Update on players RedCafe wanted over the summer

fps

You’re trying to talk down the signing of De Ligt? You know nothing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This has the makings of another classic Wumminator column on The Athletic, a job he was headhunted for with no writing experience, but with a stellar internet forum posting history behind him.
I remember when Wumminator said a few months ago, that we'd be challenging for top 3.
He also said that LVG should not be sacked, when it was plainly obvious that his brand of football was the most boring in Europe and we were being cut open by teams, as soon as they got possession of the ball.

Wumminator, please give us some more predictions.

Mr Smith

OP doesn't mention Dybala, who's having a screamer of a season. I mean obviously he didn't want to join us, but still.

izec

OP doesn't mention Dybala, who's having a screamer of a season. I mean obviously he didn't want to join us, but still.
Not sure the majority wanted him here, as funny as it sounds. Another superstar signing. He didnt want to join anyway, so in a sense they were right

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Can anyone update this thread with how well De Ligt and Jovic are getting on?

We should probably add Upamencano and Sancho as well.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I remember when Wumminator said a few months ago, that we'd be challenging for top 3.

Wumminator, please give us some more predictions.
Thank you for remembering that. I had genuinely forgotten that I had been correct in where we’d finish.

RedNed77

Can anyone update this thread with how well De Ligt and Jovic are getting on?

We should probably add Upamencano and Sancho as well.
Luka Jovic - 2 goals In 24 appearances. Who scored rating of about 6.2. Could be doing bird in Serbia for 6 months for breaking coronavirus regulations.

Upemecano - Decent generally, reportedly told United over the summer that he wanted to see if we can make the champs league again next season to make sure we’re good enough for him. Last seen hanging out of Rashford’s back pocket.

De Ligt - Crap until lockdown, better after it. Currently out for 3 months with a shoulder injury. Jury still out.

Sancho - 6 games, 1 goal 2 assists. Juan Mata 4 games, 3 goals 1 assist.

Last edited:

AjaxNL

De Ligt has been monumental for Juve since november/december last year. True, he had a shaky start which might have affected the perception of his first season, but for the majority of it, he has been great.

Alek M

Da manic one
Luka Jovic - 2 goals In 24 appearances. Who scored rating of about 6.2. Could be doing bird in Serbia for 6 months for breaking coronavirus regulations.

Upemecano - Decent generally, reportedly told United over the summer that he wanted to see if we can make the champs league again next season to make sure we’re good enough for him. Last seen hanging out of the back of Rashford back pocket.

De Ligt - Crap until lockdown, better after it. Currently out for 3 months with a shoulder injury. Jury still out.

Sancho goal was a penalty btw

Born2Lose

Was thinking last night if that's an example of what he faces every week in the BL no wonder he's putting up such amazing stats.

Rolaholic

Would still take Sancho in an instant and am hoping he has a poor season to drive down his price quite a bit. It would be the perfect slap in the face to Dortmund refusing 100m for him over the summer.

Mata has been getting games and performing well for us. Sancho offers much of what he can with the added benefit of having his legs under him to actually run...

Mindhunter

Would still take Sancho in an instant and am hoping he has a poor season to drive down his price quite a bit. It would be the perfect slap in the face to Dortmund refusing 100m for him over the summer.

Mata has been getting games and performing well for us. Sancho offers much of what he can with the added benefit of having his legs under him to actually run...
Or he could be the next Kagawa. And this time we would have paid £120 m for him.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I think Greenwood will be better than Sancho in a year or two. Bearing in mind Sancho is 18 months older and plays in a weaker league so probably looks better than he actually would be in the PL.

Eli Zee

At this point, I'd be happy going for someone else completely. Did sancho push for the move at all? If he doesn't want to come bad enough, move on to a player that does.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think Greenwood will be better than Sancho in a year or two. Bearing in mind Sancho is 18 months older and plays in a weaker league so probably looks better than he actually would be in the PL.
Conversely, De Bruyne put up amazing stats in the Bundesliga with Wolfsburg and kept that up in the PL.

passing-wind

At this point, I'd be happy going for someone else completely. Did sancho push for the move at all? If he doesn't want to come bad enough, move on to a player that does.
I think all the noise that came out last minute and his supposed illness points towards it. Sometimes it's what's not been published that is the biggest indicator and I don't think throughout the entire summer that Sancho ever stated he was staying which suggests far more than the numerous reports the tabloids came up with.

Eli Zee

You can’t say the Prem is the best league in the world on this forum. People disagree a lot.
You just gave me a brilliant idea. while champions/Europa league is going on, why don't they have a mid table tournament as well?
Get all the mid table teams from each league and put em in a tournament. If you win u can qualify for Europa league next season while you sit in 13th place in the league.

anyway, then we'd have an idea of best league in the world and you'd see interesting matchups we've never seen before

CG1010

For me the idea was to have 4 players instead of 3. To generate healthy competition and ensure we are covered for loss of form and injuries.

neilv93

For me the idea was to have 4 players instead of 3. To generate healthy competition and ensure we are covered for loss of form and injuries.
I think the idea now is to get that by utilising Cavani as a stop-gap forward option whilst the likes of Pellestri and Diallo adapt to English life/football. I'd be surprised, personally, if we go hell-for-leather for another RW in January/next summer after shelling nearly £50m on those two lads, whether they're 'young prospects' or not.

fps

In Upamecano’s defence, kinda, he exhausted himself making those long runs upfield, and presumably won’t do that so much as he gains more experience. He looks the real deal with the ball already.

RUCK4444

This could totally swap around again but everybody we really wanted like Sancho and Upamecano have been awful from what we've seen. :houllier: :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
In Upamecano’s defence, kinda, he exhausted himself making those long runs upfield, and presumably won’t do that so much as he gains more experience. He looks the real deal with the ball already.
I think that is part of Nagelsmann's game plan. You don't just casually have your CB making those runs unless he's told to.

Jund

I would love to see a thread like this for every transfer window, but instead of letting it run throughout the season it should be opened twice a year for the duration of the transfer windows. Example - on January 1st we update about the summer transfer rumors. That way we can actually compare whether what we have is worse than what could have been. Also it will be a fun read.

NWRed

I think the idea now is to get that by utilising Cavani as a stop-gap forward option whilst the likes of Pellestri and Diallo adapt to English life/football. I'd be surprised, personally, if we go hell-for-leather for another RW in January/next summer after shelling nearly £50m on those two lads, whether they're 'young prospects' or not.
I personally think the signing of those two permanently spells the end of our pursuit of Sancho, and I agree completely with the decision.

neilv93

I personally think the signing of those two permanently spells the end of our pursuit of Sancho, and I agree completely with the decision.
I've always wanted Sancho since it was first reported (and honestly still do to an extent) but I agree with you and the decision. It's nice to see Ed/the board, for once, saying "you know what? No, we're not paying that ridiculously extortionate Maguire-esque price hike we're being quoted".

We're Manchester United, famed for developing our own talent so I'd rather that continue (Greenwood, Rashford, Tuanzebe) whilst we also continue hoovering up the best young talents in the world (Mejbri, Pellestri, Diallo et al). A much better business model than spunking £40m too much of a 20-year-old English galactico - no matter how talented.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Nico Gaitan scored a worldie in the EL yesterday

GazTheLegend

Or he could be the next Kagawa. And this time we would have paid £120 m for him.
Yeah. The media were desperate for us to spunk 120 million in the covid climate as it would have generated headlines for Months.

Still would love him at United but that price tag comes with a LOT of ready made problems. Petrelli and Traore have been allowed to go under the radar and are extremely exciting looking players anyway, this was a proper Ferguson esque summer :lol:Even the Cavani signing was the sort of thing Ferguson literally did in 1998 with Sheringham and you should have seen the moaning back then about that signing a year before he won us the treble.

Withnail

I'm not sure about that. Pellestri is gone into the youth squad and seemingly needs a bit of time there to develop, while Diallo isn't playing for the senior team at Atalanta.

I know players don't really break through in Italy til they are a bit older generally but I don't know if either will be ready to come into the first team this season or even next season.

We still need a proper first team RW. We could still be in for him if (and its a big IF) the price is right.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Dortmund not selling Sancho is turning out to be a stupid decision for them.
1) Germany is in lockdown again which means no football and which no spectators for Dortmund, they already quite a bit of loss for the previous season
2) Sancho is looking half the player he was next season plus one year less on his contract.

I could see us signing him in for around 70-80m euros.