Up top: Does anyone else prefer seeing Ighalo over Martial?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I don’t think Ighalo is good enough to sign on a permanent basis. We are just starved of a proper number 9. I would be disappointed if he was the striker signing in the summer:

I feel we need someone for the first team, rather than another body on the bench.

Tony247

Absolutely prefer Ighalo over Martial. Ighalo brings so much more to team.

When Rashford is fit he should start on left and Martial should be sub of either Ighalo or Rashford. But no way I would prefer Martial to start over Ighalo.

kidbob

Right now Martial should move left and Igalho should start but people forget how good Martial is with Rashford beside him. So in ideal circumstances we have Bruno, Pogba, Rashford, James with Fred/McTominay in the one team. For now though it isn't and should never be a case of Martial vs Igalho but rather that Martial moves to LW to account for the loss of Rashford.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How is it odd?
It was during the game at a time he did well enough but not exactly anything that Ighalo wasn't expected to.

Still though Martial was solid for us today.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tumbleweed.

To be continued in a few weeks no doubt.

TsuWave

Absolutely prefer Ighalo over Martial. Ighalo brings so much more to team.

When Rashford is fit he should start on left and Martial should be sub of either Ighalo or Rashford. But no way I would prefer Martial to start over Ighalo.
this post is so nuts

Raven

This post is aging like milk on a hot day. I love Ighalo as much as the next guy but Martial is different class.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Impressive hold up play today from Ighalo who probably should have come on a bit sooner. Without Rashford I still think our best forward line is

Martial.....Ighalo.....James/Greenwood

RyRy11

I hate this insistence that we have to choose one or the other. Play both, if one isnt cutting it after 60 minutes get the other one on. Its not rocket science.

The Purley King

This post is aging like milk on a hot day. I love Ighalo as much as the next guy but Martial is different class.
Not as a centre forward he isn’t. Today when Igalho came on I don’t think he gave it away once. Won a couple of headers held it up brought people into play. That is what a centre forward does.
Good problem to have though as martial did ok today , one of his better games.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I'd rather see Phil Jones at number 9 than Martial, and he's worse on the left. He would have been the first player I would have let go in the summer! I really can't understand why people seem to hold him in such high regard. His attitude and work ethic stink!
No white text?

Raven

Not as a centre forward he isn’t. Today when Igalho came on I don’t think he gave it away once. Won a couple of headers held it up brought people into play. That is what a centre forward does.
Good problem to have though as martial did ok today , one of his better games.
Yes, he is. Martial is a top CF who put in a top CF performance today.

The Purley King

Yes, he is. Martial is a top CF who put in a top CF performance today.
I thought he did well today but he remains a long way away from being a top CF.
Personally I don’t think he’ll get there but I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.

Raven

I thought he did well today but he remains a long way away from being a top CF.
Personally I don’t think he’ll get there but I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.
A long way away? He's banged in 16 goals this season in a team that up until 6 weeks ago was devoid of any creativity. He's scored all sorts of goals and improved his off the ball movement, work ethic, heading and left foot. He's likely to finish this season on 25 ish goals if he stays fit. Why do you think he's so far off being a top CF?

Amerifan

I’m not a fan of the lone striker unless you have a massive presence as a target. An Aguero or Ronaldo or similar. Otherwise, the poor guy gets swamped and ends up holding up until he’s joined by the rest of the attackers anyway. So why set him up for failure? Better a formation with two or three on the front line instead.

The Purley King

A long way away? He's banged in 16 goals this season in a team that up until 6 weeks ago was devoid of any creativity. He's scored all sorts of goals and improved his off the ball movement, work ethic, heading and left foot. He's likely to finish this season on 25 ish goals if he stays fit. Why do you think he's so far off being a top CF?
His work rate is still low, he still can't hold the ball up with his back to goal and he often misses the final pass.
I just don't think he'll be good enough for a team aspiring to win the CL. I think he played well yesterday as I said, was great to see him celebrating the goals and he seemed to be more engaged with things. Easy to do that in a derby, I hope he shows the same determination from here on in. I'd love to be proved wrong about him, just don't think I will be.

Raven

His work rate is still low, he still can't hold the ball up with his back to goal and he often misses the final pass.
I just don't think he'll be good enough for a team aspiring to win the CL. I think he played well yesterday as I said, was great to see him celebrating the goals and he seemed to be more engaged with things. Easy to do that in a derby, I hope he shows the same determination from here on in. I'd love to be proved wrong about him, just don't think I will be.
Ahh right, so in other words, you have an idea of the player he is in your mind and nothing he does will change that.

Bestietom

If we had a lone striker up top, then I actually prefer Ighalo right now. Its got feck all with the opposition too, its just obvious he's more of a natural striker, makes better runs, is stronger and has that poaching ability on top.

Martial can be more talented, obviously, but Ighalo just seems a better fit as a striker.
Would like to see both up there when we need to press for goals.

The Purley King

Ahh right, so in other words, you have an idea of the player he is in your mind and nothing he does will change that.
I know what I've seen over the last few years - and it hasn't been good enough. If he ups his work rate and improves with holding the ball up I'd be very happy to change my opinion.

Raven

I know what I've seen over the last few years - and it hasn't been good enough. If he ups his work rate and improves with holding the ball up I'd be very happy to change my opinion.
I suggest you watch more closely because you're missing obvious improvements this season. His workrate has seen a huge upturn whilst his hold up play has been generally excellent.

TRUERED89

His work rate is still low,
Really? Did you not see him in the last 2 games or even beyond? He's been tracking back, following runners, clearing corners/crosses, pressing and on top of that fecking scoring? What do you want from the man? Blood?..

SER19

Martial is going a long way to proving my doubts about him wrong. His physicality yesterday was brilliant.

The Purley King

I suggest you watch more closely because you're missing obvious improvements this season. His workrate has seen a huge upturn whilst his hold up play has been generally excellent.
I think we are just going to disagree on this one. Just one example, he was utterly atrocious against Chelsea before and after scoring that header (which was great and I'd love to see more of it).
Could not hold the ball up, constantly gave it away and did not really try to win it back once he'd lost it. The goal masked a lot of deficiencies in his game.

Raven

I think we are just going to disagree on this one. Just one example, he was utterly atrocious against Chelsea before and after scoring that header (which was great and I'd love to see more of it).
Could not hold the ball up, constantly gave it away and did not really try to win it back once he'd lost it. The goal masked a lot of deficiencies in his game.
So youd rather look at one game in isolation rather than the body of work? His hold up play has been generally excellent this season, a couple of off games are not going to change that.

Denis' cuff

listen pal, I’m a Tony sceptic with the best of them but there’s no way he was atrocious vs Chavs. He tracked and tackled back, scored a goal and was a threat, constant enough to make them wary of going forward.

He isn’t here to hold the ball up. Creative players are always prone to give the ball away as opposed to those who constantly pass sideways and backwards. He’s doing ok. Last few games he’s been doing a lot more than ok.

fecking people on here who refuse to change their view for fear of being previously mistaken.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
They are very different attackers, but generally speaking - hells no. Martial is more creative, explosive, and better finisher.

That said, Ighalo is an experienced poacher who, in Ole's own words, Martial can learn a thing or two from. Ighalo is starting to look like he was a perfect signing for us, to help remedy immediate issues + offer something different in the attack. Absolutely love how passionate he's about the club, as well. More of that in our players, please.

The Purley King

listen pal, I’m a Tony sceptic with the best of them but there’s no way he was atrocious vs Chavs. He tracked and tackled back, scored a goal and was a threat, constant enough to make them wary of going forward.

He isn’t here to hold the ball up. Creative players are always prone to give the ball away as opposed to those who constantly pass sideways and backwards. He’s doing ok. Last few games he’s been doing a lot more than ok.

fecking people on here who refuse to change their view for fear of being previously mistaken.
I'll be perfectly happy to change my view when I see some consistent evidence for change.
A CF is definitely there to hold the ball up, he must improve on that.
If he plays like he did yesterday for the rest of the season I'll be happy to change my view of him. He was very good yesterday, but that is just one game and a Man Utd CF should be at that level the whole time.

Keefy18

Yeah this is a feckin bizarre thread alright.

I had no issue with the Ighalo signing when many were losing their minds about it being an embarrassment.

I like Ighalo also, seems to have a smashing attitude and loves the club completely! He also brings us something different to our other forwards.

But better than Martial? Nah!

Very odd after Martial had one of his best games for us to date yesterday. Fed absolute scraps but he made the absolute most of every situation he could.

Raven

Yeah this is a feckin bizarre thread alright.

I had no issue with the Ighalo signing when many were losing their minds about it being an embarrassment.

I like Ighalo also, seems to have a smashing attitude and loves the club completely! He also brings us something different to our other forwards.

But better than Martial? Nah!

Very odd after Martial had one of his best games for us to date yesterday. Fed absolute scraps but he made the absolute most of every situation he could.
Some people really don't like Martial.

Chinchy98

I'm not sure I agree with this, in the last few weeks it has been hit and miss granted, but over the season he has proved he is able to do this competently. Yes he is not Fellaini who may as well have had a 3rd boot on his chest, but this is a facet that he possesses in my opinion. You need only watch 2/3/4 games including other top teams, #9's/#10's are just as error prone in possession as ours Martial/Ighalo/Rash - See Lukaku for heavens sake, some more, some less, but I'd say Martial's hold up play is par for the course. There is a narrative now that he is selfish because of an isolated incident yesterday, I recall many commentators stating he hasn't got the selfish/predatory (shooting rather than passing) instincts. Aguero was hooked after 60 yesterday and the media haven't mentioned it once, the lad is an easy target and will be Pogba's replacement as public enemy number 1. A) Poor English - so unable to spout the lip service we see from players after a defeat, you know the "didn't want it enough/need to stick together/we'll work hard in training, et al, B) a Neutral personality on the field (See his IG story from Rashfords Goal v PSG for his non-existent "passion" and C) a consistent grilling from Keane, Neville, Scholes and Co have allowed for a ground swell of apathy towards him.

Yes there have been games where he may as well not have been playing. Almost every player barring the aliens Messi/Ronaldo have sticky patches, we have a solid talent who could have a good next 5-7 years, he may not ever appease the "pashun" merchants where the core metric when assessing a player is how hard they run. But that 's life.

Reactions: jojojo

Godfather

He has scored some absolute beauties this season. It's a shame he gets so little service.