United's youth recruitment of late

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
But we had fallen behind city and Chelsea in this regard. Nicky Butt deserves some credit bringing in some highly regarded youngsters. Hannibal with the greatest name and potential amongst them.
We hardly sign any youth players anymore. 95% of the academy is local talent which is why our academy is so revered, not just the winning culture.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Hmmm, unless there's a FIFA rule change or a change in the kind of Brexit deal (or no deal) Boris is doing then I think this is the last time we'll be allowed to sign 16 year olds from the EU. That rule may apply to Ireland as well.

Under 18s can't usually move countries under FIFA rules, but there's a special dispensation (due to EU free movement rules) from FIFA for the 16-18 group in Europe. I don't know if we're thinking about or can already use the "sister club" idea to set up something based in Europe.
That is a very relevant and depressing point. So it probably explains our efforts of late, trying to squeeze in a few before the big freeze. Alas.

Mainly shit, hence the reason they aint in the Premier
That's not true at all. For both those players our preference is likely teams that play out from the back, for instance.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Rashford, Greenwood, McTominay, Pogba, Williams, Henderson, TFM

who else am I missing?
As it stands: Rashford, Greenwood, McTominay, Pogba, Lingard, Pereira, Williams and Henderson. I actually forgot to count Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah as well, although I doubt Fosu-Mensah will have a role.

Dearg hÉireann

It obviously makes good business sense to acquire the best young talents, for small fees or compensation, Hannibal aside of course! But as other posters have pointed out it's not really anything new to Man United. I remember when we signed Andreas Pereira and the hype around him at the time was unreal. I think we can all see that just because a player is sought after at 16 by the top clubs in Europe, doesn't necessarily mean that they'll turn into top class players.
I'm not meaning to have a dig at Pereira either I just used him as an example of teenage superstar Vs the reality of what he is now, which is an average footballer who has no business being at United.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The success rate for young players is low at big clubs, but at least we produce good footballers who generally go on to have good careers at various levels. There’s many a young player we e thought was nailed on to make it and hasn’t. I’ve given up those prediction games!

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Our success rate is roughly 37%.

But you can only play 11 players in any one game so that results in very few opportunities.

And if you are really successful (with someone like Giggs)...then every left winger for the next 15 years has to be better than Giggs to get into the team. Tough eh!

So, with 18 players in each group each season...and only 6/7 really being in the frame...and then they have to better than the previous intakes (and bought players)...it leaves very little opportunity in % terms.

When you then look at our record it's pretty remarkable really. If you get one breakthrough player a year that's success.

We often do better than that.

Stretender

I think the comments from Ole today are telling. I would be very surprised if a new centre back is signed. Its Mengi time

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
No it hasn't...it's been very very decent.
You don’t usually get 2-3 superstars along with another couple of top players like we did. Beckham, Giggs and Scholes is like a cheat code pretty much only matched or bettered by Barca with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi playing together.

Since class of 92 we have had loads of first team regulars.

Jonny Evans
Wes Brown
Darren Fletcher

Danny Welbeck
John O’Shea
Paul Pogba
Marcus Rashford
Jesse Lingard
Tom Cleverley

Obviously some are better than others and we had a better team for them to come into previously.
My wider point is that yes, we have brought through players but very few (if any) have lived up to their potential. There's probably only 4 of those players that could argue they had successful United careers. Rashford might be another in one or two seasons. Pogba would probably be in the Sunderland midfield now if he'd stayed rather than go to Juve for 4 seasons.

Look at some of the younger outfield players we've signed. Ronaldo, Rooney aside; we have spent some big money on young talent over the last 20 or so years and very few have been successful.

We are a club that has an almost Barca esque arrogance about the way we do things. The United/Busby way etc. We should, if you believed our hype, be doing amazing at developing young players (whether they've gone come through our academy or brought them from the outside.) Are we though?

The Original

We are signing a lot of people but I have no idea if they are shite or amazing.

I remember when we signed Pique and Rossi at virtually the same time, good players....not that it did United much good.
The fact that their signings did not do that much for Utd is down to Utd. Both players could not get playing time.

lysglimt

Scout
The fact is - we are doing exceptionally well. No one is even close to what we are doing in terms of youth Development/recruitment in the UK. And most of the clubs in Europe who are at our level have a huge advantage over us because they can afford to give players the chance to learn. Someone like Ajax can field 3-4 new players each season and still end 2nd or 3rd as a worse case scenario - while we are playing the best in the world in our League and you can't have many players learning their trade in our matches - they need to be ready.

If we can get 2 players into the first team Squad each season - it's unbelievably good. Even just 1 player is good, or at least better than all our P.L opponents.

sparx99

My wider point is that yes, we have brought through players but very few (if any) have lived up to their potential. There's probably only 4 of those players that could argue they had successful United careers. Rashford might be another in one or two seasons. Pogba would probably be in the Sunderland midfield now if he'd stayed rather than go to Juve for 4 seasons.

Look at some of the younger outfield players we've signed. Ronaldo, Rooney aside; we have spent some big money on young talent over the last 20 or so years and very few have been successful.

We are a club that has an almost Barca esque arrogance about the way we do things. The United/Busby way etc. We should, if you believed our hype, be doing amazing at developing young players (whether they've gone come through our academy or brought them from the outside.) Are we though?
I mean, yes. Yes we are. By every measure Man Utd produce more professional football players than any other club in England. They may not always be all time greats but an awful lot go on to long professional careers in the top divison.

United58

Relative to other clubs? Absolutely. Look how many homegrown players we have in our team - how many in world football can match that? And with the level we play at, it's much harder to come through the ranks than at smaller teams.

We're not Barcelona 2011, but we're doing well for ourselves.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The fact that their signings did not do that much for Utd is down to Utd. Both players could not get playing time.
Pique was bullied every time the ball went in the air and he was caught out for pace on numerous occasions. Ferguson was willing to be patient but Pique wanted to move back to Spain for personal reasons.

Spanish football suited his style much better.

Not sure that had anything top do with United.

Rossi was unbelievable at Reserve and youth level. I agree that we could have managed his loan spells much better. Loans are incredibly tricky to get right. Nevertheless he was always slightly below standard in the Premier League. Personally I think we should have given him more of a run in the team. He proved his quality abroad, but once again think the Spanish and Italian leagues suited him better.

sparx99

Pique was bullied every time the ball went in the air and he was caught out for pace on numerous occasions. Ferguson was willing to be patient but Pique wanted to move back to Spain for personal reasons.

Rossi was unbelievable at Reserve and youth level. I agree that we could have managed his loan spells much better. Loans are incredibly tricky to get right. Nevertheless he was always slightly below standard in the Premier League. Personally I think we should have given him more of a run in the team. He proved his quality abroad, but once again think the Spanish and Italian leagues suited him better.
Pique was very young for a CB as well. Only 18-19 when he was breaking through and so inevitably he got bullied a bit.

The Original

I can't agree on Rossi...he always looked like he could make it at Utd but there were probably 3-4 players ahead of him at any given time. In any case the clube got decent fees for both player so still ended well.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I can't agree on Rossi...he always looked like he could make it at Utd but there were probably 3-4 players ahead of him at any given time. In any case the clube got decent fees for both player so still ended well.
If we had kept Rossi around for the 06/07 season instead of sending him on that ill-fated Newcastle spell he would have gotten a lot of game time that season given we had to dip into the loan market to get Henrik Larson after Saha's injury.

Just unfortunate timing and a misplaced trust in Louis' ability to stay fit.