Unpopular Opinions Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by KiD MoYeS, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 4, 2014

KiD MoYeS Good Craig got his c'nuppins

There's a growing division between fans this season. We've got three firm camps at the moment: those who want Moyes out; those who want Moyes in; those who have yet to be swayed either direction;

At the moment we've noway of knowing which camp is right and which camp is wrong. So, many unpopular opinions have popped up this season. Thought we could share some in a friendly environment, I'll go first.

Firstly, midfield aside, I feel our squad isn't as far behind Chelsea's or City's as some feel. There isn't the massive gulf in class between the caliber of player's we all possess. We've world class players in our squad. However, I would agree with the sentiment suggesting there's a big gulf in quality in management between ourselves and Chelsea and City. Also, I still maintain we've a better squad than Arsenal's and Liverpool's, yet we find ourselves behind both.

Secondly, I feel selling one of Rooney or van Persie could benefit the team. I think Rooney should be deployed as a nine and not a ten. This would free up the number ten role for one of Mata, Kagawa or Januzaj. Also, Rooney and van Persie have not forged a great partnership.

Finally, I'd move on Carrick in the summer. I feel he is past it and shouldn't play too many games next season if he's still here. A great servant nonetheless.

Now, you may disagree and that's fair enough but these are some of my unpopular opinions right now. Anyone care to share?
  2. Feb 4, 2014

Spiersey Chelsea fan

20 year contract for Moyes.
  3. Feb 4, 2014

:lol::(
  4. Feb 4, 2014

Joemo whistling in the wind

Nick Powell won't make it at United if he doesn't become a CM.
  5. Feb 4, 2014

Revan Assumptionman

1) One of RVP and Rooney should get sold in the summer
    2) Our squad is quality. I still think that there isn't much between us and Chelsea in quality of the team.
    3) Kagawa is great if he is used correctly

The midfield and manager issues have been discussed to death and neither are unpopular so I am not mentioning them.
  6. Feb 4, 2014

shaggy Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans

Smalling is overrated, far too clumsy on the ball.
  7. Feb 4, 2014

Mersault New Member

2) Chelsea have better full backs. They have better players in the attacking third. They have more strength in depth. Not to mention those two unmentionable topics.
    1) Agree. I prefer van Persie to Rooney.
  8. Feb 4, 2014

Ha, I feel the opposite. That Jones is overrated and Smalling is the more natural defender of the both. He's not great on the ball though, agreed.
  9. Feb 4, 2014

adamwest Full Member

Seconded.
  10. Feb 4, 2014

Sunny Jim Full Member

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
    Id kill myself.
  11. Feb 4, 2014

Chesterlestreet Man of the crowd

I'm not sure whether one of RVP and Rooney should be sold. But I admit it's a thought that has crossed my mind. It all depends on what style we aim to adopt, though. And it does, like almost everything else, depend on the state of our midfield. Throw a Vidal in the mix - and every other part of the team may suddenly appear in a different light.
  12. Feb 4, 2014

gormless Full Member

Danny Welbeck is hideously overrated on here. We wouldn't have tried to sign him if he was at another club
  13. Feb 4, 2014

Mata, Rooney, Januzaj, Kagawa, Nani.

Hazard, Oscar, Willian.

Tend to disagree there.
  14. Feb 4, 2014

I feel he's a bit like Rooney. When he's good, he's great. When he's poor, he's beyond dog shite.
  15. Feb 4, 2014

Paolo Di Canio "we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"

I agree carrick should be phased out next season, although he is our only decent midfielder, id like to see us go with something a bit more mobile

Kagawa hasnt shown any signs he can fit into our system, good player none the less but people have to stop believing if we play him centrally he will become world class, its the system thats the problem, not Shinji

Rooney has carried us for seasons and I kind of understood why he was getting pissed off at the club
  16. Feb 4, 2014

Sixpence Erroneously Promoted

Ferguson fluked both of his CL Final triumphs.
  17. Feb 4, 2014

One thing I'll agree on, he made a balls of both Barcelona finals.
  18. Feb 4, 2014

Mainoldo Full Member

Seriously they have!!! We also have an inferior squad to Liverpool and Arsenal. It's weird when you put it down on paper how good of a squad we actually have.
  19. Feb 4, 2014

Mainoldo Full Member

If he had rebuilt correctly we could have beat Barca the second time round.
  20. Feb 4, 2014

Moby Dick who hates the homeless

Rename this to the football hipsters thread.
  21. Feb 4, 2014

Why?
  22. Feb 4, 2014

Shane88 Actually Nostradamus

We shouldn't be relying on Jonny Evans to be the backbone of our defence in the years to come.
  23. Feb 4, 2014

Goooose New Member

Thirded.
  24. Feb 4, 2014

Mersault New Member

OK, I actually think it's impossible to differentiate between them without looking at the style of play and what their manager gives them. But what they have that we don't is they've done it this season, played well and look like they're fast improving whereas for us it is still just a exciting prospect on paper. There's been little to rave about. And I wouldn't thrown Januzaj into that category right now, he'll need a year or two to really reach that level IMO.
  25. Feb 4, 2014

I agree. It comes back to us not having as poor a squad as some have suggested, certainly not on paper. But as you said, it hasn't performed on the pitch. Be it down to poor management or something else.
  26. Feb 4, 2014

Stability is massively overrated. Arsenal have persisted with a manager who has won them nothing in nearly a decade while Chelsea have won everything in the same period with sacking their manager every few months.
  27. Feb 4, 2014

Kag Full Member

• Jonny Evans was a better defender, in the true sense of defending - i.e positioning, reading of the game, maturity - than Phil Jones at similar ages.
    • Wayne Rooney's one pass out to Valencia is one of the most hideously overrated things associated with our football.
    • We have a superior squad to that of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, with only City being better. We don't play anything like a team for reasons I've previously outlined. I pity the opposition if/when this squad is provided a progressive manager.
    • Javier Hernandez will never, ever be good enough to lead the line at a top club due to his inability to control a football with consistency.
    • Our treatment of young players is inflated for the better, even though very few of our recent "potential" ever ends up the way in which we would like.
    • Sir Alex did not get the best out of our squad over the past few seasons, on the field, contrary to what others say in justifying our current boss. Our football could have been better - half the squad being out of form.
    • Rio should have been offloaded not just last Summer, but the one before. Smalling and Jones would now be better as a result. I saw this coming because we watched it happen with the midfield. Did we learn from it? No.
    This is fun.
  28. Feb 4, 2014

.Rossi ever get that feeling of déjà vu?

Jones and Smalling are the most overrated players in the league
    Moyes' short comings and Januzaj's form, have masked the average form of Wayne Rooney
    Phil Neville is a knob
  29. Feb 4, 2014

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    Mafia contract would be better.
  30. Feb 4, 2014

Melvyn prostate examiner

People overrate Jones because they are influenced by what Fergie said about him.
  31. Feb 4, 2014

Paolo Di Canio "we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"

We cannot function as a team without Rooney, every game ive seen over the past few years without him weve looked hopeless in attack, without him and RVP we would finish 9th
  32. Feb 4, 2014

Rafael is hugely overrated.
  33. Feb 4, 2014

Beachryan More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

Unpopular opinions? Best thread ever:

- An attack built on Rooney, Mata, Janujaz and RVP is too slow to be successful
    - There is no formation that will work with our current full backs, and Mata and Janujaz. Not enough defensive nous with those 4 on the flanks
    - Smalling is not good enough at the actual 'foot' part of football to play for us, and teams have/will work this out, and let him have the ball to waste
    - RVP was a mistake, even if it brought us a 20th title. Rooney/Kagawa was the way to go, and 24m on a midfielder would have done us more good
    - Fergie has been largely miss in the transfer market for almost a decade. Deep breath: Bebe/Obertan/Young/Diouf/Owen/Tosic/Berbs/Manucho/Henrique and the misuse of Kagawa plus the unneeded RVP...we've spent lots of money without improving
  34. Feb 4, 2014

Minkaro Full Member

Mame Diouf may not have been The One.
  35. Feb 4, 2014

mancan92 Full Member

The squad is top 4 quality
  36. Feb 4, 2014

Interesting thought, something that's never really occurred to me actually.
  37. Feb 4, 2014

Glanville95 Full Member

I'd join you.
  38. Feb 4, 2014

Of course it is, anyone who argue's otherwise is deluded. That can't be an unpopular opinion, surely?
  39. Feb 4, 2014

Livvie Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn Scout

Come on! We had our share of luck in the final, but we were generally excellent in the qualifying rounds, and the 1999 side was an amazing mix of flair players and those who had no mean amount of talent and a lot of commitment. We'll go a long way before we have a midfield of that quality, a captain like Keane, and a central defender like Jaap.
  40. Feb 4, 2014

Kag Full Member

Our "average" squad is something I read about fairly often, even though it is baseless, incorrect and said only in some kind of morally-bound duty to justify a manager that is horribly out of his depth.
  41. Feb 4, 2014

Kag Full Member

• There is very little "deadwood" in our squad, even though the word is used frequently. The only deadwood I see is Ferdinand, Buttner and Young, and the latter aside, they seldom play. The rest of our squad could all play a part in a successful United squad, albeit others such as Hernandez and Cleverley should probably move on, too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.