Update on players RedCafe wanted over the summer

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
While De Ligt might be experiencing one of the worsts starts in football history, I'd still take him over Jerry Maguire 8 days in the week.

God, he's been wank for Juve though.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Came to this thread to get footballing updates on players United has been linked with/ ones that the Caf wanted.

Leaving this thread because the first 8 posts have already devolved into arguing.

Never change Caf
Sorry mate. I tried. I’m gonna try and update the opening post with updates from those who have seen them. Starting with Fernandes.

Edit: have updated the OP. If any Juve/Madrid/Arsenal fans want me to write anything about the others let me know. If anyone else should be added to the first post let me know. (Three mentions I’ll put them in)

Last edited:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
The point of the thread is to highlight just how idiotic the bed wetters are when our rivals make signings that we don’t. That’s how it seems to me.

People won’t like this thread because it compels them to reflect on their own shortcomings.
Agreed!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I do actually find it funny how players are hyped up constantly but it quickly turns out they probably wouldn't have been the immediate answer, even they would improve us eventually.

People made out like De Ligt was ready, so I'm not buying anyone saying it's obvious he wasn't because of his age.

settembrini

There were a lot of people who didn't want us to buy Wan-Bissaka in the summer. The two most commonly suggested alternatives were Meunier and Cancelo.

Meunier has started 8/15 PSG games and is lucky to have played that much. Kehrer started their first two games at right back, then got injured and hasn't played since. Meunier has been battling for starts with PSG's 3rd choice right back, Dagba.

Cancelo ended up costing City more than we paid for Wan-Bissaka. So far he is second choice behind Walker, starting 5/16 games.

pascell

Considering how much stock Ole got for targeting British players, it’s worth noting that it often takes foreign players time to adapt. Could we have given them that time this season?
Well yes, Fred has still needed time to adapt, Pereira has had to adapt to consistent first team football and the new lads have had to adapt to the rigours of our training regime.

Fosu-Mens

There were a lot of people who didn't want us to buy Wan-Bissaka in the summer. The two most commonly suggested alternatives were Meunier and Cancelo.

Meunier has started 8/15 PSG games and is lucky to have played that much. Kehrer started their first two games at right back, then got injured and hasn't played since. Meunier has been battling for starts with PSG's 3rd choice right back, Dagba.

Cancelo ended up costing City more than we paid for Wan-Bissaka. So far he is second choice behind Walker, starting 5/16 games.
The arguments for not buying AWB was partly due to the cost and that we needed to get a midfielder in, thus Meunier + Midfielder would still be a good option.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I do actually find it funny how players are hyped up constantly but it quickly turns out they probably wouldn't have been the immediate answer, even they would improve us eventually.

People made out like De Ligt was ready, so I'm not buying anyone saying it's obvious he wasn't because of his age.
Yeah the excuses in The Netherlands about him being raw and needing time are silly. I had quite a few friends from Amsterdam claiming he was already better than Van Dyke. Also, he has the highest salary 2nd only to Ronaldo, so feck giving him time. He's doing wank and he should improve.

No clue why he went to Juve in the first place. Had Barca written all over him.

settembrini

The arguments for not buying AWB was partly due to the cost and that we needed to get a midfielder in, thus Meunier + Midfielder would still be a good option.
We needed the best right back we could get. That was Wan-Bissaka. The £20m or so we would have saved by buying the weaker player in Meunier would have made zero difference as to whether we could afford a new midfielder or not. Can't believe there are still people making arguments against us buying Wan-Bissaka, it was a fantastic signing.

Fosu-Mens

We needed the best right back we could get. That was Wan-Bissaka. The £20m or so we would have saved by buying the weaker player in Meunier would have made zero difference as to whether we could afford a new midfielder or not. Can't believe there are still people making arguments against us buying Wan-Bissaka, it was a fantastic signing.
Given that we are playing a low possession counter attacking setup this season I agree that AWB is a better fit (perfect fit) than the likes of Meunier. With OGS statements that we were going to play attacking football I assumed that his lack of offensive and passing abilities would be problematic, thus not overly enthusiastic about the signing.

RedDevilSwe

Supports
Liverpool
Win a couple of games and threads like this pop up.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I didn’t ever want to do this, because I think you’re a good lad who is very misunderstood. But I’m going to report this post now. You come across as really silly with stuff like that. Ever since you made that post about that girl you liked turning you down after you asked her to play Pokemon, I’ve been kind and fair to you but you’re clearly just here to antagonise now.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Win a couple of games and threads like this pop up.
Interesting post RedDevilSwe. Interestingly enough I went back through your 16 other posts on the board. Here’s some.
They always play that many pre-season friendlies since Klopp came in.
He apparently puts them through a double session before the games aswell, thats probably why they look terrible on many occasions during pre-season.
Except they’ve just won the CL and we’ve won feck all.
I thought Spurs were title contenders? Didn’t Harry Winks warn Liverpool & City that Spurs are coming for them? :lol:
Embarassing from some United fans here trying to talk down everything Liverpool do lately. Makes us look deluded as feck.
What? Napoli beat Liverpool 1-0 last year in the group.
This league will drop so hard in quality when Pep and Klopp leave.
Sad fecking times when people on here are celebrating a draw at Old Trafford.
Now the eagle eyed among you will have noticed something. RedDevilSwe has very rarely posted anything good about Man United. Instead he seems to... have a remarkable tendency to post about Liverpool. Two of his other posts are from in game chats about Liverpool.

SOME people might suggest you’re a sad Liverpool fan, trolling another site. But I’m sure there’s no one pathetic enough to bother doing that?

Eleven-Eighteen

Sorry mate. I tried. I’m gonna try and update the opening post with updates from those who have seen them. Starting with Fernandes.

Edit: have updated the OP. If any Juve/Madrid/Arsenal fans want me to write anything about the others let me know. If anyone else should be added to the first post let me know. (Three mentions I’ll put them in)
Yep i do appreciate the attempt

bonothom

Didn't realise Ed Woodward was a member on here. I agree Ed you did well not signing all these players. And it was a super idea not to replace Lukaku, Herera and Fellaini when we have such squad depth as it is.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I didn’t ever want to do this, because I think you’re a good lad who is very misunderstood. But I’m going to report this post now. You come across as really silly with stuff like that. Ever since you made that post about that girl you liked turning you down after you asked her to play Pokemon, I’ve been kind and fair to you but you’re clearly just here to antagonise now.
:lol:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I think you're a good lad, too. Your wumming is ace. Long may it continue.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was always Maguire > De Ligt :drool:

In fact, if we were going to buy a Ajax CB, I would've preferred bringing Blind back!

settembrini

I just remembered that Rabiot existed.

Started 4 out of 15 games for Juventus since joining them in the summer.

There is already media gossip that he (and his mum) are unhappy.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It’s quite reassuring really and shows that we do have a transfer strategy, we didn’t panic and go after the big names just to fill a gap in the squad.

Pepe in particular looks like a really poor signing, James looks far better up to now.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It’s quite reassuring really and shows that we do have a transfer strategy, we didn’t panic and go after the big names just to fill a gap in the squad.

Pepe in particular looks like a really poor signing, James looks far better up to now.
We did try de Ligt & Rabiot.
Bruno - actually I have been on the opposite camp since day1. He was never worth 70m+

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What's up with De Ligt? Is he really crapping the bed at Juventus?
No. He's just not been this exceptional one-man defence people expected him to be and seems to struggle with the concept of keeping his arms close to the body :lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I did want us to sign Bruno (he has to be better than nobody, right?) but I did also have this nagging feeling he wouldn't be all that in the premier league. Every goal I saw him score was helped in part by either poor goalkeeping or terrible defending, and I'm not exaggerating.

Anyone know how he's been for Sporting this season?

freeurmind

weak willed
For those not initiated, this thread is a windup. Clues are the name of the thread starter, the other players people on here were talking about during the summer who haven't been mentioned and again the name of the thread starter.

Peeping Tim

Supports
Liverpool
How far into the season did it take for Fabinho to cement a place in our first team? Was he a poor signing?

Klopp knows it takes players a long time to adapt to their new country/environment, learn the tactics of the position within the team, etc, etc, and he allows his signings to do that. A lot of managers don't have that care, or feel more under threat and need to show immediate dividend from their investment.

Although I agree with the general thrust that fans are way too quick to lust over other clubs signings (we had a lot of people on RAWK jizzing their pants over Pepe too, which, although it is too early to say, looks wildly misplaced at this early stage). This thread is way too soon to play the "hindsight" card, i'm afraid.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How far into the season did it take for Fabinho to cement a place in our first team? Was he a poor signing?

Klopp knows it takes players a long time to adapt to their new country/environment, learn the tactics of the position within the team, etc, etc, and he allows his signings to do that. A lot of managers don't have that care, or feel more under threat and need to show immediate dividend from their investment.

Although I agree with the general thrust that fans are way too quick to lust over other clubs signings (we had a lot of people on RAWK jizzing their pants over Pepe too, which, although it is too early to say, looks wildly misplaced at this early stage). This thread is way too soon to play the "hindsight" card, i'm afraid.
Not interested in playing the hindsight card. Interested in people evaluating their own posts and realising that this football malarkey may be harder than the experts on here think.

izec

De Ligt and Bruno are coming into form slowly. Jovic wont get past Benzema currently (has also injury issues), who is in top form. Pepe plays for a struggling Arsenal side, but then again, i dont think the majority wanted him here for 80m anyway (not just due to playing in France, but his high numbers from penalties)

De Ligt, Bruno and Jovic would have been great buys for us, without a doubt (after getting some time to settle in of course)

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Not interested in playing the hindsight card. Interested in people evaluating their own posts and realising that this football malarkey may be harder than the experts on here think.
To put it mildly, you're the last person that ought to be lecturing others over the importance of humility and introspection.

Brophs

The One and Only
This has the makings of another classic Wumminator column on The Athletic, a job he was headhunted for with no writing experience, but with a stellar internet forum posting history behind him.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This has the makings of another classic Wumminator column on The Athletic, a job he was headhunted for with no writing experience, but with a stellar internet forum posting history behind him.
Never claimed that at all. Please can we not talk about this, could get me in trouble.

Brophs

The One and Only
Never claimed that at all. Please can we not talk about this, could get me in trouble.
Recently I have been approached by a company representing a new website asking me to send in some examples of my sports work. They've asked me work on some staff pieces based on Premier League football and the experience of fans. I have never really posted about football anywhere other than here, so whoever has seen this and put me forward, thank you very much.

It is for a new subscription based online publication that will offer an immense amount of high quality material. Podcasts/Articles etc etc. All of this for roughly £40.00 a year (or a monthly model).

I can't reveal exactly who else is involved in this project as I've signed forms and don't want to be sued for all I'm worth (not much), but pretty much every high profile sports journalist from the UK will soon be making the jump.

Would this model be something you're interested in?
That isn’t where I normally work. I got a new job recently and I had to go for a look around the American office. It was amazing.
I doubt this will get you into trouble. Worst case scenario, your parents will probably reduce your nightly internet time.