Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
For a club as big as United, I find it amazing that our famed youth system hasn't produced a top class striker since probably Mark Hughes in the 80's. Not one top class striker has come through these ranks in nearly 3 decades.

Crashoutcassius

I honestly thought it would be impossible for people to say our squad is good given that we started giggs and jones in centre mid last week, I thought it would be impossible, but now I've seen it. Surely we have to address the fact that a young defender and a 40 year old winger have to start games in central midfield for us and that it means our midfield is not as strong as it should be

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Jones and Smalling are the most overrated players in the league
Moyes' short comings and Januzaj's form, have masked the average form of Wayne Rooney
Phil Neville is a knob
Harsh on Rooney. Been one of the league's better performers this year. He's not a top tier striker / player though (Aguero, Suarez) and shouldn't be given a 300k a week contract.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Stability is massively overrated. Arsenal have persisted with a manager who has won them nothing in nearly a decade while Chelsea have won everything in the same period with sacking their manager every few months.
Along with access to unlimited funds from a Russian gangster.

Steven Seagull

I wish we'd sold Hernandez when his value was much higher and got someone of similar age and greater quality.

Mata is not the kind of player Ferguson was after in recent seasons. We should've spent 37 million on a faster, more dynamic attacker (as excellent as he is)

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I honestly thought it would be impossible for people to say our squad is good given that we started giggs and jones in centre mid last week, I thought it would be impossible, but now I've seen it. Surely we have to address the fact that a young defender and a 40 year old winger have to start games in central midfield for us and that it means our midfield is not as strong as it should be
Midfield does not equate to squad.

binary bot
Our squad isn't as bad as people make out. People just use it as a way to deflect from how bad Moyes is doing. Good managers don't need a squad of 11 superstars to do well - a successful style of play is just as important as the players on the books. Just look at the performance from Chelsea last night, how good Klopp has did, how good Martinez is doing, how good Rodgers is doing.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
We won't get any of the players Moyes is leading us to believe next summer, as Europe is looking out of our grasp and those top players won't move away from CL football, especially the ones who seem content at their clubs like Reus, Koke, Vidal. I'm expecting a similar, maybe better next window than the last one.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Unpopular opinion:

SAF's footballing knowledge isn't that deep or outstanding. He obviously knows the game very well and he probably can remember who scored the goals in the semi final of the Scottish cup in 1975, but in terms of judging a player's abilities or getting a team to play to the most of their abilities, he's far more about gut feeling and motivation.

A leader of men and a fantastic manager - but not really that knowledgeable about the game, it's ebb and flow.

Now this should spark some debate.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
  • There is very little "deadwood" in our squad, even though the word is used frequently. The only deadwood I see is Ferdinand, Buttner and Young, and the latter aside, they seldom play. The rest of our squad could all play a part in a successful United squad, albeit others such as Hernandez and Cleverley should probably move on, too.
I agree with this, and yet I don't think your squad is anywhere near as good as many think when comparing it to chelsea and city.

Lots of players good enough for a title-challenging squad. Very few outstanding ones.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I agree with this, and yet I don't think your squad is anywhere near as good as many think when comparing it to chelsea and city.

Lots of players good enough for a title-challenging squad. Very few outstanding ones.
How many outstanding players do we need? Rooney, Mata, van Persie with Januzaj soon to follow.

mancan92

Unpopular opinion:

SAF's footballing knowledge isn't that deep or outstanding. He obviously knows the game very well and he probably can remember who scored the goals in the semi final of the Scottish cup in 1975, but in terms of judging a player's abilities or getting a team to play to the most of their abilities, he's far more about gut feeling and motivation.

A leader of men and a fantastic manager - but not really that knowledgeable about the game, it's ebb and flow.

Agree to some extent but that is why he surrounded himself with people who were more hands on, tactical and forward thinking.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Stability is massively overrated. Arsenal have persisted with a manager who has won them nothing in nearly a decade while Chelsea have won everything in the same period with sacking their manager every few months.
It doesn't seem to be massively overrated on here at the moment. Quite to the contrary, I'd say.

Wenger Vs Change n' Chop? Well, it all depends on how much money you have to burn, doesn't it?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
How many outstanding players do we need? Rooney, Mata, van Persie with Januzaj soon to follow.
Your problem is you have a bunch of good enough squad players besides those three that are being asked to deliver performances of First XI players. A severe lack of profiles outside your three top names.

It's not that anyone in particular is not good enough to play for you. It's just that they should be playing with more top players around them.

marjen

You're usually spot on when it comes to your opinions. I think this is as close to the mark as it gets.

We've got lots of good or even very good players but only about three or four absolute top class performers. (Mata, RvP, De Gea and Rooney IMO, as of now.)

But in terms of absolutely useless players I think there aren't many.

Büttner, Ferdinand I'd agree with. Giggs is probably going to retire as well. I don't think Young's deadwood he's a decent fourth choice winger or thereabouts, albeit terribly annoying.

SAF won us the league because he gave us a winning mentality.

Other managers might need a slight upgrade to win it, but not really that many. Two world class players and we should be there with a good manager.

marjen

Agree to some extent but that is why he surrounded himself with people who were more hands on, tactical and forward thinking.
Aye, I too believe this is the case. SAF was stubborn but not to the cost of results. The pride lies in the result, not the way there, as my boss says.

forevrared

A lot of what makes up United's "identity" is stuck in the past. We're going to be left behind more and more as long as we try to cling to the way things used to be done and refuse to play the modern game on AND off the pitch. This is one of the most negative aspects Sir Alex brought to the club and I think he will continue to influence it.

AlwaysRedwood

The midfield is mid table quality.

Older players like Evra and Vidic and Rio have mentally checked out.

Welbeck is not a top 4 player.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
This is going to so unpopular that some people will probably think I'm not serious, but I am deadly so:

1) Phil Jones is not the Greatest Human Ever™

I'd have him top 10 at best.

Eugenius

- Our squad is the third best in the league, and is only slightly behind Chelsea's
- Nani, if given a run of games, will show to be our most important winger
- Mata won't fit for us long run unless we get rid of Rooney
- Fellaini may be useful for us
- Welbeck will be overtake RVP or Rooney in the pecking order in the next couple of seasons

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Unpopular opinion:

Ferguson regularly bought young players based on their character and whether they had the ability to become loyal players to him. The ability is a massive part of it but he sometimes seemed to lean towards valuing those human characteristics a bit more than pure football ability.

Red Stone

Ferguson fluked both of his CL Final triumphs.
Agree with '99. Bayern bottled that. We were completely outplayed for the most part. 2008 was obviously also a case of having a bit of good, old-fashioned luck in the end, but I felt we did enough to win it before full time, even if it eventually did go to to penalties.

marjen

Ferguson regularly bought young players based on their character and whether they had the ability to become loyal players to him. The ability is a massive part of it but he sometimes seemed to lean towards valuing those human characteristics a bit more than pure football ability.
It's my impression too. Reading his book just seemed to emphasize that feeling.

He's really, really valuing loyalty and the right human characteristics, as you say, which might have helped him build teams that lasted and dominated for so long even if it meant missing out on one or two brilliant players.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Our old guard seem to be what's holding us back the most - especially from playing a higher tempo football:Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, & another 1 of Rooney/RvP needs to go.

Players not good enough for United (anymore or never was): Valencia, Young, Buttner, Chich, Cleverley.

My friend says I should add Welbeck. I'm not sure how I feel about that 1, but don't shoot the messenger.

manutddjw

Ferdinand is being horribly mismanaged and that is the reason behind his awful form this season. I can't see how a player who was being raved about last seaso and was capable of playing twice a week, is now on a Giggs schedule and noticably much worse. Of course players decline with age, but they don't go from Ronaldo to Bentley in the span of 3 months.

Glanville95

We have a squad superior to Liverpool, Spurs and Everton, not much between us and Arsenal, but certainly behind Chelsea and Manchester City.

Sentimentality and old-fashioned values like not conforming to agent fees or refusing to stump up an extra £5M on players are some aspects holding us back in returning to the elite stage.

Recommending David Moyes as Manchester United manager will be recognised as Sir Alex's biggest ever mistake.

Nani, Jones and Evans are considerably overrated on the caf.

Status
Not open for further replies.