Unpopular Opinion - The Overrated N'Golo Kante

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So basically what Matic does for us?

This is why I think he would be a good fit, we don't really need him to contribute much going forward and he'd make a good platform for Pogba and Bruno to run the show.
Exactly , a better version or the best of what Matic does for us. Kante isn't that player. Whose going to hold the position in front of the back 4 when he goes harrying everyone in sight? Who is going to start moves taking the ball from the CB? Pogba, and it's not the best utilisation of his qualities.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Exactly , a better version or the best of what Matic does for us. Kante isn't that player. Whose going to hold the position in front of the back 4 when he goes harrying everyone in sight? Who is going to start moves taking the ball from the CB? Pogba, and it's not the best utilisation of his qualities.
I agree with your general point, however I believe that kind of player is very rare and in high demand, so I don't fancy our chances getting him this summer. Who are you thinking of?

I think if we stick to what we have we will be fine, Matic rotating with McTominay or Fred in that defensive role. Just need to trust them a little more and more importantly, both Pogba and Bruno need to put a shift defensively too.

Skills

Snitch
Is that the only way to play that role though? I actually prefer the way Fred plays it than Matic. He's a lot more high energy and aggressive. Kantes a better version of that

poleglass red

Kante or someone of his ilk would a godsend for us. Watching Matic static as runners from mid bypass him is a big issue for us esp when neither Fernandes or Pogba track them either. Matic relies purely on positioning, plus he's too far back to compensate for his lack of pace. Good teams will get past his positioning at times and once that happens he's no recovery. With a mid containing 2 players we want further up the pitch, to have that mobility and defensive cover would be a good match for us. Right now we've too much of a gap between all 3 players in mid in matic and Pogba and Fernandes. Kante can cover full backs when they push up but still have the mobility to come inside if a counter comes through the middle. Matic had a good spell last season when he played with Herrera and Pogba. Herrera did his tracking for him whilst he played holding mid, with Pogba was the furthest forward. Problem there was, whilst defensively solid, we had a defensive mid covering a defensive mid, leaving us with only one source of creativity from mid. Kante could cover both those roles, giving the creative players more room to do their thing. right now Pogba is too deep.

United58

I agree with your general point, however I believe that kind of player is very rare and in high demand, so I don't fancy our chances getting him this summer. Who are you thinking of?

I think if we stick to what we have we will be fine, Matic rotating with McTominay or Fred in that defensive role. Just need to trust them a little more and more importantly, both Pogba and Bruno need to put a shift defensively too.
Think it'll be just McTominay; Fred looks to be Pogba's deputy. Ole's going to try and groom McTominay for the Matic role IMO; hope Scott continues his development

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I agree. I just don't understand why he has been asked to do more. He was always best at breaking up the play and covering defense gaps. He's been pushed into a more advanced role to accommodate fecking Jorginho, and now people think he's he's supposedly a box-to-box midfielder.
Because Sarri and (up until lockdown) Lampard wanted a regista type there that starts play from deep and drops in between the CBs to switch play and let them fullbacks push on when need be. Kante doesn't have the tactical head for that sort of play as was so spectacularly exposed when he played there.

Furthermore what bizzarely keeps going unnoticed is he is not a sitting DM in a 3, playing in a 3 RCM is actually his best position in that system.

This is why I think he would be a good fit, we don't really need him to contribute much going forward and he'd make a good platform for Pogba and Bruno to run the show.
He won't just sit though, his natural instinct to be proactive doesn't allow it, it got us into shit against Bayern repeatedly.

Jibbs

From 2015 to 2018 he was the one of the best if not the best midfielders in the world. Has declined a bit since than. His greatest strength was his pace to close people down and bteak up play... his pace has reduced and so his effectiveness. United should rather go for Ndidi.

SirScholes

Great player but wouldn’t move the needle, it’s not a weak area of the pitch I’d argue
Our poor ball playing fullbacks and lack of quality wingers (rashford greenwood both strikers) is the issue

hmchan

Is that the only way to play that role though? I actually prefer the way Fred plays it than Matic. He's a lot more high energy and aggressive. Kantes a better version of that
There's a reason why Ole keeps playing Matic in that position instead of Fred though.

Bojan11

How many times have City bypassed him?

Physically he seems to have lost a edge as he wasn’t the best technically and now he’s struggling as a result.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Physically he seems to have lost a edge as he wasn’t the best technically and now he’s struggling as a result.
Been at this level for a fair few seasons now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The Kante from 2015-18 seems long gone now.

SAFMUTD

He's been shifty for a while now. Was totally unplayable in that Leicester City championship and in his first season with Chelsea under Conte. But since Sarri and now Lampard he living off his reputation only.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
What was he doing for that 3rd goal? He was the last man and yet instead of keeping it simple he tries that weird mid air pass straight into the bodies of Man City players.

flappyjay

Kovacic and Mount are non existant in a defensive standpoint. They have no steel besides Kante in midfield. Mount, kovacic, Jorginho and Havertz are all soft.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Only world class in one system and Chelsea didn't play it since Conte left. Not a lone DM and never has been.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Kinda funny to see all the comments here saying that Kante is done when he actually was great since the beginning of the season and at his best since 2019. Do you guys only watch United's games?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I think if Kante was playing next to fred as a defensive 2 they'd be great together.

Mount and kovacic are awful midfield partners.

RooneyLegend

He's lost a step and it's really showing. Not worth a whole lot playing like that.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Would be perfect in a 4231 if Lampard ever decides to play the formation that suits our best 11.

thepolice123

The caf have a hard on for players of his ilk. He peaked during Leicester's title winning season and hasn't reached that level since then. Its similar with Essien back in the days.

hmchan

Didn't expect someone to revisit this thread, but glad to see people stop making excuses for him such as not playing in the right position.

hmchan

What was he doing for that 3rd goal? He was the last man and yet instead of keeping it simple he tries that weird mid air pass straight into the bodies of Man City players.
He doesn't have the ability and confidence to control the ball, so he just hoofs it away like he always does. How many times we see him do that receiving a throw in.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Didn't expect someone to revisit this thread, but glad to see people stop making excuses for him such as not playing in the right position.
Ironically, he was playing the position that people claimed he should’ve been playing since the Sarri season. The myth that Kanté was ever a lone DM was brutally exposed by City.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He's not over rated, he's just dipped in form since Conte left Chelsea. He was only really good for two seasons.

Saint Jonez

I think he isn't that highly rated by many anymore. Will end up at AS Roma or Inter in 2-3 years.

hmchan

Ironically, he was playing the position that people claimed he should’ve been playing since the Sarri season. The myth that Kanté was ever a lone DM was brutally exposed by City.
I have reiterated plenty of times in this thread that Kante did not and could not play as a lone DM. He was frequently caught out of position and the protection to defence was non-existent; and he was incapable of picking up the ball from deep with his lack of technical ability. I'm not saying Gilmour is a better player, but he is more suited to this role with his playstyle and passing ability.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ive always thought he’s over rated, he just had a season, maybe two of high intensity running and breaking play up. He can’t carry the ball, he can’t pass, he was purely a high energy play breaker upperer.

Brightonian

He wasn't actually that bad against City. Kovacic was abysmal and then, worse, not bothered. So Kante was completely overrun. There isn't a midfielder in the world who could have taken on that packed midfield on their own, and he's not even a true DM.

That said, he's not the unstoppable force he once was any more. Fred is probably still Kante-lite, but not by much.

Hoboman

Of course he was world class - backbone of two league winning teams and WC winners. He is not as good as he once was, but still one of the best in his position when used right.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If he wins Euros with France this summer playing his actual position again, will he go back to being world class again?

There are different ways of winning football matches, not all players suit all systems of play.

Kante conundrum is really as simple as that. At Atletico or Inter he'd look world class as he does for France. Put Kante at Barcelona, City and similarly current Chelsea system and he's bang average at best.

Sarri played him higher up the pitch and never as the lone central midfielder and now hopefully everyone can see why ?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Of course he was world class - backbone of two league winning teams and WC winners. He is not as good as he once was, but still one of the best in his position when used right.
World class at running around, I’ll give you that then

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Technically, he hasn't ever been good, and the issue is when he gets older and when he can't run around, he'll have a pretty steep decline. He has already started losing the steel and speed which made him a crucial part of Chelsea's and Leicester's title winning squads.