Unpopular Opinion: Pogba and Bruno Are Great Pair

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This match against City is a great example. Pogba and Bruno are very effective together, they feel each other well and also if opposition tries to man-mark one of them (Bruno right now) it opens up the other one. If Pogba was as dedicated and consistent as Bruno, we could have the most dangerous attacking midfield in EPL

treble_winner

This match against City is a great example. Pogba and Bruno are very effective together, they feel each other well and also if opposition tries to man-mark one of them (Bruno right now) it opens up the other one. If Pogba was as dedicated and consistent as Bruno, we could have the most dangerous attacking midfield in EPL
I salute you for voicing out a real “unpopular opinion”, way more than many threads with the same kind of name.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
50% + 175% = 225%

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They can pass it around with each other well but don't suit a team as a pair. Unless you get a peak Keane behind them or something. Pogba can't play the deeper role, Bruno is wasted deeper, and all the best systems have wingers or inside forwards around a central striker. So you're sacrificing width and one of the front 3 pacey attackers by starting them together, regardless of the players around them.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Only if you put Fred and Mctominay behind them.

That means you don't get to have 3 attackers.

Maybe it's a good thing.
They can pass it around with each other well but don't suit a team as a pair. Unless you get a peak Keane behind them or something. Pogba can't play the deeper role, Bruno is wasted deeper, and all the best systems have wingers or inside forwards around a central striker. So you're sacrificing width and one of the front 3 pacey attackers by starting them together, regardless of the players around them.
True. I think it can work well often with fluid attackers like Rashy+Greenwood, or Rashy+Cavani with attacking-minded AWB and Luke Shaw providing width. Very United style and super dangerous if everybody is their best

DRM

Sterling's hairstyle makes me want to puke

NinjaFletch

Given how crap Fernandes has been I'm not sure its the best evidence to suggest Pogba gets loads out of him.

Pogba's been alright himself, mind.

They can play well together but neither of them is reliable defensively, so it means you need a 4 man midfield. That's not practical for most games. It's working against City because they love to stay in the centre and keep possession, but Pep will tell them to get wider in the second half.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Under the right manager. Ole plays 4231 which won't fit both.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Pogba has to start putting in semi decent performance, he's got to put himself in the shop window

Dan_F

Given how crap Fernandes has been I'm not sure its the best evidence to suggest Pogba gets loads out of him.

Pogba's been alright himself, mind.
He’s been pretty much normal. Very loose passing but lots of work rate. This is his usual pattern, it’s just nothing has come off yet.

It’s always been more about Pogba not being a deep midfielder than those two not being able to play together.

TrustInOle

No slight on Pogba as he has played well, but Bruno makes a good pair with anyone technically gifted, see Mata also. So yeah, agree with OP.

Mcking

Our best two players definitely. A pity we couldn't sign a DM in the summer to play with them.

Think if we could get both on the pitch at same time regularly, we'd be a much better team.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Pogba is OK to good in this position on the left and with a license to go inside. Bruno is very good everywhere.
Not sure if I'd call them a "pair", seems like they are doing similar things but far away. How many passes they made to each other?

NinjaFletch

He’s been pretty much normal. Very loose passing but lots of work rate. This is his usual pattern, it’s just nothing has come off yet.

It’s always been more about Pogba not being a deep midfielder than those two not being able to play together.
I don't disagree, I just think it's flimsy evidence to suggest it's a pair that bring the best out of each other.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Great pair. At least save this sort of knee jerkery for when we've actually won a game. Not one we're 0-0 in.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
How many times did Pogba give the ball away in our own half tonight? Must have been easily in double figures. If you barely get away with it against the worst team in the league you probably aren't going to against anyone else.

You can maybe play them both and get a benefit in games where the oppositon sit off. Everything good Pogba does is when he's going towards the opposition goal.

I don't think you can play them both in any game where a majroity of what Pogba will need to do, doesn't involve attacking the other team's goal...and you definitely can't play both of them in any game where you decide Matic is a suitable player to cover the ground of 2 people in order to mop up for both of them.

Foxbatt

I think Ole needs to get them to play together but set the team up in a different way. I agree with Sherwood and Hargreaves that our attack is as potent as any. Our defence is not that bad as the worst but not the best but certainly among the best at least in the PL.
I think Ole should let lose the three striker and Pogba and Bruno and let the defence and one DM just defend only without doing too much attacking. Yes they need to push up when needed but no need for AWB and Telles to attack like a winger. That would keep the balance in defending and attacking and we would be more tight in defence too.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Depends how you look at it. Both are top level players but I don't see the synergy between them on the pitch personally.

el3mel

Probably in these kind of games only. Any other more competent and pressing team, the flaws will return to appear in this formula.

Icemav

How many times did Pogba give the ball away in our own half tonight? Must have been easily in double figures. If you barely get away with it against the worst team in the league you probably aren't going to against anyone else.

You can maybe play them both and get a benefit in games where the oppositon sit off. Everything good Pogba does is when he's going towards the opposition goal.

I don't think you can play them both in any game where a majroity of what Pogba will need to do, doesn't involve attacking the other team's goal...and you definitely can't play both of them in any game where you decide Matic is a suitable player to cover the ground of 2 people in order to mop up for both of them.
Despite his offensive contributions I fully agree that people shouldn't ignore the fact that he was very poor at times in the holding mid role in danger areas in our half. Nothing new of course as he gives the ball away incredibly cheaply as a habit.... an absolute no no for a holding mid.

passing-wind

Until it's seen on a consistent basis its a one off opinion no different to those that say that Rashford is as comfortable on the right wing as he is the left. When we come up against a well drilled team the outlook will be the same with criticism for Pogba because he's unable to influence a game. I do however think their lack of plausibility to play cohesively since the new season is largely down to Ole tinkering with everything on a game by game basis. The whole team needs consistency.

jackal&hyde

Depends how you look at it. Both are top level players but I don't see the synergy between them on the pitch personally.
I agree. They didn't play to much together though, by the end of the season it could be even better.

Bwuk

If we had a prime Carrick it’d be an outstanding midfield.

It really highlights the lack of a proper DM. Matic can be fine against some sides, but his legs are gone. Fred is a 8, and McTominay doesn’t have the passing range.

Someone like Fabinho would make this team go up several levels.

Matt851

I dont want to hear any pogba is great chat until he has played consistently well over a period of 10 games. We have seen him play well for so many one off games against poor opposition before only to be terrible the next game

Can imagine him getting targetted by leeds press if he starts against them

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
They can play well together but neither of them is reliable defensively, so it means you need a 4 man midfield. That's not practical for most games. It's working against City because they love to stay in the centre and keep possession, but Pep will tell them to get wider in the second half.
The problem with playing all 4 is that some of Bruno's best skills overlap with Pogba's and Scott overlaps with Fred, resulting in having a crowded midfield of 4 which does the work of 3.

We won't win much playing all 4.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Did I miss something or did we beat City?

Yes they are a great pair - against Sheffield United.

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
Pogba doesn't possess the ability to be a proper holding mid (not defensively disciplined). he is not a ball winning type of midfielder and he is not a bruno like creative midfielder. i wont make him in holding the midfield in big matches since he will be a liability defensively.

Longshanks

They need a top CDM behind them with pogba at 8 and bruno at 10, something we dont currently possess. If we can get hold of a top class CDM then we could potentially have a very good midfield three, however I dont think pogba will be with us next season.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Nah. Fernandes is good, and has tended to make those around him look good. Pogba is in decent form though.

flappyjay

Sheffield are horrible, the were points in the game last night when there was a huge hole in our midfield. You get past Matic and then there's nothing stopping you from getting to the defense.