United Away Record | We've not won anything yet, waaaaaaah

Stig

It has been a glorious season.

Finished second, behind a club that is 5+ years more advanced in their rebuilding than we are , so never likely to finish higher than them.
Finished head of a few team who no doubt thought that they would finish above us.
Didn't lose away in the league.
Played a bunch of youngsters in the last game of the season. Sir Matt would have been proud.
We made a couple of good signings.
We have a manager who seems to act with honest, humility and integrity.

And to cap it all off we have a European cup final to look forward to.

What is there not to like about this season ?

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT

Finished second, behind a club that is 5+ years more advanced in their rebuilding than we are , so never likely to finish higher than them.
Finished head of a few team who no doubt thought that they would finish above us.
Played a bunch of youngsters in the last game of the season. Sir Matt would have been proud.

Er... Lets wait for a trophy. Only way second place is acceptable for man utd is an european trophy. I know.. I know.. No divine rights and such but its Manchester united ffs. And we do have good players now.

el3mel

The CL huge failure maybe?

always_hoping

Our away record was still not good enough to challenge for the title. Whilst we are talking about an unbeaten run, City are setting records for consecutive wins away from home.
Away points this season.

Man City 45 points
Man United 43 points

Away points for two previous PL winners

2019/20 Liverpool 44 points
2018/19 Man City 44 points

Conclusion this season away record was good enough to challenge but United simply didn't because of the home form. Getting just 31 points out of a possible 57 on offer.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Le Arse didn’t have VAR to review their constant everyone is offside thing they had going. So our record is superior:D
That's not an unfair point really. I remember Portsmouth being robbed of ending their run because of a blatant dive by (I think) Pires.

It's a great achievement to go the season without losing away in the league. It's not the best achievement, because the absence of away fans removes one of the challenges of away fixtures. It's also not the highest away points total this season. The 43 away points has been beaten 5 times in the past 4 seasons.

That said, from our perspective it's a hugely positive achievement. Especially when you consider how we did it. Having to come from behind so often does point to a strong mentality in the squad.

Now we need to address the weakness that has led to us going behind so often and our home record.

FattyFooty

The whole point is though that our recent away form isn’t that impressive. Literally 11/20 PL sides have won as many away games as we have this calendar year and we have played the most PL away games of anyone in that period.

Going undefeated with 4 wins and 6 draws is worse than Chelsea’s 6 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss, Everton’s 5 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss or Liverpool’s 5 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses in the same period. None of those sides envy us or would swap their record for ours.

Draws are nearly as damaging as defeats in this era where the champions get 90+ points a season.
Draws can sometimes be a win. It's not like every draw is a bad thing.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
You must be great fun at parties
I am. Seriously I just can't stand BS. You enjoy the "Unbeaten away from home in the league trophy" if you want. To me it's just a stat. I will be suitably impressed if we do it again next year with fans back.

Devil81

Does Wednesday's game count as an away game or a neutral venue game?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I am. Seriously I just can't stand BS. You enjoy the "Unbeaten away from home in the league trophy" if you want. To me it's just a stat. I will be suitably impressed if we do it again next year with fans back.
Did anyone say it was a trophy?

Withnail

Away points this season.

Man City 45 points
Man United 43 points

Away points for two previous PL winners

2019/20 Liverpool 44 points
2018/19 Man City 44 points

Conclusion this season away record was good enough to challenge but United simply didn't because of the home form. Getting just 31 points out of a possible 57 on offer.
I love when people make these absolute proclamations without actually doing their research. :lol:

George the Cat

Enough of the positivity, I’ll start to think there are other actual United fans posting on here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's a really impressive feat. The team and the coaching staff deserve to be proud. Something Ole has managed that Fergie never did!

Paul_Scholes18

Pretty pointless stats. Even relevant stats like point record, highest number of wins etc, most goals in season do not matter compared to winning trophies anyway, but if you do both it shows you are special at least.

Like being unbeaten includes getting draws and for me getting draws in most games is a bad result unless we are ahead and playing our rivals like City/Liverpool but when we are not top of the table getting many draws is a failure.

I get it people looking for every single thing to celebrate, but we have a final to win and that is what matters.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
The record only accounts for league games. We lost away to Roma a couple of weeks ago.
We have also lost way back last Autumn V Leipzig & that Turkish club whose name I can't spell. Buy hey unbeaten away in the league is what counts. Right?
Ps, we also lost to Leicester in the FA Cup. But sure that doesn't count either!

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Did anyone say it was a trophy?
They are behaving as if it were. Because of Covid should be added in the stats.
Heres a fact we were never in contention to win the league despite City & Pool being well below par. When we were close to City our manager admitted as much.
We blew a great start to the Champions league.
City beat us easily in the Carabao.
Leicester (who were eminently beatable) beat us in the FA Cup.
We are finished 2nd OK but we'll off the pace.
Hopefully we can win the Cup for teams not good enough for Champs league. If we don't big deal.
You can stick your unbeaten away in the league record up your jacksey!

Redlyn

We have also lost way back last Autumn V Leipzig & that Turkish club whose name I can't spell. Buy hey unbeaten away in the league is what counts. Right?
Ps, we also lost to Leicester in the FA Cup. But sure that doesn't count either!
Yes, they definitely dont count if the topic is unbeaten away in the league.
Fact is that we have an interesting record in the league, we can be happy about getting that and yet still be very unhappy about all the other things.
I would say it dosent make a dent on how i view the season (Average season with or without the EL trophy). It's just a record to collect for the history books.
Glorious season if you are Arsenal maybe.

Last edited:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
So you're not allowed be happy about progress without being accused of acting like it's a trophy? :lol:
apparently not. We have had years of mediocrity and not allowed to enjoy some good records for a change. Unbeaten away from home for a full season is an excellent record

Was there anyone on here that actually thought we had any hope of challenging for the title this season? I assume there was a thread before the season kicked off where people predicted how we would fare. If someone said we would finish 2nd, ahead of Liverpool and remain unbeaten away from home they would be laughed at

Paul_Scholes18

So you're not allowed be happy about progress without being accused of acting like it's a trophy? :lol:
I think you can be happy about results and wins and also our situation as a club.
Although stats are interesting, but I do not see them as a win.

I do not see our away record as progress as little as I see our home form as a concern. I think it is mostly random variance.

Also if you have faith in us being better away from home beyond this crazy season with no fans you could make some money to bet on us away from home and not on us at home if we keep it up.

Bosws87

Fantastic achievement although i expect our fortunes to be reversed now fan's are back with home form being the better of the two,

The lack of fans makes a huge difference to the outcome of a football match, more then we would of imagined.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Very impressive, although the "unprecedented" nature of the season surely plays a part in this. Nevertheless, great record. Just makes our home form even more annoying, especially when you look at some of the teams we've dropped points against

Josep Dowling

Crazy to think we went unbeaten away from home yet City still generate more away points than us.

Lee565

Records have little meaning to me unless it results noteworthy silverware

Withnail

apparently not. We have had years of mediocrity and not allowed to enjoy some good records for a change. Unbeaten away from home for a full season is an excellent record

Was there anyone on here that actually thought we had any hope of challenging for the title this season? I assume there was a thread before the season kicked off where people predicted how we would fare. If someone said we would finish 2nd, ahead of Liverpool and remain unbeaten away from home they would be laughed at
I thought we'd be comfortably in top 4 but didn't think we'd get top 2 unless City or Liverpool's form collapsed which Liverpool's did. Never in a million years was I expecting a title challenge.

I think you can be happy about results and wins and also our situation as a club.
Although stats are interesting, but I do not see them as a win.

I do not see our away record as progress as little as I see our home form as a concern. I think it is mostly random variance.

Also if you have faith in us being better away from home beyond this crazy season with no fans you could make some money to bet on us away from home and not on us at home if we keep it up.
I'm not saying it's sustainable but it is a good achievement and it's rarely done. I do think that what will stand to the players is the resilience and grit they showed to come back so many times. Yes obviously we need to shore things up so we don't go behind too often but they will have the belief now that they can come back having done it so many times.

Paul_Scholes18

I thought we'd be comfortably in top 4 but didn't think we'd get top 2 unless City or Liverpool's form collapsed which Liverpool's did. Never in a million years was I expecting a title challenge.

I'm not saying it's sustainable but it is a good achievement and it's rarely done. I do think that what will stand to the players is the resilience and grit they showed to come back so many times. Yes obviously we need to shore things up so we don't go behind too often but they will have the belief now that they can come back having done it so many times.
I agree it is hard to do. We have a big win vs City which was great. Also comeback vs Southampton and West Ham in impressive games.

Hopefully we can build on being hard to beat, but improve the way we attack games. Too many 0-0 draws been an annoying part of this season.

acnumber9

Oh I know. Just pointing out the most recent example.

Flying high

Fantastic achievement although i expect our fortunes to be reversed now fan's are back with home form being the better of the two,

The lack of fans makes a huge difference to the outcome of a football match, more then we would of imagined.

I'd be interested to know if this has been replicated across other countries without fans in stadiums.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Seriously did some of your parents not love you enough or something? Why does anything even remotely resembling a positive have to be made into a negative? As a wise man once said I'm tired Wobbie

Judas

Open to offers
Seriously did some of your parents not love you enough or something? Why does anything even remotely resembling a positive have to be made into a negative? As a wise man once said I'm tired Wobbie
It is absolutely exhausting, as a generally negative person, this place makes me feel like a right positive polly. SadCafe.

MU655

It is a good record, but there are still teams that managed more away points, despite actually losing 1 game.

17/18 - City - 47/54 (1 loss)
04/05 - Chelsea - 45/54 (1 loss)

PSV

I'd be interested to know if this has been replicated across other countries without fans in stadiums.
France had the same, rest seem normal.

% wins (soccerstats.com):

England: 38/22/40
France: 37/25/38
Spain: 42/29/30
Germany: 42/26/31
Italy: 41/25/34
--
Championship: 41/25/34
League One: 40/24/36
League Two: 40/27/32