US Men's National Team Discussion

bosskeano

first half was so f'ing boring.....couldn't understand the tactics of the US defensively against a 352. why play a mid block? it doesn't set you up to press and it doesnt set you up for a good counter either. it makes your team so passive

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I got to say that Morris really impressed me. Sure, he is who he is, but he never stopped running and was a genuine threat. Also, Dest was heads and shoulders the best player on the pitch and he wasn't even playing in his preferred position. It was insane that we appeared to be going down the right side the whole first half using Yedlin (???) while Dest sat on his hands on the left side.

Acosta was shocking and the goal moved Fereirra from a 1/10 to a 3/10. Neither deserve a callup when the European guys are available. The only guys from last night who deserve a shot with the full team are Dest, Zimmerman, and maybe J. Morris. Sands looked ok, but he is just not at the international level athletically to make it. The rest were shocking and I am 100% sure that I am better with the ball at my feet than Johnson.

bosskeano

I got to say that Morris really impressed me. Sure, he is who he is, but he never stopped running and was a genuine threat. Also, Dest was heads and shoulders the best player on the pitch and he wasn't even playing in his preferred position. It was insane that we appeared to be going down the right side the whole first half using Yedlin (???) while Dest sat on his hands on the left side.

Acosta was shocking and the goal moved Fereirra from a 1/10 to a 3/10. Neither deserve a callup when the European guys are available. The only guys from last night who deserve a shot with the full team are Dest, Zimmerman, and maybe J. Morris. Sands looked ok, but he is just not at the international level athletically to make it. The rest were shocking and I am 100% sure that I am better with the ball at my feet than Johnson.
:lol:

agreed...Sands just doesn't have the legs to play in the midfield especially a two man midfield like they played last night where the 10 was in essence a second striker in a 442 defensive shape. Acosta is shocking.

i think the Sonora guy should be given a much bigger look...he's technically quite solid

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Listening to the Scuffed podcast and they referred to Long as the Human Pressing Trigger. I am stealing that to apply to Maguire and DDG

bosskeano

zbcrow15

Let's go!! Hopefully he will fix our woeful productivity from our strikers. This was a huge pull for USA.

Thoughts from England fans?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Fantastic news. It will be interesting to see if he is registered in time for GC or NL. I am not as down on the #9 situation as some as I really like Sargent and Pepi, but Balogun bring something completely different. I think him and Weah will mesh fantastically.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Let's go!! Hopefully he will fix our woeful productivity from our strikers. This was a huge pull for USA.

Thoughts from England fans?
He's an efficient finisher. I want to see him integrated into the Arsenal squad, but it seems his breakout season means he won't be satisfied being rotation for Jesus. It's a shame (for us) but he clearly backs himself and is in a hurry. He's made a few statements about wanting to be wanted and it seems that is true for both club and country.

bosskeano

what it does simply is bring more competition into the squad for attacking talent which is exactly what we need....a guy who can finish, can play the 9, has pace. I'm sure they'll look at using him on the wing as well from time to time.

it's fantastic for the US squad to get this kid

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Isn't this the guy on loan in Ligue 1?

Interesting pickup, he had 3 countries to pick from. Hope he does well for the national team.

In other news, I've been disappointed with McKennie's play for Leeds.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Isn't this the guy on loan in Ligue 1?

Interesting pickup, he had 3 countries to pick from. Hope he does well for the national team.

In other news, I've been disappointed with McKennie's play for Leeds.
He looked good when Adams was healthy, but from the games I have seen he is being played out of position now way too deep.

zbcrow15

He looked good when Adams was healthy, but from the games I have seen he is being played out of position now way too deep.
The whole Leeds squad has diminished since the Adams injury. In the 12 games that he has missed, they have given up 35 goals. In the 24 games he played for them, they gave up 35 goals total. He has been a huge miss for them in the last two months.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I will get excited when Gregg Nepotism is no longer a part of the team. That said, it is a great addition.

edcunited1878

Wow, this is a legitimate player at the striker/CF position for once in a long time.

Just keep him in Europe in a team that he plays in, week in week out. With better players like him, U.S. needs a manager who has experience with talent players and Gregg wasn't isn't and ain't it, neither are his assistants.

bosskeano

The whole Leeds squad has diminished since the Adams injury. In the 12 games that he has missed, they have given up 35 goals. In the 24 games he played for them, they gave up 35 goals total. He has been a huge miss for them in the last two months.
100%....Adams was the one guy they had in the squad who was capable of breaking up play and covering the CB's. Once they lost him, they lost the ability to defend on the counter and any sort of defensive stability

zbcrow15

Wow, this is a legitimate player at the striker/CF position for once in a long time.

Just keep him in Europe in a team that he plays in, week in week out. With better players like him, U.S. needs a manager who has experience with talent players and Gregg wasn't isn't and ain't it, neither are his assistants.
I really hope that they get away from a US based coach and go for someone that has proven themselves in Europe.

edcunited1878

I really hope that they get away from a US based coach and go for someone that has proven themselves in Europe.
It can be South America or Europe, but not U.S....it's backwards if they continue to hire from the U.S. The players ability and tactical knowledge and implementation far out weight anything a U.S. coach has done.

Marsch was a product of the Red Bull teams and when he went outside of it, he failed big time.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Hey @Stadjer , your post in the Dutch hooliganism thread intimidated you might be an FC Groningen fan. I didn’t want to derail that thread, but I was hoping that, if the above is true, you could give your thoughts on Pepi. It’s difficult to follow the Eredivise over here so a locals perspective would be great. Thanks!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Interesting pick up from the US. He likely never would’ve been good enough to regularly represent England, but surprised he’s chosen the US over Nigeria. He’s not very American. Was born there while his Nigerian parents were on holiday, and then spent his whole life in England. Never been a big fan of these things, but the US seem to do it a lot.

edcunited1878

Interesting pick up from the US. He likely never would’ve been good enough to regularly represent England, but surprised he’s chosen the US over Nigeria. He’s not very American. Was born there while his Nigerian parents were on holiday, and then spent his whole life in England. Never been a big fan of these things, but the US seem to do it a lot.
It's him v Dest for least American NT player. Loads of athletes to this for the Olympics and whatever other international competitions because they want to compete, so be it. It's better for all involved to have good players represent and compete on big stages.

Stadjer

Hey @Stadjer , your post in the Dutch hooliganism thread intimidated you might be an FC Groningen fan. I didn’t want to derail that thread, but I was hoping that, if the above is true, you could give your thoughts on Pepi. It’s difficult to follow the Eredivise over here so a locals perspective would be great. Thanks!
I cant claim i have watched every game off him this season but he looks a pretty good player. He scored a lot of goals for someone who is surrounded by terrible players in a disfunctional team and club. FC Groningen has been relegated with matches still to be played and have been around relegation all season. To still score all the goals that he has scored is impressive for a young player. Only player at the club who has done well this year. Although this is the Eredivisie, there have been some dodge players scoring a lot of goals in the past.

He works hard, is pretty strong, fast and tall and has an okay technique. PSV is rumoured to be interested in him now. That could just be also be because American Ernest Stewart is the new director of football at PSV. It would be interesting to see him play at a better team and see how he does there.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I cant claim i have watched every game off him this season but he looks a pretty good player. He scored a lot of goals for someone who is surrounded by terrible players in a disfunctional team and club. FC Groningen has been relegated with matches still to be played and have been around relegation all season. To still score all the goals that he has scored is impressive for a young player. Only player at the club who has done well this year. Although this is the Eredivisie, there have been some dodge players scoring a lot of goals in the past.

He works hard, is pretty strong, fast and tall and has an okay technique. PSV is rumoured to be interested in him now. That could just be also be because American Ernest Stewart is the new director of football at PSV. It would be interesting to see him play at a better team and see how he does there.
Many thanks! After the abomination that was his time at Augsburg it is good to hear he is playing well. He looked much better in his last national team game, so obviously his time at Groningen has helped.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Saw the highlights from the U20 WC game vs Ecuador and thought we looked decent. Absolute world is by JoGo for the winner in injury time was nice.

As and aside, any chance we can get a rename of this thread @Carolina Red or some other mod? It’s turned into a catchall USA National Team thread recently.

surf

Is Pulisic really your best player, as the world cup hype was suggesting? He seems to be on the way out at Chelsea. More maga than mega.

FerociousCorgis

Is Pulisic really your best player, as the world cup hype was suggesting? He seems to be on the way out at Chelsea. More maga than mega.
He almost singlehandedly drug arena's ass to the world cup, and was one of our main players last cycle. His club form can be hit and miss for sure but when he's healthy for USMNT he generally is one of our best players.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Currently I would say Adams is our best and most important player. As @FerociousCorgis said, his national team form is generally good to great, regardless of his club form.

bosskeano

Currently I would say Adams is our best and most important player. As @FerociousCorgis said, his national team form is generally good to great, regardless of his club form.
1000% agree....Adams is the glue to this team b/c of his ability to stop counters and he reads the game really really well. the midfield with adams, musah and mckennie is really damn good.

those three are a lock right now....Balogun should be a lock alongside Pulisic with Dest and Robinson as the two fullbacks. We finally are getting athletes who have football skills.

what's disappointing honestly is how long it's taking to find a new gaffer....i think it's important to get someone from outside the current regime of influence whether that means a bilingual coach from South America or a european based coach who has knowledge of the american players. I don't want another guy who's got his bones from coaching in MLS.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
1000% agree....Adams is the glue to this team b/c of his ability to stop counters and he reads the game really really well. the midfield with adams, musah and mckennie is really damn good.

those three are a lock right now....Balogun should be a lock alongside Pulisic with Dest and Robinson as the two fullbacks. We finally are getting athletes who have football skills.

what's disappointing honestly is how long it's taking to find a new gaffer....i think it's important to get someone from outside the current regime of influence whether that means a bilingual coach from South America or a european based coach who has knowledge of the american players. I don't want another guy who's got his bones from coaching in MLS.
I would add Weah to the lock list. When he is healthy and on the field (never a lock) he is constantly our most dangerous and direct threat.

My guess is that we will not officially have a new manager till after the summer tournaments.

Carolina Red

Staff
Saw the highlights from the U20 WC game vs Ecuador and thought we looked decent. Absolute world is by JoGo for the winner in injury time was nice.

As and aside, any chance we can get a rename of this thread @Carolina Red or some other mod? It’s turned into a catchall USA National Team thread recently.
Done and done

bosskeano

I would add Weah to the lock list. When he is healthy and on the field (never a lock) he is constantly our most dangerous and direct threat.

My guess is that we will not officially have a new manager till after the summer tournaments.
oh yeah i totally forgot about Weah....he was really good in the world cup

you look at the group then we pulisic, weah, balogun, musah, adams, mckennie, dest, robinson, turner....that's a really solid 9 players with aaronson and reyna

miles robinson probably becomes the top CB now that he's healthy

i like the mexican/american guys they brought in over the winter period to add depth and more technical players.

i think waiting until after the summer tournaments does a disservice to the group as you're basically wasting the gold cup with an interim where you get a coach in place to set his standards for a cup competition.

we host the copa america in 2024 so waiting until the fall/winter 2023 doesn't allow the new coach many windows to work with players

zbcrow15

Thoughts on the Marsch links? He hasn't really lived up to they hype outside of his Salzburg days. I'm indifferent as I would like to see us hire an established coach with some sort of successful track record outside of the MLS

surf

Given that Leeds are going down (97% chance at this stage), where do you see Adams playing his club football next season? He's good enough to be a starter in the prem, surely?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Given that Leeds are going down (97% chance at this stage), where do you see Adams playing his club football next season? He's good enough to be a starter in the prem, surely?
Would love to see him on a middle of the table Team. His ball playing has improved so much the last few years and I worry if he goes to a team fighting relegation he will play purely as a destroyer and that growth will stop (or reverse). His passing and vision deficits are what keep him from a top of the table team. Still would love to see him at United :)

bosskeano

Thoughts on the Marsch links? He hasn't really lived up to they hype outside of his Salzburg days. I'm indifferent as I would like to see us hire an established coach with some sort of successful track record outside of the MLS
Jessie needs to continue learning his trade at the club level and if he can stay in england that would be of huge benefit to him and the US down the road

you need someone experienced at the international level or at least with some top 5 league experience but also young enough to vibe with this new generation of players