Uno Draft: SF - willhse456 vs MJJ/syrian_scholes

Who will win the match based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enigma_87

You know who

.............................TEAM willhse456..........................................................................TEAM MJJ

TACTICS TEAM willhse456

There’s not a huge amount to say about my defence, probably the best in the draft as it stands. 2 great defensive fullbacks, with one of the best ever centre backs Baresi, and an aggressive, tenacious Chumpitaz beside him.

My midfield three is my favourite part of the team. I have the perfect base for Zidane to work his magic. Edwards shielding the defence, with Schuster controlling possession and linking everything together.

On the left I have Stoichkov, one of the best inside forwards in the game. I have added Ronaldo to the side, obviously a huge threat. Gullit comes in on the right hand side, his energy is crucial to this side. He will join in the midfield battle and at points it will look like a 4-3-1-2 with Gullit dropping and Stoichkov playing centrally.

Why I will win

• Ronaldo vs Mcneil, complete mismatch, will have a big advantage there.
  • Ronaldo vs Keylor fecking Navas
  • "WHAT A SAVE, GORDON BANKS"
  • My team has a lot more strength and power (Gullit, Ronaldo, Zidane, Edwards) all very strong players in comparison to wimps like Rivelino
  • Pele is good, but so is Ronaldo, the difference is Pele is playing against better defenders.

TACTICS TEAM MJJ

Why I will win:-

• You can't ask for a better combination than Desailly and Scirea to stop ronaldo. Ronaldo has a poor record against Desailly, scoring twice in 7 games. The goals he scored, the first was a penalty after boban brought him down on a corner and the second he is being marked by Ibrahim Ba. Here Desailly has Scirea for company which should further help his task.
  • Gullit will not be getting much support from Thuram and I would back Ashley Cole to be up to the challenge.
  • Robson was a man who relished big occasions, here with Edwards occupied with Pele. It will take all schuster has to survive the midfield of Robson and Breitner. Schuster will have flashbacks of 1984 when he along with maradona thought they would have an easy tie only to be shocked by an amazing performance by Captain Marvel.

• Talking about past victories, Chumpitaz will be facing some very familiar foes. He has come across Pele, Rivelino and Jairzinho before. The match ended 4-2 with Pele hitting the post twice, assisting once, Rivelino scoring, assisting twice and Jairzinho scoring one.

In conclusion while both sides are playing similar set ups, my side has a better real world record against the opposition. Chumpitaz is the weakest defender on the pitch and his lack of height will be telling against Baresi.

Last edited:

willhse456

Good luck @MJJ

Ignore the bits about McNeil :lol: Desailly at centre back took me by surprise slightly, so will re analyse and post my thoughts.

Himannv

All teams are pretty good now so there's not much in it. Batistuta is the worst possible opponent for Chumpitaz I think. On the other hand, Banks is a much better keeper than Navas. Decisions decisions..

MJJ

All teams are pretty good now so there's not much in it. Batistuta is the worst possible opponent for Chumpitaz I think. On the other hand, Banks is a much better keeper than Navas. Decisions decisions..
Navas has gone against Messi numerous times who is the best finisher in the modern game and held his own. Has won the UCL three times in a row and there is a reason he is Zidane's preferred choice at keeper.

Also, bringing in some observations on my opponent from one of the best drafters here ;)

Agree with the comments about Chumpitaz and I think it's a bit questionable to pick him in drafts where you don't have a taller CB alongside him to deal with the arial threat. At 5'6", I just don't see how he'd deal with someone like Batistuta who would just tower over him at 6'3". Even someone like Kocsis who isn't very tall but was great in the air might give him problems. I think he'd just about manage Seeler who just has an inch over him, but not sure how he'd fare against some other opponents.
I felt he was a strong player but haven't seen much of him in terms of arial battles. Having said that, you'd have to give him almost no chance against someone like Batigol who is close to being a foot taller while having a good leap on him as well.

MJJ

Thanks. That match is recommended viewing for everyone. Robson dominating maradona and schuster with wilkins for company. Here he has breitner to help him as well.

Another match I would recommend is

My Brazilian trio giving the run around to a Chumpitaz led defense. Pele could have had a hattrick, Rivelino a hattrick of assists.

willhse456

• I think I have control of the wings here, limiting the Batistuta heading threat. MJJ's right hand side has Jairzinho that wont get much change out of Nilton, and Djalma was very defensive. Rivelino from what I've seen liked to drift inside, so staying out wide and crossing wasn't really his play style
  • Think I also have a midfield overload, especially with Gullit joining in to help. Gullit makes a huge difference in this game with his workrate and speed
  • My counters would be deadly
  • MJJ will give footage of 1970 Brazil no doubt, but of course that Brazilian team was good, take Chumpitaz out of that Peru team and they'd probably get smacked a lot worse. This isn't about those teams but the teams in the OP
  • Desailly isn't playing in his peak position and voters should consider that.

MJJ

• I think I have control of the wings here, limiting the Batistuta heading threat. MJJ's right hand side has Jairzinho that wont get much change out of Nilton, and Djalma was very defensive. Rivelino from what I've seen liked to drift inside, so staying out wide and crossing wasn't really his play style
  • Think I also have a midfield overload, especially with Gullit joining in to help. Gullit makes a huge difference in this game with his workrate and speed
  • My counters would be deadly
  • MJJ will give footage of 1970 Brazil no doubt, but of course that Brazilian team was good, take Chumpitaz out of that Peru team and they'd probably get smacked a lot worse. This isn't about those teams but the teams in the OP
  • Desailly isn't playing in his peak position and voters should consider that.
  • Jairzinho is going to get more change than Stoickhov will from the other santos. Jairzinho was also a very good cross of the ball and you are playing thuram as a right back :lol: if we are talking about defensive right backs.
  • Rivelino was also a very good crosser of the ball and as the match last night showed fullbacks can also create chances easily.
  • You have Gullit joining in which btw means you have no presence on the right flank, if you want to fight a midfield battle I am more than happy to oblige. But your first and second point contradict themselves. If Rivelino is drifting inside you don't have a midfield overload. If he is staying out wide, he is crossing to Batistuta.
  • You want to talk about counters against Pele, Rivelino, Jairzinho and Batistuta :lol: My defense is also significantly faster than yours.
  • I did more than that, 1970 and 1984. Take Robson out of that united team and they had probably get smacked.
  • Desailly: "Today, Marcel Desailly is a central defender. That's a point I wanted to make, I will not play again in midfield".

willhse456

I'll be honest though, I think it would be an incredibly tight game, a lot of these players are very evenly matched in most positions. If we're looking at parts of the pitch, I have the better defence, you have to consider Navas and he is a huge weak link. Nilton far better than Cole too.

Midfield is incredibly even, and I think that comes down to personal preference.

I personally rate Stoichkov and Gullit as better players than Jairzinho and Rivelino. Jairzinho had a very short peak, in comparison to my two.

I also think that Zidane and Ronaldo are more balanced as a pairing than Batistuta and Pele, plus having the added bonus of playing together in real life.

MJJ

Desailly himself considered Centre Back his real position and has an excellent record against ronaldo at centreback.

At Stamford Bridge, you went from defensive midfielder to central defender. Why? Which position did you prefer?

Tom Penney, Manchester
The game is much more tactical in Italy and I was in a different phase, too. I managed to get by in midfield. In England I was in a period when I needed to get back to my original position, my real position, at centre-back. The game is so much quicker in England, there’s no time to turn and you are fouled much more. I was heading towards the final years at the top level and I needed to be playing in the position where I was most comfortable.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/marcel-desailly-one-one#uMjUhOeGCkBZXpaE.99

MJJ

I'll be honest though, I think it would be an incredibly tight game, a lot of these players are very evenly matched in most positions. If we're looking at parts of the pitch, I have the better defence, you have to consider Navas and he is a huge weak link. Nilton far better than Cole too.

Midfield is incredibly even, and I think that comes down to personal preference.

I personally rate Stoichkov and Gullit as better players than Jairzinho and Rivelino. Jairzinho had a very short peak, in comparison to my two.

I also think that Zidane and Ronaldo are more balanced as a pairing than Batistuta and Pele, plus having the added bonus of playing together in real life.
Lets talk about the defense.

Santos is better than Cole agreed but I disagree by far better.
Desailly is on another planet to Chumpitaz.
Baresi and Scirea are equal but my duo fits better together.
Santos is equal to Thuram.
Banks is better than Navas but navas has been tested at the highest stage.

So respectfully disagree that you have a better defense.

In attack, I have real world chemistry of Jairzinho, Rivelino and Pele who won a world cup together destroying all who came before them. If you saw Batistuta play with Totti or Ronaldo, you will know how much he would enjoy playing with Pele.

willhse456

• You have Gullit joining in which btw means you have no presence on the right flank, if you want to fight a midfield battle I am more than happy to oblige. But your first and second point contradict themselves. If Rivelino is drifting inside you don't have a midfield overload. If he is staying out wide, he is crossing to Batistuta.
Gullit is far more energetic than Rivelino, and he is also a lot more powerful, so if there is a midfield battle, mine comes out on top.

MJJ

Gullit is far more energetic than Rivelino, and he is also a lot more powerful, so if there is a midfield battle, mine comes out on top.
What does that have to do with a midfield overload?

Can you confirm what version of Schuster you are playing and how are you dealing with no presence on the right wing? Will Gullit being part of the midfield.

Also, wanna watch the video I shared in the OP? You don't come out on top against a midfield containing Robson.

willhse456

Have to go now for a couple of hours but will be back later on, both teams are very even and in those types of games the keepers make a huge difference, remember that when you vote!

Enigma_87

You know who
Lets talk about the defense.

Santos is better than Cole agreed but I disagree by far better.
Desailly is on another planet to Chumpitaz.
Baresi and Scirea are equal but my duo fits better together.
Santos is equal to Thuram.
Banks is better than Navas but navas has been tested at the highest stage.

So respectfully disagree that you have a better defense.

In attack, I have real world chemistry of Jairzinho, Rivelino and Pele who won a world cup together destroying all who came before them. If you saw Batistuta play with Totti or Ronaldo, you will know how much he would enjoy playing with Pele.
I'd argue that Desailly at CB is a lot better than Chumpitaz. Probably on the same level to me or thereabouts.

I've grown to appreciate Chumpitaz a lot more having watched some of the copa and other games online since I've started following these drafts.

To me Baresi/Chumpitaz is the better duo if we talk about isolated case, but you do have advantage stylistically them facing Batistuta.

I rate Nilton a lot better than Ashley but Djalma is better than Thuram.

Overall if we're talking about defences Will has the better one due to the keeper. Take the keepers out of the equation and it's pretty much dead even.

MJJ

I'd argue that Desailly at CB is a lot better than Chumpitaz. Probably on the same level to me or thereabouts.

I've grown to appreciate Chumpitaz a lot more having watched some of the copa and other games online since I've started following these drafts.

To me Baresi/Chumpitaz is the better duo if we talk about isolated case, but you do have advantage stylistically them facing Batistuta.

Overall if we're talking about defences Will has the better one due to the keeper. Take the keepers out of the equation and it's pretty much dead even.
Nah, not having that. Chumpitaz played most of his career in the peruvian and mexican leagues whereas Desailly spent the majority of his career in Serie A up against the best strikers in the world including a certain R9. I would say Desailly is better at everything that chumpitaz does.

I would also disagree with Thuram being worse than Djalma, the letter is the best defensive right back of the modern world and I would not put him below any fullback. The problem with will is that he is asking Gullit to join the midfield battle so ideally should have a more offensive or balanced right back.

Enigma_87

You know who
Nah, not having that. Chumpitaz played most of his career in the peruvian and mexican leagues whereas Desailly spent the majority of his career in Serie A up against the best strikers in the world including a certain R9. I would say Desailly is better at everything that chumpitaz does.

I would also disagree with Thuram being worse than Djalma, the letter is the best defensive right back of the modern world and I would not put him below any fullback. The problem with will is that he is asking Gullit to join the midfield battle so ideally should have a more offensive or balanced right back.
Desailly spent his career in Italy as DM though, not CB ;) and also having non other than Baresi as last resort.

To me Djalma is the best RB in the defensive phase. Rate Thuram a lot of course, but would always pick Djalma historically.

MJJ

Desailly spent his career in Italy as DM though, not CB ;) and also having non other than Baresi as last resort.

To me Djalma is the best RB in the defensive phase. Rate Thuram a lot of course, but would always pick Djalma historically.
He was a CB for france as well and played at CB often enough through out his career. The man considers CB his best position who are we to disagree?

Indnyc

I agree with this.. Can't fault either teams as both are well constructed.. Leaning towards Will because of Banks but it's pretty much even

MJJ

I agree with this.. Can't fault either teams as both are well constructed.. Leaning towards Will because of Banks but it's pretty much even
I would say even more than banks, the deciding factor could be set pieces. How is anyone guarding Batistuta on them?

Indnyc

I would say even more than banks, the deciding factor could be set pieces. How is anyone guarding Batistuta on them?
I think Banks would be better at set pieces than Navas. Thuram or Edwards could pick up Batigol on Corners/Setpieces in terms of size/leap(though i don't know what Will has planned)

Enigma_87

You know who
He was a CB for france as well and played at CB often enough through out his career. The man considers CB his best position who are we to disagree?
Desailly couldn't establish himself for France at CB before the 96 EURO and even in one or two games was moved on to midfield from memory.

Obviously a great stopper but I like him as DM more, where he's GOAT level alongside Rijkaard.

MJJ

I think Banks would be better at set pieces than Navas. Thuram or Edwards could pick up Batigol on Corners/Setpieces in terms of size/leap(though i don't know what Will has planned)
It balances out though, Banks will be better but I have Desailly and Scirea at centreback. Edwards was 5 ft 11, wouldn't say he was the tallest individual around. Its only thuram who can realistically be expected to guard Batistuta here but that leves Pele alone who is no slouch either. However, thuram will not be able to help him out on crosses.

I also feel having a right side which is not functional will make his attacks one sided and easier to defend.

MJJ

Desailly couldn't establish himself for France at CB before the 96 EURO and even in one or two games was moved on to midfield from memory.

Obviously a great stopper but I like him as DM more, where he's GOAT level alongside Rijkaard.
Fair enough, I would say he is GOAT level at both DM and CB. Baresi retired in 1997, as per transfermarket Desailly faced Ronaldo 7 times while playing in central defense(no Baresi) and only conceded twice, one of which was a pen and the other Ba lost Ronaldo as pointed out in the OP. Does Chumpitaz have similar credentials?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That is exactly the match up where the relatively little height of will's center backs can be exposed. Although perhaps MJJ lacks a pure outstanding crosser of the ball to fully take the advantage here. It may be that I slightly underrate Chumpitaz here as I've only seen his World Cup games and never was overly impressed by him, although he would be very useful against someone of Romario's mould.

Very hard to separate teams. MJJ has the synergy, while will probably edges it in terms of the individual quality. I'd probably choose Nilton, Baresi and Thuram for my combined back four but somehow MJJ's backline looks a bit better to me.

MJJ

willhse456

That is exactly the match up where the relatively little height of will's center backs can be exposed. Although perhaps MJJ lacks a pure outstanding crosser of the ball to fully take the advantage here. It may be that I slightly underrate Chumpitaz here as I've only seen his World Cup games and never was overly impressed by him, although he would be very useful against someone of Romario's mould.

Very hard to separate teams. MJJ has the synergy, while will probably edges it in terms of the individual quality. I'd probably choose Nilton, Baresi and Thuram for my combined back four but somehow MJJ's backline looks a bit better to me.
You have to consider Banks and Navas as part of the defence, otherwise what's the point of having keepers? Might as well draft Jon from the pub if that's the case.

willhse456

He would never have been drafted if you didn't have the restrictions in place.

willhse456

The same point applies to Chumpitaz. Who is providing width down the right btw?
I know you're trying to pinpoint Gullit down to one position, but it's not that simple. He is good enough to provide width and come centrally when needed

willhse456

I disagree about Chumpitaz, whilst he's not in the top bracket of defenders, he definitely holds his own in an all time draft.

willhse456

What's your plan for dealing with Zidane roaming between the lines? Would one of your two central midfielders stick tight to him leaving space for others? Leaving him would be risky especially with his incredible vision and passing ability, he would be able to find Ronaldo with ease.

I think in terms of creativity my team has the edge. Zidane and Rivelino are the two main creators in both teams, with Zidane obviously having the edge there. In terms of support acts Schuster provides incisive passing from a slightly deeper starting position whilst Gullit is also more than capable.

Keep Rivelino quiet and then I don't really see where MJJ makes his chances, Jairzinho was quick and strong, but not one to pass through the lines, I'd be more than confident that Nilton would be able to look after him fairly comfortably.

Himannv

I disagree about Chumpitaz, whilst he's not in the top bracket of defenders, he definitely holds his own in an all time draft.
I've got no problem with Chumpitaz as a defender and I think he's quite comparable with Desailly in quality. The bigger concern for me is who he's up against due to the height difference. Batistuta is just literally the worst possible striker for him to face, and with Pele buzzing around him, it's an attack that I think will cause a lot of problems for what is actually an exceptional defense. It's a tough one to call as it's the only potential weakness I see in your side.

Having said that, there is definitely a gap in quality between Navas and Banks and I think you win the midfield battle.