United's In's and Out's

Thepinhead

In - Donny Van Der Beek
Mateo Mejia
Marc Jurado
Alvaro Fernandez
Dean Henderson - Returns from Loan

Out - Alexis Sanchez

Have I missed any we did not sign Messi over the weekend did we...
Joel Pereira going out on loan

mattunited1978

doommonger
In - Donny Van Der Beek
Mateo Mejia
Marc Jurado
Alvaro Fernandez
Dean Henderson - Returns from Loan

Out - Alexis Sanchez

Have I missed any we did not sign Messi over the weekend did we...
Mejia signed last season. Radek Vitek, Joe Hugill and Logan Pye from Sunderland and Isak Hanson Aaroen have all been signed this season if your including youth team signings.

lysglimt

Scout
Well we havent signed Donny van de Beek yet so that is premature - but

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
All supporters should as loads of dead wood on high wages need to be shipped out yet.
I doubt there will be many United fans checking an Ins and Outs thread(that probably won't even reach a second page) on the hour every hour for news of certain players(oft referred to as deadwood)leaving United. The next time the Internet crashes it will almost certainly be when Jesse Lingard and/or Phil Jones have left the building!

Eli Zee

If this thread doesn't get to like 10+ pages, United didn't do nearly enough business.

INF-AMOS

I doubt there will be many United fans checking an Ins and Outs thread(that probably won't even reach a second page) on the hour every hour for news of certain players(oft referred to as deadwood)leaving United. The next time the Internet crashes it will almost certainly be when Jesse Lingard and/or Phil Jones have left the building!
I was delighted to see Sanchez off the books and will be happy to see the back of quite a few more. Lingard etc....

Having a sky high wage bill through excess dead wood directly affect the purse strings at Olly's disposal. If you want to see more new signings then you should care how much excess high earning baggage we manage to offload?

Ok, might not quite be cracking open a bottle of Moet if we somehow palmed Phil Jones off to Newcastle or Cowdenbeath, but I'd be thinking we're nearer to bringing in a quality replacement.

Class of 63

Sourness
I was delighted to see Sanchez off the books and will be happy to see the back of quite a few more. Lingard etc....

Having a sky high wage bill through excess dead wood directly affect the purse strings at Olly's disposal. If you want to see more new signings then you should care how much excess high earning baggage we manage to offload?

Ok, might not quite be cracking open a bottle of Moet if we somehow palmed Phil Jones off to Newcastle or Cowdenbeath, but I'd be thinking we're nearer to bringing in a quality replacement.
There might be one or two more in-comings but I doubt there will be any great exodus this window, as we still need squad depth.

dove

There might be one or two more in-comings but I doubt there will be any great exodus this window, as we still need squad depth.
I get the point about the squad depth but we have like 5 players in the squad that are not even good enough for that so what’s the point in having them.

Class of 63

Sourness
I get the point about the squad depth but we have like 5 players in the squad that are not even good enough for that so what’s the point in having them.
Don't be fooled by Ole's reluctance to use certain squad players towards the end of last season, they were all must win games for starters and you keep your best players on unless they are injured, and the drop-off of in fitness levels of the starters and bench players was huge, probably bigger than when players are at peak fitness halfway through a normal season and those just starting pre-season.

Ole gambled and you can't say it didn't work because the sole objective after the restart was T4 which we achieved, and if Chelsea hadn't had a clear advantage(extra days rest sat with their feet up just down the road from the neutral venue), and a weak Referee hadn't allowed Sevilla's bench to Referee that match we may well have been in two finals, and I doubt with ideal preparation time we'd have lost both.

Of the 5, i'm guessing, Jones, Rojo, Mata, LINGARD and Pereira have all made contributions over the years, and if they are happy to stay knowing unless there are injuries they won't get much game time what's the harm them staying till we get upgrades which won't happen in one window, maybe not even two.

I'm all for playing kids, probably as much as anybody on the forum, but if we were playing the last match of the Champions League group stage and we had an injury crisis going into a must win game, say Porto(away), i'd rather have Pereira coming into midfield than Garner, Levitt or Galbraith, or Lingard over Mejbri if we needed somebody to link the midfield to the attack.

Class of 63

Sourness
Deadwood prevents new players arriving. For example Upamecano won't be done until Smalling has gone.
Not necessarily, if we brought another CB in first Smalling, Jones and Rojo would all know they are further down the pecking order and they'd be more likely to consider moving to clubs they might not have done if the new CB hadn't came in.

Pavl3n

Deadwood prevents new players arriving. For example Upamecano won't be done until Smalling has gone.
I am sure there's work being done as we speak with regards Smalling and Rojo.
They will leave. And I think Jesse or Pereira will follow, if not both.

We might be two players away from acquiring a very well balanced and good squad.

El Zoido

I am sure there's work being done as we speak with regards Smalling and Rojo.
They will leave. And I think Jesse or Pereira will follow, if not both.

We might be two players away from acquiring a very well balanced and good squad.
Pereira might leave, think Lingard will stay though.

Smores

Pereira might leave, think Lingard will stay though.
That should be the case, Periera has failed here without question. Lingard was pivotal in 2017/18 season let's not forget. He shouldn't be anywhere near a starter but if he's happy to be a squad player with very little game time then we've had far worse options down the years.

I'd keep him for another season until a couple of the youngsters come through.

Zen86

That should be the case, Periera has failed here without question. Lingard was pivotal in 2017/18 season let's not forget. He shouldn't be anywhere near a starter but if he's happy to be a squad player with very little game time then we've had far worse options down the years.

It’s a shame as Lingard is a decent option to have on the bench when he gets his head down and really plays. He’s become distracted and hasn’t prioritised his football in the last couple years. Surely his change in agent means he’s on his way out though.

Red Comet

Looks like we are still having problem shifting deadwood out of the club. Clubs that might have taken a chance in the past are now going to be prudent with their spending.

Players with Reported Interest
  • Romero
  • Smalling
  • Pereira
Still looking for Buyers
  • Jones
  • Rojo
  • Lingard
  • Dalot

Falcow

I think a loan option for Jones would be great for all concerned. He is a good defender if he could get a run of games and stay fit of course. I would be pleased for him to see him get a run for someone like Villa or Newcastle.
Make it happen Ole.

Pavl3n

Looks like we are still having problem shifting deadwood out of the club. Clubs that might have taken a chance in the past are now going to be prudent with their spending.

• Romero
  • Smalling
  • Pereira
Still looking for Buyers
  • Jones
  • Rojo
  • Lingard
  • Dalot
Who has he been linked to?

JohnnyKills

Agree with this. He's easily the most useful squad option out of that group that also includes Mata and Pereira.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

The thing about Lingard is the money he’s on. We need to get away from drastically overpaying our players and it starts with shipping out the deadwood on big sums

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

• Romero
  • Smalling
  • Pereira
Still looking for Buyers
  • Jones
  • Rojo
  • Lingard
  • Dalot
You can add Fred to that I think.

Amerifan

• Romero
  • Smalling
  • Pereira
Still looking for Buyers
  • Jones
  • Rojo
  • Lingard
  • Dalot
COVID made everyone cautious. Bigger clubs, with few exceptions Chelsea, aren’t raiding the smaller clubs this window. So likely destinations for players we allegedly want to sell dont have the cash. Smalling seems likely to go. I’ll be surprised if any of the others are off the books this summer.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Of the 5, i'm guessing, Jones, Rojo, Mata, LINGARD and Pereira have all made contributions over the years, and if they are happy to stay knowing unless there are injuries they won't get much game time what's the harm them staying till we get upgrades which won't happen in one window, maybe not even two.
Well - wages. Trimming the wage bill (further) seems like a good idea. Some of those players are on very good money.

Or - all of them are, actually, relatively speaking. Which doesn't make it any easier to get rid of 'em, of course - but we should probably try at least.

Smores

The thing about Lingard is the money he’s on. We need to get away from drastically overpaying our players and it starts with shipping out the deadwood on big sums
That's true enough it just depends on whether we have the numbers or we'd them need to get somebody else in. If we can get someone in on cheaper wages for a similar price as to what we obtain for Lingard then grand. We need to stop over rewarding players for a purple patch and I'm not convinced we've learnt that lesson.

Ideally your youth are your cheap fillers but sometimes it ends up being your unwanted bunch. I think most clubs have that issue.

sp_107

Agreed, Can someone explain why we gave such a huge contracts to Jesse/Jones/Rojo and few others when no club is ready to pay that kind of money to them ?

BorisManUtd

Expect Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Dalot, Lingard, Romero and Pereira to leave by the end of next summer.

Pavl3n

Expect Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Dalot, Lingard, Romero and Pereira to leave by the end of next summer.
Bar Dalot and Lingard, they should leave this summer. If the before mentioned leave this summer as well - great. But will take some work to get rid of all.

crossy1686

career ending
Agreed, Can someone explain why we gave such a huge contracts to Jesse/Jones/Rojo and few others when no club is ready to pay that kind of money to them ?
It’s how we do business.

It doesn’t make sense for us to negotiate with teams for players because when they see us coming they inflate the price. We wait for other teams to do all the legwork and then come in late with a better offer.

Also, we need to pay players a fair wage in comparison to other players. Imagine signing a £50k a week deal then finding out Lingard and Rojo are on £100k?

sp_107

It’s how we do business.

It doesn’t make sense for us to negotiate with teams for players because when they see us coming they inflate the price. We wait for other teams to do all the legwork and then come in late with a better offer.

Also, we need to pay players a fair wage in comparison to other players. Imagine signing a £50k a week deal then finding out Lingard and Rojo are on £100k?
Why should we give 100K a week salaries to players like Lingard/Rojo in first place?

crossy1686

career ending
Why should we give 100K a week salaries to players like Lingard/Rojo in first place?
Because why would they accept less when we’ve got Pogba and De Gea on £300k? McTomminay and Williams make almost £100k.

Also, Chelsea just paid Chilwell £200k and Havertz £370k. These are the going rates these days

sp_107

Because why would they accept less when we’ve got Pogba and De Gea on £300k? McTomminay and Williams make almost £100k.

Also, Chelsea just paid Chilwell £200k and Havertz £370k. These are the going rates these days
In that case we shouldnt renew their contracts and find better players for 100K a week wages.My opinion anyway but you may disagree.

crossy1686

career ending
In that case we shouldnt renew their contracts and find better players for 100K a week wages.My opinion anyway but you may disagree.
I agree. They’re not good enough to play for United but unfortunately someone decided they were a few years ago.

Lingard does offer an option if he can get his head out of his arse but I think that ship has sailed now. I don’t think he’ll ever recover any kind of form at United.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

You’re quite literally just making numbers up. Williams and McTominay don’t make anywhere near £100k.

crossy1686

career ending
You’re quite literally just making numbers up. Williams and McTominay don’t make anywhere near £100k.
I’m not. Rashford now makes north of £200k, Williams just signed a new deal for north of £50k and McTomminay signed a new deal earlier in the year that was a bumper on his £50k deal, something like £75k wasn’t it? I appreciate they’re some way off £100k but they’re close to that fee than £100k is to £300k, which is what we’re paying the big guns