United's form since going Top of the Table in January

Greck

Ole's coaching team is very inexperienced and most come from within the same circle (ie either United or Molde or both). That, United's lack of plan B and our reluctance in using subs doesn't suggest a wealth of new ideas coming through.

Our defence is indeed weak. It lacks leadership, our CBs are painfully slow and its prone to individual errors. Ole spent over 145m in that defence and yet we've conceded more goals then Leicester, West Ham and Arsenal. That despite playing with two enforcers in CM.

Ole need to get credit about his superb man management skills. For the first time since Sir Alex the manager was able to make painful changes (whether they are right or not doesn't matter) without losing the dressing room. However there are certain aspects of his game that are simply not good enough. His tactics and coaching are basic, he relies too much on individual talent to basically bail him out, he seem lacking a Plan B and many players had dipped in form after previously doing so well (Greenwood, Martial, James etc). I also don't buy this squad building BS tbh either. We've got a forward line problem because the coaching staff had failed to identify Lukaku's physical problem and came out with tactics that suits the player like Conte did. We also threw 80m on a CB that needs an 80m CB partner to do well.
I think it's even debatable to say he's the best manager we've had. He has to win trophies to supplant Jose for example. The feel good vibe of optimism he has over those two isn't an objective metric

Water Melon

I think it's even debatable to say he's the best manager we've had. He has to win trophies to supplant Jose for example. The feel good vibe of optimism he has over those two isn't an objective metric
Agreed. What do people even mean by the feel good vibes. It looks it is not all sunshine and rainbows behind the scenes. Maguire is a captain who does not stick in for his own teammate in front of a referee, Rashford is a player who tells his captain to feck off, Bruno is reluctant to sign a contract on better terms, while Pogba looks set to leave saying that he wants the team to win trophies.

Greck

Agreed. What do people even mean by the feel good vibes. It looks it is not all sunshine and rainbows behind the scenes. Maguire is a captain who does not stick in for his own teammate in front of a referee, Rashford is a player who tells his captain to feck off, Bruno is reluctant to sign a contract on better terms, while Pogba looks set to leave saying that he wants the team to win trophies.
Wait Bruno is already hesitant to commit?

edit yeah just looked it up, only reports though, and people still think this is going to be a very long term thing. Players don't have that kind of patience for a failing club. One more year of the same and he'll be putting in a transfer request and we'll be back to square one of the so called rebuild

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Mou left a toxic environment and a team with players on huge salaries and little talent to justify that. We are better off now then we were back then.

Greck

Mou left a toxic environment and a team with players on huge salaries and little talent to justify that. We are better off now then we were back then.
We are better than we were in Jose's final year but that still doesn't mean he hasn't been our best manager since Fergie. He won the Europa, League Cup, LVG won the FA cup, even Moyes won the Mickey mouse community shield. Ole is quite literally the only manager since Fergie retired who hasn't won a single silverware. Not only isn't Jose our best instead of Ole, there's even a case to be made that Ole isn't even 2nd best based on the trophy returns. The top 4 "keep your job" trophy is a personal achievement not silverware

devilish

We are better than we were in Jose's final year but that still doesn't mean he hasn't been our best manager since Fergie. He won the Europa, League Cup, LVG won the FA cup, even Moyes won the Mickey mouse community shield. Ole is quite literally the only manager since Fergie retired who hasn't won a single silverware. Not only isn't Jose our best instead of Ole, there's even a case to be made that Ole isn't even 2nd best based on the trophy returns. The top 4 "keep your job" trophy is a personal achievement not silverware
If trophies is all you focus on then sure Mou did better then Ole. However the price we paid for that is beyond the ridiculous. We ended up with a squad with a fragmented dressing room and a huge salary bill with little talent to justify that.

Greck

If trophies is all you focus on then sure Mou did better then Ole. However the price we paid for that is beyond the ridiculous. We ended up with a squad with a fragmented dressing room and a huge salary bill with little talent to justify that.
Our huge salary bill isn't down to the manager. He didn't help but the inflated salaries and unnecessary contract renewals seemed to continue even after he left. The morale problem in his final year was a heavy price but I would never trade those trophies just so a bunch of underperforming players can feel happy during consecutive trophyless seasons. What's even the point of good morale if it doesn't lead to winning? Ole still has to win at some point

el3mel

Who is the best manager post SAF doesn't matter in my opinion. The bar is ridiculously low for this comparison. We are talking about merely getting top 4 and winning some cup competitions

The best manager post SAF will be the one who win us the league for the first after his retirement.

Greck

Who is the best manager post SAF doesn't matter in my opinion. The bar is ridiculously low for this comparison. We are talking about merely getting top 4 and winning some cup competitions

The best manager post SAF will be the one who win us the league for the first after his retirement.
Yeah honestly at this point we're just arguing whose mediocrity was better. They are both not good enough

devilish

Our huge salary bill isn't down to the manager. He didn't help but the inflated salaries and unnecessary contract renewals seemed to continue even after he left. The morale problem in his final year was a heavy price but I would never trade those trophies just so a bunch of underperforming players can feel happy during consecutive trophyless seasons. What's even the point of good morale if it doesn't lead to winning? Ole still has to win at some point
The club should get their share of blame but those players were wanted by the manager as well. Ultimately most of Mourinho's signings were a failure. Thank god we stopped him from adding the likes of Perisic to the mix as well. All he's got to show for it was the league cup and the European club version of it. That's not good enough.

I criticise Ole on many issues. I can't see myself changing my view by him winning the frigging Europa league.

devilish

I stated there in previous psts.

James35

Exactly this, plus we also lost an FA Cup final with Jose, so he definitely knew how to manage a team past a semi final at least and got us second on 81 points, a point tally I guarantee we won't reach this season.
Also hasn't it been under Oles tenure that Jones, Pereira, Matic and Mata had new lucrative contracts and signed a world record fee defender who is about as bog standard as they get?
Jose gave fan favourite McTominay his big break and wanted to sell the likes of Martial and De Gea at one point, both who are now clearly dividing our fan base. Fred and Lindelof are Ole favourites plus Pogba walks into our first team, so Jose signings were not really worse than Oles (Lee Grant says hi)

Jose is a dick but clearly our best manager since SAF. No doubt.

Ole has brought a lot of positives and in fairness allowed some dead wood to leave but he needs to win something soon to be classed as anything more than average and as has been said about a thousand times on here, if he wasn't a club legend most would not want him here at all.

peridigm

Looking over all results this season. Failed to score in 9 matches. Most recent 3 have been 0-0. If we don't score tomorrow it's going to pile the pressure on even more.

7 0-0 draws (1 EL Real Sociedad, 6 PL Palace, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, Chelsea)
2 losses with no goals (1 PL vs Arsenal & 1 in League Cup vs City)

We've contributed to 1/4 of 0-0 draws in the PL this season.

Last edited:

MU655

It's pretty mad how we have just been overtaken by a team ravaged by injuries (Leicester). I mean even Chelsea have had a lot of players in and out of the team: Ziyech, Pulisic, Havertz, Abraham etc. I think Chillwell was injured at the start, as well.

We haven't had an injury crisis this season. Still, we seem to be struggling to hold on to top four despite this. I think we better hope we don't have one. Can only imagine what will happen if Fernandes is injured, considering the level we are currently operating at with him.

Tyrion

we've got VDB who was one considered as one of the most promising CM in the world. For some strange reason Ole doesn't trust him. He prefers running Bruno to the ground instead.
I know. That gets on my nerves. Maguire and Bruno are being run into the ground and when they inevitably start to suffer, people complain that they've "bottled it".

RedIan

A few factors in the poor run of form... , loss of pogba to injury was a huge blow. Rashford Is clearly not fit and carrying a shoulder injury that effecting his performance.. Martial a complete loss of form for many weeks and attributable to having his nose put out by cavani taking his centre forward role..

on the plus side the resurgence of Dan James has been impressive also the defence has tightened up so whilst we havent scored many, we havent conceded many either.

big win against City thats reignited us and i hope we can push on and get some good form back for the run in... not sure where Pogbas injury is at but we could do with him back..

we may as well flog DVB as he cant get a game even with pogba crocked.