US Politics

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Thinking a bit about the history of the US and how many times public & official opinion got it so wrong. Just a few examples.
Slavery - turns out that was wrong.
You had the southerners thinking they were right in the civil war. They were not.
Forcibly "resettling" native Americans. Who's the genius that thought that one up?
The Chinese exclusion act - not so good.
Interning Japanese Americans during WWII. Yeah, that was shitty.
Wrong on Vietnam.
Wrong on Ali’s conviction on refusal of the draft.
Still wrong on not giving black folks equal rights.
Wrong on the Iraq war.
Wrong on Trump and all his BS including the Muslim ban, the "wall", etc.

So there are large parts of the US society and the Govmnt that consistently get it wrong.
How come they’re so shitty at this “common sense” thing?
Yeah they get it right too at times but honestly some of the decisions are so clearly wrong how could they not know that at the time? Their knee jerk reactions are :eek:

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The problem with a two party system. One party gets radicalised and the whole country goes tits up.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The party that stays relatively normal tends to benefit in such scenarios.
I'm not so sure. If there was a third option people could go to while e.g. the republicans sorted their shit out then maybe (ideally even more). With everything so polarised it takes a lot to change your vote to "the enemy" so people get entrenched in their views and cognitive dissonance sets in.

EDIT: Obviously the democrats benefited in the sense they won but the political discourse hasn't exactly improved and it looks increasingly like the new normal is that republicans don't give a shit about election results. And now they can say "look at the shit Biden's done" for the next four years regardless of whether he's actually done said shit or not.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Get ready for another round of crazy....

Oh wow. She's a fecking moron on a completely different level. She also used to work for Ted Cruz. Yet another loud mouthed Republican who just shouts lies over the top of anyone she is debating or conversing with. I think her and Kaleigh are besties too.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

The party screaming about unfair elections and cheating unsurprisingly vote to make it harder for people to vote. Sorry, making it harder for the people they don't want to vote, to be able to vote.

Surely it's time fair and equal voting rules and standards were enforced on a national scale?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

The party screaming about unfair elections and cheating unsurprisingly vote to make it harder for people to vote. Sorry, making it harder for the people they don't want to vote, to be able to vote.

Surely it's time fair and equal voting rules and standards were enforced on a national scale?
Gotta protect them white votes.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Arguing against child tax benefits proposed by Romney and Biden:

Halftrack

Saw people claiming the first woman to accuse him of sexual harassment, Lindsey Boylan, changed her story. I instinctively knew it was bullshit, because these people have proven themselves to be just as bad as the GOP when it comes to accusations against their guys.

Anyway, it was bullshit. She "changed her story" by going into more detail in an interview.

Drifter

American

They are being really open about their voter suppression now.

WPMUFC

Arguing against child tax benefits proposed by Romney and Biden:

Same kind of BS that's usually reserved for a Bernie fact check hit piece.

Remember the Pinocchio article that said Sanders was lying about the crime bill because "actually cops already targetted black people" so Sanders was deemed to be lying :lol:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I was looking at a vote on an amendment, which was defeated, and it was helpfully depicted by the individual's ideological score

Left = more liberal. They don't explain the 2nd dimension here.

Well, the 4 Ds at the bottom centre-left , much more conservative than the rest of the party, and close to Republicans, are ...
AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Pressley.

These ideology scores are genuinely useless! They seem to measure ideology based on Democrat bill = liberal and Republican bill = conservative, so AOC voting against some nonsense compromise means she is scored as more conservative.
Similar statistical analysis which "proved" in August, when Kamala Harris was nominated, that she was the "most progressive" senator.

Adisa

This is disgraceful.
White supremacy is the bedrock of American democracy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I genuinely believe that establishment Democrats are fine with the GOP’s shithouse tactics because they themselves want it to be finely balanced for two reasons:

1. There is a huge economy around electioneering and if they tipped the balance too much in their favour, donations would dry up.
2. If Democrats cruised to victory every four years and had a super majority, the battle then becomes a progressive vs liberal internal fight and establishment Democrats would rather concede to the GOP than concede to the progressive wing of their own party.

Adisa

I genuinely believe that establishment Democrats are fine with the GOP’s shithouse tactics because they themselves want it to be finely balanced for two reasons:

1. There is a huge economy around electioneering and if they tipped the balance too much in their favour, donations would dry up.
2. If Democrats cruised to victory every four years and had a super majority, the battle then becomes a progressive vs liberal internal fight and establishment Democrats would rather concede to the GOP than concede to the progressive wing of their own party.
Establishment Dems are not at the sharp end of GOP policies. They don't care.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I thought Gym Jordan's district was gerrymandered, but that's nothing compared with some in Texas.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I thought Gym Jordan's district was gerrymandered, but that's nothing compared with some in Texas.

For me nothing is worse than this one. If someone asked you to draw a line around the most heavily black communities in Alabama you could not do a better job than this. Alabama is 25% black, but has just one Democrat house seat.

Let's see if you can you find the one I'm talkin about.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
For me nothing is worse than this one. If someone asked you to draw a line around the most heavily black communities in Alabama you could not do a better job than this. Alabama is 25% black, but has just one Democrat house seat.

Let's see if you can you find the one I'm talkin about.

Honestly no idea. I’m sure that shows fcukery if you know where. But what one is fcuked up?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Honestly no idea. I’m sure that shows fcukery if you know where. But what one is fcuked up?
The 7th. If you look you will see the thin strip in the NE that cuts right into downtown Birmingham. In the SE the is a small blip that is a heavily black suburb AND downtown Montgomery. The also drew it to suck in Tuscaloosa so as to get the University students.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The 7th. If you look you will see the thin strip in the NE that cuts right into downtown Birmingham. In the SE the is a small blip that is a heavily black suburb AND downtown Montgomery. The also drew it to suck in Tuscaloosa so as to get the University students.
Sweet. Ta. 7 and 2 looked funky. But knowing nothing, I thought 6 might have been deliberately avoiding that strip.

It’s all a goddamn mess but thanks for clarifying.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Sweet. Ta. 7 and 2 looked funky. But knowing nothing, I thought 6 might have been deliberately avoiding that strip.

It’s all a goddamn mess but thanks for clarifying.
Yeah. 6 & 2 were drawn that way precisely to avoid the parts that are in 7.