Unpopular Opinion: Pogba and Bruno Are Great Pair

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
If we had a prime Carrick it’d be an outstanding midfield.

It really highlights the lack of a proper DM. Matic can be fine against some sides, but his legs are gone. Fred is a 8, and McTominay doesn’t have the passing range.

Someone like Fabinho would make this team go up several levels.
We´d definitely rather need Fletcher than Carrick. Carrick´s not a DM rather a DLP, while it could be useful to have another great passer from the back, you need more legs in that midfield to run for them and win the ball, cover the ground quickly. Carrick wouldn´t provide that. We ´d need someone like Fernandinho to e precise. Especially when you look at all the playmaking skills at CB and in both Pogba and Fernandes.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
They are as "great" as Matic-Bruno. Or Fred - Bruno. Maybe even van de Beek - Bruno.

You get my point.

I'm pretty sure any midfield setup would be enough for Sheffield United. Pogba is still good when on the ball and still a liability off the ball, and he guarantees a couple of give-aways in dangerous area per game. I'm not concerned about that against bottom 3 sides, but don't trust him in any serious - level game in midfield.

tomaldinho1

Edit to 'motivated' Pogba and Bruno are a good pair. There's no denying his ability, it's his concentration, attitude and application which is always up in the air.

Bwuk

We´d definitely rather need Fletcher than Carrick. Carrick´s not a DM rather a DLP, while it could be useful to have another great passer from the back, you need more legs in that midfield to run for them and win the ball, cover the ground quickly. Carrick wouldn´t provide that. We ´d need someone like Fernandinho to e precise. Especially when you look at all the playmaking skills at CB and in both Pogba and Fernandes.
Course he was a DM. He played at #6 for us.

Fletcher was more akin to Fred.

CG1010

This was a very popular opinion 1 month into resumption of football last season. So much so that when I suggested it may be defensively suspect, I was shouted down. But as Pogba's form faltered, the opposite myth that Bruno and Pogba can't play together took hold. Reality is Pogba is a hot and cold player and on his day he can usually play effectively with anyone. Until he gains consistency, he can't really form any partnership with anyone though.

He'sRaldo

2nd goal: Bruno pre-assist, Pogba assist, Martial goal.

3rd goal: Pogba pre-assist, Bruno assist (Martial's shite touch notwithstanding), Rashford goal.

Great stuff.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Would kill for a Makélélé regen behind. Shame Pogba will be off next season. The lack of balance has always been due to not having a quality 6.

Who have we had to play there? A past-it Matic, Fellaini, Fred, McTominay and Herrera.

Foxbatt

I feel that we need to make sure it works. That is get someone like Fred to sit in front of the back 4 and for our full backs not to attack too much but to let the three forwards and `Bruno and Pogba to the attacking and the creativity in most games.
We do not need to beat the top 5 or 6 sides. We need to make sure that we do not lose to them and then beat everyone else. We have the capacity to beat the rest if we get it right.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Horses for courses. As Noodle said he gave the ball away quite a few times last night and that is not an uncommon situation. In fact, its part of the package.

We'll have games where his offensive contributions outweigh that = Pogba is world class. We'll have games where his defensive lapses cost the team = Pogba is useless.

He's gone anyway. The future is not Pogba shaped. Lets use him where we can this season and get the price possible at the end of it.

Gabagoo

Horses for courses. As Noodle said he gave the ball away quite a few times last night and that is not an uncommon situation. In fact, its part of the package.

We'll have games where his offensive contributions outweigh that = Pogba is world class. We'll have games where his defensive lapses cost the team = Pogba is useless.

He's gone anyway. The future is not Pogba shaped. Lets use him where we can this season and get the price possible at the end of it.
Unfortunately, I agree. What would you do with the money?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Unfortunately, I agree. What would you do with the money?
Still feel like this squad needs a few players to really complete this squad. RW, ST, RB, CB and another midfielder to replace him. No way we can get all of that in one summer, but as long as we keep making good signings then its only going to help us.

Trequarista10

I really don't understand why, at least in some games, we don't play Bruno deeper next to Pogba with a DM behind, instead of Bruno playing as a high up number 10. Bruno is more than capable of playing deeper and sharies responsibilities for defence, possession, and shape.

I know Ole is seemingly set on the 4231/4213 or whatever you want to call it, and there are some advantages of course but downsides too. Even if this were to remain Ole's preferred formation, at least using the 4123/4141 on occassion seems a no brainer, whether for certain games or even just for certain periods during games. It would allow us to control games more, it would offer greater protection, it would relieve our wide forwards of some defensive responsibility, and it would see Pogba getting into more advanced positions. The gung-ho, direct approach with 4 players almost permenantly in advanced, central positions can be destructive at times but it has drawbacks, and it seems to be no coincidence that almost all other top teams don't play with a number 10 at the moment.

Gabagoo

Still feel like this squad needs a few players to really complete this squad. RW, ST, RB, CB and another midfielder to replace him. No way we can get all of that in one summer, but as long as we keep making good signings then its only going to help us.
What's a good summer, given those five positions to fill? How long should it take for us to get them all?

For me, I agree with you on those positions and I think that with the motivation and planning to do so, we could feasibly buy a RW, RB and CM in the coming summer and a CB and ST in the next one.

Foxbatt

I really don't understand why, at least in some games, we don't play Bruno deeper next to Pogba with a DM behind, instead of Bruno playing as a high up number 10. Bruno is more than capable of playing deeper and sharies responsibilities for defence, possession, and shape.

I know Ole is seemingly set on the 4231/4213 or whatever you want to call it, and there are some advantages of course but downsides too. Even if this were to remain Ole's preferred formation, at least using the 4123/4141 on occassion seems a no brainer, whether for certain games or even just for certain periods during games. It would allow us to control games more, it would offer greater protection, it would relieve our wide forwards of some defensive responsibility, and it would see Pogba getting into more advanced positions. The gung-ho, direct approach with 4 players almost permenantly in advanced, central positions can be destructive at times but it has drawbacks, and it seems to be no coincidence that almost all other top teams don't play with a number 10 at the moment.
I think it is not the issue. I feel our attack is good enough to go against any defence. I feel we get undone because our defenders and DM is trying to attack too much. Let Bruno and Pogba sit in the centre and create and let our three forwards go against the opposing defence. If we do not let AWB and Telles/Shaw attack too much and let them concentrate on defence primarily the forwards alone can create havoc against any team.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
What's a good summer, given those five positions to fill? How long should it take for us to get them all?

For me, I agree with you on those positions and I think that with the motivation and planning to do so, we could feasibly buy a RW, RB and CM in the coming summer and a CB and ST in the next one.
ST and CB are the key positions for me. The priority. Depends which players are available at the right price though

Trequarista10

I think it is not the issue. I feel our attack is good enough to go against any defence. I feel we get undone because our defenders and DM is trying to attack too much. Let Bruno and Pogba sit in the centre and create and let our three forwards go against the opposing defence. If we do not let AWB and Telles/Shaw attack too much and let them concentrate on defence primarily the forwards alone can create havoc against any team.
Our full backs barely do any attacking, they are the most conservative full backs of any top side around at the moment. This means it's easy for teams to sit deep and compact the defence ("park the bus") against us, as we have no attacking width, especially as our wide forwards all want to come inside and rarely if ever look to go outside full backs.

Bruno also doesn't "sit" in the centre, he's currently playing as a slightly withdrawn attacker. My suggestion would be to play him deeper, as an actual midfielder, so your statement would seem to be in favour of my suggestion, which makes your response somewhat confusing. Also our DM has to play higher up, because Bruno plays higher up, leaving a huge space. Again, my suggestion of playing a 4141/4123 would allow the DM to sit deep, even dropping back into defence, whilst Bruno and Pogba dictate in the middle, allowing our front three to push up.

Gabagoo

ST and CB are the key positions for me. The priority. Depends which players are available at the right price though
I'd definitely argue RW tops them all for priority, seeing as none of our options look natural or in some cases even comfortable there.

Who would you get for ST?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'd definitely argue RW tops them all for priority, seeing as none of our options look natural or in some cases even comfortable there.

Who would you get for ST?
I would have said RW too but I have this weird based-on-nothing-but-gut belief that Diallo is going to be a megastar.

For ST we cant look beyond Haaland until he goes elsewhere.

thepolice123

Tbf we do have a shape like that at various phases of the play. Martial's goal was a good example of this. Bruno receives the ball on the right-ish CM position and gives it to Pogba who comes into the center and hits the through ball.

We defend deep with a 2 banks of 4 using Pogba beside McT/Fred/Matic. I think its needed because none of them of them are good enough to play the single pivot DM role.

Gabagoo

I would have said RW too but I have this weird based-on-nothing-but-gut belief that Diallo is going to be a megastar.

For ST we cant look beyond Haaland until he goes elsewhere.
We need to make sure we get one of Haaland or Mbappe. I have a feeling one of them will end up at Citeh or Liverpool.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Course he was a DM. He played at #6 for us.

Fletcher was more akin to Fred.
Except he wasn't a true DM, same with Matic who can't defend to save his life, he's just big and stuck in his leg sometimes but he covers the ground so slow and can't track runners. Carrick was better at closing spaces but he always needed someone to do the running for him and more defensive role, or a 5 men midfield with a solid defence.

But yes he played a No6 as a deep laying playmaker, that's a difference between a CDM. We don't need someone super creative because Bruno and Pogba are world class but with the ability to cover for them quickly, someone who can mop around the defense and midfield. Fred's not a bad player for that but we are yet to see Ole trusting that set up.

You don't need a true DM though, just need the right skillset . lots of legs and defensive awareness. Carrick would help us roll over teams that'd sit deep but wouldn't make more solid off the ball if we deployed Pogba and Fernandes at the same time in that midfield.

HowYouDoin

How many times have we played Fred-Pogba-Bruno together?
I do remember it against Sevilla and honestly despite that we lost it was one of our best games.
Ole just failed to adjust properly once Matic's legs gave out. Maybe he should have stuck with Fred-Pogba-Bruno.

AFC NimbleThumb

When you’ve the luxury of being able to name a starting 11 with Fernandes & Pogba in it is incumbent on the manager to get the best from them which is what OgS is currently doing to an extent with both having room for better imo.

Glorio

Suited todays opponents to a tee and some credit has to go to Ole for that

lost7

Originally, no.
Lately, yes, and I believe that it’s because they’ve both decided to work together, not individually
Actually, they were really good together after the first lockdown last season. It's myth that they can't play together...

Achilles McCool

Actually, they were really good together after the first lockdown last season. It's myth that they can't play together...
I agree that it’s a myth that they CAN’T play together, but sometimes it felt as if they didn’t want to play together (if that makes sense?) hence why I said it seemed they were 2 individuals instead of a pair in the past.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The headline is not unpopular.
Luckily for us - not anymore, but for quite a while a lot of people believed they couldn't play well together. Fortunately for us the two have started playing very well in partnership and it has given us huge strength. Personally, I love watching them wreck havoc on the opposition.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I want to see them play together when both are playing well. Pogba is now doing well but Bruno is not really as good as usual

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I want to see them play together when both are playing well. Pogba is now doing well but Bruno is not really as good as usual
He may not be his absolute best in every game (nobody can) but I think Bruno is actually still very good. He was good against Burnley. Keep in mind, what may be the difference however - when he was the only great player in the middle, you couldn't help notice him. Right now we are seeing other players being very good as well, so that may be taking the spotlight away from Bruno, but for the team - that is an excellent news.

SecondFig

Yeah, Bruno looks like he needs a bit of a rest. Maybe a rest vs Fulham and Sheffield Utd (with just those two relaxed strolls against Liverpool in between...)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ole is not going to play them all the time in my opinion because he clearly values rotation.

In my opinion, Pogba is playing so well because of energy and almost because it's a bit easier for him now.

Consider Bruno's & Rashfords performances now who isn't being rotated- may have class numbers but their performances have gone down hill because they dont have anyone to really rotate with.

The first thing Ole said when he came here was that he wants a team full of high energy players and he rotates his team and tactics like I have hardly seen before by other managers.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I hate to spoil the party but people are getting carried away after a win against 16th premier league team, which has 16 points from 16 games.

It was the right choice to go with Pogba Matic against Burnley but this would still be a mistake to setup like this against most teams.

I would rather rotate Bruno with Pogba to keep both fresh. Right now Paul seems to be in good form, but Bruno might need more rest.

And that is probably more unpopular opinion than the OP.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They unlock space for each other. Massive potential here

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
There are pros and cons for this partnership in my opinion. With this pairing, Bruno has a more free role while Pogba mostly stays in the middle of the park. Bruno being everywhere is nice as he is an intelligent player but I would prefer him to be in the middle as he can dictate the general play more.