United's relationship with Royal Antwerp

flappyjay

Antwerp are are Belgian congratulations to them. Didn’t think I would see them where they are from when they used to get our academy lads on loan.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Congratulation on are Belgian x

Von Mistelroum

Antwerp are are Belgian congratulations to them. Didn’t think I would see them where they are from when they used to get our academy lads on loan.
Huge congrats to them on being Belgian! I always suspected they might be, but this confirmation is amazing to hear!

Intenhaagwetrust

I drove past the stadium in 2017 and 2019 on the way to staying in the Netherlands for a few weeks holiday, in 2017 I was stuck on the motorway outside for almost 3 hours, I know most bricks in that place now.. Ha!

But jokes aside it's a stunning stadium and my 7 year old son now has a new favorite second team after I told him what we had done in the past with them.

Great to see them back on the up and up

TheRedDevil2019

Happy for them just to hear that banging goal song "Taste of Summer" in the champions league! (Classic 2001 trance track).

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Was going to congratulate them until I realized they're managed by that prick Mark van Bommel

MarkoDolohov

Man... We were bloody pioneers. All these club affiliates we had going at the turn of the century, state of the art training ground at the time, constant investment in the best young talent (just from the top of my head, Rooney, Rio, Ronaldo were all about prior to the Glazers) and yet because of the Glazers not only did all that progress stop we let others catchup and overtake us. So much so that we are a ghost of the club we could have been.These rats realised that they had it golden under Fergie hence the limited investment and clocked that hang on a second, we do not have a manager who papered over the cracks so had to spend like crazy to try and play catchup. A decade on, billions wasted on debt repayments and transfer fees we are still behind.

The blueprint was there and we let our rivals springboard their success upon the back of it. And tbh with the way the takeover is looking likely to go, we will be having a seventh Glazer amongst our mitts. We cant get rid of the Rats once and for all can we? The stadium has not been developed since they came into power. I am pretty certain plans for quadrants were completed under their reign but were sanctioned prior to the takeover.

Ditto with the training ground. I am sure we received a face-lift during Moyseys time but the speed at which other clubs have developed better training complexes is just not acceptable. Swear if we were still at the cliff the Glazers would have been happy to let us continue being there.

Anyway enough is enough. I saw this post get bumped up and had a small chuckle as I read through the past images. Some meming Inter being our feeder club but I swear they have since went onto win the title and reach the finals of the UCL. Fingers crossed they stop the much fabled fans. Another post that was a huge throwback was seeing past names that went to the club and represent us at youth level. Antwerp was always the club I would be on FM due to the distant connection but it appears yet another item that will be in our legacy of what could have been. Sigh

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Best day of my football supporting life! Been following them since playing there as a kid in the 90s, went to Wembley in 1993 for the Cup Winners Cup final, saw them get relegated and struggle for years, and now this!

Crazy end to the season. Throughout the last games (played simultaneously), first Union were champions, then Genk and finally Antwerp. Hometown boy Toby Alderweireld with the winner in the 94th minute:

Real Name

What and ending to the league, my god. Only football can do this.

My best man is living in Bruxelles, he's a SGU fan and will be sad.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Does this playoff system really have big support amongst fans? I think it’s utterly daft that you play 30 games and then your points are halved before the top 4 teams face each other twice. Sure it makes sense for tv companies and it creates more excitement but it isn’t a particularly fair system.

They should’ve just kept 18 teams and played 34 normal games.

Tarrou

Wallwork getting banned for life for grabbing the ref by the throat probably didn't help the relationship

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Does this playoff system really have big support amongst fans? I think it’s utterly daft that you play 30 games and then your points are halved before the top 4 teams face each other twice. Sure it makes sense for tv companies and it creates more excitement but it isn’t a particularly fair system.

We all know it's a cash grab from the tv companies, but it does usually make for an exciting end of the season. There is a certain charm in playing this little all-or-nothing tournament to end the season. It's effin' nerve wracking though

AlexiV

Supports
FCB

Now more than in the beginning. TV money has gone up and our results in Europe have improved since. Agree with Botim that it makes for an exciting end of the season, year in year out. The part before is less exciting though, because you know you can drop points left and right and still make up for it at the end.

Last edited:

arthurka

Best day of my football supporting life! Been following them since playing there as a kid in the 90s, went to Wembley in 1993 for the Cup Winners Cup final, saw them get relegated and struggle for years, and now this!

Crazy end to the season. Throughout the last games (played simultaneously), first Union were champions, then Genk and finally Antwerp. Hometown boy Toby Alderweireld with the winner in the 94th minute:
It was really something.
Congratulations to everyone.. just everyone