Unpopular opinion - Daniel James is not very good

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Having the option of a player with his level of pace and incredible workrate is always going to be a plus. Whether he goes on to become a regular starter or not is of course up for debate, but I'm glad we have him. At 15m he was a friggin' steal.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
My worry about Daniel James is Sancho. That they are both right footed, both slight better on the left but capable at playing on the right.

Sancho is already well more developed, looks up when he crosses and has the ability to shoot and cut in in comparison to the younger Daniel James that can still develop - but again my problem is that if Sancho comes that we have two right footed RW's slightly better on the left and Sancho absolutely trumps him. I'd honestly have a left footed back up player like the david brooks guy from Bournemouth to be our back up if Sancho comes to provide balance in our squad than just another LW.

Personally- if we get Sancho and Grealish then James's time is looking down by next January or summer already & the only thing that would keep him is significant progress or the fact that he is a player Ole took a gamble on at a low price.

However, if Rashford can play LW, Martial can play LW, Grealish can play LW, Sancho can play LW then James is way down the line in that.

On the RW - Sancho and Greenwood are better and then James again is too much of a traditional winger type player on the RW to be consistent and 'the player' we need. As I said, the welsh david brooks would have just kind of provided that balance of atleast 3 right footed attackers and at least 2 left footed ones in our squad.

Let's just see how he progresses.

izec

He was meant to be an impact player as a sub against tired legs or play second tier games when we rest the first eleven in his first season. He is a 15m player, if he improves, great, otherwise he will always have a role to play, because he is useful at counter attacking with his pace and energy.

Deery

Dreary
He didn’t do too badly for his first season in the premier league and the pressure of playing for a big club can only see him getting better next season.

Last edited:

KennyBurner

There's a ESPN vid in there too with Gab Marcotti and Julien Laurens discussing James. Marcotti doesn't rate him at all and thinks we play better without him against the bad teams. Marcotti seems to be suggesting that he needs space to run into to be effective which he doesn't get against teams who defend deep..
I think that’s what we’ve always argued on here in regards to him. He has no business starting against teams that intend to counterattack us. He doesn’t have the creativity to perform in that environment. Great pace and workrate but can’t dribble? Perfect player against teams that want to attack us.

sparx99

So Dan can’t do the same? He was playing in the Championship not so long ago.

For a first season he’s been pretty solid. If he has a good second season (hopefully playing second fiddle to Sancho) then he will have been a good acquisition.

He is not going to be the next Giggsy just because he’s a Welsh winger, but his pace and counter attacking instincts will make him a good option especially coming off the bench against tiring fullbacks
Yeah of course he could make better decisions etc I just think his poor technique is a limiting factor.

SAFMUTD

If he had regular pace he would still be playing for a championship team, besides his pace and heart he's bang average.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
My worry about Daniel James is Sancho. That they are both right footed, both slight better on the left but capable at playing on the right.

Sancho is already well more developed, looks up when he crosses and has the ability to shoot and cut in in comparison to the younger Daniel James that can still develop - but again my problem is that if Sancho comes that we have two right footed RW's slightly better on the left and Sancho absolutely trumps him. I'd honestly have a left footed back up player like the david brooks guy from Bournemouth to be our back up if Sancho comes to provide balance in our squad than just another LW.

Personally- if we get Sancho and Grealish then James's time is looking down by next January or summer already & the only thing that would keep him is significant progress or the fact that he is a player Ole took a gamble on at a low price.

However, if Rashford can play LW, Martial can play LW, Grealish can play LW, Sancho can play LW then James is way down the line in that.

On the RW - Sancho and Greenwood are better and then James again is too much of a traditional winger type player on the RW to be consistent and 'the player' we need. As I said, the welsh david brooks would have just kind of provided that balance of atleast 3 right footed attackers and at least 2 left footed ones in our squad.

Let's just see how he progresses.
James is not a starting player at Manchester United and Ole would have told him that.

What he is, is a Hernandez, O'Shea, Phil Neville, Nicky Butt, esq player.

There to support the squad and assist with rotation so bringing in Sancho wont affect him.

MikeeMike

Only my opinion but I thought he started so well. Then he started exaggerating when fouled for example Wolves, where he felt contact and then starfished . Love his commitment but for me he is always looking down at the ball and his final delivery suffers as a result.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Doesn't Sancho almost exclusively play on the right-hand side for Dortmund?
Before the season was suspended he'd spent the previous three months mostly playing on the left and his goals/assists were actually better there than they'd been on the right (which were already very good). The question is whether his stats improved because he was better on the left, or did they improve simply because he's continuing to mature and get better no matter which side he played on?

I haven't watched any of their games since the restart, but Transfermarkt has him playing in the centre in these last five games. That's quite interesting. Anybody watch the games and can say whether he's stayed centrally or has he strongly favoured one side?

Mr Smith

For me there's no downside to having him. Isn't expected and won't expect to play every game, but he's 21, full of pace and running, and actually isn't technically all that bad. Worst case scenario this is his ceiling, and he's used mostly as a sub to stretch the play. I honestly don't see a downside.

Tribec

Being "one for the future" I don't think we expected the impact he made when he arrived and much like other young players who burst upon the first team as soon as they plateau, fans and pundits start having a go at them questioning the abilities. It's how they respond that which says it all about a player for me. Just as we started to hit form as a team before the season paused, James was starting to come back into some form and showing signs again of being a very good player. Yes he's got room to improve, but he's young and so I'd expect him to do just that.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
James is not a starting player at Manchester United and Ole would have told him that.

What he is, is a Hernandez, O'Shea, Phil Neville, Nicky Butt, esq player.

There to support the squad and assist with rotation so bringing in Sancho wont affect him.
I'm curious about that whole area; how does a manager go about managing the expectations of a player at a big club who is in a bit of a grey area like James?

I doubt it would do the world of good to go up to a young player who's just signed for United and say 'listen lad, you'll be a bit-part player at best here, I'll start you here and there while we're shite but once I sign a half-decent winger you'll likely be a league cup player, or out on loan or something. Anyway here's your locker key, the bogs are that way...' I agree with you that some kind of conversation as to James' role in the squad will have been had but I just wonder how Ole will have gone about it. Ultimately he needs to be realistic while at the same time inspiring him to work his bollocks off to become the best player he can possibly be, while stressing that he's a young player with time to improve and impress. It seems a tough balancing act when it's clear he is not destined to be a superstar at United.

Last edited:

flappyjay

He didn’t do too badly for his first season in the premier league and the pressure of playing for a big club can only see him getting better next season.
A first season where we were mostly missing our chief playmaker, with Rashford and Martial also having long lay offs. He came into a bad situation and has done well enough in those circumstances.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
For me there's no downside to having him. Isn't expected and won't expect to play every game, but he's 21, full of pace and running, and actually isn't technically all that bad. Worst case scenario this is his ceiling, and he's used mostly as a sub to stretch the play. I honestly don't see a downside.
For Man Utd attacking player, yes he is that bad. Pace and work rate. That is everything (so far) what he offers and what is above average (in his case both of those stats are excellent). If that is Man Utd standard now then we deserve 5th place.

Season has 60 games in all competitions. So that argument about super sub doesn't stick anymore. Squad rotation players start a lot of games because of thight schedule.

SambaBoy

The expectation shouldn't be that he will be a future united starter who wins us games. He's already 22, and whilst a talented player he doesn't have massive potential. He can definitely have a future here but claims we shouldn't sign Sancho because we have James is madness.

iHicksy

I think a lot of people are doing two things in this thread. Forgetting that:
  1. He was brought into the club as a youngster with a view to developing him with limited playing time and mainly substitution appearances.
  2. He was actually our best or second best player in his first handful of games.
So he was never intended to come in and be a solution to our problems on the wing or indeed be a nailed on starter. He was brought in because he has the makings of a United player with potential and needs developing. The fact he is exceeded expectations when he first joined so became a starter for that period. His performances then dropped off, as would be expected from a player signed from the championship with his first season in an under performing premier league team. Ideally he would have been bedded in with a few sub appearances at the end of games when his pace could exploit a tiring defence and I have no doubts that when we have a more complete squad then this will be his role. His skills and game sense will be developed but he was clearly brought for his blistering pace to be used as an option since we don't currently posses anything like that. So please don't "worry about his playing time". It's not going to be an issue, he'll be well looked after and developed and he wasn't meant to be the answer to our right wing, nor will he be.

The fact is, he has the profile of the type of players we should be going after mentality wise. He's handled the step up to a huge club with huge expectations spectacularly well. I think a lot of people forget, just having the mental fortitude to play for United and handle the pressure is half the battle of making it here. If he can develop well then his mentality is exactly what is required for a squad player for this club.

James’ second full season as a first team squad player. He’s made a jump up from the championship, has been one of our best players in a number of games, especially early in the season - and some of you are wanting to throw him out with the dishwater?

his first 3-5 games has set the expectations To unrealistic levels.

if you could have outlined what he’s achieved at Utd at the start of the season, I for one would be more than happy with it.

young player, let him develop.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
James’ second full season as a first team squad player. He’s made a jump up from the championship, has been one of our best players in a number of games, especially early in the season - and some of you are wanting to throw him out with the dishwater?

his first 3-5 games has set the expectations To unrealistic levels.

if you could have outlined what he’s achieved at Utd at the start of the season, I for one would be more than happy with it.

young player, let him develop.
This is absolutely bang on. It's also worth noting his 'football age' is really young - he's barely played 50 first team matches. There are things you only learn from being out there and feeling where to stand, when to run and so forth. He will improve on that front.

And injury-free his pace should maintain for at least another 4-5 years, during which time as a full back you have to step back 2 yards - which creates options everywhere else.

I personally have been blown away by his contribution in a first season, coming up from the Championship. He's definitely had more minutes than either party would have expected when he started.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Daniel James looks like a godsend after having a non winger nor quick players being put in as a RW for years.
If Daniel James is not very good then Mata was absolute trash. But even Mata wasn't absolute trash, so Daniel James is not not very good.
He's okay, still have age on his side and at least has one standout ability : his pace. At worst He can be lethal in a counter attacking team. Unlike other shit 'wingers' We've had that did nothing all game.

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

Definitely hasn't covered himself in glory in the first half. That right hand side with him and AWB is not looking great. They both seem to lack in technical ability and decision making going forward.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Hes not good enough for this club - I dont care about his age.

Tel074

Saw alot of him at Swansea and thought we had got a steal but he looks way out of his depth alot of the time since he came to United . Looks like a sprinter and that's really about it

Name Changed

weso26
I don't think he is good enough personally and he never did. He is not the standard of player we should have playing if we want to stand any hope of challenging for trophies. An odd good goal or good game doesn't justify having him there. We should have someone far better.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He has played too much. You don't buy a player from the Championship to start every game.

Davìd Moyéz

Just think James must be wondering how the hell he is a first choice Manchester United starter. It's bizarre. Reasonable season for a poor championship side to starting for the biggest club in the world. Embarrassing reflection on our recruitment.

ReallyUSA

As someone who lost his father after graduating, I was a shell of myself for a long time. I couldn't imagine making a dream move only to lose your father. I will give him rhe benefit of the doubt this year. He did more than most expected also

Reactions: Fortitude

dove

As someone who lost his father after graduating, I was a shell of myself for a long time. I couldn't imagine making a dream move only to lose your father. I will give him rhe benefit of the doubt this year. He did more than most expected also
Really? What exactly did he do? Apart from fist 3 or so games he is completely useless.

ReallyUSA

Really? What exactly did he do? Apart from fist 3 or so games he is completely useless.
He's top 5 in assists. I didn't even think he was going to get more than 10 league games. And again, if you've lost your father, I am not expecting you to be at your best for football.

Judas

Open to offers
The way Ole uses him is baffling, he's not cut out yet for the role he's asked to do, and its the same practically every time. We'll see if he's good enough long term in the future, but I'm not writing him off yet.

Infra-red

This really shouldn't be an unpopular opinion any longer.

Pros: Fast runner, good attitude
Cons: Cannot pass, cross, dribble, create or score goals

M Bison

Supports
York City
He's not a bad player but he's the next scapegoat for the fans and in games like tonight, it feels a bit unfair. The goal we conceded was awful defensively and before we jump on James, we have other areas to sort out.