"Up to 11 players now want to leave United after becoming disillusioned with life at the club."

AneRu

I actually liked the idea of having a British core to bring back the gritty, humble values of our old dressing rooms but I knew Ole and Phelan bungled it up from that first summer where they went after every British player available. Fergie would never spend 80m on Maguire. He only went into club record territory for the rooneys and ferdinands not the ones with values overinflated by their nationality. Leicester would have been the first ones to tell us he wasn't worth that. SAF got Smalling and Jones for 10m and Young for 18m, absolute bargains back then, even considering inflation 50m for AWB was just pissing money. SAF would have walked away.

That officially put us in the territory of buying British for the sake of it. Ole that summer would be the type to pay a world record fee for Andy carroll and charlie adams. I include Phelan in that sham because he was reportedly a central figure in the transfer strategy and reportedly even wanted to be the DoF figure at the club. We now have a faction of homegrown players that aren't even that great yet reported to be part of the dressing room divisions Shaw alluded to.
The Maguire and AWB deals still stink even now, three years later. The cost a lot, I wouldn't have a problem with say paying £150m for Kane in 2018 because you'd know he will deliver but we paid record fees for these players knowing their flaws. Now we can't move forward, every big team has offensive fullbacks which allows them to have more central players, City and Liverpool can put as many as five or six players in the box because their fullbacks can deliver the ball we can't. They can even crow the midfield and still remain fluid and maintain width, we can't.

The money spent on these players means you can't just offload them, not when you also need £100m for the midfield. We are stuck because the owners won't allow for the necessary bravery needed to get this team back on track.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The Maguire and AWB deals still stink even now, three years later. The cost a lot, I wouldn't have a problem with say paying £150m for Kane in 2018 because you'd know he will deliver but we paid record fees for these players knowing their flaws. Now we can't move forward, every big team has offensive fullbacks which allows them to have more central players, City and Liverpool can put as many as five or six players in the box because their fullbacks can deliver the ball we can't. They can even crow the midfield and still remain fluid and maintain width, we can't.

The money spent on these players means you can't just offload them, not when you also need £100m for the midfield. We are stuck because the owners won't allow for the necessary bravery needed to get this team back on track.
Maybe some of this lot need to contemplate about if RR had come in a lot earlier most of them would not be Manchester United players. They have been extremely lucky that the clubs recruitment has been run by people who go by what is on fan forums and twitter rumours.

choccy77

At this point in time, these players should just say nothing, because everything they say, is the opposite to how they perform on the pitch.

Win games, win trophies then speak.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Pressing problems a real headache for Ralf Rangnick at Manchester United
Unhappiness with tactics, the manager’s assistant and Cristiano Ronaldo are cited amid unrest and confusion at Old Trafford

...senior players, having experienced Chris Armas’s coaching, are unimpressed by the former New York Red Bulls and Toronto FC manager appointed as his assistant by Rangnick, whose thinking and decision making are consequently being questioned. But while there are strong claims that the German’s training methods are causing some discontent, a few are hardly enamoured of Cristiano Ronaldo.

Since his arrival in the summer, Ronaldo’s presence can be seen as a boon for United’s emerging talent due to positive interactions with junior squad members. Others, despite his 14 goals, see him as an aloof signing who illuminates the executive’s muddled thinking. If there are grumbles about Ronaldo’s static play, there is also confidence that Rangnick possesses the backbone to drop United’s superstar forward if he decides that is required.

...Ronaldo’s ageing legs suggest he might be a fall guy in the efforts to make United an energised, harrying side, but Mason Greenwood, whose five goals make him United’s joint-second highest scorer with Bruno Fernandes, is among those now considered expendable instead.

Against Wolves, Greenwood was the sole outfield player who performed to the Rangnick blueprint. Yet the 20-year-old was substituted on the hour, a jarring moment that provoked further questions regarding the manager’s reputation for being a clear-eyed watcher of players.

Greenwood’s whirring feet, menacing passes and ability to close down fast appeared an ideal fit for Rangnick. When asked why Greenwood had lasted barely an hour he replied: “His effort and performance was not outstanding but he was one of the better players today.”

Rangnick chose not to replace the faltering Jadon Sancho, the other “No 10” in his 4-2-2-2.

...Rangnick has demanded more consistency from Greenwood and said the youngster still needs to develop physically. If the latter part is a job for the club’s sports science department, the former is tricky if you are being substituted when performing close to your best.
More "leaks" today - this time from Jamie Jackson in The Guardian.

In summary:
  • Some senior players are questioning Rangnick and Armas... and don't like Ronaldo.
  • Ralf not keen on Greenwood and subbing him off has made players not keen on Ralf.

georgipep

Usually I would agree with you. However, it's not like we're ripping up the league right now and we've been struggling the whole season. We have players that struggle to complete a 5 yard pass. I struggle to see how DVB can offer something worse than what's already on offer. We're playing Rashford, Sancho, Bruno and Greenwood as number 10s, it's not like they've been world class this season.
All 4 of the players you mentioned are capable of sublime moments and the opponent has to dedicate at least one player to mark them. Can you say the same for Donny?

Greck

"...senior players, having experienced Chris Armas’s coaching, are unimpressed by the former New York Red Bulls and Toronto FC manager"

What were the players expecting from a midseason interim hire? Bayern's entire coaching staff? This isn't a complaint that needs to be relayed to the press unless the player is very petty or looking for reasons to complain.

The Ronaldo stuff is worrying though because his rotation is something we can all agree may become necessary, if it hasn't already. Ole took us full circle from a donkey that thought he was above rotation (Lukaku) to an ill-fitting legend that's also above rotation. The ego situation in the squad right now is terrible and it's coming from players that aren't even performing.

the_cliff

All 4 of the players you mentioned are capable of sublime moments and the opponent has to dedicate at least one player to mark them. Can you say the same for Donny?
The Donny I saw at Ajax, yes. As you mentioned though he may not be performing to the same level in training or whatever. Personally, I just think it's a bit ironic that our manager talks about control and yet chooses to play players that have no ball retention over probably our best player in terms of ball retention.

It's only a fool that will think why is our passing so shit and why can't we keep the ball when we're playing Rashford, Ronaldo and Bruno.

RUCK4444

"...senior players, having experienced Chris Armas’s coaching, are unimpressed by the former New York Red Bulls and Toronto FC manager"

What were the players expecting from a midseason interim hire? Bayern's entire coaching staff? This isn't a complaint that needs to be relayed to the press unless the player is very petty or looking for reasons to complain.

The Ronaldo stuff is worrying though because his rotation is something we can all agree may become necessary, if it hasn't already. Ole took us full circle from a donkey that thought he was above rotation (Lukaku) to an ill-fitting legend that's also above rotation. The ego situation in the squad right now is terrible and it's coming from players that aren't even performing.
This is Manchester United we should have top level coaches regardless.

That’s no excuse for this pathetic group of players whinging like they do but there are plenty of top coaches out there that would jump at the chance to be here.

To be honest I thought Ralf was the tactical coach and this guy Armas was more conditioning.

Is Ralf as hands on with the coaching like some of us expected? Also why are the players getting so many days off if we are trying to transition to a pressing style?

I do have questions about the entire coaching approach, formation, lack of pressing etc as well as player selections.

Jackal981

And impressed by our previous clueless coaches and manager ? These fecking lot need to be torn a new one. They are happy with our previous clueless regime because they are let to do anything they want without any consequence. Maybe they are happy they got a good pat in the back by Ole and friends when they got hammered by Pool and City. Disgraceful shit these lot. And unhappy with Ronaldo ? Bet you these are leaked out by our England contingnent who has won zilch in their whole career combined. How about unhappy when your captain played like shit game after game ? Rashford putting 0 effort on the pitch ? Or how shit Wan Bissaka played every game ?

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Just hire Ten Haag, offload Ronaldo + all the players not giving their all for the club, start a fresh and build a young squad. No superstars. No Ronaldo, Haaland, Messi etc.. Just go for the players that are really hungry for success and are young and talented and give the coach 3 yrs. There is no quick fix for clubs in trouble like M.U. is right now.

Manny

Grammar Police
The more I hear that the players have an issue with Ronaldo, the more I think they aren't cut out for this club.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

That’s no excuse for this pathetic group of players whinging like they do but there are plenty of top coaches out there that would jump at the chance to be here.

To be honest I thought Ralf was the tactical coach and this guy Armas was more conditioning.

Is Ralf as hands on with the coaching like some of us expected? Also why are the players getting so many days off if we are trying to transition to a pressing style?

I do have questions about the entire coaching approach, formation, lack of pressing etc as well as player selections.
Like when we hired the former Cardiff and Molde manager? And paired him alongside the former Hull City manager and a bunch of inexperienced nobodies?

Greck

No one is quitting their cushy job for a 6 month interim gig. Even the interim manager (ralf) only came under the condition of being retained beyond in an exec role. His assistants from his old club didn't follow him. Being man united isn't enough to displace the need for job security and their means of livelihood. It's not a realistic arrangement for whatever top coach they might have wanted. We can't kidnap them, the have to actually want to come here. Players are being unreasonable on this one.

Greck

Like when we hired the former Cardiff and Molde manager? And paired him alongside the former Hull City manager and a bunch of inexperienced nobodies?
Might have also helped if Phelan was more hands on on the training pitch. He should be qualified enough for a 6 month stint but it's apparently not what he does at the club. Could have benefitted Ole as well.

RUCK4444

No one is quitting their cushy job for a 6 month interim gig. Even the interim manager (ralf) only came under the condition of being retained beyond in an exec role. His assistants from his old club didn't follow him. Being man united isn't enough to displace the need for job security and their means of livelihood. It's not a realistic arrangement for whatever top coach they might have wanted. We can't kidnap them, the have to actually want to come here. Players are being unreasonable on this one.
Not at the top 6 clubs no, but there will be coaches in Europe at lesser clubs who have excellent experience.

That said Ralf is staying on and apparently his style is the one we will settle on, or something similar, so every chance said coaches could be retained if they do a good job.

I understand the risk element but your making out we’re shopping in the MLS for coaches is the best we can do, I disagree on that. Ralf knows this guy, only reason we’ve gotten him, but he obviously rates him as a ‘motivator’ in his words I believe (tad worrying in itself.)

dinostar77

In summary:
  • Some senior players are questioning Rangnick and Armas... and don't like Ronaldo.
  • Ralf not keen on Greenwood and subbing him off has made players not keen on Ralf.
Interesting about Greenwood as thats the opposit of what Duncan Castles reported. Who said Rangnick wants Greenwood and Sancho in the XI but has to shoehorn them into a 4222 to mitigate for Ronaldos lack of pressing and the weaknesses in Centre Midfield and defence.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
“Top level coaches” and “Top players” are phrases that promise a lot but actually mean nothing.

What we need is a tactical plan that is in line with player strengths and preferably players who want to win.

I for one have had enough of superstars at United. I’d rather we finish 6th and have a team of driven players who give their all than scrape 4th place with a disgruntled group of entitled babies.

dinostar77

The more I hear that the players have an issue with Ronaldo, the more I think they aren't cut out for this club.
Yep, Ronaldo sets ridiculous standards, those are the standards you have to aspire to, to be the best. Cant be bothered? Then leave the club to tread water elsewhere.

DomesticTadpole

Maybe somebody should tell the players that some of them are not good enough for Manchester United. Think some need taking down a peg or two.

DomesticTadpole

So… your trying to prove my point?!
This lot of have no idea who would be good enough coaches for Manchester United. In fact Ralf should drop that question on them. Who is available on a short term who you lot think is good enough coaches for you? They have lost their comfort blanket and do not like it.

georgipep

The Donny I saw at Ajax, yes. As you mentioned though he may not be performing to the same level in training or whatever. Personally, I just think it's a bit ironic that our manager talks about control and yet chooses to play players that have no ball retention over probably our best player in terms of ball retention.

It's only a fool that will think why is our passing so shit and why can't we keep the ball when we're playing Rashford, Ronaldo and Bruno.
I think control and ball retention are two of many factors when choosing the players. Being able to move, press, tackle, challenge, etc. are probably some of the other factors and I can see how both McT and Fred are far better at it than Donny. Matić is also far superior in almost every midfielder aspect, bar pace.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Interesting about Greenwood as thats the opposit of what Duncan Castles reported. Who said Rangnick wants Greenwood and Sancho in the XI but has to shoehorn them into a 4222 to mitigate for Ronaldos lack of pressing and the weaknesses in Centre Midfield and defence.
It's almost like all these journalists are making stuff up.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
So… your trying to prove my point?!
Not at all.

Maybe somebody should tell the players that some of them are not good enough for Manchester United. Think some need taking down a peg or two.
It's a bit of both really. Standards dropped and we've been accepting mediocrity for a long time. For three years, under Ole, we accepted that disjointed performances, as long as we were winning enough, were fine. Now that it's caught up to us and we've the same disjointed performances without the results, we're blaming everyone left, right and centre whilst ignoring the reason we got here in the first place.

croadyman

In summary:
Wonder if appointing Marsch would have made any different but doubt it very much

the_cliff

I think control and ball retention are two of many factors when choosing the players. Being able to move, press, tackle, challenge, etc. are probably some of the other factors and I can see how both McT and Fred are far better at it than Donny. Matić is also far superior in almost every midfielder aspect, bar pace.
Which is why I agree with the midfield 2. I just think that as one of the number 10s, DVB can definitely do a decent job especially in finding those pockets of spaces to receive the ball from the midfield 2 and his linkup with Sancho definitely has potential.

I do think he'll get his chance, just a matter of time.

croadyman

Which is why I agree with the midfield 2. I just think that as one of the number 10s, DVB can definitely do a decent job especially in finding those pockets of spaces to receive the ball from the midfield 2 and his linkup with Sancho definitely has potential.

Only happens IF Ten Hag gets the job and starting to sound like it will be Pochettino

Foxbatt

Exactly. Not for 5 months and why should they? It is obvious that United would probably have a new coach in the summer and not one of the top coaches are going to leave their jobs and come for only 6 months.
Plus apart from the very few most of them have not been coached by a top coach anyway. What do they know about top coaching?

RUCK4444

This lot of have no idea who would be good enough coaches for Manchester United. In fact Ralf should drop that question on them. Who is available on a short term who you lot think is good enough coaches for you? They have lost their comfort blanket and do not like it.
I’m not excusing the players here, at all, just pointing out that I don’t think we should be getting potentially inexperienced coaches just because Ralf is only here for a short period.

georgipep

It would be sad that his transfer would be a definite failed one if we sold him in Jan or in the coming summer, but if I were Rangnick, I would probably play Bruno and Sancho as the #10s with Cavani and Greenwood as the strikers. Maybe Donny would be my 4th rotation option for the #10, maybe the 5th (definitely after Rashford and maybe after Lingard)

Lee565

I can't help but think the board/directors deserve the current problems surrounding the club, they didn't want conte because of the supposed baggage he may have brought to the club and instead opted for a more "co-operative" manager in ragnick and yet it has turned out to have caused more negativity and problems around the club for the pr team to handle than had conte been in charge.

The United

Of course some people will make it all about Ronaldo. His playing time needs to be managed on the pitch of course. As I said before Keane was on his last legs for about a couple of years before he left, it didn't stop him from demanding the best around him and players from listening to him and doing just that. The same with the likes of Ferdinand, Vidic, Neville etc on their last legs just doing that to more junior players.

But even if they feel like Ronaldo's situation is not ideal, that still does not excuse their own individual shit performances though.

choccy77

It really seems like Poch will come to United

Ten Hag will be Liverpool or City bound year after.

I think by now the board should do the complete opposite to what they usually do.

So if Poch is their choice, they just go for Hag instead.

Their decision making is appalling

Judas

Open to offers
I'd made my peace with Poch coming eventually but had hoped and prayed we'd moved away from that option after the Ralf hiring. I can't put into words just how unenthusiastic and quite simply sad I'd be about us going for him.

I'd made my peace with Poch coming
Teach me your ways.

I'd be gutted if we got Poch. Dooms us to more years of dullness and mediocrity.

Even on an entertainment basis, there's not a person in football that I find more boring to listen to than Pochettino.

Irwin99

I recently remember reading a quote, supposedly from a player but probably media bs, moaning that people didn't recognize "just how far this team had come over the past two years". There definitely seems to be a collection of egos in the dressing room and players have a very weird sense of what United should be achieving. It's so depressing to think that yet another rebuild is needed.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
It really seems like Poch will come to United

Ten Hag will be Liverpool or City bound year after.

I think by now the board should do the complete opposite to what they usually do.

So if Poch is their choice, they just go for Hag instead.

Their decision making is appalling
Agreed; they should appoint George Costanza to the board as well :lol:

Skills

Snitch

Can you blame them? The fans cried and begged for them to "back the manager", and they in turn let Solskjaer gamble the clubs immediate future away. They gave the fans chosen manager exactly what he wanted, it still went wrong and now everyone has to just live with the consequences.