United Away Record | We've not won anything yet, waaaaaaah

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
With fewer draws than them as well. Don't think enough attention has been on this. Incredible record and something to build on. Leeds, Villa and Wolves to play for the remaining games.

It's not the same situation without fans. So it's not really comparable dew to Covid-19. Away games don't have any of the characteristics that make them difficult without fans.
It's not as easy to win an away game at Anfield with fans compared to an empty stadium for example.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
In regular seasons the there are upwards to 50% more home wins than away wins. This season has actually seen more away wins than home wins, so the effect of no fans is very clearly seen.
Can you share the source please?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Even if we should get the record there will always be an asterisk to it due to Covid - and rightly so. In regular seasons the there are upwards to 50% more home wins than away wins. This season has actually seen more away wins than home wins, so the effect of no fans is very clearly seen.

That's not to take anything away from the performances. You can only beat what's in front of you and a prolonged unbeaten streak is of course always a good sign.
I would have thought this is pretty obvious. That's the whole point home and away, the fans in the stadium. Boosts the morale of the home team and demoralizes the visiting team. The bigger the stadium the bigger the effect.

always_hoping

With fewer draws than them as well. Don't think enough attention has been on this. Incredible record and something to build on. Leeds, Villa and Wolves to play for the remaining games.

The best results among that list

2-0 v Man City
3-1 v West Ham
3-1 v Tottenham

Because those teams have the 1st, 2nd and 6th best home records this season

Fully Fledged

You should never make these threads until after the fact. :eek: :nervous:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
It's not the same situation without fans. So it's not really comparable dew to Covid-19. Away games don't have any of the characteristics that make them difficult without fans.
It's not as easy to win an away game at Anfield with fans compared to an empty stadium for example.
Let’s take pride on these small achievements, last thing this thread was designed for was pessimism. Strong characteristics were shown with the amount of comebacks we made. Fans or no fans every team is in the same boat and it’s a great record.

Dr. Mowinckel

Can you share the source please?
It was just an estimate. I looked at this site that shows away and home win% and had a quick scan through the last 10 premier league seasons and most seemed to between 40-70%. The highest was 99% more in 10/11; the lowest 35% in 15/16

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We're going to lose to Villa now ffs
If we’re starting to worry about remaining unbeaten, then a loss could do us some good. One win and one loss better than two draws...

Our away record has been OK in 2021, but not anything that will get you near a title: ten matches, four wins, six draws, nine scored and three conceded. 11 sides have won as many away games as we have this year and we have played more matches than all of them.

croadyman

If we’re starting to worry about remaining unbeaten, then a loss could do us some good. One win and one loss better than two draws...

Our away record has been OK in 2021, but not anything that will get you near a title: ten matches, four wins, six draws, nine scored and three conceded. 11 sides have won as many away games as we have this year and we have played more matches than all of them.
Yeah put the handbrake on too many times in the big six games away from home and paid the price in the end

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That win at Burnley was when Rashford tackled the ball into the empty net after losing his balance wasn't it ?
Yeah, that was the game. Martial scored first goal assisted by Pereira.

Water Melon

Spot on mate. This goes to show that any record needs to be considered under its context. I would happily trade all our records post Fergie for one EPL title.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Very impressive record if (big if) we manage to break it, but let’s have it right - going unbeaten while winning a title is better than going unbeaten for no reason.

Still brilliant though. Ole deserves a lot of credit for this mentality shift.

Cantonagotmehere

Proud of the team but I don't think it should be counted vs past away records with no fans in the stands. I love they how they are picking up points away, but it's obviously not as hard this season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Proud of the team but I don't think it should be counted vs past away records with no fans in the stands. I love they how they are picking up points away, but it's obviously not as hard this season.
Don’t write it off like that, nobody else has done it if it’s that easy

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Don’t write it off like that, nobody else has done it if it’s that easy
The whole point is though that our recent away form isn’t that impressive. Literally 11/20 PL sides have won as many away games as we have this calendar year and we have played the most PL away games of anyone in that period.

Going undefeated with 4 wins and 6 draws is worse than Chelsea’s 6 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss, Everton’s 5 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss or Liverpool’s 5 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses in the same period. None of those sides envy us or would swap their record for ours.

Draws are nearly as damaging as defeats in this era where the champions get 90+ points a season.

Chairman Steve

Good achievement but would gladly lose an away league match if it meant guaranteeing 2nd in the league or lifting the Europa League trophy.

golden_blunder

Staff
The whole point is though that our recent away form isn’t that impressive. Literally 11/20 PL sides have won as many away games as we have this calendar year and we have played the most PL away games of anyone in that period.

Going undefeated with 4 wins and 6 draws is worse than Chelsea’s 6 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss, Everton’s 5 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss or Liverpool’s 5 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses in the same period. None of those sides envy us or would swap their record for ours.

Draws are nearly as damaging as defeats in this era where the champions get 90+ points a season.
Dunno how you work that one out. Last time I checked you get 0 points for a loss and 1 for a draw. A point is better than none.
Unless your point is a win is better but... well yeah! Off course it is but city are doing an unbelievable job. That level of consistency we have to reach

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah unfortunately even having gone the entire season unbeaten away from home we're still 2 points behind City in the away table having played a game more

cnuts

norm87cro

Yeah well the Arsenal team of 2004 were champs and it really isnt the same record without the fans

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Dunno how you work that one out. Last time I checked you get 0 points for a loss and 1 for a draw. A point is better than none.
Unless your point is a win is better but... well yeah! Off course it is but city are doing an unbelievable job. That level of consistency we have to reach
If you draw a match, you drop two-thirds of the point available. A win is worth three draws. A win and a loss is better than two draws.

Because of three points for a win, going unbeaten for long stretches of league football is in complete vain, unless you are winning the vast majority of the matches.

We seem to be falling into the the trap that finishing the season with two draws in our last two away matches – and thereby being unbeaten – would be better than winning one and losing the other.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
If you draw a match, you drop two-thirds of the point available. A win is worth three draws. A win and a loss is better than two draws.

Because of three points for a win, going unbeaten for long stretches of league football is in complete vain, unless you are winning the vast majority of the matches.

We seem to be falling into the the trap that finishing the season with two draws in our last two away matches – and thereby being unbeaten – would be better than winning one and losing the other.
If that one point could potentially be the difference in catching City you'd be right. But if its a matter of being 2nd by 5 points vs being 2nd by 6 points and going undefeated on the road all season, I know what's a bigger achievement and it's not the former.

golden_blunder

Staff

Fergie used to say if you lose more than 6 a season you wouldn’t be champions

2 draws is better than 2 defeats no? If we win the vast majority we’d be champions
I think you’re complaining for the sake off it. It’s been a good season so far, improved from last season

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Can't we have one positive thread without it being invaded by the hordes of miserable cnuts?

Water Melon

Can't we have one positive thread without it being invaded by the hordes of miserable cnuts?
Really? Then why not mention it in the OP, saying that the thread is extremely subjective and deeper looks at the context and the points earned/dropped during this "almost record" are of no importance. The invincibles won the league that season against Utd managed by SAF, while us even when looking through your extremely rose tinted glasses, have visually crumbled under pressure by losing our lead and dropping significantly behind in 4 weeks time. To me this "almost record" means sweet fook all. I still am not sure if we are going to finish second in the prem or win EL. Now I am calling you a deluded cnut. Hope you like it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Really? Then why not mention it in the OP, saying that the thread is extremely subjective and deeper looks at the context and the points earned/dropped during this "almost record" are of no importance. The invincibles won the league that season against Utd managed by SAF, while us even when looking through your extremely rose tinted glasses, have visually crumbled under pressure by losing our lead and dropping significantly behind in 4 weeks time. To me this "almost record" means sweet fook all. I still am not sure if we are going to finish second in the prem or win EL. Now I am calling you a deluded cnut. Hope you like it.