same in other facets of their life. Going to the football used to be a way of relieving oneself of these aspects of your life, but these days it’s become a TV drama for a vast majority of people and falls squarely into that category along with other, more stressful parts of peoples’ lives.

Coupled with the fact that we are in the age of entitled internet masterminds, who seem to be so keen to spell out the obvious in terms of United’s problems without any sort of context, narrative or interesting opinion, the result is a very negative environment.

Rista

It was obvious, or bloody should have been that despite his CV Mourinho was never the right fit for United, but the spoilt little rich kids on social media(forums more than twitter which encourages folk to be mischievous )won the day. But we can blame Ed Woodward for appointing him because that's what we do.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The club should have listened to you instead and give Moyes more time, right?

Fans being blamed for the Mourinho appointment. This is the most ridiculous post I've seen on here in a long time.

The funny, or not so funny thing is, pretty much everyone will be happy if Ole achieves as much as Mourinho did. Including those who think he is the right man for the job.

sugar_kane

Our internet fanbase are genuinely the worst in the world. Thick, entitled brats.

The match going fans on the other hand are much more sensible. Yes some of them are idiots but on the whole if you chat to real reds in Manchester you get much more balanced views.

R'hllor

There is no denial about special bunch but still cant believe what i am reading in here. Think its time to put this thread on ignore. Some of you need help.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

"United currently spend the most on wages in the Premier League. The club has spent 300 million on transfers in the last three summer windows"

How is having money to compete with the very best a negative aspect?

steve88

I think alot of it is down to people to moan regardless of how we do rhey wont be satisfied. For example even if we do well in the transfer window people will moan its not enough or not good enough players. Even if sir alex's day buying smart unknown or experienced players on cheap or top big money signings people moaned. Especially in his last few seasons why arntcwe buying the top players they all join chelsea or city or madrid we should get them not the unknowns. Yet we sign the big names then we get why didnt we sign Deli Alli or kane how come our scouts missed this opportunity. So we go back to what we use to do and people mean The club cant win.

El Jefe

Spending the most on wages for a team that finished 5th shows a mismanagement of resources, that's nothing to be praised. Yes we've spent a lot but when you're signing Fred for £52m again I don't see how this makes us spoiled for complaining.

United fans aren't saying Woodward and the Glazers are Mike Ashley MK II. The problem is we're being run badly on the football side and I don't even see how that's up for debate. We have every right to question every decision our board and management make due to their track record.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Our internet fanbase are genuinely the worst in the world. Thick, entitled brats.

The match going fans on the other hand are much more sensible. Yes some of them are idiots but on the whole if you chat to real reds in Manchester you get much more balanced views.
You’ve never been on blue moon then!

hobbers

Because it shows that we're paying title winner wages to a squad who collectively are not even top four quality. Which is just indicative of shit output from everyone from the board room to management to negotiators to scouts and to coaches.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Because it shows that we're paying title winner wages to a squad who collectively are not even top four quality. Which is just indicative of shit output from everyone from the board room to management to negotiators to scouts and to coaches.
Or... just Mourinho.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

The only problem is the shit management. Simple as that.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Some figures are certainly wrong - so no need to have recourse to our redcafe accountants - but the biggest problem is probably here.

Red For Ever

Some figures are certainly wrong - so no need to have recourse to our redcafe accountants - but the biggest problem is probably here.

I imagine there is a little manipulation ( like including Sanchez in the 1st team)
that says a lot about our recruitment, senior management, and the players

Drainy

Our biggest problem is credibility in being able to compete for trophies.

There are a number of reasons for this both internally and externally.

One being City. I can see them winning the league indefinitely given the amount of investment that goes into the club- unless they are harshly punished for their obvious financial doping and attempts to get around the rules, the only thing that can stop them is complacency.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Our biggest problem is credibility in being able to compete for trophies.

There are a number of reasons for this both internally and externally.

One being City. I can see them winning the league indefinitely given the amount of investment that goes into the club- unless they are harshly punished for their obvious financial doping and attempts to get around the rules, the only thing that can stop them is complacency.
Just cannot see how that will change under the present regime. I think Ole wants more for the club, but I think the people running the club are happy if we do just enough.

Drainy

Just cannot see how that will change under the present regime. I think Ole wants more for the club, but I think the people running the club are happy if we do just enough.
I agree. The Glazers are fine with top 4, commercial success and occasional cups. We have given up pretensions of being a league winning club because we refuse to invest to the degree that is needed at all levels of the club.

Instead of going into improving infrastructure, modernising the club or replenishing the squad our profits seems to be going on interest payments and dividends to the owners.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I agree. The Glazers are fine with top 4, commercial success and occasional cups. We have given up pretensions of being a league winning club because we refuse to invest to the degree that is needed at all levels of the club.

Instead of going into improving infrastructure, modernising the club or replenishing the squad our profits seems to be going on interest payments and dividends to the owners.
It isn't even the investment into the team, it's that it is bad investment, because they will not employ somebody who knows what they are doing. That they let Gill go, not that I am saying he was great, but Woodward let Moyes dither along and that has been a dripping tap ever since. The more other clubs modernise or rebuild their stadiums ours is looking like a quaint old fleapit that everyone has fond memories of.

Hughie77

I've said it before, most fans in there 30s or 20s have only seen success through the great man SAF, not see the struggles before he came.

Liverpool had dominance, best players best managers, but not the best set up. SAF came in changed it all, the set up the players the UTD, we all now belong to, Liverpool went backwards , now Utd have gone backwards but not as far as Liverpool went.

Bad management poor player recruitment , that's why there's negativity with fans. Patience is needed, a rebuild is on the cards, going to take time. We went from relegation in 75, to season 76 then back up lost cup final won it 77, pushed in league same year.

Tommy Doc, not many liked, but he went back to playing with pace wide wingers, bought the right people to get us out of the mire
Players like Coppell, Pearson, it got the wheels rolling again. Then SAF comes in 10years later rest is History.

This is what is probably going to have to happen again.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:Fans being blamed for the Mourinho appointment. This is the most ridiculous post I've seen on here in a long time.
It really is :lol:

This echo-chamber of top reds is something else, isn't it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Our biggest problem are not fans. Why is spoiled when fans of the biggest English club want that their club be title chalenger? Moaning about lack of titles would be spoiled but wanting to be equal with City and bloody Liverpool is not. This year we saw how our board don't have any desire to fight with City and Liverpool. They refused to buy players when we finished second with some ridiculous explanation( "we will buy you Varane or Bale but not Toby or Perisic"), now we are buying players from Championship and bottom table clubs, we hired Molde manager and we are selling our best and only world class player.

We can talk all day how we are building new squad with potential and so on but big clubs like United don't have time to sacrifice 2 or 3 seasons. And that is exactly what we are doing right now. We finished 6th. It was obvious that we need 4 or 5 quality signings to close the gap between us and clubs above us. Instead of that, we will enter in next season even weaker. I am not against buying players with potential but some positions we must fill with quality. That doesn't mean that we need 3 or 4 galacticos. It means that we need players who will go straight in first 11. Right winger, defender, midfielder, striker and right back were must signings for us. What we did( so far)? We bought one player who will go in first 11. We lost starting midfielder, we will lose our best player and we bought backup winger.

tony54

There are so many moaning supporters because of the absolute shite week in and week out from man utd. If you don't get this then you can't enjoy watching football.
If you enjoy this crap, lazy, Im not playing as a team member crap, then carry on being considerate and positive and see where this gets you in life.

padzilla

Hipster
I would take winning no trophies and finishing outside the top four provided the players were giving their all and there were suggestions that we had a progressive plan and were playing the right kind of football most weeks. Instead we get players barely breaking into a run at times, looking like they are not bothered and a manager who appears to be so grateful to be there that he won't stand up to under performing players.

Web of Bissaka

I would take winning no trophies and finishing outside the top four provided the players were giving their all and there were suggestions that we had a progressive plan and were playing the right kind of football most weeks. Instead we get players barely breaking into a run at times, looking like they are not bothered and a manager who appears to be so grateful to be there that he won't stand up to under performing players.
This, saved me from typing.

TRUERED89

This is probably my main concern about Ole, he might just be too grateful/happy to be Man United manager, and wont stand up to players and give them the cliched 'hair dryer'. Also not push back at the board when they're not giving him the signings he wants or making decisions he doesn't agree with. Possibly too much of a 'Happy Chappy' I'd like to see a bit more poker-face/steeliness from him and less unnecessary smiling..

Shark

@NotShark

Yes people say stupid shit online without thinking, regardless of the topic, not just when it comes to football clubs but what do you mean by sensible? I mean is saying that we’re going to win the title next season any more sensible, just because it’s positive? There’s a lot of negativity on here right now but from what I can see, most of it’s warranted, the club is simply is a terrible state and there’s no running away from that. Was reading Herrera’s comments earlier on how we were late to the table with an offer to extend his contract and I wasn’t even surprised, from top to bottom we’re inept.

MUFC OK

Most fans I speak to, online and in person are incredibly negative. The majority of match going reds are the same so I don't agree that it's a purely online problem. Games at OT were like life and death 10 years ago, right now I just see fans going through the motions and you wouldn't necessarily know the result by seeing fans faces leaving the stadium after the game; laughing and joking when we've lost games and looking down despite having witnessed a victory.

the difference I see between online and in person is that match-going fans are resigned to it whilst our online contingent still think we are going to turn it around every year, and are shocked when we don't do the business we need to for example.

Last edited:

Rusholme Ruffian

Most fans I speak to, online and in person are incredibly negative. The majority of match going reds are the same so I don't agree that it's a purely online problem. Games at OT were like life and death 10 years ago, right now I just see fans going through the motions and you wouldn't necessarily know the result by seeing fans faces leaving the stadium after the game; laughing and joking when we've lost games and looking down despite having witnessed a victory.

the difference I see between online and in person is that match-going fans are resigned to it whilst our online contingent still think we are going to turn it around every year, and are shocked when we don't need to do the business we need to for example.
Good post - that's what I see as well.

And the reason I think most match-going fans are resigned to it is because they are going to go regardless. That's also why it's incredibly hard to get match-going reds to carry out any kind of boycott. They love going, won't contemplate not going, and don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. Even when it's feeding them scraps and giving them a whack with the dog lead every now and then.

It doesn't mean that they are right and non-match going reds are wrong though - it just means that they have a different set of drivers. Also there's a huge amount of 'not wanting to seem disloyal' going on. It's become a badge of honour to show support for the manager and players, even when they're performing way below what's expected of them. In one sense that's a good thing, but it doesn't mean that they're not going home and cursing the manager to friends and family - and so in many ways the fans behaviour/performance at the match is not really a true barometer of feelings.

In a way matchgoers - I'm talking the dyed in the wool, had their seat for years guys - are almost too close to the situation to see it for what it is.

Caveat: I'm speaking in very sweeping broad terms here - there are definitely plenty of matchgoing reds who hate the Glazers and understand the problems the club has without resorting to top redism.

**Disclosure - I write this as a lapsed season ticket holder who now attends approx 10 games per season at OT...probably significantly fewer than that this year.

sugar_kane

Yes people say stupid shit online without thinking, regardless of the topic, not just when it comes to football clubs but what do you mean by sensible? I mean is saying that we’re going to win the title next season any more sensible, just because it’s positive? There’s a lot of negativity on here right now but from what I can see, most of it’s warranted, the club is simply is a terrible state and there’s no running away from that. Was reading Herrera’s comments earlier on how we were late to the table with an offer to extend his contract and I wasn’t even surprised, from top to bottom we’re inept.
In fairness I said sensible not positive

No one I know is saying we’ll win the league - far from it in fact.

What I mean is that they’re willing to give Ole a chance, are happy we are focussing on youth and are glad to see us rid of divas like Pogba.

MUFC OK

Good post - that's what I see as well.
Thanks, glad it's not just me who has noticed the trend.

I also completely agree about the top-redism. The ultimate sign is 'I don't care if we compete or not' as long as its entertaining, which I get for fans that are going week in week out, and it looks impossible that we will challenge this time.

Top red views/signs:
Pogba is garbage and has been since he arrived - should carry the team etc
Martial - lazy, no good
Bring Roy Keane back in some capacity
Play the youth no matter the circumstances or if they're any good
Mention about the 70's and how it was somehow enjoyable
Winning things doesn't matter