Up to a third of millennials 'face renting their entire life'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by VorZakone, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Aug 15, 2018

MadMike Full Member

Legal permanent residents (of any nationality) will be allowed to buy. They are only stopping rich foreign non-residents buying up properties through investment vehicles and driving up the prices. While also creating a shortage of rented properties in the same breath by living those properties empty.

Entirely sensible and we should have that here too.
  2. Aug 15, 2018

Vidyoyo Self-confessed coffee shop chat-up expert

So journalists.
  3. Aug 15, 2018

Silva Full Member

They vaguely make sense. Losts kept being killed in wars. G.I's were conscripted to WW2 but a lot of them when the war was being won. Silents were poor af and basically grew up with nothing and had little to no political power (this is the worst one in terms of generalisation). Boomers were part of a massive birthing boom and population growth. Millennial came of age around the year 2000. Hashtag came of age on social media. It is pointless to generalise beyond the time period they came of age in though.
  4. Aug 15, 2018

Vidic_In_Moscow rectum-faced pygmy

Supports:
    i stink
    'Journalists'
  5. Aug 15, 2018

Supports:
    i stink
    I prefer to judge people on what shows they would watch on TV and video games they played when they were a kid. If you watched a lot of Disney Channel stuff then you're inferior to me.
  6. Aug 15, 2018

Grinner Fat gutted, hairy shouldered, stinky Arse. Staff

Supports:
    Arsenal
    There has been a ton of chinese investment in California with cash buyers driving up prices in the hot areas of the state and making a fortune in rent. It's a nice way to park cash and get a decent return but fecks over the local populations.
  7. Aug 15, 2018

Supports:
    i stink
    Yeah those Chinese and Russian sons of bitches have been doing it in London for years (decades?). It's such a sweet deal that on the new build apartments they don't even bother to rent them out, just buy whole blocks of them and let them sit empty. It's a disgrace really.
  8. Aug 15, 2018

Steven7290 Full Member

In Boston as well, it has been made nearly impossible to get any decent houses around here. A basic two bedroom, two bathroom condo now cost upward of 500k even in suburban area 20 miles from the city.
  9. Aug 15, 2018

Florida Man Cartoon expert and crap superhero

Hawaii has had similar issues, but in conjunction with many mainlanders moving to the islands and driving up real estate prices.
  10. Aug 15, 2018

Classical Mechanic Full Member

It's happening in Manchester now as well. Some developments are 'investor only' with a lot being sold in China.
  11. Aug 15, 2018

Vidyoyo Self-confessed coffee shop chat-up expert

Olympic Village in Stratford felt a lot like that when I lived there.
  12. Aug 15, 2018

Raoul Admin Staff

Wages are getting outpaced by inflation and property values is the main problem imo.
  13. Aug 15, 2018

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Yeah miles platting houses now rent for about £1500-£2000pm due to people wanting to have a house close to the city they can live at Mon-Fri
  14. Aug 16, 2018

dumbo Full Member Scout

Down there in hobbit paradiso you can kind of have a go at social policy. But that aint gonna cut any black truffle mustard up here in our capitalistic nuclear inferno. What Tory then Labour then Tory - with a handy from the lib dems have done with housing in this country is fecking despicable. They/we sold our kid's futures for a fast buck/ruble/shekel.