Up top: Does anyone else prefer seeing Ighalo over Martial?

Hawks2008

Martial is more talented, but Ighalo has actual presence in the penalty area. A striker should be doing their best work within the width of the goal and Martial is rarely in such positions.

I think ultimately Martial is not a striker and with Rashford out should play on the left.

gza the genius

I think we’re weak enough on the left that with Rashford out it would make sense to push Martial left and Ighalo central. If only one is starting though it has to be Martial - Ighalo is obviously a more natural 9 but Martial is just so much better than him that it doesn’t really matter.

Sort’ve a weird time to bring this up anyway with the scoring run Martial is on despite not actually playing that well.

SAFMUTD

Lets be honest Ighalo has been good in the matches he's played, but it has been against low low opposition. Brugges and Derby are not exactly great parameters to make a decision.

Steerpike

If we had a lone striker up top, then I actually prefer Ighalo right now. Its got feck all with the opposition too, its just obvious he's more of a natural striker, makes better runs, is stronger and has that poaching ability on top.

Martial can be more talented, obviously, but Ighalo just seems a better fit as a striker.
It's hard to answer this as they offer different things. I actually like having both, and I think we should look to replace Ighalo with a similar kind of striker if he moves on at the end of the season.

Ighalo will remain fairly central and do a better job of holding the ball up and being a point to build from. His more conventional positioning for a number 9 will also mean that he's more likely to be in place to score from crosses and get the scruffy close range goals. Of course, with less movement, he's easier for central defenders to mark.

Martial moves around a lot more, and particularly favours cutting inside from the left. Playing as a lone striker, this movement can be a disadvantage as it makes him harder for midfielders to find, and also means that crosses into the box often don't have anyone waiting to convert them. The benefit is that it makes him harder to mark, particularly for conventional central defenders, and he can be very good if he gets the ball in space and can turn and run at defenders (particularly in counter-attacking situations).

cyril C

Depend on opposition. Against Norwich or other weaker side, Iglaho, because he can create chances (muscle it out) for himself, and help out on set piece. If against good side, then a mobile striker like Rashford or Martial would be better, use Iglaho as impact sub

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
No, but if Ighalo can keep scoring these poachers' goals it might persuade Martial to stay in the box a lot more. If he wants to be our number 9, he needs to start playing more like a number 9.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ed is in dreamland right now. If Ighalo turns out to be a success, he can reward him with a full-time contract and forego the option of buying a striker in the summer.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.
Not if We plan to sign Sancho for 200m. Edsloadsamoney.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Martial can come up with moments of magic and creates chances out of nothing. Ighalo has presence in the box and plays like traditional 9.

Would go with Martial as 9 and Ighalo as back up for now.

abailey123

No.
However I would be tempted to make Ighalo permanent.
We need squad depth and a striker whose not going to be over concerned about sitting on the bench and coming in when required.
He wouldn’t cost a lot, would allow us to invest more on a right sided forward and a central midfielder.
He also seems like he wants to be here, likes to press and does have an eye for goal.

Zed 101

An easy yes for me, Ighalo occupies the 2 central defenders like a proper 9, not on about him scoring but by occupying those defenders he free up space for other players, allows gaps form through balls and runs, in addition his hold up play and touches around the box have been good (generally better than Martial's, whose hold up play is non-existent).

Without that no. 9 doing a no. 9 job then nearly everything we do goes down the left, because this normally involves the talent Rashord and Martial there is nothing to stop one of the central defenders coming across to back up the RB, blocking up the left... it becomes very predictable and easy to defend against, hence our performances against lower table opposition, Ighalo may not be the best no. 9 in the world, but right now he is the only one we have, he loves the club and has a brilliant attitude.

The answer is based on which type of player does what we need, right now Oghalo is the only out and out striker we have near the 1st team, (I wouldn't be against signing him based on the evidence so far, providing the wage was reasonable and the fee was pretty low, we need bench players who are happy to be there).

Martial is a luxury player who does not contribute nearly enough to the team when he is not scoring.... TBH he is a bit of a wet lettuce at times, especially if things are not running for him.

If we had a team brimming with talent I would rotate Martial and Rashford down the left wing, but for me we are much better playing a proper striker up top.... kind of makes you wonder why Lukaku happened?

HowYouDoin

Just the fact this thread exists is a proof enough that Martial just isnt good enough for us.
Now Ighalo vs Martial? Hard to say. I can see the argument for both. One fits better, the other is more talented. In the end it probably doesnt make much difference.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Just the fact this thread exists is a proof enough that Martial just isnt good enough for us.
Now Ighalo vs Martial? Hard to say. I can see the argument for both. One fits better, the other is more talented. In the end it probably doesnt make much difference.
It's also about systems. Ighalo fits a system where you have one up front holding up play and scoring those strikers goals.

Martial suits the 3 pronged attack with pace. I think Ole want this more than the former. And if we're going with that central striker then there are better options. As much as I think Ighalo is becoming a fan's favourite, knowing the fickle nature of supporters, it'll just take a couple of missed chances, his head dropping etc for him to be 'shit.' 'get rid.' etc

Jimenez is a far better option for the former option- quick,brings players into play,strong, scores a variety of goals

TRUERED89

It’s Derby lads, if he does it against City (like Martial did) then there might be a debate.

btw have people forgotten Martial’s goal out of nothing against Watford already ? He’s got ammunition in the locker that Ighalo will never have.

Last edited:

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The fact that a thread such as this one exists shows how brainwashed lots of people on here are.

Inigo Montoya

The fact that a thread such as this one exists shows how brainwashed lots of people on here are.
It's more a case of euphoria that grips fans as soon as they see someone scoring. Happened with Lukaku; went from being a cult favourite to cnut within months

Lentwood

It should tell us plenty that we are even having this debate.

I like Ighalo. I think the club did the right thing by getting him in on loan. He is probably the only #9 we have. But let’s be honest, he’s not a world beater.

In my opinion, CF is still a big weakness for us right now. Rashford is a terrible #9 and should always play from the left. Greenwood has shown he is adept at playing on the right and cutting inside, although given time he COULD be a #9. Martial is doing the best impression of a #9 right now but you can see he’s not a natural and Ole himself clearly recognises this.

We’ve got to prioritise a proper #9 in the summer and that probably means Martial misses out most weeks unless he can reinvent himself as a AMR/AMC

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's also about systems. Ighalo fits a system where you have one up front holding up play and scoring those strikers goals.

Martial suits the 3 pronged attack with pace. I think Ole want this more than the former. And if we're going with that central striker then there are better options. As much as I think Ighalo is becoming a fan's favourite, knowing the fickle nature of supporters, it'll just take a couple of missed chances, his head dropping etc for him to be 'shit.' 'get rid.' etc

Jimenez is a far better option for the former option- quick,brings players into play,strong, scores a variety of goals
He's becoming a fans' favourite partly because this spell with United is going to be the highlight of his career for him, something you can't say about all our players. On top of that, at the moment he's doing exactly what he was brought in to do (although as you say, supporters can be fickle).

I know there really should be no room for sentiment, but I love seeing him in our shirt because I know he wants to be a United player first and foremost.

theklr

He's becoming a fans' favourite partly because this spell with United is going to be the highlight of his career for him, something you can't say about all our players. On top of that, at the moment he's doing exactly what he was brought in to do (although as you say, supporters can be fickle).

I know there really should be no room for sentiment, but I love seeing him in our shirt because I know he wants to be a United player first and foremost.
Not to mention his ability to do what he’s told (stay in the middle) and workrate/ethic.

He gives all he can.

Inigo Montoya

No
Rashford-Martial-Sancho
This would ^^
For the present let's go with what we have eh?
Rash-Martial-Ighalo is fine. Only drawback;they're all righties. Would love a leftie in there to give it balance

Buendia would be my choice right now.

TRUERED89

For the present let's go with what we have eh?
Rash-Martial-Ighalo is fine. Only drawback;they're all righties. Would love a leftie in there to give it balance

Buendia would be my choice right now.
Rashford would have to play on the right then, as the other two obviously can’t/won’t. Rashford-Martial-Greenwood gets me more excited with our current squad atm though. Greenwood is completely two footed, maybe even more of a lefty, so should give nice balance with him playing RW/RAM

Inigo Montoya

Rashford would have to play on the right then, as the other two obviously can’t/won’t. Rashford-Martial-Greenwood gets me more excited with our current squad atm though. Greenwood is completely two footed, maybe even more of a lefty, so should give nice balance with him playing RW/RAM
That's a great shout.

I just wouldn't want to overplay Greenwood at this stage. That seems to be the reasoning with the coaches I think. Greenwood could have come on yesterday but he elected to play Martial.

With Ighalo rotating, the striker options are looking a lot healthier

Alabaster Codify7

This is exactly what I think will happen.

It's not too far fetched.

We definitely need a striker of Ighalo's type in the squad full-time as he offers something completely different to what we have. BUT....We need one a bit better than Odion, if I'm being honest. Now, I know some will say "but Ighalo is happy to be a squad player, he won't demand a starting place" which is all well and good, but I WANT a striker to want a starting place. If that means displacing Martial as the starting striker due to good form, so be it because guess what - that would mean our team improving.

romufc

It's not too far fetched.

We definitely need a striker of Ighalo's type in the squad full-time as he offers something completely different to what we have. BUT....We need one a bit better than Odion, if I'm being honest. Now, I know some will say "but Ighalo is happy to be a squad player, he won't demand a starting place" which is all well and good, but I WANT a striker to want a starting place. If that means displacing Martial as the starting striker due to good form, so be it because guess what - that would mean our team improving.
You will need to spend £50m for that. There is no point spending that money just for the sake of it when there are other areas to improve on.

We either buy a striker who will come in and displace Martial or someone like Ighalo who will give Martial run for his money.

Alabaster Codify7

You will need to spend £50m for that. There is no point spending that money just for the sake of it when there are other areas to improve on.

We either buy a striker who will come in and displace Martial or someone like Ighalo who will give Martial run for his money.

I don't disagree with that, I don't consider striker to be a massive issue (as we need to prioritise a RW and a couple of midfielders immediately) but Ighalo himself will probably cost around £30m, man. You think we're going to get him for peanuts, especially if he does well enough here to warrant a permanent contract offer? I actually think we'd end up spending north of £30m which is why I think an extra £15-20m for a much better version would be good. Who that is, I have no idea! Just shooting the breeze.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I like it for a change but against top opposition I don't see Ighalo being better than Martial, even if you consider the latter to be out of position as an out-and-out number 9.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ighalo isn't a very technically great striker. But he is a striker that will score the dirty goals.

I prefer Martial but I'm pleasantly surprised over his contribution so far. Should probably have scored 2-3 more goals as well. Looks like a solid loan option considering the market so far.

romufc

I don't disagree with that, I don't consider striker to be a massive issue (as we need to prioritise a RW and a couple of midfielders immediately) but Ighalo himself will probably cost around £30m, man. You think we're going to get him for peanuts, especially if he does well enough here to warrant a permanent contract offer? I actually think we'd end up spending north of £30m which is why I think an extra £15-20m for a much better version would be good. Who that is, I have no idea! Just shooting the breeze.
if its £30m then I agree with you. I am sure the scouting team can find someone for £50m

BigBebe

Ole has said a number of times that he wants Martial to be in the box more - despite that, most of the time he is still closer to the corner flag than he is to the penalty spot.

Ighalo illustrates that even if you have a less technically gifted player, just providing some mobility in and around the box is important in occupying defenders and getting chances on goal.

This is not an either/or situation. Martial is hugely talented but will never be a natural number 9. Ighalo illustrates how important having a natural number 9 is but we just need one a little bit better than him.

The Original

This needs to be said: the question in this thread is not whether Ighalo should bench Martial. It's not whether Ighalo is a better player. It's simply, should Ighalo be the 9 and Martial play elsewhere?

Is there a better wing forward than Martial? Rashford is arguably on the same level and he is injured.

Is there a better out and out poacher than Ighalo at the moment? He's the only one willing and able to play there.

So to answer the question, yes. Martial at lw and Ighalo at CF could be brilliant with both supported by Fernandes.

Dve

Why not play both? Martial on the left, Ighalo in the middle.