United's biggest problem - Our spoiled and overly entitled fan base

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
To be fair, a lot of internet fans come across as illiterate nutcases, irrespective of who they support. Match going fans have been incredibly sedate on the whole.

predator

Youth NITK
This thread is interesting because it incites each end of the spectrum.

I personally think I am a relatively spoilt united fan. I was born in 1994 to a united family, no one in my family supports City and I only really remember 02 onwards and for the majority of that time we were completely dominant, domestically. Winning league games was abit of a given but europe was always the disappointment for me because we many a time got outclassed.

Fast forward a decade I started to fully appreciate just how significant SAF was for the club. When he retired, I always expected that we would gradually decline, because the warning signs were there towards the end of his tenure and nothing lasts forever.

I, like so many others, were correct. We have definitely declined since the day SAF left.

However...
I did not expect us to become so negligent with regards to how we spend our money. SAF was very prudent when it came to money, he'd harp on about value in the market, resale value and acted like he would be out of pocket after a bad signing. He was basically an owners wet dream. Managers nowadays are employed to manage/ coach the squad and are not expected to be financially conscious. It's not in their job description.
Would've SAF had resigned Pogba, signed the likes of Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Zlatan and tolerate the club paying someone 600k a week? I highly doubt it.

In short, we went from winning the league by 11 points 6 years ago to now having spent shitloads; We've broke the world transfer record, we've accumulated the highest wage bill, we've employed 4 managers and we now find ourselves aiming for a top 4 finish.
Something has gone terribly wrong

More disappointed than spoilt, with all things considered.

fergiesarmy1

To be fair, a lot of internet fans come across as illiterate nutcases, irrespective of who they support. Match going fans have been incredibly sedate on the whole.
Either end of the scales are crazy to me, it is time for the middle ground to agree going into the season with three strikers who between them have scored at a fairly low per game record and expect anything good of this season is bonkers.

You need a 20-30 or more goal scorer these days to win things usually I doubt any of these will get over 15, bookies are offering on our most likely chance 9/1 Rashford to score over 19 this season and they don’t give money away

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Thing is, there's a chance one of our strikers could get 16-20 league goals. My money is on Rashford to do that. If Martial can get 12-15 too we'd be challenging for top 4 given the defence has to be better with the two new signings

Foxbatt

Thing is, there's a chance one of our strikers could get 16-20 league goals. My money is on Rashford to do that. If Martial can get 12-15 too we'd be challenging for top 4 given the defence has to be better with the two new signings
The problem is that everyone else has improved their squad while we did not apart from the defence. Our midfield has gone a lot worse.

fergiesarmy1

Exciting times await

I’m not being that sarcastic but just re-read what you have put there. If that is Martials capability he should not be at this club (which I believe is true anyway)

This is Manchester United and by those ratios we are likely to score 60-70 goals this season when the (top) clubs of Europe are hitting close to a hundred in the league.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The problem is that everyone else has improved their squad while we did not apart from the defence. Our midfield has gone a lot worse.
Improved their squad?

How have Chelsea, Liverpool or even City improved their squad?

I think even arsenal are weaker tbf.

finneh

I don't think anyone thinks its going to be our year.
But yes I agree Liverpool were patient with Klopp and he had one long extended honeymoon with the press. I believe Ole wont get this honeymoon but I do believe him to be the better guy and to get us into the top 4. That will do me. Then, as you say, getting one or two key players should bring us into a position where we can challenge.
No-one thinks it'll be our year this year... But many did erroneously after Di Maria and Falcao.

Step one is fourth in a sustainable and progressive manner, something we haven't achieved since Fergie retired.

I think the Ole/Klopp comparison is a stretch, but other than that I agree. Our fans are way too obsessed with signings.
A comparison of strategy isn't a comparison of ability. Ole could be a complete pretender of course. However the point remains that generally cohesive squads beat disunited names far more often than not.

fergiesarmy1

Improved their squad?

How have Chelsea, Liverpool or even City improved their squad?

I think even arsenal are weaker tbf.
City have spent about £160,000,000 under the radar on Rodri, cancelo, Angelico, and Porro without selling anyone because they don’t need to

We have spent about £140,000,000 while selling our most expensive striker for £73,000,000 so yeah they have improved while we have weakened our midfield and attack. Plus they were a shit ton better than us already

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some posters take a very polarised view on the current situation within the club. We've made three incoming transfers, two immediate improvements, and one with potential, got a decent fee for a player who was surplus to requirements, with the possibility of a couple more outgoings over the next three to four weeks. Have a new system of playing, which can be adapted to 4-3-3, or 4-4-2. Have seemingly got ALL the players on board with this new system, and, most importantly, the players seem to enjoy this new style. Even so called lesser players, Lingard, Mata for example, can fit into the system when given specific jobs to do, and I strongly believe that we have some excellent prospects coming through the academy system, Tuanzebe, Gomes and Greenwood are the obvious, and I would expect all three to get significant games this season, in both premiership, and Europa League, Garner, Chong and Laird also could pick up a few games this season. I have a gut feeling that I will enjoy the football that United will play this season, and if the strikers can finish some of the chances we will create this season, then we may enjoy it more than we have for a few seasons.

Red00012

This transfer window pretty much sums up this thread

'ohh but we should have bought 4 or 5 first teamers'

Is it me or has no team ever done this ever?
Villa signed 12 players this summer.:lol::lol:

fergiesarmy1

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some posters take a very polarised view on the current situation within the club. We've made three incoming transfers, two immediate improvements, and one with potential, got a decent fee for a player who was surplus to requirements, with the possibility of a couple more outgoings over the next three to four weeks. Have a new system of playing, which can be adapted to 4-3-3, or 4-4-2. Have seemingly got ALL the players on board with this new system, and, most importantly, the players seem to enjoy this new style. Even so called lesser players, Lingard, Mata for example, can fit into the system when given specific jobs to do, and I strongly believe that we have some excellent prospects coming through the academy system, Tuanzebe, Gomes and Greenwood are the obvious, and I would expect all three to get significant games this season, in both premiership, and Europa League, Garner, Chong and Laird also could pick up a few games this season. I have a gut feeling that I will enjoy the football that United will play this season, and if the strikers can finish some of the chances we will create this season, then we may enjoy it more than we have for a few seasons.
Paragraphs are your friend pal

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
City have spent about £160,000,000 under the radar on Rodri, cancelo, Angelico, and Porro without selling anyone because they don’t need to

We have spent about £140,000,000 while selling our most expensive striker for £73,000,000 so yeah they have improved while we have weakened our midfield and attack. Plus they were a shit ton better than us already
City have replaced Kompany and Sane with Rodri, Cancelo and Angelico.

Whilst players like Silva, Fernandinho, Otemendi are all another year past 30.

fergiesarmy1

City have replaced Kompany and Sane with Rodri, Cancelo and Angelico.

Whilst players like Silva, Fernandinho, Otemendi are all another year past 30.
Replaced Sane who is still there, wish every other club could replace injured players so easily without caring about ffp

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This thread is interesting because it incites each end of the spectrum.

I personally think I am a relatively spoilt united fan. I was born in 1994 to a united family, no one in my family supports City and I only really remember 02 onwards and for the majority of that time we were completely dominant, domestically. Winning league games was abit of a given but europe was always the disappointment for me because we many a time got outclassed.

Fast forward a decade I started to fully appreciate just how significant SAF was for the club. When he retired, I always expected that we would gradually decline, because the warning signs were there towards the end of his tenure and nothing lasts forever.

I, like so many others, were correct. We have definitely declined since the day SAF left.

However...
I did not expect us to become so negligent with regards to how we spend our money. SAF was very prudent when it came to money, he'd harp on about value in the market, resale value and acted like he would be out of pocket after a bad signing. He was basically an owners wet dream. Managers nowadays are employed to manage/ coach the squad and are not expected to be financially conscious. It's not in their job description.
Would've SAF had resigned Pogba, signed the likes of Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Zlatan and tolerate the club paying someone 600k a week? I highly doubt it.

In short, we went from winning the league by 11 points 6 years ago to now having spent shitloads; We've broke the world transfer record, we've accumulated the highest wage bill, we've employed 4 managers and we now find ourselves aiming for a top 4 finish.
Something has gone terribly wrong

More disappointed than spoilt, with all things considered.
But now that Ole is at the wheel he has a vision for the club of buying and developing young, hungry players. His vision seems closer to SAF (and United) than any of the 3 previous managers, and I for one, am right on board with him. I find it amazing how people complain about the money we have thrown around but then when we are looking at promoting from within and only buying a couple of players to fill some very large holes, people are again moaning. Someone even had a moan because Villa spent more than us. Seriously? It's not about how much money we spend, it's how we spend it. I would have liked to see us buy a midfielder, but it didn't happen and I get over it. Fred will have another year under his belt and could come good. And then we have Pogba (love him or hate him, he's here for now) and then we have McTominay who is ready to be a first team regular. Times are good. I haven't been this excited about a season in ages...

diarm

This transfer window pretty much sums up this thread :lol:

'ohh but we should have bought 4 or 5 first teamers'

Is it me or has no team ever done this ever?
I feel like I've repeated this almost daily over the past few weeks but 2 summers ago, City bought a keeper, two right backs, a left back, a centre back, a central midfielder and a right winger, all for their first team, all in the same summer.

They went on to win immediate back to back titles.

Foxbatt

SAF promoted young players into a team that was already winning. Now we are asking for kids to carry everything on their shoulders. For that matter there is no one outstanding in midfield that is coming through and McTominay is just an average player. If we are to win trophies we need to replace the players we have sold, especially in midfield where generally football matches are won or lost.
It is not as if we have no money. This is what frustrates most fans. We all know that we need better players and we all know that we have the money to spend on players and Woodward fecks up everything. Why on Earth did we not pay Leicester the same amount of money we paid to Maguire last week when they quoted the same amount in June? We dithered all this time and eventually pay the same amount. At least if we had bought him early then he would have a good pre season playing with United and getting to know the team.
Then everyone knew we have no depth or quality in midfield apart from Pogba. If anyone thinks we are better off in midfield than we were last season is off his rocker.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Disgusting fanbase on Twitter (other teams' supporters are the same as well).
Smalling posts a good tweet congratulating James on his goal.

The replies are: "now that Maguire is here, please never play again."

"You've gone from starting CB to social media influencer."

"You're shite, hope you are sold."

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Wish they’d all feck off and support another club.

Needham

Ole is harsh on social media.

Online people are wankers, I'd disable comments if I was a celeb, especially a sportsman.

izzydiggler

Well that's just Twitter/Social Media in general. Pick pretty much anybody and you'll see vile abuse in their replies. Nothing to do with football.

MisterLupus

A bunch of nobodies who'll never accomplish anything even remotely extraordinary in life calling someone who's been playing at the top tier for years - of the most versatile and competitive sport mankind's produced even - "shite". Degrading the very people who's performances their favorite team relies on and also creating a negative atmosphere surrounding the institution itself - and still thinking themselves awesome supporters...

Precious! It amazes me what mankind's achieved despite having to carry all these monkeys on our back :lol:

Last edited:

Giggsyking

The fans missed the last two penalties. Oh, and the fans today made wrong changes. We should sack the fans.