US Men's National Team Discussion

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
i wouldn't say no to him taking over...english isn't an issue...language wouldn't be an issue and he knows the american players plus i'm sure he could bring in a few dual national players
Balogun might be tempted

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
ooh...excellent shout and most certainly a player we should really be pushing to play for the US
He would fit in perfectly with the way this team is shaping up. Richards is looking good at Palace, so really we are just another CB and a forward away from have a solid XI. Getting this manager appointment right is going to be so important.

bosskeano

He would fit in perfectly with the way this team is shaping up. Richards is looking good at Palace, so really we are just another CB and a forward away from have a solid XI. Getting this manager appointment right is going to be so important.
oh for sure...it's massive especially b/c we have automatic qualification for the WC. We won't get the tough pressure matches to qualify which will make it even more difficult for the new manager for forge a bit of fire and steel. The positive thing is that we will have a very strong veteran group, even though they'll still be relatively young. 4 years is a long damn time to see just how much the roster fluctuates and new blood pops up.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
oh for sure...it's massive especially b/c we have automatic qualification for the WC. We won't get the tough pressure matches to qualify which will make it even more difficult for the new manager for forge a bit of fire and steel. The positive thing is that we will have a very strong veteran group, even though they'll still be relatively young. 4 years is a long damn time to see just how much the roster fluctuates and new blood pops up.
I'm not sure why, but Jalen Neal really made an impression in that January camp. He was just so assured on the ball, almost cocky. Sure, he made a massive mistake, but he is a teenager. I really hope he gets significant minutes for LA this year.

bosskeano

we have three young CB's who have shown a lot of promise.....Richards, Miles Robinson and this kid you mentioned. It'll be interesting to see how they develop over the next two years leading into the WC Cycle of warm up matches. I still think we need and must find a left footed CB bc you saw in the WC how important a role even as an older guy that Ream played being on his natural left foot.

midfield is sorted for years to come....Robinson has left back on lock and we have some fantastic forwards but need a damn good 9.

Balogun would be a huge addition and the development of these three CB's could solidify the USMNT. Richards is getting incredible experience starting week in and week out for Palace which will skyrocket his development.

bosskeano

That's why it is vital to get a guy in place sooner than later......Use the next year to honestly blow up the player pool and really cast a wide net of players in the US and some of these dual nationals like we just saw.

I really liked the three mexican american guys they brought in for the january camp(Alan Sonora, Brandan Vasquez and Alejandro Zendejas)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Reynas (the parents) come out of this looking like asses and Berhalter in a much better light. Still should have kept his mouth shut at the leadership conference, but it seems he handled the Gio issue in Qatar well. Gio needs to figure his shit out. His described behavior sounds like that of a spoiled, entitled child. He still very young, so has time.
Worried that this will give US Soccer the cover to renew GB.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...igible-to-coach-mens-team-after-investigation

bosskeano

Reynas (the parents) come out of this looking like asses and Berhalter in a much better light. Still should have kept his mouth shut at the leadership conference, but it seems he handled the Gio issue in Qatar well. Gio needs to figure his shit out. His described behavior sounds like that of a spoiled, entitled child. He still very young, so has time.
Worried that this will give US Soccer the cover to renew GB.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...igible-to-coach-mens-team-after-investigation
i read the article yesterday and honestly nothing coming out is really a massive surprise.....i think Greg was wrong bringing this to light in an open forum but it just confirms what we all figured which is Claudio and his wife felt entitled and thought they could bully Greg given the relationship. ANYONE that is involved in soccer at damn near any level in the US has probably had to deal with parents like this who feel like their child is owed something and doesn't need to earn it just b/c he or she is in the squad.

that said....US CAN NOT bring him back simply b/c he will have lost the locker room trust and that isn't something you can typically get back

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Could be. He looked pretty good in the January camp, but that was basically MLS only guys and he was one of the few players in mid season form. Still, you can never have too many quality players.
What’s he play?

bosskeano

@WI_Red thought you might find this interesting....

Hudson said 19-year-old Wolfsburg left back Kevin Paredes is close to being called in and the American staff has been talking with Folarin Balogun, a 21-year-old forward eligible to play for the U.S., England and Nigeria. Balogun is fourth in France's Ligue 1 this season with 14 goals for Reims, on a loan from Arsenal.

"There is open dialogue with him and his team," Hudson said. "That dialogue is continuing."

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
@WI_Red thought you might find this interesting....

Hudson said 19-year-old Wolfsburg left back Kevin Paredes is close to being called in and the American staff has been talking with Folarin Balogun, a 21-year-old forward eligible to play for the U.S., England and Nigeria. Balogun is fourth in France's Ligue 1 this season with 14 goals for Reims, on a loan from Arsenal.

"There is open dialogue with him and his team," Hudson said. "That dialogue is continuing."
Yeah, I heard that on the Scuffed podcast yesterday. I don't think he is going to commit to the US, if he does, until he sees who the next manager is. I still think he chooses England as the depth after Kane is not great (as long as you see Rashford as a LW and not a #9). His friendship with Musah might help, but who knows.

Paredes is an interesting one, is he actually playing left back for Wolfsburg? At DC he was more of a WB and it looks like he has been subbing in on the wing this year. LB depth would be great, but we already have a RB that "defends", no need to pair that with a LB.

bosskeano

Yeah, I heard that on the Scuffed podcast yesterday. I don't think he is going to commit to the US, if he does, until he sees who the next manager is. I still think he chooses England as the depth after Kane is not great (as long as you see Rashford as a LW and not a #9). His friendship with Musah might help, but who knows.

Paredes is an interesting one, is he actually playing left back for Wolfsburg? At DC he was more of a WB and it looks like he has been subbing in on the wing this year. LB depth would be great, but we already have a RB that "defends", no need to pair that with a LB.
not really sure about Paredes other than looking through stats and wolfsburg matches but it does look like he flips between wing and LB....another winger being moved back a level to help with the attacking portion but probably still learning how to defend at only 19. Work a look though considering his age and he's playing in the Bundesliga plus he's a lefty. Need more of those in the mix.

i'm just happy they are reaching out to Balogun and trying to see what the interest level might be. AT his age, you'd think a senior appearance for the England NT would have taken place already if Southgate was interested in him. No chance he gets into the france squad with the forwards they have at their disposal. It has to be either England or the US for this kid and he has a better shot with the US simply b/c Kane won't be going anywhere until at least after the next Euros.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Well now..... it's surely just a coincidence that he withdrew from the England U21 and traveled to a random US city....that is also where the USMNT is training.

bosskeano

a lot of chatter about this on the soccer channel on sirius xm....seems like there is some serious interest in both directions and Yunus is one of the main guys leading the charge

bosskeano

just getting around to watching it.....don't even know who this back four of players are

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Reynolds - on loan from Roma in Belgium
McKenzie - at Genk
Trusty - at Birmingham City
Scally - at Borussia Monchengladbach

bosskeano

Reynolds - on loan from Roma in Belgium
McKenzie - at Genk
Trusty - at Birmingham City
Scally - at Borussia Monchengladbach
you ever heard of any of these guys? is that Joe Scally? thought he was a holding mid or CB

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
you ever heard of any of these guys? is that Joe Scally? thought he was a holding mid or CB
Yep, heard of all of them. Reynolds made a big money (for an MLS teenager) move from Dallas to Roma. Then he got Mourinho’d. Trusty I knew from his time in Philly. McKenzie was a Berhalter favorite and I think may have been on the WC roster. Scally has been starting in Germany at RB for a year now. Player Fb for nycfc i think.

bosskeano

damn good finish by Grenada 3-1.....jeezus they just walked right thru them to score