Unpopular opinion: Ronaldo will be a huge miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah, apart from scoring those 2 goals, that striker contributed feck all.:houllier:
And thats only applies to Ronaldo. Sometimes I do feel so sorry for them (the haters), as they no longer have the logical reasoning and the ability to think as a normal person.

Even when Ronaldo was unquestionably motm, with 8.67 rating (whoscored), and scored 2 crucial goals and win the game for us, their mind could only be filled up with nonsense like this, and they could only convinced themselves that he has did nothing apart from the goals. You've got to feel sorry for them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So salty :lol:

Its going to be long season for you, better learn how to deal with all of this :wenger:
Just let him be.

Bolivia and cannes will get smashed by Messi and we will get told how amazing he is just the way Memphis is looking at Barcelona when beating the same teams within the same team. :drool:

Eddy_JukeZ

Even as a Messi fan, the constant comparisons to Messi are getting nauseating to read.

When Ronaldo easily bags 30 goals this season, some people will still find a way to criticize him.

Mickson

Jesus. Apart from the link up play, and the work rate, and oh yeah the two goals to win the game, what exactly did he do??

I suggest a lie down fella.
We didn't talk about his goals now. We talked about his general play. And it was nothing impressive with his general play. Yeah, he dropped deep a few times and made a short pass back to the midfielder, a completely unnecessary pass by the way. He didn't link up particularly well at all and had fewer key passes than Matic. Apart from his two goals, the performance was nothing special. I didn't know there were so many Ronaldo fanboys here, completely rabid when someone is criticizing Ronaldo that they don't even read the posts.

Eddy_JukeZ

We didn't talk about his goals now. We talked about his general play. And it was nothing impressive with his general play. Yeah, he dropped deep a few times and made a short pass back to the midfielder, a completely unnecessary pass by the way. He didn't link up particularly well at all and had fewer key passes than Matic. Apart from his two goals, the performance was nothing special. I didn't know there were so many Ronaldo fanboys here, completely rabid when someone is criticizing Ronaldo that they don't even read the posts.
Yeah, but you're being contrarian.

No one said he had the best game of his career or anything like that. He started off slow, grew into the game and scored 2 goals.

What more do you want? Him to go past 4-5 players and then do nothing at the end? He did his job for the game and can only get better with more games under his belt with his teammates/coaching staff.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Apart from his two goals his performance was nothing special :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That bit got me. :lol::lol:

You are hilarious.

Robbie Boy

It's staggering that some of our own fans are upset that other fans are getting swept up in the Ronaldo hysteria, and are giddy that he scored two on his second debut. If you can't find joy in that, then maybe supporting a football team isn't really for you...

RkkMan

There's a difference between being critical and flat out condescending. Why on God should he have more key passes than Matic when Ronaldo plays closer to the box and Matic is actually the one in Midfield supposed to be pulling the strings? His link up play considering it's his first game playing with a completely new team with new players was very impressive(and despite it not fitting your supposed standards he still scored a brace) It'll only get better when he develops more chemistry with the players. I'm convinced you're simply looking for the microscopically smallest of things to bash Ronaldo for because of some personal vendetta over God knows what, a supposed "Manchester United Fan"

kthanksbye

Someone here told me that he's going to disrupt the way Ole likes his team to play and he should adjust to Ole's tactics. Also that he should be benched till he does that. Sometimes you don't even have to go to RAWK for hilarious comments.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
:lol::houllier: This place is wild sometimes

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
Criticising that performance is a very naive stance to take. You’re essentially saying a striker doesn’t have a good game unless he scores a few, creates tonnes of chances, goes on a load of successful dribbles... it’s just unrealistic to expect that. It barely ever happens.

You also have to consider that even if he doesn’t assist a goal directly, his presence allows more space for the other guys to work in.

He’s a finisher, he’s been brought in to score goals and open up space for the rest of the attacking players, which is exactly what he did.

Great movement, clinical finishing, excellent pace and touch for the second goal, what more do you want?

Mickson

There's a difference between being critical and flat out condescending. Why on God should he have more key passes than Matic when Ronaldo plays closer to the box and Matic is actually the one in Midfield supposed to be pulling the strings? His link up play considering it's his first game playing with a completely new team with new players was very impressive(and despite it not fitting your supposed standards he still scored a brace) It'll only get better when he develops more chemistry with the players. I'm convinced you're simply looking for the microscopically smallest of things to bash Ronaldo for because of some personal vendetta over God knows what, a supposed "Manchester United Fan"
Jesus Christ, because the guy said Ronaldo 'created chances' for others, I showed him that he didn't. Ronaldo had only 44 seconds with the ball all game, the lowest by a margin in the United team. Then you blaming me for key passes? Good lord. I'm convinced you are not a United fan, simply a Ronaldo fanboy who loves the guy who called himself a slave at the club and who nearly joined City. You're a supposed "Manchester United fan".

Criticising that performance is a very naive stance to take. You’re essentially saying a striker doesn’t have a good game unless he scores a few, creates tonnes of chances, goes on a load of successful dribbles... it’s just unrealistic to expect that. It barely ever happens.

You also have to consider that even if he doesn’t assist a goal directly, his presence allows more space for the other guys to work in.

He’s a finisher, he’s been brought in to score goals and open up space for the rest of the attacking players, which is exactly what he did.

Great movement, clinical finishing, excellent pace and touch for the second goal, what more do you want?
I agree.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

This same post could be used for the Lukaku haters. It is bizarre there are Ronaldo haters that are Man Utd fans. Weirdest vinn diagram ever.

Number32

The OP is right though, Ronaldo's hold-up play was pretty lame.

But who cares, we call them "Strikers" not "Holders" for a reason. Goals give you a win, holding possesions only give you a meaningless stats.

TheReligion

Abusive
Sorry @Mickson you're having a terrible few days on the Caf.

Literally everyone who has played the game was impressed with Ronaldo's game yesterday. His movement was sensational and he created a number of chances with just that alone. For himself and for others I might add.

He's still quick, and showed that yesterday by gliding past a number of players with ease. He's also still got trickery and superb vision. The fact you missed all these things yesterday is pretty worrying to be honest.

Mickson

Sorry @Mickson you're having a terrible few days on the Caf.

Literally everyone who has played the game was impressed with Ronaldo's game yesterday. His movement was sensational and he created a number of chances with just that alone. For himself and for others I might add.

He's still quick, and showed that yesterday by gliding past a number of players with ease. He's also still got trickery and superb vision. The fact you missed all these things yesterday is pretty worrying to be honest.
Thanks for a balanced post. I agree that his movement was good and scoring two goals, you can't complain. I only answered someone who said he was brilliant in his general play, and I don't think you could say that he was. But that's the player he is, he is a goalscorer and he won't come down to create chances or to be involved in the build-up. However, my earlier point and that I'm arguing about - and I stand by that - is that I'm not sure it will end brilliantly in the end for the team. And that's not Ronaldo's fault, it's just our unbalanced team. We have big problems in midfield and as I see it, it's only Fred and McTominay together that can save us against... even decent opposition. Ronaldo is the player in our team that does the least sprints in pressing (one in the game). He is not going to press or help the team in that department, and IMO we already have problems with that. Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, and Martial are all pretty lazy. Add that to Pogba who isn't particularly good defensively. That's why everyone hates Fred, because he looks very poor because of that. If we look at our earlier games, again, not even against good oppositions, we had plenty of trouble against Wolves and Southampton. We couldn't get a hold of the game at times and we created too little. If we don't create, Ronaldo won't contribute that much to the team. That's why Ronaldo would score 40 goals for City, but probably won't come up with that number at United, even if I think he will score plenty.

432JuanMata

Too be fair the OP said unpopular but I felt he should of said bold prediction instead. Ronaldo is something I have never seen before. It’s insane he is 36

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The idea that we should be worried about Ronaldo upsetting Cavani is the really puzzling thing for me. They mostly do the same stuff and Ronaldo just does it better. There’s never been a period when that wasn’t true.

432JuanMata

The idea that we should be worried about Ronaldo upsetting Cavani is the really puzzling thing for me. They mostly do the same stuff and Ronaldo just does it better. There’s never been a period when that wasn’t true.
The idea that Ronaldo will hurt Greenwood who is 19 and not ready to play 50+ games as the main man also nevermind the fact he be learning from one of greatest ever and in 2 years be still only 21 is more puzzling

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Same for me. Cavani is the ultimate pro and a nice guy. He will give his best when given time and won't complain the rest of the time. We're lucky to have him and Ronaldo

jm99

I think a lot of people must be expecting Ronaldo to start every game and play 90 mins. Really anyone who's seen him the last 5-6 years knows that he needs to be managed, Zidane did it perfectly. Being able to alternate between him and cavani will be such a huge boost this season, having two proper goalscorers that we can switch about will be really helpful, we all saw last season that when cavani was able to play it focused our attack, it was much better than playing without a real striker up top, and neither Ronaldo or cavani is going to be able to play every game of the season

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
First signs of Ole being dazzled by Ronnie’s aura?

Absolutely mystifying decision to leave a player in the lowest centile for defensive effort on the pitch for 72 minutes in a game like tonight. Never mind a fecking 36 year old. Madness to allow him start the second half IMO.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Second Captains wading in on this too. Saying that Ronaldo off and Bruno as a false nine was the obvious response to the red card. Expecting a 36 year old who never presses/defends at the best of times to lead the line while even more isolated than usual was a bad call. That was a power play between a player and his manager and there was only ever one winner. Which is a worry.

I don't think it's time to conclude the manager is "dazzled" by his star player's aura just yet.

We were a man down, and the plan was clearly to shut up shop and try and nick something when we get a chance. And there's no one better to have on the end of a half-chance in a situation like that than Ronaldo, so he stayed on until he was spent.

The stupid move was to vacate the midfield and leave him standing around on his own with no supply. And then spend the last 25 minutes with Lingard as the nominal striker and thus literally no outlet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.