United's Greatest Captain?

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Keane for me but a lot of fans go for Cantona and/or Robson (deservedly)

So, who's your best? (let's ignore the football part of it) and why?

*I'm leaving out Sir Charlton/Byrne/Law since haven't seen much of them myself; feel free to include if you have.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Keane for me but a lot of fans go for Cantona and/or Robson (deservedly)

So, who's your best? (let's ignore the football part of it) and why?

*I'm leaving out Sir Charlton/Byrne/Law since haven't seen much of them myself; feel free to include if you have.
I saw both at their peak and I would say Robbo shades Keane just a little bit in that he was a better player and led from the front. Plus he does not see the mist that Keane sees. People talk about the CL and Juve and Keane but Robson against Barca and Maradona in the Cup Winners Cup QF was immense. We had to come back from a 2 - 0 deficit to win 3-0 and Robson scored two.

EnelDoobacabra

I'm going to have to agree with the majority consensus and go with Keane. One of a kind captain in my opinion. An inspirational leader who actually walked his talk.

Also got to shout out to Neville for just absolutely bleeding United more than any other player I can remember. And also to Rooney who I think had potentially one of the most underrated captain stints at the club since it coincided with not only players, but also the club, heavily declining. I still think Wazza was an exemplary leader for the most part whenever he had the band on.

Not to go off topic too much, but who would you like to see assume the vice captains armband for our current squad? Obviously Harry is the skipper, and it seems Mata and De Gea deputise, but I wonder if there is an official VC between them. I would personally love to see the likes of McTominay, Rashford and Shaw be brought through our leadership ranks now that the current stock (bar Maguire) are ageing a bit.

Can7onA

Bryan Robson
Eric Cantona
Roy Keane

In that order, for me.

GailSpaceWynand

I saw both at their peak and I would say Robbo shades Keane just a little bit in that he was a better player and led from the front. Plus he does not see the mist that Keane sees. People talk about the CL and Juve and Keane but Robson against Barca and Maradona in the Cup Winners Cup QF was immense. We had to come back from a 2 - 0 deficit to win 3-0 and Robson scored two.
I'm ignoring the better player debate for now. I think the mist is what makes Keanu the better option don't you think? He could galvanize and make others better. Absolutely tore into others who he believed wasn't giving his all.

I agree Robson was immense that game but maybe more as a player than a captain? I could be biased here.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Bryan Robson and by quite some distance, if you turned up at the match and found out Robbo wasn't playing it was oh ffs we've got our work cut out today, if Keane was missing, granted in a better team/squad, you were always confident Nicky Butt, or occasionally Phil Neville could do the same job with no obvious drop-off.

And Cantona, a different type of Captain who the Class of 92 wanted/needed to impress, more than him being a shouter and bawler.

Tarrou

Bryan Robson and by quite some distance, if you turned up at the match and found out Robbo wasn't playing it was oh ffs we've got our work cut out today, if Keane was missing, granted in a better team/squad, you were always confident Nicky Butt, or occasionally Phil Neville could do the same job with no obvious drop-off.

And Cantona, a different type of Captain who the Class of 92 wanted/needed to impress, more than him being a shouter and bawler.
No obvious drop off with Nicky Butt or Phil Neville?

That is frankly outrageous

lsd

The Oracle
No obvious drop off with Nicky Butt or Phil Neville?

That is frankly outrageous

I know iv read that a few times wondering what the poster was smoking.

Its a bit like saying if you turned up for a game and Dong was replacing Ruud you would be confident there would be no obvious drop off :lol:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Keane without question...

And we've had some great captains, which only goes to prove the point.

At his peak, Utd was a different team when Keane wasn't on the pitch.

stevoc

:lol:

On the wind up again mate?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Cantona was only captain for one season 96/97 yeah? And it wasn’t our greatest year. I can’t remember if Bruce played much in 95/96 or if Cantona was captain when he absent. But still it’s not a record to compare to Keane or Robson.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
if Keane was missing, granted in a better team/squad, you were always confident Nicky Butt, or occasionally Phil Neville could do the same job with no obvious drop-off
Have you managed to blank out the 97/98 season from your mind? Or the massive anxiety whenever Keane was absent from the side from 98 to around 2002?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Keane circa 98-02 is the obvious and right answer but no love for the combined efforts of Neville/Giggs?

Pablo76

Keane will always get the vote from all the Irish posters obviously, and from many of the younger fans maybe. Robson is the correct answer though.

GailSpaceWynand

Cantona was only captain for one season 96/97 yeah? And it wasn’t our greatest year. I can’t remember if Bruce played much in 95/96 or if Cantona was captain when he absent. But still it’s not a record to compare to Keane or Robson.
He was more of an inspirational figure who the younger ones (Nevs, Giggs, Scholes) looked up to even though not a captain per se.

Bruce ought to be a shout too though nowhere compared to Robbo/Keanu.

Last edited:

cyril C

Robson carried the Club forward when we were still in transition, Bruce started it.

GailSpaceWynand

Keane circa 98-02 is the obvious and right answer but no love for the combined efforts of Neville/Giggs?
If we are including Nev/Giggs we should include Wazza/(de-Gea?) but they don't belong in the greatest-ever debate. Not even close. Maybe Bruce/Cantona don't either but they are good shouts.

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah mate it's exactly the same, how many times did Dong Fangzhou play for United in his four seasons at Old Trafford?

If you think Butt or Neville could cover for Keane without a drop off you are either a total wind up or insane .

You could have just said Robson was better and there would have been no arguement but then with that you just showed hatred of Keane for whatever reason

Foxbatt

Robson has carried the team. Keane may shout a lot more but as Captain Robson carried the team a lot more than Keane. A good captain don't only shout. If Robson played badly or was injured United played badly. Keane has had many bad games yet United played well. It doesn't mean Keane was a bad captain. I would like to ask how many of you have seen Robson live and at his peak?

Irwin99

Keane but I have to admit I never saw Robson play so I can't comment there. I've seen Keane's Opta and career stats and by every metric we were a better team with him in it; we won more, conceded less, and scored more with him in the team. It wasn't just him giving orders and getting a few tackles in, he was such a dominant passer of the ball and had some of the highest stats in the league. He really was the heartbeat of the club for a long time.

GailSpaceWynand

Robson has carried the team. Keane may shout a lot more but as Captain Robson carried the team a lot more than Keane. A good captain don't only shout. If Robson played badly or was injured United played badly. Keane has had many bad games yet United played well. It doesn't mean Keane was a bad captain. I would like to ask how many of you have seen Robson live and at his peak?
Saw him post 90' properly so definitely not his prime. Maybe a tad biased, I agree but Keanu was more than just shouting tbf. Hence the thread, for me it was obviously Keane but maybe the older posters can share more having seen both at their respective primes. Also this discussion is regarding the better captain not player (which Keane is underrated at for what it's worth)

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
If you think Butt or Neville could cover for Keane without a drop off you are either a total wind up or insane .

You could have just said Robson was better and there would have been no arguement but then with that you just showed hatred of Keane for whatever reason
The thread is not about players ffs but Captains, how influential they were, so obviously how much they were missed when they were absent, do try and keep up.

Oh feck off with that shit, having seen both players entire careers at United Bryan Robson was a far superior player and Captain to Roy Keane something most who were fortunate enough to see both players entire careers at United would agree with.

Keane was a great player for United and a great Captain, but Robson was different gravy on both counts.

lysglimt

Scout
Robson without a doubt. Loved and respected by everyone. Head and shoulders above everyone else