Unpopular opinion - Daniel James is not very good

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Because the team isn't coached well so he has to find something new to do from his own intuition to be effective. I can't think of one outfield player that Solskjaer has successfully developed that we can say this guy has benefited from having Ole as the manager. Every stand out player this season has done so because of individual brilliance, we have never performed well as a team collective throughout 90 mins consistently. So it's hard for young players especially to make an imprint within the first team.
What you're describing there isn't reinvention. You seem to be saying that he doesn't have the individual quality to produce moments of brilliance, which is nothing to do with coaching. It is true though.

Stacks

James has the second most appearances of any United player this season after Maguire. Given his lack of experience in the game (he was a late bloomer by all accounts) and playing his first full season in the PL, is it so far beyond the realms of possibility that he did indeed burn out? The guy has been crying out for a break for some time now.

I struggle to think of a more plausible explanation for his gradual drop in form as the season progressed after looking like our most valuable asset for the first few months.
Regression to the mean

Brightonian

Because the team isn't coached well so he has to find something new to do from his own intuition to be effective. I can't think of one outfield player that Solskjaer has successfully developed that we can say this guy has benefited from having Ole as the manager. Every stand out player this season has done so because of individual brilliance, we have never performed well as a team collective throughout 90 mins consistently. So it's hard for young players especially to make an imprint within the first team.
What rubbish :lol:

RikRuud

Needs to be used less. He has played too many minutes for us. Also the thought he had his better games on the LW and as far as I can remember he’s not played there for some time.

Judas

Open to offers
Really happy for him today, good ball that won the penalty, and overall a much more positive display from him. Clearly better on the left, and I hope he gains confidence from it. I still think him coming off the bench and terrorising tired defences is the best use of him, but with some good coaching, some strength training, there's clearly a useful player in there.

TheRedHearted

It depends on the circumstances as no two players are the same. I think James would have benefited more from being a rotational player rather than one asked to perform every single week. But that was not an option for him due to a lack of alternatives in his position. In my opinion anyway.

How would you explain his drop in performance as the season progressed?
Why wasn’t Greenwood used an option there for rotation?

That he's just not that good. When he's denied space, he's very ineffective and opponents figured that out quickly enough.
If you rely on space to get through a line and players start man marking you or staying shoulder to shoulder the manager has to help you figure out ways to slip the marking or be more of a nuisance.
[He is like 22 years old. He has been training as an athlete. I get that he hasn't played many seasons or games but surely they have access to the best fitness trainers so that 22 year old athletes can actually cope with
[/QUOTE]
He played a lot less games last season though - no?
I don't know why but main theme this year is that time will solve everything. That in time player or coach will raise their skill and become new Giggs, Fergie or at least Fletcher or Park.

Well, it is not working like that. Time can solve some problems but not everything. Player can learn to be more smarter on the pitch or more efficient but some things will stay like they are.
James has average technique( even bellow average if we look only his position) and he will not in one year or five suddenly be more creative or more clinical in front of goal. He is a winger who is fast and can't beat a player ffs. Because his skill is average. Dribble, cross, finishing...all attacking skills are average. At this moment he is useful in some games but when we reach that stage( with Ole or other manager) when we will stop playing counter football and start playing attacking dominant football, James will be more or less useless for us.
Him being so fast but unable to beat
Needs to be used less. He has played too many minutes for us. Also the thought he had his better games on the LW and as far as I can remember he’s not played there for some time.
so his role next season shall be rest for Rashford or a sub for Rashford. Makes sense

Scholsey2004

Really happy for him today, good ball that won the penalty, and overall a much more positive display from him. Clearly better on the left, and I hope he gains confidence from it. I still think him coming off the bench and terrorising tired defences is the best use of him, but with some good coaching, some strength training, there's clearly a useful player in there.
Yeah, he was good today. Having a player like Bruno who can pick up a runner will make him (and Rashford) a lot more effective going forward.

Mainoldo

I don't like him. Seems like a nice guy but think he's not even a good enough bench player for where we want to be. Hopefully he can get a good move from his time here.

dbs235

Think today outlined the need for Sancho as a replacement for James. I like him and his pace makes him dangerous but I just feel he doesn't have enough end product when he gets himself into good positions. Some of the chances he had today you could imagine Sancho scoring or assisting from.

Okey

Think today outlined the need for Sancho as a replacement for James. I like him and his pace makes him dangerous but I just feel he doesn't have enough end product when he gets himself into good positions. Some of the chances he had today you could imagine Sancho scoring or assisting from.
This! Nice guy and I love the effort he's putting in, but you can't give what you don't have. He's sadly a level below what we need to be back at the top. Like you said, Sancho on that wing today (especially with a more natural striker than Martial) with the same plays and we'll be talking of a cricket score hiding.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Sancho passing the ball back to Fred would still lead to Fred smashing the ball over.

James was our most threatening attacker today, those saying he's not even good enough for our bench hasn't seen our bench lately.

In the correct set up he could be a Park Ji-sung level player.

Dan_F

Sancho passing the ball back to Fred would still lead to Fred smashing the ball over.

James was our most threatening attacker today, those saying he's not even good enough for our bench hasn't seen our bench lately.

Park had the likes of Carrick, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney, whoever, to create around him. We have Bruno. James saw the most ball today, but it was pretty poor defending to let him cut inside a few times.

Much better performance, but still don’t see him having anywhere near enough skill to play well regularly on the wing for us.

James Ward

Park had the likes of Carrick, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney, whoever, to create around him. We have Bruno. James saw the most ball today, but it was pretty poor defending to let him cut inside a few times.

Much better performance, but still don’t see him having anywhere near enough skill to play well regularly on the wing for us.
I like him and I'm thinking people are forgetting he only turned 22 in November and its his first season in the premier league.

He's definitely not good enough to be starting week in and week out for us at the moment and need to sign someone in the Summer to replace him in the starting line up.

Handy squad player to have though who is not getting a huge wage and will only get better over the next two or three years and could prove us all wrong.

Mainoldo

He's not Park level even with quality around him. He's very basic when you take away his pace. Reminds me of Walcott.

Played well today though. Just feel like i'm watching a standard footballer.

James Ward

He's not Park level even with quality around him. He's very basic when you take away his pace. Reminds me of Walcott.

Played well today though. Just feel like i'm watching a standard footballer.
He's 22 and not on a huge wage. Definitely worth waiting to see if he fulfills his potential.

Handy squad player to have but needs replacing in the starting line up in the Summer.

Definitely wouldn't get rid of him.

Mainoldo

He's 22 and not on a huge wage. Definitely worth waiting to see if he fulfills his potential.

Handy squad player to have but needs replacing in the starting line up in the Summer.

Definitely wouldn't get rid of him.
Yeah he's handy. But way down in the peaking order if we get (fingers crossed) Sancho and if Chong signs and develops.

Stepney73

I think he's a 6/10 player and needs quality competition for his place.i see him as the type to bring off the bench for the last 20 and used for league cup games or pl cannon fodder when(or if) we strengthen properly over the next 18 months.

Jezpeza

Bit harsh on him on here i think. I think eventually our squad will be at a level where he is second choice left winger. Will improve i think. Has been used far too much this season and played out of position. He prefers to cut inside but has ended up played out on the right too often or even in the centre at times. Has also played too much considering age and the step up.

DeGea

He needs a rest and also need to bulk up a bit - his shots are not powerful enough. He has had quite a few goal scoring opportunities and they were just tame shots. Otherwise he is in danger of becoming another Kagawa. I would not get rid of him just yet, he needs to be given time, there is a player in there and he is rapid.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Serious harsh judgments on this lad the last few weeks. Has had an excellent first season and I expect him to develop. He’s a winger, not suitable for any other role. Hasn’t been helped by our coach picking him out of position most of the time.

dasty

Yeah he's handy. But way down in the peaking order if we get (fingers crossed) Sancho and if Chong signs and develops.
Chong is an absolutely useless player when compared to James. People keep talking about his "potential" but from what I have seen, he simply doesn't have it in him to ever become good enough for a decent PL side, let alone for us.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I genuinely think he has an excellent first season so far, especially given his lack of experience and it's not mentioned enough here he has the most assists in your team in the premier league.

His drop in form is not unusual for a young player in his first major season, you've seen it from Rashford for example as well this season. Also he has struggled of late from double marking, see for example the Chelsea game, where as against Watford, they didn't do this and unsurprisingly he was much better. But the double marking brings a bonus as well as it means he takes up two players leaving more space for others.

The people writing him off should remember how Rashford was written off by many posters as well or McT last season, I think the boy has bags of potential, he terrifies defenders and as I said for his first ever PL season, playing almost every match in a team under as much pressure as Utd he has done brilliantly. James can be very proud of himself.

bondsname

Can't we just enjoy watching his development? He may turn out to be world-class, he may turn out to be decent, or he may turn out to be completely average or worse. Who knows? He is fecking 22!

Thought he had a very good game versus Watford, the previous weeks however he has been pretty poor. You know why? He is fecking 22! We can see what he is capable of let's hope he can produce at that level consistently.

cyril C

Can't we just enjoy watching his development? He may turn out to be world-class, he may turn out to be decent, or he may turn out to be completely average or worse. Who knows? He is fecking 22!

Thought he had a very good game versus Watford, the previous weeks however he has been pretty poor. You know why? He is fecking 22! We can see what he is capable of let's hope he can produce at that level consistently.
While some fan may claimed he had a very good game versus Watford, I lost a few hair just by watching him play. His decision making was awful all day except for 1-2 decent ones. Yes you can only learn on your game but his schooling could cost us dearly

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Thought he is not too bad. Its obvious he is not better performer in our team, far beyond that, but he is not that bad, at least offer us something, far better than useless Lingard and Pereira

This season so far:
Key performer: Rashford, AWB
Good performer: Mctominay, Fred, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno?
Decent performer: Maguire, Williams, De Gea, Shaw, Pogba(injured)
Average performer: Lindelof, James, Matic, Mata
Poor performer: Pereira, Jones
Shit performer: Lingard

meamth

Writing off a kid in his first season at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

The state of this thread....fecking hell.

Red_toad

People writing him off,classic Caf.
Caf being overly critical of a winger is classic Caf.
We once had a one trick pony on the right wing. Dan James not in that class, but he’s proven to be a very useful addition to the team. Great attitude and potential to improve. Some fans just crave ready made players, whilst harping on about youth...

PaulRich

I think hes done quite nicely considering the bear pit hes been thrown into. Should never have had the game time hes had and been eased in. Its all a question of how quick and eager he is to learn now..

Aarron Swift

Thought he is not too bad. Its obvious he is not better performer in our team, far beyond that, but he is not that bad, at least offer us something, far better than useless Lingard and Pereira

This season so far:
Key performer: Rashford, AWB
Good performer: Mctominay, Fred, Martial, Greenwood, Bruno?
Decent performer: Maguire, Williams, De Gea, Shaw, Pogba(injured)
Average performer: Lindelof, James, Matic, Mata
Poor performer: Pereira, Jones
Shit performer: Lingard
Pogba + Jones should get a n/a tbf, hardly played haha Pereira fully deserves to alongside Lingard in shit. agree with he rest though

Aarron Swift

James looks devoid of confidence when it comes finishing a chance or producing a final ball.

Despite his overall lack of quality on the ball for a vast majority of the season, he is still top of assists for us in the league with 6...and only 4th highest scorer behind Rashford, Martial & Greenwood

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Caf being overly critical of a winger is classic Caf.
We once had a one trick pony on the right wing. Dan James not in that class, but he’s proven to be a very useful addition to the team. Great attitude and potential to improve. Some fans just crave ready made players, whilst harping on about youth...
To be fair I think most critics are just assuming James isn't and never will be top level, and therefore struggle to see him as a long term starter for us. However I think you're right; there is something inherently exciting about giving younger players a go and it is not practical to expect every signing to be nailed-on first XI quality.

Personally I'm happy with James's contribution this year. I think we were all pleasantly surprised that he grabbed his chance this year but ideally he'd never have started as many games as he has. His performance yesterday was his best in a while but I think he deserves praise for the hard work he's put in in recent weeks when things haven't gone his way.

romufc

Do people realise he was signed as a talent. He is a victim of his own success.

He has the mosts assists for us this season and is it is obvious he needs to improve but even Ole knew this.

Some people expect him to be coached into a world beater in 6 months?

The reason he plays alot is because there are players at the club that are consistently failing in Lingard and Perreira. this is why he is required to play alot, add to that Rashford injury.

Cut him some slack.

Leonzo1

This guy is a great player to have as a squad option, the thing is we barely use him the way he was meant to be used:
We haven't used him as as sub to run against tired legs because we don't have anyone else to use who is better than him so he always starts. And we haven't used him as the occasional starter agains weaker opposition because he is to important for us to risk him in the easy games. As weird as that sounds he will be much better next season if we get a quality RW in, and use James as the player he is meant to be: a great sub against tired defences or as a starter against weaker teams when we can afford to rest our first teamers.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

This guy is a great player to have as a squad option, the thing is we barely use him the way he was meant to be used:
We haven't used him as as ub to run against tired legs because we don't have anyone else to use who is better than him so he always starts. And we haven't used him as the occasional starter agains weaker opposition because he is to important for us to risk him in the easy games. As weird as thoat sounds he will be much better next season if we get a quality RW in, and use James as the player he is meant to be: a great sub against tired defences or as a starter against weaker teams when we can afford to rest our first teamers.

Excellent post. We've badly mismanaged his situation and transfer, to be honest. Based mainly on us not having anyone decent to play there instead.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Saw him live against Watford.

3 things holding him back in my opinion:

1. Dribbling ability (both in space and against a parked bus)
2. Decision making
3. Stamina

If this off-season he just worked on his decision making on the break it would be a huge improvement over what he is now (which isn't bad to be honest). The elite wingers are able to dribble in space or from a stop so his ability to improve on that aspect will determine whether he can lock down a starting spot or be a reliable bench option against a tired offense (which still isn't bad)

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I genuinely think he has an excellent first season so far, especially given his lack of experience and it's not mentioned enough here he has the most assists in your team in the premier league.

His drop in form is not unusual for a young player in his first major season, you've seen it from Rashford for example as well this season. Also he has struggled of late from double marking, see for example the Chelsea game, where as against Watford, they didn't do this and unsurprisingly he was much better. But the double marking brings a bonus as well as it means he takes up two players leaving more space for others.

The people writing him off should remember how Rashford was written off by many posters as well or McT last season, I think the boy has bags of potential, he terrifies defenders and as I said for his first ever PL season, playing almost every match in a team under as much pressure as Utd he has done brilliantly. James can be very proud of himself.
Great post. It seems that there has never been a young United player that hasn't been written off by a lot of our fans. They dont all make it of course, but he is going through the same cycle as so many others do. Burst onto the scene, get figured out, adapt.

As you say here, he does terrify defences and is frequently doubled up on. Put him in an attack that has more threat coming from more areas than we presently do, and he'll flourish again.