Unpopular Opinion: United and Chelsea can challenge next year

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I know it's far-fetched, but I think United and Chelsea can challenge for the title next year, if Ole and Lampard are properly supported in the transfer window.

Why?

1. Liverpool is not the club that can win the title two consecutive years. Just not gonna happen
2. City is showing all kinds of trouble. Even if Pep stays, they are not as formidable as they were.
3. Ole has done a huge amount of work. We are couple key signings and increase in squad depth (good bench players) away from being a very good team. Ole will have to make some painful decisions like letting De Gea go and promoting Henderson, motivating Pogba (if he is to stay) or replacing him and we probably need to sign Jadon Sancho. None of these are unthinkable, however.
4. Spurs have run out of steam. Jose is spiraling, so they don't seem to go anywhere. Arsenal is headless. Wolves top at fighting for top 6. Etc.

I don't know, maybe I am a hopeless optimist, but this is Premier League, and it doesn't feel like top-heavy dominance of two teams is what we will continue to keep seeing, if other teams (like us) play their cards right.

Eire Red United

Without a doubt. Think of all the games Liverpool won this year when they should have been dropping points. No way that luck can carry in to next season. City have quality but are lacking big time in some areas, Aguero ain’t getting any younger and Pep won’t stick around much longer either. Chelsea have a few great youngsters coming up and Lampard really has done a superb job this year in fairness to him.

We’re more than a match for any of them and if we can get De Gea, Henderson or Romero settled and playing well, keep our 3 kids up front going the way they’re going and keep Pogba and Bruno fit we won’t be far away.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah, not seriously at least. Can see both getting around the 80 point mark, but Liverpool will still break 90 IMO and City will get another push I think. The year after that is more realistic for a title challenge, but I think United is still a couple years away from actually doing it.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Unfortunately I think Liverpool will win it at a canter again next season. City are way off and have some key areas that need investment due to age, whereas Liverpool has a much more balanced age range.

Only thing which could trip them up is injuries to key players, they have been incredibly lucky with the fitness of Salah and Mané over the past 2-3 seasons it’ll surely catch up at some point.

Whilst ourselves and Chelsea could push it a bit further next year, we’re still some way short and I think our consistency will cause us problems, and we’ll (understandably imo) persist with DDG which will cost us.

GiddyUp

Unfortunately I think Liverpool will win it at a canter again next season. City are way off and have some key areas that need investment due to age, whereas Liverpool has a much more balanced age range.

Only thing which could trip them up is injuries to key players, they have been incredibly lucky with the fitness of Salah and Mané over the past 2-3 seasons it’ll surely catch up at some point.

Whilst ourselves and Chelsea could push it a bit further next year, we’re still some way short and I think our consistency will cause us problems, and we’ll (understandably imo) persist with DDG which will cost us.
It takes a fecking huge amount of effort to defend a league title and no way will the win it at a center. You need to keep a squad fresh physically and mentally which only last 3-4 seasons. This season was an anomaly with all the big teams changing managers while dealing with their own internal problems. City were spent after a relentless season. There will be many factors for next season but I think your prediction is way off.

OleTheGreat

It has always been difficult in the Premier League to continuously win titles one after another. In fact, United and City have been the only teams to win titles back to back since '92. Manchester United just took the league by a storm under SAF but it is a whole lot different now after 7 seasons without him. We've had a hard time getting our hands on the PL trophy and i'm also very optimistic about Ole being the man who can get us there. His passion for the club is so clear in what he's doing and i believe he will be heavily backed for 2 reasons, he has really turned things around in the last 12 games and i think we are clearly seeing the signs of a great challenge coming together in the seasons to come. Chelsea are also lucky to find a coach who is passionate about the club and knows what needs to be done to get them to win the title. Although i'm not sure Jurgen and his team will make it easy for any of the teams to get our hands on that trophy and Anfield has become a fort in the past couple of seasons. Coming to back to United, i hope we sign Sancho, Grealish, Koulibaly and such players and bring some urgency in our play. Liverpool really pulled through in some games and we should not call that luck. I think they really played with each other and supported one another to get things over the line and the fitness in that group was really good what with the gegen-pressing and all. We need to work on fitness and robustness to get the desired outcome. We can definitely achieve that in a season or two but we all hope it happens sooner than later.

Reactions: Ødegaard

gajender

It has always been difficult in the Premier League to continuously win titles one after another. In fact, United and City have been the only teams to win titles back to back since '92. Manchester United just took the league by a storm under SAF but it is a whole lot different now after 7 seasons without him. We've had a hard time getting our hands on the PL trophy and i'm also very optimistic about Ole being the man who can get us there. His passion for the club is so clear in what he's doing and i believe he will be heavily backed for 2 reasons, he has really turned things around in the last 12 games and i think we are clearly seeing the signs of a great challenge coming together in the seasons to come. Chelsea are also lucky to find a coach who is passionate about the club and knows what needs to be done to get them to win the title. Although i'm not sure Jurgen and his team will make it easy for any of the teams to get our hands on that trophy and Anfield has become a fort in the past couple of seasons. Coming to back to United, i hope we sign Sancho, Grealish, Koulibaly and such players and bring some urgency in our play. Liverpool really pulled through in some games and we should not call that luck. I think they really played with each other and supported one another to get things over the line and the fitness in that group was really good what with the gegen-pressing and all. We need to work on fitness and robustness to get the desired outcome. We can definitely achieve that in a season or two but we all hope it happens sooner than later.
Chelsea defended the title under Mourinho.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I get the feeling that Liverpool will suffer some kind of burnout next season. It’s been such a emotionally draining couple of seasons for them, they don’t rotate massively and their playing style is relentless. It’ll be remarkable if they won it by a distance again next season

diarm

Be interesting to see what happens when the big foreign clubs come in for Liverpool players. Their owners don't have the Sheikhs resources to be paying lads second salaries into Seychelles bank accounts so it'll be much harder to fend off interest.

City still have to replace Kompany and now Silva is going to leaving as well. Huge personalities and leaders like that would leave a void in any squad.

We're heading in the right direction but next year might be a step too soon for either ourselves or Chelsea. We're still lacking top class in a couple of areas and we're probably a little green in places too. You could say the same about Chelsea and those small margins make the difference across a season when consistency is so important.

gajender

I get the feeling that Liverpool will suffer some kind of burnout next season. It’s been such a emotionally draining couple of seasons for them, they don’t rotate massively and their playing style is relentless. It’ll be remarkable if they won it by a distance again next season
This myth needs to die.

Tarrou

1. Liverpool is not the club that can win the title two consecutive years. Just not gonna happen
How is this a reason?

They're on course for over 100 points, of course they can retain the title

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I hope so, but I doubt it. Unless Pep leaves I see City staying very dominant. Liverpool wont get as many points as they did this season. Too many close matches went their way, that's not happening twice in a row.

United and Chelsea are a bit too far behind if you ask me. Especiallly City has so much more depth in their squad.

But meh, I hope it will be at least a 3 horse race.

gajender

I hope so, but I doubt it. Unless Pep leaves I see City staying very dominant. Liverpool wont get as many points as they did this season. Too many close matches went their way, that's not happening twice in a row.

United and Chelsea are a bit too far behind if you ask me. Especiallly City has so much more depth in their squad.

But meh, I hope it will be at least a 3 horse
race.
That rarely happens unfortunately.

crossy1686

career ending
Good recruitment will see a good battle for the league next season, this is assuming City and Liverpool don't strengthen as well as United and Chelsea. Liverpool have had a freak season and I think the league winner will be in the 80 points region next year, which is more normal.

If that's the case, the gap between City and United this season is the one that has to be closed. Personally don't think there's that much in it. More of a squad depth/options thing at this point.

TommiHelm

Wish I could see it, but I can't. Liverpool will just strengthen most likely. And once Klopp leave they'll have a perfect setup for someone like Nagelsmann or Rose to come in and continue. I really don't like where (I think) things are heading, but hopefully I'm completely wrong, as I often am.

Mainoldo

Of course they can. But both managers aren’t good enough to make a realistic challenge.

Fosu-Mens

They will fight it out for the 3rd and 4th place with Wolves. Closer to Liverpool compared to this season due to improvements in their own teams but also due to Liverpool not being as efficient in both ends of the pitch.

If Guardiola stays, they will be the ones to compete with Liverpool. If he leaves, then Liverpool is more likely to retain the title. City needs a LB and a CB to be favourites. As long as VVD is healthy and no major injuries to multiple important players (Trent, Robertson, Mane, Allison, Salah and Firminho), then they will be favourites.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Be interesting to see what happens when the big foreign clubs come in for Liverpool players. Their owners don't have the Sheikhs resources to be paying lads second salaries into Seychelles bank accounts so it'll be much harder to fend off interest.

City still have to replace Kompany and now Silva is going to leaving as well. Huge personalities and leaders like that would leave a void in any squad.

We're heading in the right direction but next year might be a step too soon for either ourselves or Chelsea. We're still lacking top class in a couple of areas and we're probably a little green in places too. You could say the same about Chelsea and those small margins make the difference across a season when consistency is so important.
Covid probably means big clubs can't afford players from major English teams unless the player really pushes for the move. And the players love Klopp enough to not to do unless they drop off considerably. Last summer Palace turned down 60m+ from Everton. Everton willing to spend that and Palace willing to reject that? The money in this league is huge.

For what it's worth, I think Liverpool will drop off slightly next year and United and Chelsea will improve from this year. Logically this means it'll at least be closer. I can't see anyone matching the pace Liverpool set this year, including Liverpool. It's almost a freak, miracle season.

King Andow

Chelsea won't have the depth, especially at the back. They'll get stronger but not enough. For us, I think we need:
- Sancho;
- A DM at the same level, with potential to be world class, or already better than Matic;
- CAM to cover Bruno (Lingard, Pereira and Mata out);
- 1 or 2 CB and a starting LB (Lindelöf-Maguire-Shaw, with De Gea in this form... I can't see it)
- Proven ST better than Ighalo

Then we can start thinking about it. It'll take at least 2 years, IF the right signings are made and Ole step up.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It takes a fecking huge amount of effort to defend a league title and no way will the win it at a center. You need to keep a squad fresh physically and mentally which only last 3-4 seasons. This season was an anomaly with all the big teams changing managers while dealing with their own internal problems. City were spent after a relentless season. There will be many factors for next season but I think your prediction is way off.
I hope you’re the one saying “I told you so”, and not me!

RORY65

How is this a reason?

They're on course for over 100 points, of course they can retain the title
This is what I don't get, they got 97 points and won the Champions League last year as well yet people are acting as if this is a freak campaign and they will drop off a cliff. The reality to even think we can win the title we've got to be aiming mid 90s in terms of points (it's been 93, 100, 98 and probably in excess of 100 in the last 4 seasons) and that's going to require a completely unrealistic improvement from this year. We're 37 points off top currently, if we can halve that gap next season that will be significant and encouraging progress that would indicate that Ole is taking us in the right direction.

Untd55

I think Liverpool might win it again, but it will be far closer next season. It will be City and Liverpool taking first and second; the next two spots should be taken by us and Chelsea.

Not sure why it would be certain that Liverpool won't win it again. They have either on par with the best/the best attack, defence and goalkeeper in the Premier League. Their midfield is massively underrated as well. I would say only City have a better midfield.

Liverpool spent nothing last summer. I highly doubt they will go another transfer window without signing anyone. I can't see them losing any players this window, but they may the next summer.

Man City will buy players. They can't go a summer without buying a £50m wing-back; it's like an addiction. Would not be surprised if they sign a replacement of David Silva, either.

Morpheus 7

We are currently 37 points off the top today. Many things need to happen everyone. We need to have a really good transfer window, then we can talk properly, this combined with other things.

Will we be in the Europa league? No team has won there domestic title and Europa league, Thursday football makes a difference.

Injuries, we have had issues with key players missing parts of our seasons. Pogba, Martial, Rashford ect

Home record- not near what it needs to be. United have dropped points too many points at home to be considered serious of a challenge. Burnley, Villa, Crystal Palace ect.. Maybe if we keep key players fit than unlock lesser sides?

Winning run- United are so inconsistent. I don't want to hear we are unbeaten since Bruno has played. There were draws and teams like Lask included like that. Win over 10 league games in a row, that's what we need to be hitting.

Squad- Is everyone convinced Maguire and Lindelof are the partnership? Are we short up top of goals. Is Greenwood ready, what happens with Ighalo after January? Are we an injury from our starting 11

Many things need to happen for United to compete. There is definitely something to build with. After all the false dawns post Fergie you need to feel it, I feel some are here that will lift the league but maybe not next year. Chelsea lost 10 games in the league so far. Let's see where we are at the end of August.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don’t see it. Liverpool won UCL while being 1 point off the league title last year, to then win this league title with 7 matches remaining (I don’t remember when this last happened, maybe in first Mourinho Chelsea era, maybe never. The players looked as hungry as ever even after winning UCL.

City is showing problems true, but they have an excellent manager so I won’t rule them out.

Spurs are meaningless when it comes to talking about the title.

I don’t think much will change next season. We can expect both United and Chelsea to improve but I would be nicely surprised if either of them ends within 10 points of the champion.

ChelseaChelsea68

Supports
Chelsea
We won’t challenge next season. Apart from James our whole back line is poor. We need a leader at centre half and a decent goalkeeper, Kepa is clearly not good enough.We are a club rebuilding like Man Utd,
Double edge sword for you, but one day after becoming Champions the Dippers Fans are already unbearable, I would much rather City win it next season the lesser of two evils.

We need for or five quality signings, combined without clearing out at least as many, before we challenge Liverpool and City. Very likely Pogba will need replacing too. We are a long way short, IMHO.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

But meh, I hope it will be at least a 3 horse race.
It's already happened twice in a row!
They did amazingly to stay so close to City last year, when it should have been a 10-12 point gap.

Falcow

Only an injury to VVD will cause them to finish below 90 points next season. I dont see city City getting back to >95 points next season, they need serious investment, crazy and all as that sounds.

I expect nothing less than 80 points from us next season but it wont be enough unfortunately. Hard to see anyone other than pool again next season.....horrible horrible thought.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We need for or five quality signings, combined without clearing out at least as many, before we challenge Liverpool and City. Very likely Pogba will need replacing too. We are a long way short, IMHO.
And we also need a new manager and coaching staff before we’ll get anywhere close too challenging.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Of course they can. But both managers aren’t good enough to make a realistic challenge.
Well, you gotta give it to Lampard that he inherited a team that couldn't make any transfers, had a pretty dismal squad in many ways and he still has maintained top 4 position most of the season, is closest to make top 4. In his first season at top flight, as a manager. That's not nothing. If Abramovich gives him money, he can go places. Granted, it is a big "if" with the whole Corona thing, but still a possibility.

As for Ole - he clearly can win games with top teams, and he does. That's very significant. So, if we can figure-out how to be consistent and not lose stupid points, we can challenge. We are growing, we are on upwards trajectory. City and Liverpool - they can only go down, and I am really not sure Liverpool has the stamina that it takes to win consecutive titles. City does, but they seem to be a mess in other ways + if European ban holds, they will start disintegrating, Pep may even leave.

Zen86

A few clever signings and we could absolutely mount a serious challenge next season.

Eddy_JukeZ

Still think we(and Chelsea too) need a better manager to compete with Klopp and Pep.

RooneyLegend

Too many things have to fall in place for this to happen. Doubt either club has the expertise to get it done. Theoretically its possible as both clubs have a solid base to work from.

Rish Sawhney

People care too much about the current reputation of the managers. If you take that out of it (that Lampard and Ole aren't proven winners at this level) its very possible. Liverpool went from being way off in 2018 to pushing City all the way in 2019. They might win it at a canter next year, but any surety of that idea is just recency bias.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I don't think that we could challenge next year even if we got Sancho + kept Pogba. Our 11 would be quality sure, but our bench is nowhere near good enough. As we saw today, we almost got embarrassed by bottom of the league Norwich with our bench players starting. We still need to clear the lot of them out and bring in some quality rotation players too. I just don't think we're capable of doing that realistically. Especially in this post Covid landscape.

KennyBurner

Only way we challenge is if we up our fitness. We basically need to start using PEDs like Liverpool so we too can play like crackheads for 90 minutes. There isnt a significant difference in quality between us and the scouse but they have better fitness.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we would sign a top (and fast) centre back partner for Maguire, a top right winger, keep Pogba, and manage to play our first XI for almost every game, then I believe we could be within touching distance.