Unpopular opinion - Daniel James is not very good

Zoo

Too early to write him off. I’m willing to see where his game is at by the end of next season.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
It's hard to watch him. He just looks like a competition winner at times. There doesn't seem to be much, if any, technical ability with the ball most of the time.

mu4c_20le

Never understood the point of these threads when there are already performance threads.

Bobski

He needs more composure in his game, and patience. Plays like the only thing he trusts about his game is his speed, it is all rather one dimensional.

eire-red

Really bad tonight. Chong looked much brighter when he came on, granted he had a lot of space.

Looks like Dan James will need to really dig deep and prove his worth this season or we'll likely look to sell him.

King Andow

Starting to think that he's already at the Lingard and Pereira level of shitness. What a brutal game.

Dearg hÉireann

He's a speed merchant who's not very good at football, a little like Usain Bolt!

His technique is awful, as is his passing and his final ball takes the absolute biscuit.

He was a gamble that hasn't paid off and I don't think he ever will, even as a squad player he doesn't offer enough.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Think he'll be a fullback tbh, and I can see him being decent.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Confidence shot. Wouldn't throw him on the scrap heap yet but needs to find the spark again.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Had a couple of moments his pace got him where it wouldn't get others, but just totally did the wrong thing.

A little concerned as he seems to have dropped from his initial promise. But used correctly next season, who knows, he could still be valuable at times.

-Supreme-

No point keeping him next season as Ole didn't trust him when his first choice players came back since the restart, he needs to go out on loan to a PL club and I'm sure there will be plenty of clubs queueing up for his services.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’ll retain sell-on value for a while, at least.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
If you thought he'd been shown up by PL opposition and struggled to make impact in 10-15 minute cameos, tonight's poor display is further food for thought. Whether he's absolutely shot for confidence is a matter for Ole, but he doesn't look good enough.

gorky_utd

Probably a loan move is required. Should not be in the squad next season tbh.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
The drop off in our attacking players is insane. It doesn’t just drop off, it drops off a cliff. It’s a massive chasm.

People who were scoffing at a punt on Willian if Sancho doesn’t work out would do well to watch games like this.

None of the front four are even PL players, nevermind United ones.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
His pace is still valuable off the bench.
Nope. No quality in his game. No threat in the final third. His confidence is shot. He doesn’t shoot. He can’t pick a pass. He can’t cross for shit. On top of all this he dives a lot.

Infra-red

Might make an OK wingback for someone. That's about it. When he leaves I expect he'll have to drop down the leagues a bit.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Might make an OK wingback. That's about it.
He gets pushed of the ball easily. And Bissaka can cross the ball better than him. He is the best example of how far you can go in football with just pace and nothing more to your game.

Skills

Snitch
How? He doesn’t know how to use it.
Well neither does the rest of the team. Just use him to chase balls in behind when we've got a lead to defend. His pace should be valuable in keeping CBs honest and not pushing up too high.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I never get that pace will be good off the subs bench - you need dribbling abilities out wide to take a man on than just pace in these competitive environments.

Martial showed the difference today the need for dribbling abilities.

The reason James isn't suited for here is because he is another right footed winger who isnt excelling when we are just about to buy Sancho. Sell James and promote Chong because he is left footed to see how he develops to give us some balance on the wings.

In Rainbows

He was clearly a punt and he's absolutely miles from being good enough.
Sessegnon hasn't really impressed at Spurs, but he was the smarter punt. All we had to do was look at their respective ages and what they did at Championship level. I honestly found it strange that James was bought over Sessegnon.

Forget hindsight. It's about decision making based on evidence. It's clear which would provide more confidence in our transfer know how.

fps

I understand the “pace off the bench” argument in the championship. For the PL it should be “quality off the bench”. I like James but he has looked shellshocked for a fair bit of the season. That said, he seems an honest lad and I’m sure he’s more than aware he needs to develop his game, be that with a loan or whatever.

SAFMUTD

His pace is still valuable off the bench.
Against what? An open net? He couldnt have gotten any more space than what he got today.

For sure he wont get that kind of space in the premier league nor the UCL. He is just not good enough, sell him for cheap and buy another promising youngster. He's a failed bet no problem lets accept it and move on instead on wasting time with him.

Mcking

Pace and stamina, that is where it ends for this lad. That he played so many games is a disgrace.

El Zoido

He’s rubbish, feel for him to be honest. Seems like a nice lad. He’s not even staking a claim to be a backup, offers absolutely nothing at all. Not sure he’s even shown enough to be given more time.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
"Championship player" isn't insult in his case anymore, isn't it?
Horrible, horrible transfer. Fergie had awful risky transfers too (Bebe, Obertan, Manucho..) but he always admit it in first season. I hope that this with James will not drag next 3,4 years.
We should sell now.

We will not, of course. Because we need few season to realise that someone is not good enough.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
"Championship player" isn't insult in his case anymore, isn't it?
Horrible, horrible transfer. Fergie had awful risky transfers too (Bebe, Obertan, Manucho..) but he always admit it in first season. I hope that this with James will not drag next 3,4 years.
We should sell now.

We will not, of course. Because we need few season to realise that someone is not good enough.
He is nowhere near as bad as those three and his form at the start of the season suggests he has some role to play as a sub

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I seriously feel for him. Must be full of self doubt. He's out of his depth.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Doesn't look good for him, we know he'll struggle in tight spaces but today he had acres of space and still couldn't deliver. He's pretty average footballer in every way, don't know if he should be here next season. Loan him if possible.

AaronRedDevil

It's a shame how people are on about him. Jesus give him a chance and actually look at what's happening in the match. First time he couldn't cross it because lingard and Ighalo hid behind the defenders so he cant cross it anywhere. That was the whole game. Only chance he should have taken was the cross to ighalo when he was open earlier rather then wating for the defender to catch him and block the cross.