Unpopular opinion: Ronaldo will be a huge miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
More "EPL" Kool-Aid here of the type I was just ranting about in the Lingard topic.

Echoing an earlier post: anyone that seriously thinks Ronaldo is going to struggle to score more than 10 goals from open play in the big bad Premier League this season is in for a very pleasant surprise.
My guess is 11 to 14 goals in open play. I'll remember this thread in May 2022.

Huge miss is an exaggeration, if he scored 20 league goals, Bruno scores 15, Greenwood scores 15, Rashford gets 10, Pogba 6-8, Cavani 10, Sancho 10, and everyone else chips in the usual amount that they do then we’d probably end up top scorers in the league.

In practice because of how Ronaldo’s game has involved, very different to the Ronaldo of 08/09 with Tevez, Rooney and Berbatov it is a POSSIBILITY that getting him to score might mean a reduction in goals from one or more others, but only time will tell.

My concern is relying on him in the big matches, it will be a strength if we expect him to get marked out the game and allow and expect our other attackers to take advantage. It will be a weakness if in big games we expect him to be the goal scorer

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think he'll score 8 headers alone. Does a header from a corner count as open play?

UnitedWA

I think he'll score 8 headers alone. Does a header from a corner count as open play?
We should've been headers giants all these seasons post-Ferguson, but we failed. Is it bad crossing and bad corner/free kicks taking or our tall players were bad?

TwoSheds

We should've been headers giants all these seasons post-Ferguson, but we failed. Is it bad crossing and bad corner/free kicks taking or our tall players were bad?
None of our tall players can head the ball. Maguire is OK but that's it. Pogba, McTominay, Matic, all useless at attacking corners and rarely get in the box during open play. Lindelof is weirdly not that terrible at attacking headers considering how poor he is for a CB at defensive ones but that's it really. I think Shaw and Bruno generally take decent if not particularly inspired corners.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Talking of remembering things.... about 17 years and 11 months ago my wife (now ex-wife) had a weeks holiday touring Scotland, I have a picture of her 8 months pregnant just after we had watched a Utd. match in Pub - it was Ronaldo's first game - she's a big Utd. fan.

In a couple of weeks time I intend to have a pint with my lad when he turns 18 - possibly, if we can sort it, in a pub with Ronaldo turning out for Utd. again. It would be fun if we can arrange it, but as I think about it more and more..... well it can't work - it just can't work. And if it does, it will have to rate right up there in terms of sporting success like Ali winning the title at 32 and one or two other magical things that really defy all sporting logic.

Can't wait to see what happens though.

Will Singh

I’m willing to bet that what he can do will outweigh the cant’s. On top of that he will demand more from the team and just he’s presence will give our team an extra boost and hopefully the players giving it an extra 10%.

Denis79

Just the experience and winning mentality he brings is already a win for us. The goals are just a bonus.

TwoSheds

It absolutely does.

Gotta love that lad's confidence. "I'll remember this thread in May 2022" after predicting Cristiano Ronaldo will score fewer open play goals than Patrick Bamford managed last season!
:lol:

Rojofiam

There are a lot of comments on here that will look absolutely embarrassing in May 2022

wolvored

I think what you will find is more teams, including City and Liverpool wont be so keen on bombing everyone forward, as Ronaldo will hold an high line and wont be in our box when defending. This will limit the space for the counter and might result in a few more 0-0 scorelines.
I do think he will get us 20 Premier goals though, when we dominate the possession against 'lesser' teams.

Rolledo

Not signing Ronaldo would've been the easy out for Ole. I doubt Moyes or Van Gaal would've signed him (at this stage of his career). Mourinho maybe. Knowing the attention and potential blowback if he does indeed turn out ot be a big miss. Which speaks to Oles credit for me. He doesnt shy away from narratives like this and the pressure that comes with it.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Defensively man Utd have too many passengers in their team. Pogba,Bruno ronaldo,sancho and greenwood with luke Shaw joined attack you have to outscore opponents in almost all matches.

How ole will manage to make them defensively solid outfit will be very interesting.Except Luke Shaw who can support defence other five include martial then thats six not that hard working players despite they are very good in attack.

So I am sceptical about Ronaldo come back. Will see.

Baneofthegame

Defensively man Utd have too many passengers in their team. Pogba,Bruno ronaldo,sancho and greenwood with luke Shaw joined attack you have to outscore opponents in almost all matches.

How ole will manage to make them defensively solid outfit will be very interesting.Except Luke Shaw who can support defence other five include martial then thats six not that hard working players despite they are very good in attack.

Weird take considering we had the 4th best defensive record in the league last season and added Varane.

More worried about the midfield personally.

Dr. StrangeHate

He might well be a miss and I don't even like Ronaldo but this thread is possibly the worst thread on the CAF (after the Ronaldo Vs Messi s***show). A ball hasn't even been kicked yet. OP is like the guy from GOT who cut the other guy's hot dog off after tricking him with foreplay.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Weird take considering we had the 4th best defensive record in the league last season and added Varane.

More worried about the midfield personally.
I don't know mate but your team gave up too many chances away and blaming your defenders and goal keeper for failing to contain opponents. Yes you had fourth best defensive record but that not tells you whole story.

You got very good defence already but having too many non hard working players in other side of the pitch. So why you some times struggled to contain opponents in my opinion.

Just look at wolves game as sample they should have scored minimum 2 goals and adding half chances then they would be out of sight despite you won the game and kept clean sheet. That's not sustainable in my humble opinion.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't know mate but your team gave up too many chances away and blaming your defenders and goal keeper for failing to contain opponents. Yes you had fourth best defensive record but that not tells you whole story.

You got very good defence already but having too many non hard working players in other side of the pitch. So why you some times struggled to contain opponents in my opinion.

Just look at wolves game as sample they should have scored minimum 2 goals and adding half chances then they would be out of sight despite you won the game and kept clean sheet. That's not sustainable in my humble opinion.
Nothing United hasn't done literally hundreds of times before in the Premier League.

Midfield, clearly, is an issue. Nobody is pretending it isn't. However, we're well practiced at riding our luck and sneaking a goal in Fergie time. Especially with Ronaldo.

The league won't be won against the top teams. It will be won against the type of teams we lost to six times last season and drew 11 times with.

PS) Wolves is actually a good team. Unlucky to start against Leicester, Spurs and ourselves, who will all be fighting for Champions League spots. Though I fancy us to get there far more comfortably than Leicester or Spurs. With an easier start Wolves would well be on 7 to 9 points already. United won't face much tougher opposition outside the big teams than Wolves and we still got the job done.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Nothing United hasn't done literally hundreds of times before in the Premier League.

Midfield, clearly, is an issue. Nobody is pretending it isn't. However, we're well practiced at riding our luck and sneaking a goal in Fergie time. Especially with Ronaldo.

The league won't be won against the top teams. It will be won against the type of teams we lost to six times last season and drew 11 times with.

PS) Wolves is actually a good team. Unlucky to start against Leicester, Spurs and ourselves, who will all be fighting for Champions League spots. Though I fancy us to get there far more comfortably than Leicester or Spurs. With an easier start Wolves would well be on 7 to 9 points already. United won't face much tougher opposition outside the big teams than Wolves and we still got the job done.
That's what I said. Under fergie there was not an issue of half balanced teams. Players all over the pitch worked hard except may be Ronaldo,berbatov and rvn in various times.

From Rooney jisung to Valencia young to scholes Keane giggs they are hard workers for betterment of team. Not like now.

Wolves may be good team and you ride your luck but it's not sustainable with too many passengers in my opinion.

You can hide one passenger defensively and create defensively solid team like fergie did but not half a team of passengers.We will see.

Utd77

He is too good a player to be a miss, his ego, his standards, his quality, just won't allow it, he has easily 20+ goals in him just now, even in the ultra competitive premier league.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading

If you watch Bruno and come to the conclusion that he is a passenger on defence then I don't think Football is the sport for you.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm not sure about being a 'miss' but I don't think he'll be a huge success.

His manager will mean Man Utd won't win CL/PL during this spell.

Joseunited

I always thought the idea of football was to outscore the opponent.

gerdm07

It absolutely does.

Gotta love that lad's confidence. "I'll remember this thread in May 2022" after predicting Cristiano Ronaldo will score fewer open play goals than Patrick Bamford managed last season!
I'm just trying to be realistic.

Most PL goals as a 34-year-old – Teddy Sheringham and Glenn Murray (16)
Most PL goals as a 35-year-old – Zlatan Ibrahimovic (13)
Most PL goals as a 36-year-old – Gianfranco Zola (14)
Most PL goals as a 37-year-old – Teddy Sheringham (10)
Most PL goals as a 38-year-old – Graham Alexander (6)

lex talionis

Ronaldo is no ordinary decent footballer. That he will make a substantial positive contribution to United on the pitch, absent serious injury, is not in serious doubt.

Hughie77

Having watched his Interview with Wes, Ronaldo is more or less leading that, and letting us as Fans hes ready not here for a vacation or a easy time. Hes no ordinary 36 yr old player. He may well not do as good as many expect, for me I think he will get us important goals, and hopefully it's to win us points or ties.

juggernaut1986

This data doesn't tell you anything. Ibra scored 17 goals in 28 games in his first season here. However, you are counting only the goals he scored after turning 35. If Ronaldo scores 13 goals before turning 37 and 9 afterwards then he won't break these records but still have a successful season.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
None of our tall players can head the ball. Maguire is OK but that's it. Pogba, McTominay, Matic, all useless at attacking corners and rarely get in the box during open play. Lindelof is weirdly not that terrible at attacking headers considering how poor he is for a CB at defensive ones but that's it really. I think Shaw and Bruno generally take decent if not particularly inspired corners.
Adding Ronaldo and maybe even more so Varane should make us a much improved threat at corners, I would also expect Maguire to be doing a lot better (assuming good deliveries)

United in sin

Not signing Ronaldo would've been the easy out for Ole. I doubt Moyes or Van Gaal would've signed him (at this stage of his career). Mourinho maybe. Knowing the attention and potential blowback if he does indeed turn out ot be a big miss. Which speaks to Oles credit for me. He doesnt shy away from narratives like this and the pressure that comes with it.
I think they all would've signed him without question and I doubt any top manager in the world wouldn't entertain the idea even at this stage of his career

Ibrahimovic scored 15 goals from open play the season he was 35.

Ronaldo is a much better player than Ibrahimovic (a lot of comments in this thread make me genuinely wonder if we're all talking about the same player here, literally one of the two best ever to play the game), probably in even better condition at the age of 36, coming into a better team, and you're saying he'll struggle to score more than 10?

Mind-boggling to me, especially when it's prefaced with stuff like "in a much better and tougher league". He's playing against Newcastle tomorrow, and they finished ahead of 8 other teams in this super-tough league last season, so let's not pretend he's making the jump from semi-pro football here.

gerdm07

Ibrahimovic scored 15 goals from open play the season he was 35.

Ronaldo is a much better player than Ibrahimovic (a lot of comments in this thread make me genuinely wonder if we're all talking about the same player here, literally one of the two best ever to play the game), probably in even better condition at the age of 36, coming into a better team, and you're saying he'll struggle to score more than 10?

Mind-boggling to me, especially when it's prefaced with stuff like "in a much better and tougher league". He's playing against Newcastle tomorrow, and they finished ahead of 8 other teams in this super-tough league last season, so let's not pretend he's making the jump from semi-pro football here.
I guess that means he will score a hat trick tomorrow. I hope he does!

I'm not sure the 36 year old Ronaldo is better than the 36 year old Ibra. Ronaldo prime was definitely better than Ibra prime. Ibra was in phenomenal shape at 36.

Like, I'm genuinely struggling to see what you're basing it on that 36-year-old Ronaldo is not better than 35*-year-old Zlatan.

Without even getting into anything else, Ronaldo scored more Serie A goals last season at 36 (and also the season before, at 35) than Ibrahimovic ever did in a single season in the same league. The only time Ibrahimovic matched that level was in France, in a league that actually deserves to be treated as a tier below the top.

*36-year-old Ibrahmovic was after that big injury that he probably rushed back too early from. Looked a shadow of the player until he left for the MLS.

DSG

The number of absolute crap takes in this thread is appalling. Whether he does well or not, we are talking about a player who has a strong argument to be considered as the greatest player of all time. International goals record, competitive match goals record…

Have some respect, people.

Status
Not open for further replies.