Unpopular opinion: Ronaldo will be a huge miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajma

1. His wages will stretch the frontier which agents will be able to explore when dealing with us over contract extensions in the future (we have seen this in the past already with Sanchez, Pogba, DDG). See Barca.

2. Non-existent defensive contributions will impact our shape and will put an immense pressure on our midfielders. Everyone could see the difference between Cavani and Martial last season and how it impacts our ability to press effectively from the front.

3. He can’t play with his back at all and do the hold-up as he only operates well in spaces since he’s not your classic #9.

4. In case he’ll be performing poorly Ole will shy away to change him due to his status and ego in order not to upset him, which will hinder our team.

I personally feel he’ll end up being a costly mistake for us (taking away the balance that Cavani brings) and Ole (will ultimately lose the job as a result) when you don’t look through the euphoria lenses. I may be underestimating Ronaldo greatly here but this is my feeling with respect to this transfer, having watched him play these last few seasons where he struggled to influence the games when he’s not scoring penalties or poaching goals are not on.

Can we do a poll on this?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It'll sound weird but I'm not actually that fussed over how good he is.

I just can't wait to see the guy play for us again.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
What’s funny is if he scored that penalty he would be the greatest international of all time.

You’d think people have watched enough football to not make awful posts like this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some of our "fans" are so tiresome it's just not worth it.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Depends what you’re expecting. 50 goals and winning matches on his own, yes, he’ll be a miss. 20 goals and taking the team to a higher level of collective performance…yeah I reckon he can do that

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
You've only just came to this conclusion? He signed for us days ago.

EtH

I think the truth is somewhere in between the OP ‘s wholly pessimistic take and the going narrative that he makes us instant title contenders. No way he makes us a worse team. That’s just silly. But I am not sure he improves us as much as most expect. I hope I am underestimating him.

Fooza

congratulations on making a thread that'll be bumped all season when ronaldo scores.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yup, you're right. It is an unpopular opinion.

Josh 76

1. His wages will stretch the frontier which agents will be able to explore when dealing with us over contract extensions in the future (we have seen this in the past already with Sanchez, Pogba, DDG). See Barca.

2. Non-existent defensive contributions will impact our shape and will put an immense pressure on our midfielders. Everyone could see the difference between Cavani and Martial last season and how it impacts our ability to press effectively from the front.

3. He can’t play with his back at all and do the hold-up as he only operates well in spaces since he’s not your classic #9.

4. In case he’ll be performing poorly Ole will shy away to change him due to his status and ego in order not to upset him, which will hinder our team.

I personally feel he’ll end up being a costly mistake for us (taking away the balance that Cavani brings) and Ole (will ultimately lose the job as a result) when you don’t look through the euphoria lenses. I may be underestimating Ronaldo greatly here but this is my feeling with respect to this transfer, having watched him play these last few seasons where he struggled to influence the games when he’s not scoring penalties or poaching goals are not on.

Can we do a poll on this?
Agree.
I was posting a lot of similar stuff about Ronaldo when he was on the verge of signing for City.

Wing Attack Plan R

Yes, of course. Ronaldo will have completely forgotten how to play football since he left Italy. There is a magical forcefield surrounding the UK that once a player is inside, they are struck with amnesia. Ronaldo will have forgotten how to pass, shoot, everything. He will be a total miss. We will be begging for the return of Dan James.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
He gives us more attacking threat. This is it. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe he can magic a moment in a game and win tight games like the Soton. If he just turns 5 would be draws into wins that's 10 extra points and he'd have been worth it IMO.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
People who hold unpopular opinions always think they're insightful & interesting.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Maybe. I'm still excited to see him here again, though. Sometimes it's not all about winning. Seeing Ronaldo, after a decade +, back in red, back at the theatre of dreams, is going to be special regardless of his performances. These memories will last a lifetime.

Gopher Brown

He’s very good at defending corners. I’m sure his pressing at the top end of the pitch will be to an acceptable level. He was playing on the wing last time he was here so I’m not concerned about his defensive contribution if he’s playing up front

Highfather_24

Depends what you’re expecting. 50 goals and winning matches on his own, yes, he’ll be a miss. 20 goals and taking the team to a higher level of collective performance…yeah I reckon he can do that
20 goals in all comps is low for a CF.

Oranges038

He's been shite tonight, hasn't got a kick.

But this is a bit premature. It's like blowing your load in your pants and saying the sex probably would have been disappointing anyway.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
20 goals in all comps is low for a CF.
Not necessarily. If he setting people up or if the entire forward line is scoring well then it’s fine. Out of context 20 goals might seem low but you have to look at the bigger picture to see if the entire team is doing well.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

But this is a bit premature. It's like blowing your load in your pants and saying the sex probably would have been disappointing anyway.
Portugal under Santos are fecking dreadful. Nobody looks good in this current team.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
The team are buzzing to have him on board.
He’s still ridiculously fit and has adapted his game as he’s aged.
He knows where the net is.
The younger players will learn so much from him.
I don’t see a single negative in this signing.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think we already had Cavani who already offered exactly what we will want from Ronaldo. It’s a mixture of sentimentality and marketing opportunism. I don’t think he’s physical or hardworking enough to trouble the better PL defenders. I also don’t think we are creative enough to make pure chances for him over and over. He’s probably going to cancel Bruno out somewhat. We are a scrappy team and I feel like we needed more fighters instead of technical players or world class players on the way down. i hope I’m wrong.

He scores. He was shite tonight though.

spiriticon

God, some of you are such wet towels it's not even funny.

Yes, we know he's 36 and far from his prime. No, we do not expect him to score 50 goals a season like he did at Madrid. Be lucky if he manages 30.

Just enjoy the ride and see where it goes ffs.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

So did Bruno. We know he’s not shite. It’s actually quite relieving to see our players play worse at international level (think Pogba becoming god for France)

spiriticon

SSSSSIIIIIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU motherfeckers

Pronewbie

Peep
Portugal have been mostly dreadful in the Euros and are continuing their poor form aren't they. Yet he comes clutch for his country again despite the disjointed attack. ;)

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Oh yes, fecking get in lad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He’s fecking shit ain’t he?

Status
Not open for further replies.