Unpopular (AKA fickle) opinion time on AWB.....

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Christ, the hyperbole on here! He made a mistake, get over it. Happens to everyone!

Dinghy

Got no problem with the red card, as that could happen. Problem is he's shit on the ball, and we can forget about any type of progressive play down the right as long as he's on the pitch.

MattofManchester

This will prove to be a good thing for AWB. It will highlight how important it is to be a brilliant defender. The naive opinions of him being a liability will soon realise how good he is defensively.

Cause he plays every game, people take it for granted. Dalot has already been poor on stopping a couple of crosses coming in.
Except he's not a brilliant defender. He's great 1v1, but he's got poor positioning and his covering at the back post on crosses is also usually poor.

No doubt he's been decent for us, in no way has he been "brilliant".

Looking at Dalot to imply why AWB is a brilliant defender is a weird take.

El Zoido

Time for people to overreact again.
I’ve never been a fan of him. Apart from his tacking I don’t see what his positive attributes are. How many times have we been raving about Luke Shaw having a stormer of a game, and how many times have we said the same thing about AWB? I just don’t see it with him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
AWB needs to be benched a bit to take him out of the spotlight.

He's not up to speed and his court case might have played a part in it.

MadMike

Bad tackle but tackling is his strength so don’t know why there’s a little pile on here.
Threads like this need to be locked during the game
He went into a tackle because of his bad touch. And a bad touch is his trademark.
But yeah these threads work as substitutes for player performance threads during the game.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I’ve never been a fan of him. Apart from his tacking I don’t see what his positive attributes are. How many times have we been raving about Luke Shaw having a stormer of a game, and how many times have we said the same thing about AWB? I just don’t see it with him.
He's fit and practically always available.

FahadiHossein

It's quite surprising how bad his touches and his technique are, considering that he was a winger.

sport2793

I'm a fan of AWB but it's obvious his bad first touch is what caused the red. He is technically not up to the standard required at the moment. Don't like how this court case might affect him either.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He went into a tackle because of his bad touch. And a bad touch is his trademark.
But yeah these threads work as substitutes for player performance threads during the game.
Do you reckon Paul Pogba has a bad touch as well? Poor technical ability?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Searching an old ass thread in the mains to circumvent the closing of the performances forum.

Yikes.

Kneejerk.

He made a mistake. Get over it and try to support our boys finishing the game out!, hopefully with 3 points!

DutchCruijff

Not good enough, unfortunately. Absolutely awful on the ball, awful going forward and his crosses are awful too.

Very limited and you can see when the ball is played out wide to him, the play just grinds to a halt.

Hopefully we go for a RB/Trippier in January.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you think Trippier is good enough, your in for a rude awakening if we sign him.

AWB is improving. When did we become the club that don't allow youth to develop, make mistakes and grow. I remember having this same argument over and over about Shaw - now everyone finally see's it all of a sudden like he just started being good.

AWB, McTominay, Jese Lingard and many more players who get unfair criticism, are good players. This toss the baby out with the bad water attitude is NOT Manchester United.

Trippier is NOT the answer speak to any old Spurs fan, heck just watch him.
Actually I don't rate Trippier much either.

But he's light years ahead of AWB in possession. And in a lot of games that's the most important thing we need from our fullback. In terms of their offensive output, in terms of how they help us build up play but also defensively in terms of how resistant they are to be targeted by an opposition press. So even without rating Trippier, he'd pretty obviously be a better option for us than AWB in a lot of games.

Really as much as anything else I'm questioning the viability of having a fullback of AWB's profile in a top side. Even if you have two fullbacks of similar ability, the one whose weaknesses are so related to his fundamental technique will often prove to be more of a hindrance than one who is less strong defensively. Even if he keeps improving, he's someone you'd always have to account for tactically because of the type of fullback he is. It's not a coincidence that all the fullbacks ahead of him in the England pecking order are better than him in this regard.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Well most that slate a player obviously want to be wrong as it means they get better and are good enough. I like AWB but I have my doubts he will be good enough in the long term
I think he will be good enough not because he will be our all round Number 1 RB - but because Ole is building a clear top class squad with multiple players for multiple positions.

He wants Trippier not because he wants to drop Wan Bissaka- he wants Trippier because it gives him a more attacking fullback within his squad.

Wan Bissaka is a useful player that I like seeing when we have some defending to do vs an attacking team. He has a clear quality like his one vs one tackling which is great vs inverted forwards.

However, just because Ole wants Trippier doesn't mean Wan Bissaka is useless or shit. He just becomes a variable in a many variables of a squad.

We don't play with a certain tactic needing a certain type of player- we can have multiple types of player in our squad. I value what Wan Bissaka brings.

MadMike

Do you reckon Paul Pogba has a bad touch as well? Poor technical ability?
You can tell the difference between an occasionally recurring incident and a frequently recurring one, can't you? You mean to tell me you believe that Pogba and AWB have the same quality of first touch?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm not going to comment on him as a player but I did find it hilarious that he effectively ruined the game for Sancho and van de Beek, two players who desperately needed minutes and form :lol:

432JuanMata

I think he will be good enough not because he will be our all round Number 1 RB - but because Ole is building a clear top class squad with multiple players for multiple positions.

He wants Trippier not because he wants to drop Wan Bissaka- he wants Trippier because it gives him a more attacking fullback within his squad.

Wan Bissaka is a useful player that I like seeing when we have some defending to do vs an attacking team. He has a clear quality like his one vs one tackling which is great vs inverted forwards.

However, just because Ole wants Trippier doesn't mean Wan Bissaka is useless or shit. He just becomes a variable in a many variables of a squad.

We don't play with a certain tactic needing a certain type of player- we can have multiple types of player in our squad. I value what Wan Bissaka brings.
Spot on. While I have my doubts of AWB getting proper competition in for him will be a world of good look what it did for Shaw.
While AWB is young and has improved he still has a good few weaknesses that he needs to iron out to be a success.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He belongs at a team fighting to stay up as he's not got anything else to his game. Worst signing under Ole for me.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Actually I don't rate Trippier much either.

But he's light years ahead of AWB in possession. And in a lot of games that's the most important thing we need from our fullback. In terms of their offensive output, in terms of how they help us build up play but also defensively in terms of how resistant they are to be targeted by an opposition press. So even without rating Trippier, he'd pretty obviously be a better option for us than AWB in a lot of games.

Really as much as anything else I'm questioning the viability of having a fullback of AWB's profile in a top side. Even if you have two fullbacks of similar ability, the one whose weaknesses are so related to his fundamental technique will often prove to be more of a hindrance than one who is less strong defensively. Even if he keeps improving, he's someone you'd always have to account for tactically because of the type of fullback he is. It's not a coincidence that all the fullbacks ahead of him in the England pecking order are better than him in this regard.
This is a good post, again.

MattofManchester

considering they both play the exact same position on the pitch it’s an absolutely legitimate comparison. To not compare them would be a weird take!
No. What I said was that looking at Dalot to "imply" AWB is brilliant is a weird take, not the comparison it itself.
One is barely above average, the other is a lot worse. That doesn't make AWB somehow brilliant.

It'd be the same as saying Telles is brilliant because Williams is worse.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm not going to comment on him as a player but I did find it hilarious that he effectively ruined the game for Sancho and van de Beek, two players who desperately needed minutes and form :lol:
Ole didn't have to sub VDB off and Sancho was having a mare anyway.

Don't see the point in laying into a player for an unlucky red card. It was the correct decision and that's it. If he'd lost his temper or discipline, or been fumbling around like an oaf all game then he'd have to take the criticism, but it was a one off challenge and first time he's ever done it so just something to learn from.

Pogba does similar nearly every game where he overuns the ball and has been sent off for it at least once, and I'm pretty sure he's not rubbish at football. Some absolute tits in this thread.

Lemansky

The most irritating thing is that the games gets ruined. Sancho and Donny off and defending. It’s a very, very stupid tackle also.

Not writing AWB off, but he needs to get rotated with Dalot.

Giggsforever

Why even go for a ball like that so high up, would be no risk giving over possession. It was such a bad touch followed up by a stupid judgement.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The red card happened because of his abysmal first touch. We need to accept that the RB will also need upgrading as AWB is just a bad footballer at an aspect of football in which more is demanded of full backs these days. He only excels at tackling and pace, the rest of his game is average

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The red card happened because of his abysmal first touch. We need to accept that the RB will also need upgrading as AWB is just a bad footballer at an aspect of football in which more is demanded of full backs these days. He only excels at tackling and pace, the rest of his game is average
And that’s being generous in some aspects of his game — where he’s just hopeless.