US Men's National Team Discussion

bosskeano

Stopped reading at Eric Wynalda
i played against that guy back in the day...he was even more of a twat back then b/c he was fuking good and he knew it

as for the article...yes he clearly has on his usa glasses to think we could contend as the stars would clearly have to align magically for that to happen. That would include a worldy gaffer and adding 3-4 guys out of nowhere that are top 15 type first team players.

that said....this kid, if he comes good, fills the ONE void this team clearly has. A goal scoring number 9.

we are very good on the wing, we are very good in midfield, we are very good at OB, we have a solid Keeper. Sort out the CB issue as to who should play alongside Miles Robinson and this is a team that has european experience and a team that could make a run into the Qtr's...not losing to a team like the Netherlands in the round of 16.

bosskeano

They're a terribly speculative outlet, so I wouldn't put much stock into that report.
ahh...wasn't aware they were on par with The Sun.

I still think Adams has it in him to be a guy that could do the business for United

Bertie Wooster

I've watched some of the USA U20 games at the World Cup - currently playing well, but wasteful, v New Zealand at HT.

Which players are the one's seen as the biggest hopes? I know some have more MLS experience than others, but some of the younger / currently less experienced ones in the squad may be seen as bigger talents long term.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I've watched some of the USA U20 games at the World Cup - currently playing well, but wasteful, v New Zealand at HT.

Which players are the one's seen as the biggest hopes? I know some have more MLS experience than others, but some of the younger / currently less experienced ones in the squad may be seen as bigger talents long term.
Most of the top players in the age group are not on the roster because they are already in the first team (Reyna, Pepi) or were not released by their clubs (Guttierez, Neal and others). Of this group I would say that Slonina and Cowell are the ones to watch.

Bertie Wooster

Most of the top players in the age group are not on the roster because they are already in the first team (Reyna, Pepi) or were not released by their clubs (Guttierez, Neal and others). Of this group I would say that Slonina and Cowell are the ones to watch.
Thanks. :)

Yeah, Slonina and Cowell were two of the main ones I'd heard of beforehand. I'd forgotten Reyna and Pepi were still only 20!

I'll look up those other key players who haven't been released by clubs.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Thanks. :)

Yeah, Slonina and Cowell were two of the main ones I'd heard of beforehand. I'd forgotten Reyna and Pepi were still only 20!

I'll look up those other key players who haven't been released by clubs.
Chris Brady was another I forgot who was not released. He’s a GK though, so it only matters if Slonina goes. Down to an injury.

Also forgot Paxton Aaronsson (Brendan’s little brother). Led the team in goals in qualifying, so a big miss.

bosskeano

Not sure this is a positive. A new temporary higher right before a tournament can’t be a good thing, best case is it doesn’t matter.
kudos to Hudson for riding this gif to a new job!
can't blame the lad for jumping ship to a lucrative job full well knowing he wasn't going to get the US job. This new temp hire is apparently a dude who's been in the background for a number of years and knows the players. Lets see what happens but honestly we need to make a move quickly for a top level boss. The US job should be something a lot of coaches would want.

bosskeano

USMNT GOLD CUP DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club/Country; Caps/Goals):

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Sean Johnson (Toronto FC/CAN; 12/0), Gaga Slonina (Chelsea/ENG; 1/0), Matt Turner (Arsenal/ENG; 26/0)

DEFENDERS (8): DeJuan Jones (New England Revolution; 2/0), Aaron Long (LAFC; 32/3), Matt Miazga (FC Cincinnati; 23/1), Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy; 2/0), Bryan Reynolds (Roma/ITA; 3/0), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 21/3), John Tolkin (New York Red Bulls; 1/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami; 78/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Gianluca Busio (Venezia/ITA; 9/0), Djordje Mihailovic (AZ Alkmaar/NED; 6/1), Aidan Morris (Columbus Crew; 2/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 32/3), James Sands (New York City FC; 8/0), Alan Soñora (FC Juárez/MEX; 2/0)

FORWARDS (6): Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes; 3/0), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 18/8), Julian Gressel (Vancouver Whitecaps/CAN; 2/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 52/11), Brandon Vazquez (FC Cincinnati; 3/1), Alex Zendejas (Club América/MEX; 3/1)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Sean Johnson (Toronto FC/CAN; 12/0), Gaga Slonina (Chelsea/ENG; 1/0), Matt Turner (Arsenal/ENG; 26/0)

DEFENDERS (8): DeJuan Jones (New England Revolution; 2/0), Aaron Long (LAFC; 32/3), Matt Miazga (FC Cincinnati; 23/1), Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy; 2/0), Bryan Reynolds (Roma/ITA; 3/0), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United; 21/3), John Tolkin (New York Red Bulls; 1/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami; 78/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Gianluca Busio (Venezia/ITA; 9/0), Djordje Mihailovic (AZ Alkmaar/NED; 6/1), Aidan Morris (Columbus Crew; 2/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 32/3), James Sands (New York City FC; 8/0), Alan Soñora (FC Juárez/MEX; 2/0)

FORWARDS (6): Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes; 3/0), Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; 18/8), Julian Gressel (Vancouver Whitecaps/CAN; 2/0), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 52/11), Brandon Vazquez (FC Cincinnati; 3/1), Alex Zendejas (Club América/MEX; 3/1)
The only surprise on the roster is brining Turner back into camp. It's a weak roster, but what does CONCACAF expect having two tournaments in the same summer?

bosskeano

just looking at the roster....these are massive games for Bryan Reynolds, Miles Robinson, Sonora, Vazquez and Zendejas simply b/c the last three are trying to earn spots after changing alliances and the first two could be the future CB's of the National team.

Busio, Aidan Morris....these are two young guys with bright futures but need to prove they can do it at the international level

Bertie Wooster

GOALKEEPERS (3):

The only surprise on the roster is brining Turner back into camp. It's a weak roster, but what does CONCACAF expect having two tournaments in the same summer?
Yeah, it did seem even weaker than I was expecting - though I'm always following it from afar so some of the ones with a small number of caps are new names to me.

I wasn't expecting the 'key' players to be allowed to play both tournaments by their clubs, so does the other one should be a much stronger squad?

Of the ones I don't really know about, are there any high hopes for the likes of DeJuan Jones, Jalen Neal, John Tolkin, Aidan Morris, Julian Gressel?

bosskeano

Yeah, it did seem even weaker than I was expecting - though I'm always following it from afar so some of the ones with a small number of caps are new names to me.

I wasn't expecting the 'key' players to be allowed to play both tournaments by their clubs, so does the other one should be a much stronger squad?

Of the ones I don't really know about, are there any high hopes for the likes of DeJuan Jones, Jalen Neal, John Tolkin, Aidan Morris, Julian Gressel?
makes sense to have north american players in this event simply to give the european players a break from a long season that included a mid season world cup

edcunited1878

Cade is the one I'm looking forward to. He's shown good play during his limited time with the senior team during Hudson's time and did well during the U20 WC.

For the younger players you mentioned, I think this is a great opportunity for them to experience the senior side in a legit regional competition. Not as familiar with them as other younger players such as Cade Cowell, but should be a great experience.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
From the U20 WC guys, Brenden Craig really impressed me at the back. He is probably the best ball playing center back we have in the pool, including all the senior guys. Not sure if he has the athleticism needed for the next level, but the technical skills looked fantastic.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It's US-MEX day everyone!! On top of that it is Balogun debut day as well. Just pissed it is at 10PM. Gotta love money grubbing CONCACAF and US Soccer.

Bertie Wooster

It's US-MEX day everyone!! On top of that it is Balogun debut day as well. Just pissed it is at 10PM. Gotta love money grubbing CONCACAF and US Soccer.
Ah, that explains it.

It's a 3am kick off over here in England. Normally it seems to start around 12 or 1am, which is doable. Don't think I can watch it 3-5am (with possibility of ET and pens).

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Is it a friendly or a real match?
Semi final of the Nations League. Should be full strength (minus injuries) squads for both sides. We are really going to miss Adams and, I can not believe I am typing these words, Ream.

bosskeano

Semi final of the Nations League. Should be full strength (minus injuries) squads for both sides. We are really going to miss Adams and, I can not believe I am typing these words, Ream.
Adams is a big miss as you saw with leeds but i'm looking forward to seeing Balo make his debut for the US. This will also be a big test for whoever steps in for Adams

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Adams is a big miss as you saw with leeds but i'm looking forward to seeing Balo make his debut for the US. This will also be a big test for whoever steps in for Adams
From the podcasts I have listened to the thought is that they will switch to a double pivot as opposed to swapping someone directly into his role. This is probably the best solution but I do wonder what that looks like. Weston and Mussah as 8's and Reyna or Aaronsson in as a 10? I honesly think LDT is a better option, but I don't see Mussah, or especially Weston, being dropped. The front 3 needs to be Pulisic, Weah, and Balogun.

Actually, I found this and it is what I was thinking:

bosskeano

that middle three and front 3 is what i would expect....my only fear for the middle 3 is Reyna and his poor defensive acumen and positioning. IT could really leave those two isolated if they try to defend in a 442

good to see richards in there just to see what he can do considering the hype he had prior to the injury

all in all it's not a bad starting XI.....really curious though to see the dual nationals get some minutes and play against the mexican side. would be a pretty emotional thing you would imagine for them

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
that middle three and front 3 is what i would expect....my only fear for the middle 3 is Reyna and his poor defensive acumen and positioning. IT could really leave those two isolated if they try to defend in a 442

good to see richards in there just to see what he can do considering the hype he had prior to the injury

all in all it's not a bad starting XI.....really curious though to see the dual nationals get some minutes and play against the mexican side. would be a pretty emotional thing you would imagine for them
I have the same concern, but there is not better option unless you go with Weston at the "10" and put LDT and Mussah in as the double pivot. That sucks on the offensive side, so it's a no-win situation. We really need to develop another #6.
Also, my guess is that M. Robinson gets the call at CB over Richards. He was excellent against Mexico in the Cash Grab Bowl(TM) .

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Four hours till kickoff! Blanton bottle taken out and a nice pint of Bernardud Abt 12 poured. Can’t wait!

NYAS

What’s up with the embarrassing number of empty seats for this first game? As a Concacaf follower I really thought we left this in the past.

I hope it’s just people still getting food and that it’ll fill out in a few minutes.

USREDEVIL

What’s up with the embarrassing number of empty seats for this first game? As a Concacaf follower I really thought we left this in the past.

I hope it’s just people still getting food and that it’ll fill out in a few minutes.
Doesnt the game start in like 2.5 hours?

bosskeano

oh hell....no one wants to watch canada against panama...the big match is the second one and they'll have the majority of fans for the final as well

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
oh hell....no one wants to watch canada against panama...the big match is the second one and they'll have the majority of fans for the final as well
And they could have made the big game at a normal freaking time.

bosskeano

I have the same concern, but there is not better option unless you go with Weston at the "10" and put LDT and Mussah in as the double pivot. That sucks on the offensive side, so it's a no-win situation. We really need to develop another #6.
Also, my guess is that M. Robinson gets the call at CB over Richards. He was excellent against Mexico in the Cash Grab Bowl(TM) .
The 6 is the ONE position the US doesn't have or hasn't developed an alternative to Adams. They've looked at LDT, Erik Williamson, Acosta...who are all shit. I think Aidan Morris is the kid they want to make into that type of Adams player. Let's see how they use Busio and Sonora if they come on at all.

bosskeano

And they could have made the big game at a normal freaking time.
haha....well kick off time in Vegas is 7pm so that's normal time for them. I live in central time but i'm in NC right now so i have to deal with EST now and i hate it. Kickoff is 9pm normal for me and ended at 11 is great.