Unpopular (AKA fickle) opinion time on AWB.....

Preggy99

I have stuck to my guns from the off on this. He's a very good tackler with his spider like legs but on the ball I don't even think he's in the top 10 right backs in the league let alone Europe. £50m seems like a hell of a lot of money for someone who can tackle.

What else is he offering? Looks petrified when the ball comes his way. I heard someone on a fan cam call him the best right back in the league earlier today. Can we stop this nonsense right now? He's not even close. You have to be able to play football too and he can't quite frankly.
Needs massive improvement going forwards. Needs to learn how to cross and come forward with the ball to be a complete right back. 1 v 1 defending he is world class though.

sparx99

Maybe a weird suggestion but I'd almost like to try AWB as a anchorman in front of Lindelof and Maguire. Encourage Dalot and Williams to really push on and use AWB to cover the wings.

He's so good at the recovery tackle that he could allow us to be more adventurous. Then when he wins the ball he just has to find a short pass rather than putting in crosses.

snowkarl

Maybe a weird suggestion but I'd almost like to try AWB as a anchorman in front of Lindelof and Maguire. Encourage Dalot and Williams to really push on and use AWB to cover the wings.

He's so good at the recovery tackle that he could allow us to be more adventurous. Then when he wins the ball he just has to find a short pass rather than putting in crosses.
Yeah he has one strength, tackling, and lacks every other thing you need to play in the midfield.

His positional awareness, first touch and passing is shocking. He would be a disaster twice the size of Jones in the centre.

You really think that a player who lacks the technique and overall technical ability to play in defence will do a better job in a more technically, positionally demanding role?

Weird to say the least, I agree.

The Original

They don't pass to him because he's shite mate.

Great tackler. Should stay back as that's all he can do.
No, they don't because no one has the technique to pull of the cross field pass that would be necessary in these situations. They obviously pass to him a lot in other situations.

Tony247

AWB looked tired yesterday. Hope he is not playing with injuries. Ole is to blame for playing him week in week out.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
He will come good attacking wise, there are positives there definitely. He started as a winger, he has exceptional reading of the game, you can see that he is rarely in the wrong place defensively, if he can do this in defence he can do it in attack as well, he's 21 and already he's better going forward than he was last season. He also needs confidence in your midfield being able to drop back and cover if there's a quick transition and he's caught out of position in an attacking role

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not going to say this as an excuse

But no matter how great or how rubbish he is he won't be able to attack unless there is space made for him to attack towards.

The idea of making spaces for players seems non existent throughout the whole of our team bar the partnership of Martial & Rashford yet even then it seems something they do off their own accord.

VictoriaRed

He was shattered today, basically knackered! Don't think he's used to the level of a club like us, but I feel he has the right attitude! He will come good, I hope!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Love his defending. But really needs to work on his passing and crossing. He has ample pace and upper body strength, he should be contributing to our attack.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Seriously he's a complete novice in possession. Like he has never seen a football before.

RyRy11

I like my defenders to defend and he can definitely do that he’s just shockingly poor going past the halfway line. I don’t like having him in procession for more than 3 seconds.

sammyhol

I just don’t see it with this lad.... being able to get in a slide tackle when someone knocks the ball past you does not make you a decent footballer... he just doesn’t offer anything else as far as I can see. Especially from wingback.

And I just can’t believe the lack of foresight to go and blow 50m on a 20 yr old right footed fullback with potential when we have someone of Williams quality in the reserves (as well as Laird and Dalot). Surely an experienced player if any would have made so much more sense... or even better.. a left back!

Just another prime example of our complete and utter lack of transfer strategy.

Jordan_mufc

He's basically played every single game for us from the start of the season, including a few at wingback. He's absolutely shattered. The two weeks off will do him well.

He does need to improve in possession though. Seeing what Williams brings to the left flank is an eye opener.

Baxter

Seriously he's a complete novice in possession. Like he has never seen a football before.
I’m honestly shocked that he used to be a winger.
Can’t stand watching him and he’s just absolutely hopeless once near the half-way line.

NoLogo

He is a player that would make sense for teams that can actually improve their players but not for us. We need to buy a good footballer to still have a decent one after a year. He wasn't all that great, due to lacking any attacking game, to begin with and doesn't look one bit like he will improve while with us.

KjaAnd

He's young so hopefully he'll improve but my word he's bad going forward. And contrary to what most people seem to think, I also don't consider him a top class defender. Yes, he's great at last ditch tackles, but he's got zero awareness, his positioning is bad and his acceleration isn't all that either.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I like him, he looks knackered though. Hes a solid 7/10 player every match.

Zoo

Well I am happy with him and there’s more to come from him going forward. Look he’s never going to cross the ball like Alexander-Arnold.

DRM

Jesus Christ the knvies are already out. Sometimes I just can't believe our fanbase

Contano

Seems to lack football intelligence. Doesn't get into the right positions, hence why he's always slide tackling and his slide tackling today was dangerous as a couple of times the ball nearly bounced to city in dangerous positions. His throw ins are awful, either straight down the line looking for a head or to the feet of someone already closely marked. Both lead to lost possession. I see Lindeloff started taking the throw ins on the right towards the end of the game. At this moment in time he's not good enough for a United side, needs to improve a hell of a lot to make it. And I haven't even touched on his attacking......

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's 22 and this is his second full season in the PL. You're a bunch of spoilt cnuts, get a grip. He has a few flaws on the ball but he wasn't exactly playing for a possession team at Palace and he will only get better with time.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's a very good defender (had sterling in his pocket whenever we play). Probably the best FB in the league defensively. He has a long way to improve on the ball but he's young. The big worry is FB's usually get better defensively and kind of maintain there attacking abilities as they age. Don't be so quick to write him off. I have a feeling his future might lie at CB if his attacking doesn't improve. He has all the attributes, reads the game brilliantly.

Tiber

Fantastic young player. Utterly absurd that he gets so much shit

sammyhol

I like him, he looks knackered though. Hes a solid 7/10 player every match.
What makes him 7/10?.. Other than last ditch slide tackles which are usually due to poor positioning in the first place, what else is he good at?

That last ditch slide tackle stuff might look good on camera, but it isn't the sign of a great defender... It is the exact reason we used to give the Dippers stick for trying to suggest Carragher was a top defender... How often can you remember Rio needing to slide in like that... or Van Dijk these days? Or if mentioning CBs isnt fair, which of the top full backs elsewhere in the world at the min are best known for their slide tackles.

To me he looks nothing more than a very average footballer with good recovery pace and long legs... Williams RB, Shaw LB next game for me please!

BR7

OP, have to agree, when going forwards he is unsure with a mediocre touch. Passing is average can’t even be sure he knows what he’s going to do next. Great tackler, I see improvment in this aspect of his game though but can’t see him ever being a player with a touch

cyberman

Thought he played really well tonight.
In tansfers and the mega discussions we have in players threads, its apparently clear this forum (myself included) are next to useless in assessing players.
We are shit scouts to be honest.

Roboc7

I assumed when we bought him we would also be buying a right winger. AWB would be expected to defend one on one whilst the winger would be given little defensive responsibility. He’s not good going forward never has been but maybe that wasn’t part of the scouting when we looked at 804 right backs. I do wonder if we bought who we thought best available right back was rather than one that most suited our system.

Dan_F

What makes him 7/10?.. Other than last ditch slide tackles which are usually due to poor positioning in the first place, what else is he good at?

That last ditch slide tackle stuff might look good on camera, but it isn't the sign of a great defender... It is the exact reason we used to give the Dippers stick for trying to suggest Carragher was a top defender... How often can you remember Rio needing to slide in like that... or Van Dijk these days? Or if mentioning CBs isnt fair, which of the top full backs elsewhere in the world at the min are best known for their slide tackles.

To me he looks nothing more than a very average footballer with good recovery pace and long legs... Williams RB, Shaw LB next game for me please!
I mean, you’d rather Shaw just get skipped past on the left then? I can see the point about centre backs diving in, but full backs have some of the quickest players in the world against them. Most of the time he’s blocking crosses that Shaw would 100% be letting through on the left.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He looks absolutely shattered.

Also why does he always look like he's losing his balance when he tries a feint? If welbeck was bambi on ice the this guy comes close because it always looks like he's about to fall over.

Skills

Snitch
I assumed when we bought him we would also be buying a right winger. AWB would be expected to defend one on one whilst the winger would be given little defensive responsibility. He’s not good going forward never has been but maybe that wasn’t part of the scouting when we looked at 804 right backs. I do wonder if we bought who we thought best available right back was rather than one that most suited our system.
I genuinely can't believe that people can watch football over the last 10 years, and think that playing this way is an actual option. You're literally setting up any RW up for failure in that kind of system because the games all about space and positioning.

The likes of Robertson, TAA, Marcelo, Alba & Alves didn't free up their wingers/forwards to 'attack'. They created space for them in more dangerous areas of the pitch by being a legitimate threat on the wing.

Last edited:

Ace of Spades

Love how an Everton fan and a Man City fan are looking at things in perspective. He is fantastic defensively, and he may never be amazing offensively, there is room to improve. Also, we have Dalot and Laird if we do need more offensive FBs.

LJJT

He’s definitely a good tackler but I panic when he’s on the ball he is piss poor with it.im not a huge fan I must admit

finneh

Think he'd do far better as a right sided centre back in a three man defence ala Shaw tonight but in the right to be honest. Mind you I think the same about Maguire. Something similar to Southgate's system in the world cup, but Bissaka would suit it better than Walker.

SweetRightFoot

Shocking kneejerking from some on here. Just because he hasn't got a right foot like Alexander-Arnold he's apparently crap. He's so unbelievably solid, it's mental some can't see that.