"Up to 11 players now want to leave United after becoming disillusioned with life at the club."

TheGame

To be fair that would have been a mad mad mad thing to say. I think people need to let go of Donny, the bloke has failed here and people seem to not want to put any of that blame at his door and make it about everyone else. We've had players flop here in the last few years, but to this level? He's done astonishingly poor.
How can you call him a failure when he's basically had feck all games to prove what he can do. :houllier:

mctrials23

They're not right. I sit and watch these feckers jog about every week and look disinterested. I know what effort looks like. They've (some of them) had LVG, Jose, Ole and now Rangnick. The only one that didn't seem to get any pushback from players was Ole (even when we were in many of our ruts under him) and, guess what? He's possibly the worst coach of the lot and protected them after every poor performance, allowing them to put in minimal effort. He retained so many average players, in turn giving out new contracts and more money to reward their mediocrity. He turned a blind eye to Pogba and his shenanigans. I could go on all day.

It is no coincidence that they are kicking off now that somebody is here that is probably giving them a few home truths and not accepting their mediocrity.
Exactly. I think Ole has just made the problem even worse. I think Mourinho is a manager out of time these days. He thrived in a time before players had all the power and when giving your all for the manager and team was the norm not something that had to be carefully cultivated. He suggested many times that the players just weren't doing what they were told and there is only so much you can do when players ignore you or do stupid things on the pitch. I don't think Mourinho was the right man for the job but he sure as hell was thrown under the bus by the players as usual.

Ole comes in and the players are given even more power and Ole is their mate. Christ, they even came second in the league. Wow. Proves that Ole and the players have something about them. Ignore the consistently awful and disjointed performances for probably 60-70% of our games under Ole. Ignore the fact that we are consistently outplayed by the minnows of the league, its OK because we are winning. Ignore the fact that Liverpool had half their first team out for chunks of last season and Chelsea had as bad a manager as us.

I felt borderline insane for the past 3 years under Ole as I watched people on here shout down anyone that suggested we didn't play well if we won. When people suggested that Ole was going nowhere and wasn't coaching the players or building any sort of recognisable system that any other top team would consider viable. When people suggested that a title challenge this season was a pipe dream if you added Ronaldo to a dysfunctional outfit or that perhaps Sancho wouldn't thrive in a team that is almost the complete opposite of the Dortmund side he excelled in.

As others have said. I would issue an edict from the top that no one is safe. If Rangnick needs to bin off 6 of our first team then go for it. I think that his style of football would be better with youth players who are willing to work their asses off than the current bunch who barely move. Rangnick clearly abandoned the press after the first half of the first game because the players were so unfit and incapable of maintaining it for any length of time. They have now seemingly downed tools. Pathetic from the players.

GreatDane

That would not replace 13 players during covid
In that case the match would be postponed, and imo we should not hoard players just in case covid should hit us.
And our bloated squad is causing upset as players can't see a way into the team.
Smaller squad with hungry players who actually have a chance to break into the first team with hard work.

Delano

Worrying thing with our transfer record is we'd also bungle their replacements. It's pretty poor for a club that spends this much. If anything we might be even better with less, or rather the incompetent ones spending the money might be better if they didn't get to spend 150m every summer. Who the hell gets that much and comes back with AWB and Maguire level of talent. Total downgrade, Jose wanted Maguire because he was a lowblock fanatic. What happens when we push up against a top side in the CL KO stages?
You're right our record in the transfer market is woeful, but Rangnicks isnt. Clearing the decks and getting the next Mane, Firmino, Kimmich, Upamecano, Haaland instead of spending fortunes on players at their peak, is where he can add value.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Dont need sources to tell us, we already know that Henderson, Martial, Lingard, VdB and Pogba all want to leave as they've all said via their agents one way or another. We know Cavani is definitely planning to leave at the end of the season. Dalot has been trying to leave for a while. Mata is planning on leaving as far as I know. Jones was said to be wanting to leave to find first team football again.

So there's 9 players who definitely want to leave. Then the two more speculative ones are Bailly and probably Ronaldo - based on us not getting CL football next season.
Then let them go, along with anyone else who is unhappy. They're all overpaid, underworked pre-Madonna fans anyway.

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean is it any surprise there's some unrest?

The club has lost Ole, Carrick and McKenna in the space of a week. All have been at the club for a pretty long time and by all accounts were well liked.

In that space of time we've had a new set of coaches, COVID isolation and a lack of time on the training pitch.

I'm not surprised everything is disjointed at the moment however the leaks to the press are frustrating.

Despite what many were saying here we would have been better trying to retain one of Carrick or McKenna to keep some stability.

Literally the whole set up has left in the middle of a season.

Greck

You're right our record in the transfer market is woeful, but Rangnicks isnt. Clearing the decks and getting the next Mane, Firmino, Kimmich, Upamecano, Haaland instead of spending fortunes on players at their peak, is where he can add value.
For me, Rangnick has to stay as an exec. He'd instantly be the most clued up person upstairs but also like his bringing discipline. I can't believe these guys got to go vacation in dubai midseason. I get the warm weather recovery but away from structure, discipline and monitoring they'll just end up partying it up.

Jezpeza

The DVB signing never made much sense.

DVB was on a shortlist of players for the AM/No 10 role. We then fecked up the first window under Ole - and then Bruno arrived (he was also on that shortlist) in January. And then - it seems to me, at least - we ended up buying DVB anyway (even though he was essentially some kind of back-up for Bruno in terms of what we needed), maybe because he was already on the radar and we had talked to him/his/people/Ajax...and maybe also because we couldn't get anyone else. Feck knows what they all thought.

But I don't think DVB was ever intended as a Pogba replacement. Ole never fully abandoned the idea of using Pogba in a deeper role and at the point where DVB first became interesting for him, his idea was obviously to partner Pogba with someone in the middle - and then add a No 10 of some description.
i agree with a lot of that but he should have been put into the team more regularly when it became obvious pogba wouldnt sign. Imagine the start of next season we could be down to Bruno rotating with Pereira at 10 or maybe kids without investment there. And its made worse by the fact that we have several other areas we need investment. We should loan Donny to another PL team to see if he can play his way into form Imo

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I mean is it any surprise there's some unrest?

The club has lost Ole, Carrick and McKenna in the space of a week. All have been at the club for a pretty long time and by all accounts were well liked.
The players have themselves to blame for this.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The players so desperate to leave, that not a single one apart from Martial have had any offers to take them away. I hope the club make all those that want to leave hand in transfer requests so they wont get there loyalty bonus

Wonder if the club will wait until the last day of the window to sell/loan and not be in a position to fill the void?

Any team the size of Utd would be trying to turn the season around by selling and buying but it seems we have already written the season off. Small team mentality from those in charge yet nothing surprises me.

yipthatman

How can you call him a failure when he's basically had feck all games to prove what he can do. :houllier:
It's probably for another thread but hasn't he played about 1600 minutes in all comps for United? More than enough to show what you are about.

Ixion

We've had players flop here in the last few years, but to this level? He's done astonishingly poor.
You seem to be suggesting Donny is the biggest flop we've had in the last few years when Sanchez was here...

Hedgehog72

i cant understand why Lingard isn't getting a run in the team. On loan he proved to be one of the top players in a very good West Ham team. He just needs the confidence of getting regular games and he will be a top player for us. If we didn't want to play him, we shouldn't have taken him back. Makes zero sense to me. Its not like we are playing really well and he cant get in team. We are playing shit and he is still on bench. Martial and Pogba have had plenty of opportunities and we need rid of them.

HailtotheKing

It's probably for another thread but hasn't he played about 1600 minutes in all comps for United? More than enough to show what you are about.
You’ve seen his performances. Have any of them been anywhere near as bad as some of McFred’s? Yet they’ve been given game after game to find form. So why hasn’t Donny. Also, when Donny ha started have you seen him absolutely gassed as though he can’t run around? It’s total crap. Rangnick has only been here 5 minutes so it’s still possible he’ll play him. But these press releases are slightly worrying. Either because Trey are genuine or more likely because Donny is already going and they’re trying to save face. No one can call Donny a flop because we’ve never had a chance to see what he can do given consecutive games in a first team as opposed to 5 mins every month or 90 in the reserves with Matic at center back. When he’s played with Matic he’s looked good. He’s also been man of the match or fans man of the match on a number of occasions for such few opportunities. If we played a midfield 3 he’d be fine. We need control of games which we’re not getting with our current formations. I hope Donny gets a chance to show what he can do. It’s shameful how he was treated by Ole. And if he has to go I hope he gets to show what he can do at another premier league club just to prove the doubters wrong, though not at our cost.

Zevvythered

For me Donny is everything that is wrong with United right now!!

the signing made little sense and right from the start it was obvious that Ole
A) Didn’t want him
B) Didn’t rate

Now he is getting even less minutes under RR, and to cap it all we hear today that
he struggles in training with the physical aspect of playing in the Premiership.

Surely a competent scouting team would have picked this up straight away

tomaldinho1

For me Donny is everything that is wrong with United right now!!

the signing made little sense and right from the start it was obvious that Ole
A) Didn’t want him
B) Didn’t rate

Now he is getting even less minutes under RR, and to cap it all we hear today that
he struggles in training with the physical aspect of playing in the Premiership.

Surely a competent scouting team would have picked this up straight away
Are we still ignoring the fact Ole convinced him to join (which Ole also confirmed)?

marcus agrippa

That may be true but I don’t think you can deny there is a problem with the players from an attitude, effort and application perspective. There clearly needs to be a clear out. Even if you think (fancifully) all of the reports are BS, you really think from a performance standpoint this mix of players is working?
Please pay attention to what I wrote.

I've never denied there's a problem with the players.

I've never called the reports BS. But you need to check the credibility of who's saying what. Daily Star is not Stone, Ducker, or Hirst, or Wheeler or Ladyman, journalists I know from past experience have connections at the club that feed them legit stories.

What operators like Daily Star like to do (again, from past experience), is glom onto credible reporters' stories and then add a twist of their own to sensationalize things.

So I'll never believe a word the Daily Star says (about Ronaldo). You're welcome to believe everything written.

Last edited:

AussieDevil

I think the important thing to remember is because we have a bloated squad, we could easily get rid of 7-8 players and only bring in 2-3.

I’d be getting rid of Martial, Lingard, Pogba, Cavani, Bailly and Mata at all costs. I’d be selling Henderson with a buyback clause.

I personally think we need new fullbacks, Shaw has had two good patches of form in 8 years, and AWB is just not good enough with the ball. But at best we could replace one of them.

Hannibal and Laird should be with the first team.

Withnail

Successive managers haven't deemed him worthy of a run out so he's obviously not showing much in training and hasn't been up to much when he has gotten a chance.

I think it's fair to say he's been a failure at United thus far.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Whats that? The whole thing was absolute rubbish and made up.....yet a load of so called fans lapped it up as they need to pour scourn on the club any which way they can?

Said all along it is complete rubbish, people should not be taken in so easily by these reports....

crossy1686

career ending
Whats that? The whole thing was absolute rubbish and made up.....yet a load of so called fans lapped it up as they need to pour scourn on the club any which way they can?

Said all along it is complete rubbish, people should not be taken in so easily by these reports....
Yeah Luke Shaw was on a wind up as well, they all had a laugh about it in the dressing room.

Tallis

I think we should get rid of RR (he was a mistake) and let Ronaldo leave. Also, let Pogba, and Lingard leave. Let leaders develop. I am happy to have Carrick back and lead the team for the rest of the season. A well knit Man Utd can and will finish top 4.

Ixion

I think we should get rid of RR (he was a mistake) and let Ronaldo leave. Also, let Pogba, and Lingard leave. Let leaders develop. I am happy to have Carrick back and lead the team for the rest of the season. A well knit Man Utd can and will finish top 4.
If top 4 is all you want then yeah this group of players probably suits you. They're not winning league titles though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Are we still ignoring the fact Ole convinced him to join (which Ole also confirmed)?
Actually can't believe people still believe this. Was clearly not chosen by Ole at all. Ole probably went along with it as he wasn't one to kick up a fuss with the owners.

If he really wanted him he'd have played him a lot more. Without doubt.

Club signing written all over it. Never in my life have I seen a managers choice for new signing be frozen out like him. Don't believe the BS we are fed at all.

romufc

No, its literally Fred clearing his name saying it wasnt him. None of the fans even thought it was Fred.

When so many reports come out at the same time, there is obviously a problem, even Ralf hinted to that in the presser.

He also mentioned some contracts are coming to end and some in contracts want to leave...

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I don't disagree, however I'm unsure why people are surprised the dressing room, and club, is unsettled.

It's too much change in a short period of time. Bound to be issues.
I suppose you’re right. ActuallyI know you’re right but still at the core, the players got the staff sacked so how they get to be indignant when they end up with someone else is rich. They can all do one.

AndySmith1990

What attributes does Carrick have that Rangnick doesn't? I expect your rationale is you want to bring the feel good vibes back and pander to the players laziness.