Unpopular Opinions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaapster

And like all 'opinions' you can argue all night that its baseless. As dirty harry would put it, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has them".

But in all seriousness I really truly believe my opinion about the lack of fight and leadership from our players to be true.

What is most ironic about football supporters, including most of our own, is the first person we turn on the new manager. No one ever stops and thinks 'oh hold on, these guys are overpaid millionaires who just don't care enough'.

Maybe I've missed something, maybe most posters on here earn on average 100k a week. Because the guys that are NOT fighting for United at the moment on average are paid that much BECAUSE of the support of people like us.

No matter what business you are in whether you are on £200 a week or £200,000 a week it has to stop somewhere and it will always be the one in charge who takes the flak.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As long as Fergie is a director at United Moyes will have a job guaranteed regardless of how we do in the league barring relegation which will never happen.
I find this notion ridiculous to be honest as it suggests sir Alex is some sort of lunatic.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Here's an opinion so unpopular and outrageous that I will probably be chastised quite severely, but I just can't hold it in any longer. I think we need to sign a new central midfielder.

Rory 7

Another radical opinion now: Please don't judge me too harshly, but I think that there is a slight possibility that 442 with conventional wingers is slightly outdated and our preference for it might be holding us back a bit.
Not an unpopular opinion at all, most people would agree modern football has moved on from 442.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
1. Ryan Giggs should retire. Infact he should have left in 2011 along with Scholes, VDS and Gary Neville. His supporters like to point to his 2 good games a sesson as proof that he's still got it. I'd rather have the likes of Powell, Lingard as squad players.

2. When Fergie brought back Scholes Viera said it was a sign of desperation. However it was called a masterstroke by many of our fans. Scholes' comeback turned our season around even though City won the title. That move set us back in the long run. We had Pogba who was eager to play. He has said the return of Scholes and the infamous "midfield" against Blackburn made him decide to leave. He is now one of the best midfielders in the world at Juve. In the meantime we are forced to endure various combinations of Giggs, Rooney, Kagawa, Cleverly, Carrick, Jones, Anderson in midfield.

3. Welbeck is rubbish. He is never going to turn into a world class striker. He gets let of lightly because he is a local lad who came through the system.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The squad is full of players happy just to take their money home every week. There's no hunger left in them any more. Ferguson used to keep them chomping at the bit for more.

Jaapster

Yes it is partly. But I don't know about you, if I wasn't doing my job I'd be sacked. And thats just what Moyes is going to have to do. SACK half the senior squad. Now there is an unpopular opinion.
yep that's true but if your current boss was brilliant at his job and you worked with him for years and suddenly he retired and was replaced by someone and your company didn't perform as well as it had done, who would get the blame .

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I find this notion ridiculous to be honest as it suggests sir Alex is some sort of lunatic.
I think he's too stubborn and won't want to admit that the last decision he made was a huge mistake and he will give him a long time to change things. I just hope that the owners overrule him and take things into their own hands if things aren't working.
There is also a bit of me who thinks Mourinho was his first choice but Mourinho made up his mind, so after he picked Moyes and just said it was a unanimous decision. Only a small feeling, but more likely is that we overlooked him.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul
Not saying he's a lunatic but as long as we finish top 5-10, even if we finish below top 10 for a season or two which won't happen (Moyes is a good enough manager to have his teams finish in top 5-9 every year) Fergie will be there to give Moyes backing and have his stay in his job. You don't agree with it, fair enough.

Rory 7

yep that's true but if your current boss was brilliant at his job and you worked with him for years and suddenly he retired and was replaced by someone and your company didn't perform as well as it had done, who would get the blame .
well i work for myself so i'd have to sack myself :)

but on a serious note, i know many companies where the people reporting to the 'brilliant boss' are shipped out because they don't do their stuff for the new boss.

that IS going to happen at United and there will be gnashing and grinding of teeth on here.

mark my words. the fact that the players just don't care enough and fight enough for Moyes is the most unpopular opinion on here.

surf

Not sure how unpopular these are:
Jones is more useful to the team in midfield than in central defence
Valencia is better as a backup right back or a substitute right winger than as a starting right winger
Welbeck is a better forward than Kagawa
Ferguson did not leave Moyes a poor squad

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I think that we should try to convert our young midfielder Phil Jones into a centre back. Is it crazy, or is it visionary? Whilst we would undoubtedly miss Jones' technical ability in midfield, something tells me that his defensive attributes would make him well suited to becoming a CB.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Moyes is a terrible manager but his silver tongue and devilish good looks swayed the board to give him the United managership.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Unpopular opinions:

1. There's no way Moyes is going to pick Mata, Rooney, Januzaj and RvP at the same time in the way the caf wants. Valencia and Young will continue to play regularly. They also almost certainly won't be sold in the summer either.

2. Nani has always been overrated on the caf and still is. He really isn't all that good.

3. Evans is also overrated here.

4. Welbeck doesn't have as much innate ability as some would have you believe.

5. Fellaini won't be that bad once he's bedded in properly. He is actually underrated here now.

6. Instead of blaming either the manager or the players people should realise both have been terrible. Fixing just one of those areas won't solve anything so we'll probably be struggling for a while. Also, a lot of this is SAF's fault too.

7. We might not have beaten Real last year even if Nani hadn't been sent off. We were lucky to be ahead at that point. Plus even if we had beaten them we probably wouldn't have gone much further as we were playing like crap last year too.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
It would have. Roy Keane would be playing crap just like most others.
I watched the '96 FA cup final again at the weekend because I'm a sad bastard and even then before Keane was captain he was roaring at everyone, keeping them on their toes. In the 90th minute just after Cantona had scored the winner Cantona gave the ball away and Keane chased back, tackled the player and turned around and tore into Eric for giving it away. Who else would do that to their captain just after he's scored what will probably be the winner in the FA cup final!

My unpopular (but probably common) opinions would be;

• Hollywood balls to the wings when in loads of space does not make Rooney a good midfielder. By the time the winger chests it down and controls it the defense is organised again anyway. Most of the time they are pointless
  • Moyes smiling so often pisses me off more than it probably should. Even at the very start last Summer I was thinking to myself that this is a serious job and he should look more ruthless. (I'm sure there's a ruthlessness in him behind the scenes so I know this isn't important but it still pisses me off)

Rory 7

I watched the '96 FA cup final again at the weekend because I'm a sad bastard and even then before Keane was captain he was roaring at everyone, keeping them on their toes. In the 90th minute just after Cantona had scored the winner Cantona gave the ball away and Keane chased back, tackled the player and turned around and tore into Eric for giving it away. Who else would do that to their captain just after he's scored what will probably be the winner in the FA cup final!

My unpopular (but probably common) opinions would be;

• Hollywood balls to the wings when in loads of space does not make Rooney a good midfielder. By the time the winger chests it down and controls it the defense is organised again anyway. Most of the time they are pointless
  • Moyes smiling so often pisses me off more than it probably should. Even at the very start last Summer I was thinking to myself that this is a serious job and he should look more ruthless. (I'm sure there's a ruthlessness in him behind the scenes so I know this isn't important but it still pisses me off)
Excellent post. I agree.

Here's one just for a laugh.

The Treble Was A Fluke ;)

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Chelsea have proved stability isn't the key to success. Which was my original point with regards to stability being overrated. Money had nothing to do with my point, any team that wants to be successful has to spend money. Stick your green smilies up your arse.
Money is very relevant, especially when you choose Chelsea as your example. If they were unable to spend the money they do then they wouldn't be successful. City and Chelsea are able to throw huge money at any problem to achieve success. United, on the other hand, won't. Maybe in the short term but not in the long term. Therefore attempting to find stability at a club like United is very important. Just as it would be at Dortmund or other clubs like that. You can't change manager constantly if you are unable to fund their 'vision', which no doubt will be different to their predecessors.

Stick your plastic-club ideologies up your arse.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Money is very relevant, especially when you choose Chelsea as your example. If they were unable to spend the money they do then they wouldn't be successful. City and Chelsea are able to throw huge money at any problem to achieve success. United, on the other hand, won't. Maybe in the short term but not in the long term. Therefore attempting to find stability at a club like United is very important. Just as it would be at Dortmund or other clubs like that. You can't change manager constantly if you are unable to fund their 'vision', which no doubt will be different to their predecessors.

Stick your plastic-club ideologies up your arse.
Hardly plastic-club ideologies, if you don't spend you fall behind. As Arsenal have proved.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Ah yes, the green smiley. Brilliant.

Arsenal haven't been successful, yet have stuck by their manager. Where's your counter argument there?
You have taken two separate pieces of information and drawn a causal relationship between them based on nothing.

There is no reason to believe that Arsenal would have been better off if they changed their manager. If he had been given the same budget as Wenger, almost any other manager would most likely have failed miserably.

Also, Chelsea enjoyed great success under their first spell with Mourinho, winning two PL titles on the trot. They then sacked him because of their retarded way of hiring / sacking managers, and the following years they have won the PL a grand total of one time. Im pretty sure they would have won more PLs in those years if they had stuck with Mourinho.

Important addendum: I do not think we should give Moyes another season barring major improvements in the last third of the season.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
- A season of hardship and shite will be good for the soul of the Caf and the club.
- The personel we lose this Summer will be the ones we need to lose.
- Fellaini will prove a successful member of our starting 11.
- We'll end up with 3 behind RVP.
- Dave will dig in and emerge triumphant.

Rory 7

- A season of hardship and shite will be good for the soul of the Caf and the club.
- The personel we lose this Summer will be the ones we need to lose.
- Fellaini will prove a successful member of our starting 11.
- We'll end up with 3 behind RVP.
- Dave will dig in and emerge triumphant.
That's the spirit

KiD MoYeS

You have taken two separate pieces of information and drawn a causal relationship between them based on nothing.

There is no reason to believe that Arsenal would have been better off if they changed their manager. If he had been given the same budget as Wenger, almost any other manager would most likely have failed miserably.

Also, Chelsea enjoyed great success under their first spell with Mourinho, winning two PL titles on the trot. They then sacked him because of their retarded way of hiring / sacking managers, and the following years they have won the PL a grand total of one time. Im pretty sure they would have won more PLs in those years if they had stuck with Mourinho.

Important addendum: I do not think we should give Moyes another season barring major improvements in the last third of the season.
I agree here, yes. But this ideology that sticking with Moyes will breed success is a non starter, like you've said. Chelsea have proven that stability isn't key to success, for them anyway. Maybe it is different for us, maybe it isn't. We've been in an incredibly unique position of having the same manager for over two decades, only this new era will shine a light on what policy works best for us.

pocco

loco
Hardly plastic-club ideologies, if you don't spend you fall behind. As Arsenal have proved.
I agree. But unless you've got seriously big money to spend every season, then you need to try and stick by one manager who can build a team over time that will last for a number of years. Whilst that team is in decline, you've hopefully planned ahead and brought in the right replacements. That's where stability is important.

KiD MoYeS

I agree. But unless you've got seriously big money to spend every season, then you need to try and stick by one manager who can build a team over time that will last for a number of years. Whilst that team is in decline, you've hopefully planned ahead and brought in the right replacements. That's where stability is important.
I just don't know how much emphasis we can place on stability these days, most top managers move clubs every few years.

pocco

loco
I agree here, yes. But this ideology that sticking with Moyes will breed success is a non starter, like you've said. Chelsea have proven that stability isn't key to success, for them anyway. Maybe it is different for us, maybe it isn't. We've been in an incredibly unique position of having the same manager for over two decades, only this new era will shine a light on what policy works best for us.
You've got it all mixed up. Nobody is saying that if you stick with Moyes it will bring success, just that he might take time to prove whether he can bring success. Two completely different things.

KiD MoYeS

Probably true, but it wasnt your initial argument.

Would you sack a manager with a proven track list of results and trophies in Moyes' position? Someone like Mourinho, Guardiola or Ancelotti?
Would I personally, no. But a lot would. Some Arsenal fans have been calling for Wenger's head for years, which I thought was wrong. As for the suggestion would a different manager have brought success in the same baron period, probably not, no. But Wenger spent big in the summer on Özil, so lets see what they do.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Welbeck, Jones and Smalling are all overrated players that will never be important players in a title challenging squad.

Moyes' main failure is not about tactics or substitutions, but his glaring inability to make proven players perform to their standards. Not once does he put underperforming players out of the team or give youngsters a chance. Loaning out Zaha is the best example of this. Our wingers are performing like turds for months on end, and he sends away the one player we have who could probably give them a kick up their arse.

Our midfield is easily good enough to challenge the top 3, if we just stop playing an ancient form of 4-4-2

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Would I personally, no. But a lot would. Some Arsenal fans have been calling for Wenger's head for years, which I thought was wrong. As for the suggestion would a different manager have brought success in the same baron period, probably not, no. But Wenger spent big in the summer on Özil, so lets see what they do.
We are in agreement then! Your first post made it seem like you think its a good strategy to sack managers that perform poorly quickly regardless of their name or track record,like Chelsea and City do. If Pellegrini had City out of the top 4 he would have been gone already.

KiD MoYeS

We are in agreement then! Your first post made it seem like you think its a good strategy to sack managers that perform poorly quickly regardless of their name or track record,like Chelsea and City do. If Pellegrini had City out of the top 4 he would have been gone already.
No, my point addressed Moyes and this ideology that because he's been given time and the comfort of stability that he'll come good.

Revan

Assumptionman
A good manager for a long time in a single club is usually better than changing a few good (equally good) managers during the same time. It is a very true and logical thing.

What I don't agree though, is that we should try with all costs to have a manager on long term without being sure on his other qualities. If he is good, he'll stay here. There are only a few clubs who are in equal stature to United, so if we don't sack him, he won't leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.