Up top: Does anyone else prefer seeing Ighalo over Martial?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If we had a lone striker up top, then I actually prefer Ighalo right now. Its got feck all with the opposition too, its just obvious he's more of a natural striker, makes better runs, is stronger and has that poaching ability on top.

Martial can be more talented, obviously, but Ighalo just seems a better fit as a striker.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
In answer to the question in the subject line, No

hobbers

As a number 9, yes, obviously.

Martial and Rashford are inside forwards, not number 9s. And I don't think that will ever change.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As a number 9, yes, obviously.

Martial and Rashford are inside forwards, not number 9s. And I don't think that will ever change.
So how does Martial really fit in a 4321?

MUFromLTU

He's the better striker, but not better player overall. He's near to useless in the buildup plays compared to Martial. I prefer him playing vs similar oppos, however not with anything better than that.

pav1790

In general? No. In particular, when we play this system vs with Rashford and James ( sancho in future ) May be.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
One should not exclude the other. I think both can do a job, especially against weaker teams like Spurs. Ighalo as 9 and Martial LW.

hobbers

So how does Martial really fit in a 4321?
The simple answer is that he doesn't, assuming Rashford is on the pitch.

Martial has more innate talent than Rashford but he's really let him leap ahead.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The simple answer is that he doesn't, assuming Rashford is on the pitch.

Martial has more innate talent than Rashford but he's really let him leap ahead.
You play Ighalo and bench Martial? Hahahahahaha

GazTheLegend

Yes.

Martial is a better player, but he's not really a striker

Ighalo just seems to 'know' the strikers role better. He holds the ball up, then gets into position to get the next ball or make a run to make space for other players.

Martial doesn't want to hold the ball up, he wants to be running through.

I don't mind Martial as a number 9 and it's lethal with Rashford playing too but Ighalo looks like he fits our team. It's a tough one.

DickDastardly

In regards to the Martial question, it has been blatantly obvious for some time he's not a center forward.

In regards of footballing quality, Tony is miles ahead of Ighalo, and probably always will be.

The problem lies in their respective positions.

Falcow

Hes been a great signing regardless and should get 4 or 5 more goals before the season ends.

We should do these low risk loan deals more often.

Is this the same Ighalo that looks like he can't control the ball at times?
he’s a less fat and less whiney Lukuku.

With Rashford out, I’d rather Martial on the left and Ighalo upfront. Clearly Ighalo is not a top class no. 9 but neither is Martial - he’s the square peg.

Zen86

Ighalo is perfect for games like this where he can just bulldoze his way through.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Is this the same Ighalo that looks like he can't control the ball at times?
And missed all one on one chances so far in United shirt? Yes, that is him.

I mean, he can be good backup and i will not mind having him as backup if he keeps doing well but overreaction is insane

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

With Rashford out, I’d rather Martial on the left and Ighalo upfront. Clearly Ighalo is not a top class no. 9 but neither is Martial - he’s the square peg.
Square peg with 15 goals...

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's just nice having someone active inside the penalty area. How often do we get in a promising position only to have absolutely no one in the box? Shaw's all of a sudden looking a lot more dangerous because he has someone to pick out. Bruno's late runs into the box is helping with that too.

tjb

Come on, we all know Lukaku isn't fat.

pearl1337

Apples and oranges... but no.
If Martial played more liquid-like, he would be world class. Ighalo is far from, but then again, he provides more attacking options.
But, NO

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In regards to the Martial question, it has been blatantly obvious for some time he's not a center forward.

In regards of footballing quality, Tony is miles ahead of Ighalo, and probably always will be.

The problem lies in their respective positions.
I don't think anyone is arguing Ighalo being a better player than Martial.

But it's an interesting discussion as to who suits the team better as a 9.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Caf loves shiny new toys. Every player who signs for us is a new fans favourite.
You don't need to be a fan favourite to be a better striker than Martial. He's been terribly inconsistent in the 9 role for us, unsurprisingly. Before it was injury, before that it was "oh he's on the left and that's why he's not as effective", and it was Jose's fault, and before that he was raw and young.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I can see Iglaho getting 8/9 goals for us during his loan spell and earning himself a contract and scoring 2 goals in total next season.

Square peg with 15 goals...
he’s not a no. 9 though. Surely we all know that Martial as our first choice striker is not going to be good enough to consistently win trophies.

his best position is where Rashford plays.

he’s not Dong, and he’s a good player. A top class striker would benefit the team far more than just the goals scored.