Unpopular (AKA fickle) opinion time on AWB.....

oreon

This is beyond dumb. He's is 21. Not many 21 year old players are complete. Most are far from the finished article. What you need to see from young players is a year to year improvement. Players need time to develop. In the modern era fans just expect these players to be ready now but it doesn't work that way. What he needs to show is a year to year improvement. Not every 21 year old is Mbappe most are AWB where they have strengths and weakness that need to be improved.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Funny how our last two right backs got slaughtered on here for not having a good final ball and both were better at it than AWB.

Why have the goalposts moved now? Eventually everyone will be saying same thing once the new player novelty has worn off. He's just not a very good footballer.
AWB actually has a better final ball than Valencia when he gets into attacking positions. Valencia was better at getting into those positions though, and his general passing out from the back was better.

Judas

Open to offers
AWB actually has a better final ball than Valencia when he gets into attacking positions. Valencia was better at getting into those positions though, and his general passing out from the back was better.
Bullshit. Valencia was brilliant at one point, his delivery and crossing ability was miles better than AWB, don't let the last couple years of poor form cloud the truth.

dogwithabone

Bit old school maybe but I want a defender to defend first and foremost. People can bang on about attacking full backs and what they do in the final third but AWB is a better defensive full back than anything City - or England - have got.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You guys should watch press conference instead of reading quotes without context.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Bullshit. Valencia was brilliant at one point, his delivery and crossing ability was miles better than AWB, don't let the last couple years of poor form cloud the truth.
As a winger yes. It very quickly declined once he moved to fullback, and when we are talking about his delivery like that obviously we mean in his last three or four seasons.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Bit old school maybe but I want a defender to defend first and foremost. People can bang on about attacking full backs and what they do in the final third but AWB is a better defensive full back than anything City - or England - have got.
but city despite their injuries has conceded less than United. No matter how great a defender is he will still make mistakes. But if we look at the best right back last decade Dani Alves. What he bring to the team in invaluable.

Skills

Snitch
You're just out of touch of modern football tbh.

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah, they'll have to add it themselves too because our coaching staff aren't capable of drilling attacking play into the playing staff. The only way AWB and Shaw will improve their attacking abilities will be in the England camp, unless the plan is to have them stand in the opposition half so our CB's can hit long balls for them to chase.

JMack1234

I'm happy with AWB.

21 years old and already exceptional defender. He needs to get better going forward but I feel that AWB and Williams could be our full backs for the coming decade.

RuudTom83

Individually it might be harder to improve, or take longer. But I prefer to look at the full back and wide players more as a pairing.

Having a strong defensive full back means the wide player doesn’t have to track back as much. But in turn the wide players need to use that luxury when attacking or counter attacking.

Which tbf the counter attack has been very strong, so it is working in some aspects.

The whole team is struggling against the lower half (top 6 downwards) teams so again it becomes very difficult to judge players individually.

Riz

Great movement and cross just now for the goal.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
That’s more like it!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Looks like he's been reading my comments. Hahahah. Fantastic crosses so far. However it is Boxing day and this is first we've seen from him. Not going to get carried away. Hope he proves me wrong though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's a bit mad as he seems more than capable when he tries, maybe he just needs more confidence.

Those 2 crosses were absolute peaches.
Yeah said it few times, when he crosses, they are usually good more often than not, problem is he doesn't try enough crosses.

2 very good crosses this game, should keep this up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
2 beautiful crosses, and not for the first time. He’s definitely got the ability just needs to believe.

Lynty

Our coaches are clueless, AWB has probably been practising crossing in his own time. /s

Wolvereen

Common mistake people make. Pereiera wouldn't be doing any better. Very simple way to look at it. How do you think Leicester would look/be playing of Ole was their coach?

Point is their players look good because they are coached up, in a better system with a better understanding of what they are doing.
Ricardo has much better ball skills than AWB, regardless of system they’re in. Eye test would tell you that.

mav_9me

Ricardo has much better ball skills than AWB, regardless of system they’re in. Eye test would tell you that.
Agreed about better ball skills but in general my point is overall he wouldn't be all that much better

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Bissaka is still 21 years old. Why some people are surprised that attacking threat can be imbued to someone like Bissaka by coaching & training and will take time?

PoTMS

Still not convinced by him going forward. He needs to replicate this on a regular basis. Shaw, I've given up on.

Wolvereen

Agreed about better ball skills but in general my point is overall he wouldn't be all that much better
I disagree. He would add an element to our attack that we’re sorely lacking at times, especially down that right side.

mav_9me

I disagree. He would add an element to our attack that we’re sorely lacking at times, especially down that right side.
Perhaps. There was a difference with Williams compared to Shaw. So you maybe right that the difference in individual quality would make a difference.

Litch

Never going to see the best in our players in an attacking sense until we have a player that's instrumental in creating those opportunities. At present it appears that it's more freestyle football that creates AWB to be in that position than any pattern of play.

Le Red

But it was in the last years that his delivery was criticised, and that was the starting point of the discussion.

Le Red

AWB is not half as bad with the ball than some of you make out to be. I remember people in here saying similar things about Walker and now he's sort of a reference of a bombing full-back.
Walker is not highly skilled but he uses strength and pace to be a force in attack.
Think about Robertson too, he's not as skilled as Arnold but is almost as dangerous, because he knows what he's doing.
Proper coaching will make AWB good in attack. He'll never be Evra, but if he adds attacking threat to his game he'll be outstanding.

jackal&hyde

Not really. We are half way through the season pal. Let's hope he can keep it up though. Looks like he's found some confidence from somewhere.
True! We should have had everything well sorted out from the first game and win the league undefeated, but this terrible coaching staff is so inept it has to go through progression stages.