US Politics

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
The antipathy is there because they’re linked, at least if you subscribe to the idea that wealth inequality is a major driver in a lack of funds for things like climate change solutions. And we’re not talking about normal wealthy either. This is the billionaire class we’re talking about. Even though the term is often used, a billion dollars is an unimaginable amount of money.
That sort of wealth is indeed unimaginable, but are you more concerned with the fact that they have it, or what they do with it? Far too many people (like 'nasty little twerp with crazy-bitter man opinions' above) concern themselves with the former and not the latter.

Anywho I think the tweet could have illustrated this in a better way as to bring perspective without indirectly suggesting we drain all three of their wealth. I did a look at the Forbes 400. Literally and I mean literally if the top 300 billionaires donated $1billion of their wealth to climate change, they’d still be billionaires! (This might actually fuel more antipathy)
They would, and they can't take it with them.

It's not all bad however. According to this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giving_Pledge, at least $500 billion of giving has been pledged by 204 individuals or couples, with a combined 2017 net worth of $1 trillion.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Happy someone is finally confronting the official #1 World's Biggest Anti-Semite

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
take these people seriously, it's as viable as anything else the mainstream has put forward, and if it means a few 100 million deaths then that's fine

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
when climate change accelerates out of control, we should leave this to our descendants, so that they understand

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
when climate change accelerates out of control, we should leave this to our descendants, so that they understand
She's insane but that little swirly symbol also happens to be used as a reference to child love. I doubt the toaster strudel packaging is actually promoting pedophilia but I've seen that symbol overlayed on photos of children.

One that comes to mind was a (now deleted) IG post by Asia Argento or her children with that symbol. If you don't know who she is, she was the crazy last girlfriend of Anthony Bourdain who probably tipped Anthony over the edge into killing himself. She's fecking crazy!

Blodssvik

Joe Dunford joins Lockheed Martin board of directors. Elevate threats and promote war at the highest level in Washington and a handsomely compensated board position awaits at a defense contractor. We all know how it works, what the incentives are and the media is complicit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Joe Dunford joins Lockheed Martin board of directors. Elevate threats and promote war at the highest level in Washington and a handsomely compensated board position awaits at a defense contractor. We all know how it works, what the incentives are and the media is complicit.
Not particularly unusual. People frequently leave military service and continue working in a field that they have experience with.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I knew the US kept Jews out, but I didn't know this was the ostensible reason:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I knew the US kept Jews out, but I didn't know this was the ostensible reason:

Ironic too because of the association between Jewish communities and wealth these days. It's almost as if coming to a land of opportunity led to people making the most of their opportunity. Whoa! What a concept!

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Arizona doesn't fecking care for purity berbatov
ironically goldwater was a great example of a purity candidate. he was very far right and got demolished in the general election. however, by pushing him, the conservatives (national review was their intellectual outlet) got their open anti-integration, segregation, anti-poor, anti-regulation agenda at the centre of the republican party (away from the dominant moderate wing led by his rival rockefeller). all that culminated in reagan, who pushed us politics to the right seemingly irrevesrsibly.
so goldwater shows both the possible strengths (long-term total victory) and weaknesses (short-term wipeout) of purity politics.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Barry Goldwater, an "American hero" who "did what was right", feck me! How ignorant (or morally bankrupt, or both) is it possible to get? Barry Goldwater was scum.
Goldwater’s brand of conservatism is long dead. First by way of Bushism, and now by Trumpism.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51365762

Sounds like Rush Limbaugh's dying.

I'm not one for celebrating death for the sake of it but if this bloke were to recover then he could continue to add to the considerable damage he's done to the world, so hopefully he's not with us much longer.

EDIT - I see we're doing this in the Fox thread. If anyone can be arsed to move this post, you have my blessing.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Trump's approval rating highest in 3 years per gallup.

I give up.