Update on players RedCafe wanted over the summer

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
De Ligt
Plenty of fans were asking for Woodward to go when we signed him, and others criticised the deal to sign Maguire. He moved to Juventus for 65 million and has recently been dropped. Given away two penalties and has struggled to adapt to the pressures of a big league.

Pepe
An example of Arsenal having bigger ambition than us. Cost roughly 80 million pounds and was expected to add a lot to Arsenal’s attack. Converted a key penalty in a win over Aston Villa. Had a good run v Liverpool.

Luca Jović
Given as an example of a fantastic coup by Real Madrid. Used as an example to criticise United’s transfer policy. Recently scored his first goal for Madrid in ten games. In and out of the starting line up.

Bruno Fernandes
United fans were desperate for him. Remained in Sporting despite heavy interest from other clubs. Currently tearing up the Portuguese league.

His numbers are good but his overall performances have not been. This is something I expected and mentioned before the season. The team is worse then last season, we have no striker and have Yannick Bolasie as a starter along with a broken Jese. The team was knocked out of the main cup competition by a team from the third division and we are already out of the title race not that we were ever realistically going to be in one. We are also almost surely knocked out of the league cup as well with the europa league not too far off I am sure.

You can see the frustration in his face when we play because he is the only one who tries and it is up to him to make everything happen because this team is even worse than last season. The team is in shambles the fans and the president and hierarchy of the club are at "war" with each other. Fans want immediate elections and want Varandas removed. We are already on our third coach this season.

It is a really unhealthy environment and the club is in free fall so its not a good environment to be in. The whole team is dog shit. Take away Bruno and honest to god we would flirt with 7th and 8th place.

So in conclusions I don't see him putting up the same numbers as last season but I truly don't believe that will be entirely on him. He would need a Herculean season to do that and thats just not possible. He should have left in the summer I almost feel bad for him:lol:

This seasons stats (he leads both categories for Sporting)
Goals:7
Assists:5

Last edited:

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
So are you going to keep this thread updated or what? What’s the point here?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
All 4 would have massively improved us, so if the point of this thread is to suggest we dodged 4 bullets, I'll have to disagree.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think it's disgraceful that fans want us to sign more players to improve our team, quite frankly. Plastic cnuts not being happy to settle with what we have and instead wanting us to better ourselves so we achieve more. Idiots wanting Ole to be given more resources to get better players so we're not short in key areas.

I mean, honestly, fans these days, fickle morons the lot of them!

Enigma_87

You know who
De Ligt
Plenty of fans were asking for Woodward to go when we signed him, and others criticised the deal to sign Maguire. He moved to Juventus for 65 million and has recently been dropped. Given away two penalties and has struggled to adapt to the pressures of a big league.

Pepe
An example of Arsenal having bigger ambition than us. Cost roughly 80 million pounds and was expected to add a lot to Arsenal’s attack. Converted a key penalty in a win over Aston Villa. Had a good run v Liverpool.

Luca Jović
Given as an example of a fantastic coup by Real Madrid. Used as an example to criticise United’s transfer policy. Recently scored his first goal for Madrid in ten games. In and out of the starting line up.

Bruno Fernandes
United fans were desperate for him. Remained in Sporting despite heavy interest from other clubs. Currently tearing up the Portuguese league.
De Ligt is one for the future, not a finished article. Pretty harsh on him after handful of games.

Jovic too for that matter.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I think it's disgraceful that fans want us to sign more players to improve our team, quite frankly. Plastic cnuts not being happy to settle with what we have and instead wanting us to better ourselves so we achieve more. Idiots wanting Ole to be given more resources to get better players so we're not short in key areas.

I mean, honestly, fans these days, fickle morons the lot of them!
Where on Earth has the come from? We all want Ole to have access to some of the best players.

Massive Spanner

Where on Earth has the come from? We all want Ole to have access to some of the best players.
So what's the point of this thread then?

What's the point of the "Anyone else upset we didn't sign more players thread", then?

Why are you so vehemently set on making condescending threads aimed at anyone who wanted us to sign more players?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

What's the point of the "Anyone else upset we didn't sign more players thread", then?

Why are you so vehemently set on making condescending threads aimed at anyone who wanted us to sign more players?
The basic purpose is that there is a set of fans who think that running the club is as easy as signing the next big name and then it’ll be done.

Over the last decade here I’ve seen a hundred page thread demanding Fabio play more games. I’ve seen complete meltdowns as players like Cellabos or Dembele move to other clubs. I’ve seen grown men throw their toys out of the plan because we’ve signed a championship midfielder.

The hope (and it is in vain) is that we have people who calmly and rationally support Manchester United rather than supporting the transfer window.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Jovic looks quality, i'd like to see more of him honestly

Now that Bale appears to have checked out for good, Zizou might finally try him with Benzema and Hazard

Rodrygo's been very good though and looks like a natural fit in the front 3 with those two...and there's Vini as well...

GBBQ

De Ligt is one for the future, not a finished article. Pretty harsh on him after handful of games.
Obviously judging him this early on is pointless as he needs time to settle but I don't think many argued he was a signing for the future during the transfer window. most saw him as a ready made leader ready to step in and have an impact straight away.

Enigma_87

You know who
Obviously juging him this early on is pointless as he needs time to settle but I don't think many argued he was a signing for the future during the transfer window. most saw him as a ready made leader ready to step in and have an impact straight away.
Then those are wrong. Obviously he has shown great promise last year, but he's still very young and inexperienced. CB is a position where you can expect a 20 years old to struggle, especially adapting to a new league and country. Most of the top CB's also struggled in their teens/early 20's with inconsistency.

Kag

The point of the thread is to highlight just how idiotic the bed wetters are when our rivals make signings that we don’t. That’s how it seems to me.

People won’t like this thread because it compels them to reflect on their own shortcomings.

Massive Spanner

The basic purpose is that there is a set of fans who think that running the club is as easy as signing the next big name and then it’ll be done.

Over the last decade here I’ve seen a hundred page thread demanding Fabio play more games. I’ve seen complete meltdowns as players like Cellabos or Dembele move to other clubs. I’ve seen grown men throw their toys out of the plan because we’ve signed a championship midfielder.

The hope (and it is in vain) is that we have people who calmly and rationally support Manchester United rather than supporting the transfer window.
The basic purpose is bollocks. We've missed out on loads of great players over the years because of our terrible transfer dealings. We've signed shitloads of duds over the years because of our terrible transfer dealings.

Making a thread about four players, all of whom are still young, after ten games, is about as stupid as declaring our three signings massive successes because they've been decent in their first ten games, which you and others have done.

The idea that posters should be looked down on and mocked for wanting us to sign these players and improve our squad is the sort of pathetic top red mentality that is more toxic than anything you've suggested they've said.

Personally I still look back on the Hazard transfer at the time with severe disappointment. We missed out on him because of a £6m agent fee! I guess that makes me a pathetic cnut for that, though, right, because I should've just been happy we signed Zaha at the time, or whoever it was?

Massive Spanner

The point of the thread is to highlight just how idiotic the bed wetters are when our rivals make signings that we don’t. That’s how it seems to me.

People won’t like this thread because it compels them to reflect on their own shortcomings.
All four of those players could have potentially improved our team, though. Why is it not OK to be disappointed that we didn't sign them? Why should it be looked down on if someone wants us to get these players so that we can have a better team and Ole has more to work with?

Seriously, what's wrong with that? Tell me what the feck is actually wrong with wanting your team to be improved? :lol: It's a pathetic thread!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
All four of those players could have potentially improved our team, though. Why is it not OK to be disappointed that we didn't sign them? Why should it be looked down on if someone wants us to get these players so that we can have a better team and Ole has more to work with?

Seriously, what's wrong with that? Tell me what the feck is actually wrong with wanting your team to be improved? :lol: It's a pathetic thread!
Because we’ve already signed three players and spent roughly 160 million this summer. We improved our first team massively. Yet EVERY time a rival signs another player we go into meltdown. It’s not just wanting your team to improve, its insanity. The “muppet” joke on this forum has proven incredibly toxic to the point that every season there’s a pervasive negative atmosphere. It’s worth reminding these posters that their special toys don’t always turn out good. It’s worth comparing United’s plights with other teams as it often can seem here that we’re miles behind the times. I lost track of the times I saw “Madrid are a proper club” on this forum this summer while we signed Wann Bisaka and Maguire.

Kag

Nothing is wrong with wanting to improve the team. The team needs improved desperately, hence we’re in seventh. But this thread is clearly referring to the stark-raving loonies that bleat on like babies every time a rival signs a player on loan. There’s a clear difference.

Bwuk

De Ligt has struggled to settle, but the talent is there. I'd still love him here.

Pepe, never wanted and don't rate.

Luka Jovic hasn't had a chance at Madrid.

Bruno would walk into our current side.

Massive Spanner

Nothing is wrong with wanting to improve the team. The team needs improved desperately, hence we’re in seventh. But this thread is clearly referring to the stark-raving loonies that bleat on like babies every time a rival signs a player on loan. There’s a clear difference.
Yeah right, he already made a thread like this after the first Chelsea game. Now we beat them again and he makes another one. The posters you're listing there make up, what, maybe 1% of the Caf? The rest are posters who are disappointed that we missed out on some of those players, what's wrong with that?

You really think both of these toxic, condescending, bitchy threads from a total WUM of a poster are justified because of a select few cry babies?

It's pathetic.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Because we’ve already signed three players and spent roughly 160 million this summer. We improved our first team massively. Yet EVERY time a rival signs another player we go into meltdown. It’s not just wanting your team to improve, its insanity. The “muppet” joke on this forum has proven incredibly toxic to the point that every season there’s a pervasive negative atmosphere. It’s worth reminding these posters that their special toys don’t always turn out good. It’s worth comparing United’s plights with other teams as it often can seem here that we’re miles behind the times. I lost track of the times I saw “Madrid are a proper club” on this forum this summer while we signed Wann Bisaka and Maguire.
Hahaha yeah I liked that phrase during the summer. "Madrid showing us how to do a rebuild in 1 summer".

Massive Spanner

Their special toys have played less than half a season, are you seriously writing them all off because of that?

You can't proclaim our three signings successes and then write off those three above because they haven't had the best start at their new clubs. That's pure hypocrisy.

it's also blatantly obvious that all four of those players would have improved us as a team, and you're conveniently ignoring with that £160m (it was £150m but whatever) that we got a lovely £74m for Lukaku from Inter and never replaced him, funnily enough.

Gerald G

Out of the four you mentioned I wanted De Ligt and Bruno. I still think we should try for Bruno in Jan.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Their special toys have played less than half a season, are you seriously writing them all off because of that?

You can't proclaim our three signings successes and then write off those three above because they haven't had the best start at their new clubs. That's pure hypocrisy.

it's also blatantly obvious that all four of those players would have improved us as a team, and you're conveniently ignoring with that £160m (it was £150m but whatever) that we got a lovely £74m for Lukaku from Inter and never replaced him, funnily enough.
I’m not writing them off. De Ligt will possibly go on to be a very good player.

We didn’t hear that in the summer though. We had a 150+ page thread about how we needed him. Turns out, he might have taken a while to settle in.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Then those are wrong. Obviously he has shown great promise last year, but he's still very young and inexperienced. CB is a position where you can expect a 20 years old to struggle, especially adapting to a new league and country. Most of the top CB's also struggled in their teens/early 20's with inconsistency.
This. It's not about struggling to adapt to a 'big league', it's about a very young defender still learning his trade and how to be consistent. It's a constant cycle of two-steps-forward, one-step-back with anyone that age. It's par for the course in buying talent rather than finished articles.

Massive Spanner

I’m not writing them off. De Ligt will possibly go on to be a very good player.

We didn’t hear that in the summer though. We had a 150+ page thread about how we needed him. Turns out, he might have taken a while to settle in.
I'd still have taken De Ligt over Maguire any day of the week, I imagine plenty others would have too.

So if those players could all still turn out to be good and Fernandes has again been quality, and all four of them would have improved us.. what's the point of this thread exactly?

Schneckerl

Luca Jović
Is this "review" supposed to tell us that we dodged a bullet here? 21 years old and played about 300 mins. It's not easy to get starts at Real Madrid, plenty of future world-class players didn't succeed there at first.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
All 4 would have massively improved us, so if the point of this thread is to suggest we dodged 4 bullets, I'll have to disagree.
Certainly not 4 bullets dodged and I agree all have the potential to be good players, but it goes to show that people need to be a bit more patient with the players they have as they settle in and as teams bed down. There's very little patience on the caf as some expect fireworks from every player every time they play.

Kag

Yeah right, he already made a thread like this after the first Chelsea game. Now we beat them again and he makes another one. The posters you're listing there make up, what, maybe 1% of the Caf? The rest are posters who are disappointed that we missed out on some of those players, what's wrong with that?

You really think both of these toxic, condescending, bitchy threads from a total WUM of a poster are justified because of a select few cry babies?

It's pathetic.
I think there are more cry babies than you think. It’s been mentioned above, but I read about Madrid ‘spending like a proper top club’ on numerous occasions this summer, while we were buying shitty James and Wan-Bissaka instead.

Massive Spanner

I think there are more cry babies than you think. It’s been mentioned above, but I read about Madrid ‘spending like a proper top club’ on numerous occasions this summer, while we were buying shitty James and Wan-Bissaka instead.
Pretty much everyone was absolutely delighted about signing AWB so that's simply not true (I think the big fee was the main complaint), and most people thought James was a good punt at £15m. Maguire was the only one that had opinion split 50/50 because of the price and I think that's still justified because as predicted by a lot of people, he's been a decent upgrade but not the sort of one that justifies the fee we paid.

(Also, pssssssst, Real are one point off top)

VanGaalyTime

Really don't understand the point of these threads. I think the point others were making pre season is that United could have guaranteed a top 4 place with a little investment in midfield and attack. It's clear United are missing goals from midfield and we're relying heavily on Martial and Rashford to stay fit. We'll likely rectify this massive mistake in January and buy at least two players.

Another point is that it's important for fans to criticize the leadership at this club. We spent 80m on Maguire rather than buy him for 60m last year. We clearly sold Lukaku without a replacement in mind. And we are paying huge wages to Alexis Sanchez for him to run around in Italy. The decision making above Ole has been criminal. And it's exceptionally important for fans to be able to point that out.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Hahaha yeah I liked that phrase during the summer. "Madrid showing us how to do a rebuild in 1 summer".
To be fair, they actually made a good transfer activity. They have the individual talent, but they still have not a proper collective union.

redshaw

De Ligt is one that could've been a bad move, for him and us in the short term. More so him being so high profile, young and our poor start would attract all sorts of criticism of a wrong move, heightened belief you shouldn't go to United.

Ultimately it didn't look like we were serious contenders to sign him anyway.

laughtersassassin

No we improved or defence massively and made our midfield and attack worse by letting players go and not replacing them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To be fair, they actually made a good transfer activity. They have the individual talent, but they still have not a proper collective union.
Main issue is a lot of that talent is either too young or past their best...and we've also been devastated by injuries.

We do need another guy like Valverde in midfield though