Unpopular Opinion - The Overrated N'Golo Kante

POF

I rarely label players world class, I'm not a fan of the label itself and hasn't used it for Kanté, so I'm not sure where you get that low bar from and world class is a temporary label not a permanent one. And it's interesting to see you talk about Kanté being good for 2-3 years and now reducing it to 1 game or one tournament. My point on that subject was that this label has nothing to do with previous generations and it's not a permanent one, you should simply rank him during the 2-3 years that you deemed to be good and I said one of the best, you are the one who said world class.

As for my bar, it's a peculiar one, if I really have to give that label I look at the current CL semifinal contenders and believe that any player that can currently start for them is world class. And again it's not a substitute for all time great which actually is a permanent label.
When I said that 2-3 years of performance wasn't enough to label a player world class, you said:

It's a label that simply assesses the level of player at a certain point in time
I am obviously taking the extreme by comparing that to a single tournament or game, but I'm curious. How long does that point in time have to be?

I did bring up world class by saying that he has been labelled as such by many and as a result is overrated.

It's also a purely personal opinion but I really struggle with the notion that a purely destructive player (even one as good as Kante) can be considered one of the best midfield players in the world. A creative player or one who can control the tempo of games is far more valuable in my opinion.

It's no coincidence that his successful years coincided with having forwards like Vardy, Mahrez, Hazard, Costa, etc in incredible form in counter attacking sides. When he's in a team that controls the ball and needs to create, he is far less effective.

El Jefe

Your post is just hilarious to me. Over the past 5 years, Kante has enjoyed 2 successful seasons, 1 okay season and 2 poor seasons. If you feel his critics are debatable due to form and injury, why couldn't I feel his success is also debatable just due to form?

The more funnier part is that you say Kante has dominated the midfield week in week out. In his title winning season at Leicester and Chelsea, as well as France in the WC, the team often has fewer possessions and that's the way which suits him. You call that domination?

It's also complete horseshit to say he's good on the ball. He often gives the ball away cheaply and is dispossessed easily. He also overhits and underhits a lot of passes which put his teammates in trouble.

It's clear as day that I don't rate Herrera as well so I don't understand why the "Herrera vs Kante" thing is brought up. As early as #50 I've already stated that Herrera is also overrated and I've criticized him a lot in the "Herrera Revisited" thread.
Firstly he's had 3 successful seasons. In 2017-18 he personally had a good season just everything around his was going to shit. He was named Chelsea's player of the year and capped off the season with a successful World Cup so that's more than okay. He's also never had a poor season, unless average means poor to you. This season is the only one you could possibly say that but he's been hit with injuries.

I suspect the issue with you is adjectives. Is he David Silva/Pogba on the ball? of course not but to play at a level as high as he has done it's impossible not to be good on the ball or you'd be horribly exposed. The stats also don't agree with you regarding his passing as his averages from his first to last season have been 82% 89% 89% 88% 83% and his teams have average more ball possession than opponents in every season but the Leicester one.

Think you need to be a bit more objective regarding him as your opinions don't match reality.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Blaming the system is strange, otherwise all midfielders should be judged the same way (defending and attacking) with these excuses. attacking minded players get blamed all the time for being defensive liabilities so I don't see why a defensive minded player should be excused for being a offensive liability blaming systems etc and such.

Vidal's example is infact a very good one because he didn't only excel in the same type of system as Kante did (Conte's) while doing twice as much offensive work but he was also one of the best players for Peps Bayern in a possession team while Kante has been exposed badly in a similar system with Sarri and now Lampard. And Vidal was never hyped as Kante was. If the player can't play more than one systems then he is limited and therefore overrated, simple .
That's nonsensical, Vidal has been highly rated for most of the last decade and been considered as arguably the most complete midfielder around, from his Leverkusen days to the the middle of his Bayern career where his off field issues with alcohol caught up with him. As for Kanté he has played and succeeded in more than one system France, Leicester and Chelsea don't use the same system and he didn't even have the same role, for France he actually sits in front of the defense in a Makelele type of role which wasn't the case for Leicester and Conte's Chelsea.
Also being overrated as nothing to do with being "limited" or not, almost all players are limited by that logic they are all overrated, being overrated means that you are rated over your value, the level of your actual performances. Kanté was considered to be very good when he was very good and now he is seen as "just" good.

hmchan

Your ability falls flat because you're mostly going by feeling. On one hand you acknowledge that he's one of the top midfielders in the world but then say that's not all that good by pointing at the stats. He took part in 22 games, did not feature once as a sub and missed 19 through injury. That's half the games that he missed in an incosistent side in an unfinished season. Another thing to note that in these 18 games that he managed to feature in in the league they did not always play the same system. Just looking at the matches I see about 4 different systems. 5 at the back, sometimes 2 DMs, sometimes the 1. Sometimes he's playing with Jorginho, sometimes behind other players, sometimes with Kovacic. Lampard is doing a lot of different things against different opponents and that means that some players will benefit and some players will not each time. Obviously most players haven't benefited from these frequent changes or he wouldn't be making so many of them, both in change of formation and personnel. That's what you should be looking at, not the pure stats because ultimately the sample size is just too low.

Looking at the games alone is never a good measure. See Matshuayi for example. 1 goal in 16 PL games. Shocking right? Well, in those 16 matches he has 1 start and only 224 minutes which is less than 2,5 matches of game time (14 minutes per match to be exact).

Even if Kante has played worse does that make him a lesser player? No. Ultimately it's only a handful of games that you can point to him being bad because he didn't play that much.

I remember the United game well where they dominated us for most of the 1st half but after the Kante injury there was a mentality shift in the United side. Chelsea simply didn't feel as dangerous without him in midfield. Yes Mason Mount can do a few things that Kante doesn't but overall he's not near the same level. With a fully fit squad Kante is the first name on the Lampard's team sheet and the only player at Chelsea that would walk into our team and City's and Liverpool's without a doubt.
Same as many other threads, this one consists of both subjective feelings and objective facts. Whether Kante's overrated is a feeling, and it's up for debate and that's the purpose of this thread. Meanwhile, I've also listed out plenty of facts (e.g. his lack of passing and antipressing ability, limitation on the ball etc), but sadly you've still chosen to ignore all those arguments till now.

Speaking of system, it's Kante who disrupted Chelsea's fluid midfield trio. In October, they had already settled with the combination of Jorginho-Kovacic-Mount/Barkley and the team was banging goals in for fun. Things only started to change when he returned from injury. As far as I see, everyone but Kante was adapting well to Lampard's tactics. So who's the problem?

Your last paragraph just explains why people overrate Kante so much. They only watch a "handful" of his games in which he performs well because he thrives in big games. What they are not seeing is, however, the 95% of his games when he looks limited, redudant and helpless. That's also why there're still people saying he's good on the ball, because they just haven't seen it themselves.

I don't know what you are trying to get across with all those Batshuayi things. Stats ALONE could be misleading and confusing, and it's dangerous to jump to conclusion just based on one or two stats THEMSELVES. But here I've listed so many arguments (that you've ignored) and the table only acts as a supporting evidence and a reference. Are these cases comparable?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Same as many other threads, this one consists of both subjective feelings and objective facts. Whether Kante's overrated is a feeling, and it's up for debate and that's the purpose of this thread. Meanwhile, I've also listed out plenty of facts (e.g. his lack of passing and antipressing ability, limitation on the ball etc), but sadly you've still chosen to ignore all those arguments till now.

Speaking of system, it's Kante who disrupted Chelsea's fluid midfield trio. In October, they had already settled with the combination of Jorginho-Kovacic-Mount/Barkley and the team was banging goals in for fun. Things only started to change when he returned from injury. As far as I see, everyone but Kante was adapting well to Lampard's tactics. So who's the problem?

Your last paragraph just explains why people overrate Kante so much. They only watch a "handful" of his games in which he performs well because he thrives in big games. What they are not seeing is, however, the 95% of his games when he looks limited, redudant and helpless. That's also why there're still people saying he's good on the ball, because they just haven't seen it themselves.

I don't know what you are trying to get across with all those Batshuayi things. Stats ALONE could be misleading and confusing, and it's dangerous to jump to conclusion just based on one or two stats THEMSELVES. But here I've listed so many arguments (that you've ignored) and the table only acts as a supporting evidence and a reference. Are these cases comparable?
I ignore your other points because there's no point in acknowledging them. You're just stating subjective opinions and I won't change them. Why try and argue with them, your mind is already made up.

I can acknowledge one of them.

Speaking of system, it's Kante who disrupted Chelsea's fluid midfield trio. In October, they had already settled with the combination of Jorginho-Kovacic-Mount/Barkley
When they won 6 games in the league in the row they started with 5 different midfield 3s. How's that a settled midfield? They played with different types of midfield 3s. A DMC behind 2 MCs. A #10 in front of two MCs. 2 DMCs deep and a #10. 5 at the back which changes the midfield. Chelsea's midfield has been anything but settled. Barkley barely played, he started in 7 matches. Mount is in his 1st proper season and is very inconsistent. He played a lot and the more he played the less impactful he got.

RooneyLegend

You might be on to something. They've played 11 in the league, won 9 and drawn 2 without him. Reckon they should sell him to us and get rid. He's holding them back.

Last edited:

hmchan

You might be on to something. They've played 11 in the league, won 9 and drawn 2. Reckon they should sell him to us and get rid. He's holding them back.
Obviously. Chelsea had been leading by a wide margin in the top 4 race before Kante returned from injury in November. By that time, we were 10 points behind and ranked 10th in the league. Now the gap has been shortened to 3 points thanks to the "best" midfielder in the world.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I don't believe in labels and comparisons with other players but there can be no doubt Kante has had a serious impact at the last two clubs he has played for. He has had high energy levels and breaks up the play on a regular basis. I wouldn't describe him as a "quality" player from a ball skill perspective but he has enormous impact in just about every game he plays in. His energy levels have been a large part of his game as he covers a lot of ground and his positional sense demands that he covers that ground.

You can call him world class if you want but at the end of the day he is just a fantastic player who is totally committed to the team he plays in and all his opponents must hate coming up against him. He can dominate any midfield just by tracking the play and breaking it up. This brings in his team mates and stops the opposition. He does that, not the opposition.

The last season or so he has been playing in a new position, which doesn't necessarily suit him, and has had persistent injury problems which he never really shook off. I wouldn't write him off just yet as this break may have done his injury some real good. He wasn't getting a good run in the team before Covid because of the injuries and he didn't necessarily suit the shapeand style Lampard wants the team to play in.

I understand there are few big clubs sniffing around so maybe if a good offer came in Frank would let him go. Chelsea only paid £30m for him so I suspect they could even make a profit. I would rather he came back from injury and played as an out and out defensive midfielder but I wouldn't quibble if Frank wants to sell and make use of Kovacic, Jorghino and RLC. The funds could come in handy in the purchase Sancho.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't believe in labels and comparisons with other players but there can be no doubt Kante has had a serious impact at the last two clubs he has played for. He has had high energy levels and breaks up the play on a regular basis. I wouldn't describe him as a "quality" player from a ball skill perspective but he has enormous impact in just about every game he plays in. His energy levels have been a large part of his game as he covers a lot of ground and his positional sense demands that he covers that ground.

You can call him world class if you want but at the end of the day he is just a fantastic player who is totally committed to the team he plays in and all his opponents must hate coming up against him. He can dominate any midfield just by tracking the play and breaking it up. This brings in his team mates and stops the opposition. He does that, not the opposition.

The last season or so he has been playing in a new position, which doesn't necessarily suit him, and has had persistent injury problems which he never really shook off. I wouldn't write him off just yet as this break may have done his injury some real good. He wasn't getting a good run in the team before Covid because of the injuries and he didn't necessarily suit the shapeand style Lampard wants the team to play in.

I understand there are few big clubs sniffing around so maybe if a good offer came in Frank would let him go. Chelsea only paid £30m for him so I suspect they could even make a profit. I would rather he came back from injury and played as an out and out defensive midfielder but I wouldn't quibble if Frank wants to sell and make use of Kovacic, Jorghino and RLC. The funds could come in handy in the purchase Sancho.
I'm really form between Sancho and Havertz.

On one hand Jadon will have the chemistry from the off with both CHO and Pulisic but on the other hand Kai is ,in my opinion, the superior talent.

hmchan

Is there any player out there that's correctly rated? It seems like everyone's either overrated or underrated.
Yes, the majority of players out there are still correctly rated. They are not mentioned just because they're rightly rated, so there're few debates on them and it's meaningless to create a thread where everyone has the same opinion. Meanwhile, a small number of players tend to get more and more overrated/underrated nowadays, thanks to the polarization by the media. The media love to write positive stories on widely loved players and vice versa, so that people read their articles and they get higher click rates. Consequently readers are influenced by these articles, especially those who don't actually watch the game.

hmchan

Useless on the offensive end; out of position on the defensive end. Another terrible performance. Proves again Kante can't play as a lone DM and Jorginho is a better option. Good news is we are getting closer and closer to top four if Lampard sticks with him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, he really doesn’t fit this Chelsea side. Hard to see where he goes, though. At 29 too. That’s always an awkward age to sell.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He has his place in many teams, he's a world cup winning midfielder and I think the only person to win back to back Premier League titles with 2 different clubs so he can't be that bad. Some players simply don't work in different systems, in fact most players cannot play to their very best in every single system.

Kante was rated correctly but is maybe struggling for form in this system. If he moves somewhere where his playing style is suited then he'll shine again.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
He should give Spain a go, the issue is Real don't really need him and they'd rather try a Pogba galactico signing than him. Barcelona is a complete circus and Atletico will probably replace Partey with a cheap option. Can't see him moving clubs in the Premier League again so that would maybe leave Inter to reunite with Conte.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His inadequacies are highlighted when his team tries to play a possession/positional game.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He should give Spain a go, the issue is Real don't really need him and they'd rather try a Pogba galactico signing than him. Barcelona is a complete circus and Atletico will probably replace Partey with a cheap option. Can't see him moving clubs in the Premier League again so that would maybe leave Inter to reunite with Conte.
If his problem is playing in possession teams then Madrid won't be signing him and he isn't better than what they have.

Only team where his strengths will be highlighted is Atletico.

Last edited:

iHicksy

Reading this thread, Koralov was right.
Couldn't agree more. So many people have either never played football or just don't understand the game in anything other than goals and assists. I'm by no means saying I understand all the tactical facets etc but if you don't realise how valuable Kante is and what he brings that very few other players do then I have little hope for you. I'm sure the same people throught Park was shit too and he just got into the team so we could break the korean market.

crossy1686

career ending
Kante's been a great player for Leicester and Chelsea but he obviously has flaws in his game that are exposed when he's asked to do more, the same that as Matic or Rice for that matter.

I don't think Kante is overrated, I think people overrate the DM position as some sort of super-specialist role that only a certain calibre of classy player can play. Fact is, most players in that position are failed midfielders in some capacity, look at Makelele, he was a failed winger who got moved to DM because you get more time on the ball there traditionally (not such much now due to a high press of course) and this role is pretty much named after him.

The fact that most DM players worldwide are AM/MC's who have gotten older and moved further back for more time on the ball means players who are quicker and play DM look a different class. Rooney plays DM now, let that sink in.

DM's are important in certain setup's but they're not the answer to every question.

hmchan

Couldn't agree more. So many people have either never played football or just don't understand the game in anything other than goals and assists. I'm by no means saying I understand all the tactical facets etc but if you don't realise how valuable Kante is and what he brings that very few other players do then I have little hope for you. I'm sure the same people throught Park was shit too and he just got into the team so we could break the korean market.
So could you elaborate what exactly does Kante bring with your professional tactical knowledge? I play football myself and I have explained with plenty of points other than goals and assists in previous pages, feel free to criticize them but I doubt you have read them at all.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rumour has it utd could be after him now he's fallen down the pecking order at Chelsea.
Pogba
Kante
Bruno
Some midfield that would be!
Is the rumour by any chance that clown Mark Ogden wanting us to sign him?

That's an unbalanced three by the way. Kante is not a holding midfielder which is what you ideally need alongside Pogba and Bruno. I'd prefer someone in the Carrick or pure DM sitting in there dictating things from deep. Kante is a defense minded box to box midfielder and I don't think he's a good fit unless we get rid of Mctominay and/or Fred and he takes their place in the squad. We'd need a DM either way imo.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Rumour has it utd could be after him now he's fallen down the pecking order at Chelsea.
Pogba
Kante
Bruno
Some midfield that would be!
I hope not
Over rated, and injury prone.
I hope we stay well clear.

Jericho

Kante's been a great player for Leicester and Chelsea but he obviously has flaws in his game that are exposed when he's asked to do more, the same that as Matic or Rice for that matter.

I don't think Kante is overrated, I think people overrate the DM position as some sort of super-specialist role that only a certain calibre of classy player can play. Fact is, most players in that position are failed midfielders in some capacity, look at Makelele, he was a failed winger who got moved to DM because you get more time on the ball there traditionally (not such much now due to a high press of course) and this role is pretty much named after him.

The fact that most DM players worldwide are AM/MC's who have gotten older and moved further back for more time on the ball means players who are quicker and play DM look a different class. Rooney plays DM now, let that sink in.

DM's are important in certain setup's but they're not the answer to every question.
I agree. I just don't understand why he has been asked to do more. He was always best at breaking up the play and covering defense gaps. He's been pushed into a more advanced role to accommodate fecking Jorginho, and now people think he's he's supposedly a box-to-box midfielder.

Nickelodeon

His career trajectory is becoming uncannily similar to Michael Essien. From being the best in his position to being a forgotten man in a relatively short span of time. Though he's achieved much more than Essien.

Rooney24

His career trajectory is becoming uncannily similar to Michael Essien. From being the best in his position to being a forgotten man in a relatively short span of time. Though he's achieved much more than Essien.
Does he own a calculator though?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

That's an overstatement, he was a pretty good one in a pretty good team that won the league playing exciting football. But he was more Camoranesi than Figo and eventually was moved centrally where he reached new levels.

hmchan

I agree. I just don't understand why he has been asked to do more. He was always best at breaking up the play and covering defense gaps. He's been pushed into a more advanced role to accommodate fecking Jorginho, and now people think he's he's supposedly a box-to-box midfielder.
Answer is simple. Football has evolved over the years, versatility and all-round ability have become more and more important nowadays. For a midfielder especially playing for a top side, you need to do much more than just breaking up play and covering defensive gaps. You also have to contribute offensively, particularly facing teams who park the bus.

Kante had been playing in the more advanced role at Leicester and Chelsea for years before Jorginho arrived. He seldom played in the pure defensive holding role and this had nothing to do with Jorginho. Can't believe argument like this still pops up after 5 pages of discussion.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Is the rumour by any chance that clown Mark Ogden wanting us to sign him?

That's an unbalanced three by the way. Kante is not a holding midfielder which is what you ideally need alongside Pogba and Bruno. I'd prefer someone in the Carrick or pure DM sitting in there dictating things from deep. Kante is a defense minded box to box midfielder and I don't think he's a good fit unless we get rid of Mctominay and/or Fred and he takes their place in the squad. We'd need a DM either way imo.
Isn't he a DM though? He would fit this midfield quite well imo.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Isn't he a DM though? He would fit this midfield quite imo.
By DM I mean someone who can play the holding midfielder role. Defensively capable and capable of initiating moves. Kante is not that for me. Someone like Fabinho is. The Frenchman is more of a all action defense minded midfielder who is suited to pressing , harrying, and then driving forward box to box.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
By DM I mean someone who can play the holding midfielder role. Defensively capable and capable of initiating moves. Kante is not that for me. Someone like Fabinho is. The Frenchman is more of a all action defense minded midfielder who is suited to pressing , harrying, and then driving forward box to box.
So basically what Matic does for us?

The Frenchman is more of a all action defense minded midfielder who is suited to pressing , harrying, and then driving forward box to box.
This is why I think he would be a good fit, we don't really need him to contribute much going forward and he'd make a good platform for Pogba and Bruno to run the show.