United Away Record | We've not won anything yet, waaaaaaah

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
They are behaving as if it were. Because of Covid should be added in the stats.
Heres a fact we were never in contention to win the league despite City & Pool being well below par. When we were close to City our manager admitted as much.
We blew a great start to the Champions league.
City beat us easily in the Carabao.
Leicester (who were eminently beatable) beat us in the FA Cup.
We are finished 2nd OK but we'll off the pace.
Hopefully we can win the Cup for teams not good enough for Champs league. If we don't big deal.
You can stick your unbeaten away in the league record up your jacksey!
Who’s behaving as if it is?

bsCallout

This. fecking This!
I don't know why you bother supporting a particular club, you might as well just support the team that is winning that year, you'd get to be happy and celebrate every year then. Better yet, just support the club that wins each final. Football doesn't matter other than that.

Red00012

I am. Seriously I just can't stand BS. You enjoy the "Unbeaten away from home in the league trophy" if you want. To me it's just a stat. I will be suitably impressed if we do it again next year with fans back.
I and no one else on here is claiming it to be a trophy. It’s a stat and a damn decent one too.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I'm sorry but I don't. I know you can say we finished 2nd and that's a sign that we are making progress but I disagree strongly.
We lack quality & depth. We are also lacking leadership & organisation.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It’s one of those stats that’s only worth mentioning if you correlate it with the other, equally important, half of the season, which doesn’t seem to be happening.
Title winning away form combined with 6th/7th place finishing home form is just the same as top 4 away form combined with top 4 home form; more likely a statistical anomaly than a sign of anything more fundamental. It’s as likely to be the same next season as it is to be the other way round.

Spaghetti

Mom's
If it’s so easy because of no fans in the stadium, why didn’t the other 19 teams do it?

Of course a trophy would be better, but going unbeaten away is a small achievement that deserves a little recognition.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Its a bit embarrassing to be celebrating away records with no fans in the stadiums, there is no away form without fans, its silly. This is also why we were so poor at home, because we were playing without fans. Its the reason this season had more away wins than home wins for the first time in the history of the premier league, its a Covid season with no fans and stats like that shouldn't be compared to non covid seasons it makes us look small time to brag about it, lets be honest no one will take us seriously. Its a good stat but not comparable to other seasons.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's a nice stat, I dont see anyone celebrating that as if we won a trophy, not sure why few are getting their knickers in twist. It's just a fecking stat, just like how Bruno has scored most goals for a midfielders since XYZ years.

Bondi77

What is the point in celebrating a brilliant goal? After all it is only a goal.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Great stat that. Shows resiliency. I'm not sure why people are scrutinizing that. Must be the internet.
Does losing 6 at home as well as drawing several games we were leading show resiliency? Or carelessness?
Or does it mean anything given that there were no fans present?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I bother because I have supported United through thick & thin for over 50 years. 11 managers!
Is what you're doing at the moment support?

If you have been following United for as long as you say you have you'd also know things have been much worse than they are at the moment so ya know perspective

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Is what you're doing at the moment support?

If you have been following United for as long as you say you have you'd also know things have been much worse than they are at the moment so ya know perspective
They have. We were relegated. We have had all sorts of stuff happen in my time.
We were never deluded though. Supporting a club doesn't mean you toe the line and go along with whatever narrative is popular.
I'll say no more on this topic.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Arsenal's Invicibles looked like they consist of 40 y.o dads playing football. Even the younger players looked like they had at least 2 kids.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We will lose to them. Only reason we’re close to this record is because there’s been no fans.

Matriac

Unless I'm getting my records mixed up.
Nah, you're right. If we win or draw against Southampton we equal the record of Arsenal, if we then also win or draw against Wolves in a week we'll go past them to hold the record alone.

Though I'm sure oppo's will want to put a * on it due to playing with no fans for the majority of it. Which I wouldn't necessarily be against. As long as there's also a * on the scousers league title.

Teja

That's that then. We'll lose to some James Ward Prowse set piece shithousery.

babablue

I might be in a minority here, but I think records are just as prestigious as trophies. Ideally, you want both, but the very definition of a record is "the best performance or most remarkable event of its kind that has been officially measured and noted". I see the words 'best' and 'remarkable', the same words that would be used to describe a champion.

Like trophies, some records are worth more than others, but there can't be any argument about the worth of this one. Every teams primary aim is to win every match (by extension, not losing), so if we do get it, it is very valid to say, no other team has been able to achieve this while giving it their best. It's something to be proud of.

There is also usually a new champion every year. Loads of teams have been champions. However, there is usually only one, or at most a handful of record holders. Case in point is Arsenal who have been mostly irrelevant recently, but their undefeated record is still remembered. An even greater case is Preston North End, I can't remember Sunderland, Everton, etc's trophies mentioned as much as that one season from PNE, despite probably no one here being alive for it.

Finally, and I'm not trying to insult anyone, but this feeling among some fans, that some things are small time and beneath them is cringeworthy. Newsflash, unless you actively contribute to the club as a player, or staff in some capacity, you have nothing to be so smug about. The fans of the "small teams" that you belittle could just as easily choose to support Manchester united or any other big club.

Reactions: Sultan

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I might be in a minority here, but I think records are just as prestigious as trophies. Ideally, you want both, but the very definition of a record is "the best performance or most remarkable event of its kind that has been officially measured and noted". I see the words 'best' and 'remarkable', the same words that would be used to describe a champion.

Like trophies, some records are worth more than others, but there can't be any argument about the worth of this one. Every teams primary aim is to win every match (by extension, not losing), so if we do get it, it is very valid to say, no other team has been able to achieve this while giving it their best. It's something to be proud of.

There is also usually a new champion every year. Loads of teams have been champions. However, there is usually only one, or at most a handful of record holders. Case in point is Arsenal who have been mostly irrelevant recently, but their undefeated record is still remembered. An even greater case is Preston North End, I can't remember Sunderland, Everton, etc's trophies mentioned as much as that one season from PNE, despite probably no one here being alive for it.

Finally, and I'm not trying to insult anyone, but this feeling among some fans, that some things are small time and beneath them is cringeworthy. Newsflash, unless you actively contribute to the club as a player, or staff in some capacity, you have nothing to be so smug about. The fans of the "small teams" that you belittle could just as easily choose to support Manchester united or any other big club.
Good post, very well said.

lysglimt

Scout

This post was too well-written and logical - one could even say good. Can you please find another site to write your posts in ? :) No seriously - well put mate.

wolvored

Nah, you're right. If we win or draw against Southampton we equal the record of Arsenal, if we then also win or draw against Wolves in a week we'll go past them to hold the record alone.

Though I'm sure oppo's will want to put a * on it due to playing with no fans for the majority of it. Which I wouldn't necessarily be against. As long as there's also a * on the scousers league title.
They won it before end of March 20, before the end of the fans attendance. Cities should be a * if you are going down that road.

Becks_VII

Yep.
It's why no clubs lost any away games last year.
This. Really don't get the whole thing of there being no fans as the reason we went unbeaten, of course it will make it easier but still a very difficult thing we achieved last year, that nobody else could match.

Fridge chutney

Great post. Fully agree.

Also, the smaller clubs form a very important part of the football ecosystem. Without them, Manchester United could not survive, or at least could not have become what the club is today. I fundamentally disagree with people who hold more modest clubs in contempt.