Unpopular Football Opinions

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Portugal are cheating bastards. (its a popular opinion in the world of football, but not on this forum because they have players with ties to Utd)

From a technical view point, Jack Wilshere's probably Englands most talented midfielder.

On ability, Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the best striker in the world.

sajeev

Had he maintained his top level for a lot longer than he did, I think that by the end of his career he'd have been thought of on the same level as Zidane eventually.
he would have been regarded much higher than Zidane. Even now if you ask someone to choose between them at their peaks, you are likely to find the split leaning towards Ronaldinho rather than Zidane.

And in the entertainment stakes, there is no one from the 90s onwards who would come close

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Seeing some of the comments about him in the media lately, it almost feels as if rating De Gea is becoming an unpopular opinion among rival fans, when he's actually a very good goalkeeper who will be a top quality one.

alastair

ignorant
Everyone knows De Gea is great except when he's faced with aerial bombardments. At the end of the day, what he did against Fulham yesterday was terrible goalkeeping.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It was, however most pundits seem to not really rate him at the moment when he is a good goalkeeper right now. A lot of people I know think he's one of the weak links in our team.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
It's just a lazy narrative for pundits to follow. Any error will be used as an example of that in their in depth analysis of how much he needs to toughen-up to match his legendary predecessor.

At some point the narrative will change to how good and reliable he is, and then all the pundits will analysis how much he saves us. Equally lazy.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I maintain the Carvalho made him look way better by saving his ass numerous times each game.
Completely agree with you. Terry was a good defender in his prime, but was massively overrated due to a combination of being English and the defence he had alongside him.

PTME

Reserve Team Player
Aguero is twice the player Wayne Rooney is.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Everyone knows De Gea is great except when he's faced with aerial bombardments. At the end of the day, what he did against Fulham yesterday was terrible goalkeeping.
Yup. He has a flaw and needs to work on it big time. A keeper should not come out and miss the ball completely. He didn't even have to come out that far. The cross was right infront of him. He just has trouble going through bodies (not literally) to get the ball which is what the dominant keepers do.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Completely agree with you. Terry was a good defender in his prime, but was massively overrated due to a combination of being English and the defence he had alongside him.
Not to mention Makelele breaking attacks down brilliantly infront of him.

AKDevil

Reina is shit. My god what a calamity he is! How on earth did he escape the battering DDG got on Saturday?
His mistake yesterday was arguably worse than DDG's on Saturday.
A mix up with defender due to keeper, I guess, not calling with Reina not even even having the excuse of being fouled.
The word 'Reina' did not even get mentioned by Redknapp in his analysis of that goal yesterday.
Confirmation that certain people have got it in for DDG.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Reina is shit. My god what a calamity he is! How on earth did he escape the battering DDG got on Saturday.
It was arguably worse - a mix up with defender due to keeper, I guess, not calling but Reina didn't even half the excuse of not being fouled.
The word Reina did not even get mentioned by Redknapp in his analysis of that goal yesterday.
The commentator didn't mention it on motd, and it wasn't even mentioned in the studio afterwards.

Fal

Reina is shit. My god what a calamity he is! How on earth did he escape the battering DDG got on Saturday?
His mistake yesterday was arguably worse than DDG's on Saturday.
A mix up with defender due to keeper, I guess, not calling with Reina not even even having the excuse of being fouled.
The word 'Reina' did not even get mentioned by Redknapp in his analysis of that goal yesterday.
I think it's because people have this imagine of him being one of the best in the world. Look, there's a reason he's nowhere close to starting for Spain and it's not just because of Iker Casillas..

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
If you're great at attacking yet shit at defending, you're a shit fullback.
So Glenn Johnson isn't shit?

I think the main question should be, does such a player's offensive contribution outweigh his detriment to the defense? If Johnson gets 6 assists but Liverpool concede 12 goals down their right because Johnson is out of position then he's a shit fullback.

That's my problem with players like Johnson and Bosingwa, as much as they help the attack they seem to overall be the cause of more goals conceded than they manage to help create.

Hallucinogen

Not sure if its an unpopular opinion and I of all people should not be saying this but I feel that Fat Ronaldo before injury was a better player than Messi at the same ages and would have gone to be a player with an even more fearful skill set than the Messi of today.

The only player I have seen who had Drogba like strength, Messi like finishing, Maradona/Messi like dribbling, Ronaldino's inventive tricks and two footed-ness.

Not to mention he was a brilliant passer too.

One wonders what could have been....

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Great point. People that think Rafael is a shit fullback because he isnt great at defending fail to see how good he is overall because of his offensive qualities. Theres a reason why Rafael, even when poor defensively, is seen as a better full back than Antonio Valencia, despite Valencia being a better winger.

Full backs have an important role of creating imbalance in the opposition's defensive structure as well as defending. In many ways, the midfielders carry a bigger responsibility for defensive structure than a fullback if the team sets out that way.

The notion of 4 - 4 - 2 with the back 4 being mainly defensive minded is out dated.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Are people having trouble reading this?

So Glenn Johnson isn't shit?
You've seemingly picked fault with it while saying exactly the same thing.

Great point. People that think Rafael is a shit fullback because he isnt great at defending fail to see how good he is overall because of his offensive qualities.
And you've agreed with it, and then gone on to say exactly the opposite (ignoring for a moment what bollocks the 'Rafael can't defend' cliche is).

Liam147

On Probation
And you've agreed with it, and then gone on to say exactly the opposite (ignoring for a moment what bollocks the 'Rafael can't defend' cliche is).
He is a shit full back. However if you want to call him a wing back, meaning his attacking duties are arguably more important than defensive, then fair enough, but a full back's primary job is to defend. If they can attack too, then great.

And it's not a cliche. His only notable defensive quality is his tackling, but even that can put him into trouble. He'll bundle and dive in, and if he doesn't make the tackle he's in more trouble than someone more like, say, Ferdinand (different position, I know), who'd shadow his man, rather than commit himself. You could argue his heading, but in that position he's too short for it to have a real impact.

A lot to learn has Rafael.